Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#2879472 - 10/14/09 07:40 AM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: Blackdog_kt]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
Could someone ask Damon Slye if they are doing a version for the Amiga 500 too? I remember those heady days I passed hours of time when I was stationed in Korea in 91
playing RB, the steady green light as the floppy drive constantly accessed the floppy disk, the 4-5 frames per second action. But I still loved it. Anyway I will drag the amiga out of the shed and dust it off, and the old 1084S monitor. Hope they still work after 18 years. sigh

my system: Intel Core I7 920 @ 3570ghz
Asus P6T MB
6 GB OCZ DDR3 RAM , dram freq 680 mhz, NB freq 2720 mhz
Radeon HD 4870 w/ 1 Gb vram
OS.. Windows 7 professional 64 bit
WD 2 TB hard disk drive etc.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2879501 - 10/14/09 10:12 AM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: exhausted]  
Masaq Offline
T&T Admin
Masaq  Offline
T&T Admin

UK
Originally Posted By: exhausted
I saw make a new engine. We don't really need two WWI sims with the Il-2 code (Rise of Flight). That game pisses me off enough.

Keep in mine that a few of the old "aces" games were being remade then canceled. We will see how far this one goes with delight.

RoF isn't based on IL-2 code. It's not got even a line of the IL-2 engine in it.

#2879510 - 10/14/09 10:43 AM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: FlyRetired]  
WilliVonBill Offline
WilliVonBill  Offline

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: FlyRetired
Yes he could, and it's very cool he's thinking about the idea.

I'm waiting to see the first screenshots.

Early days yet, but I'll be eagerly awaiting screenshots as well. The impression I've gotten from Damon and the folks at Mad Otters is that the intent is for a serious sim rather than an arcade game. Here's hoping they pull it off! Lets face it... for a lot of us old simmers (that's SIMMERS, not SINNERS, Ming...) a modernized and updated Red Baron has been the holy grail of WWI flight simming.

Cheers m8!

WvB

~RB3D~First Eagles~OFF BH&H~RoF~
Its A Good Time To Be A WWI Sim Junkie!
#2879523 - 10/14/09 11:33 AM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: WilliVonBill]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
If they plan on making a realistic detailed flight sim with a new gfx engine and dynamic campaign then its going to take some time, lots of time in fact.

I wouldn't be happy with less than ROF's physics and aircraft modelling, for WW1 aircraft Neoqb have set the bar for those aspects now.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#2879567 - 10/14/09 01:50 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: Mogster]  
Gustang Offline
Gustang  Offline

Ramsey, MN
Originally Posted By: Mogster
If they plan on making a realistic detailed flight sim with a new gfx engine and dynamic campaign then its going to take some time, lots of time in fact.

I wouldn't be happy with less than ROF's physics and aircraft modelling, for WW1 aircraft Neoqb have set the bar for those aspects now.

And this is what I believe makes Russian developers the kings of flight sim development. JMO, but at this point, if the sim isn't being developed by a Russian development house, I wouldn't waste any time wondering what it's going to be like. I don't think the development cycle required for a (good) flight sim is possible anywhere else.

#2879578 - 10/14/09 02:07 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: Flybert]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: Flybert
Rebuild and expand the size / features of RBII/3D with modern graphics .. he does have the RBII source code now .. that could mean 200+ plane "slots", though I doubt more than 80 types, flyable in SP and MP would be used .. flyable 2-seaters and bombers in SP and MP with AI gunners, maybe human gunners .. dunno for sure what might be possible

Build a new Red Baron title from scratch in a new or proven existing flight engine with good Multiplay.

Eighty flyable aircraft types would take some time to model, and then there's the question if these planes would have 3D cockpits with them also. This to me is just one of those threshold questions, and just has me wondering what a sim of this ambitious intent could actually produce?

Perhaps something like a WWI IL-2:Birds Of Prey development, but utilizing old RB code, with either a modern graphics engine, or by licensing a complete (modern) game engine altogether, just sounds like a lot of backwards engineering involved.

#2879583 - 10/14/09 02:14 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: FlyRetired]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Not gonna risk holding my breath, here. So many good ideas have fallen by the wayside. When I hear it's approaching beta I'll start following it's progress.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#2879609 - 10/14/09 03:17 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: Pooch]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

You know looking back now, and how the Gennadich Team (the original design house behind Knights Of The Sky/ROF) arrived at doing a WWI sim, was certainly influenced by the fact that WWI hadn't been done on the IL-2 engine yet. As it was, the IL-2 engine idea was dropped, and the KOTS/ROF team decided to design its own flight sim engine, which after a few years exhausted the Gennadich support, and the team/project had to find a new sponsor, or cease development.

In retrospect, and in my opinion, if not for the fact that the IL-2 series had never ventured back to simulate WWI, I truely believe that the team behind ROF would never had chosen to build a WWI era sim.

#2879655 - 10/14/09 04:14 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: FlyRetired]  
Gustang Offline
Gustang  Offline

Ramsey, MN
In retrospect, and in my opinion, if not for the fact that the IL-2 series had never ventured back to simulate WWI, I truely believe that the team behind ROF would never had chosen to build a WWI era sim.

This is my belief as well. This is another reason why I tread very carefully when I find things about this sim that I don't like. I love the hobby too much and as far as I'm concerned, RoF is our Alamo.

#2879670 - 10/14/09 04:33 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: Gustang]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
IMO you all should just come back to flying FS-WWI...

wink

A Red Baron 4 would be super sweet though, if done in the same spirit as Red Baron 2/3d... Maybe they can license the OpenPlane engine?!?! biggrin Wishful thinking there...

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#2879686 - 10/14/09 04:56 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: ArgonV]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
RoF is our Alamo

It's my Gettysburg in which I play Abraham Lincoln most of the time but not all of the time

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2879690 - 10/14/09 04:58 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: ArgonV]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Originally Posted By: ArgonV
IMO you all should just come back to flying FS-WWI...

wink

LOL Jason! thumbsup

Would almost be like going to some bird sanctuary in comparison. wink

Gustang, I'm inclined to think that the Digital Nature engine and thereby Neoqb are lke the Alamo, but I respect your observation in direct reference to ROF. I doubt Neoqb is going to make money on ROF, but if they can pay the bills and stay in business, then the ND engine and the company's development opportunities might continue. With more retrospective contemplation, and as much as I love WWI, it's not a period that anyone designing a sim-grade game should contemplate as a first choice by far. I just hope Neoqb survives, and can maintain some standing in the sim world for it to be able to go forward from here.

#2879729 - 10/14/09 05:50 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
Gustang Offline
Gustang  Offline

Ramsey, MN
Originally Posted By: Ming_EAF19
RoF is our Alamo

It's my Gettysburg in which I play Abraham Lincoln most of the time but not all of the time

Ming

That's probably a much better analogy, Ming. I don't mean to imply that I believe RoF is our last bastion of hope, yet doomed. smile

FR,

I hope they constructed the sim engine in such a way that will allow them to license it out to third parties. Sure seems like a lot of effort to not do so.

#2879751 - 10/14/09 06:10 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: Gustang]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

Gustang, if they have or can, I would imagine the instructions would read like Russian.

#2879759 - 10/14/09 06:34 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: FlyRetired]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA

LOL Jason! thumbsup

Would almost be like going to some bird sanctuary in comparison. wink

I'm not quite getting that one mate... sigh

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#2879761 - 10/14/09 06:39 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: FlyRetired]  
Blackdog_kt Offline
Blackdog_kt  Offline

Originally Posted By: exhausted
I saw make a new engine. We don't really need two WWI sims with the Il-2 code (Rise of Flight). That game pisses me off enough.

Keep in mine that a few of the old "aces" games were being remade then canceled. We will see how far this one goes with delight.

Minor correction for clarity's sake. RoF doesn't use IL2 code, they said they would when they initially announced the project but decided to use a new engine later.

Similarly, when i referred to Oleg's new engine i meant the one that is going to be used in Storm of War:Battle of Britain, his next line of flight sims. According to him, the game was 80% complete as of his last SimHQ interview (during the summer or spring i think?) and what they have left is to model the ships and various other secondary things. So, if this is true the SoW engine is complete and maybe it would be possible for another developer to license it for use in a sim of his own.

Anyway, it would be awesome to have a new Red Baron title running on an up to date engine.

I also like the idea proposed by Catfish about a "wind tunnel" utility and i've been advocating it from time to time on Oleg's official forums.
Every FM out there is an approximation of the real thing, because our PCs are simply not powerful enough to run everything at 100% realism. I bet we could simulate true to life dynamics, but not with the graphics, sound and other things happening around you that we are used to seeing in a flight sim. Maybe if we relegated the horizon to a single line and our flyable to a cross-shaped vector graphic it would work, but it would be 21st century flight dynamics modelling with 1980s graphics. So, there need to be some shortcuts taken.

Now, let's imagine we have a new plane creation software suite. First, the 3D modellers design a new flyable whichever way they want (3D studio and so on). Then, the FM guys import it into this software suite, run the wind tunnel tool and let it crunch numbers for a few hours or even days. Heck, if it can run in network mode and use 10 PCs instead of just one then it would be even better (think distributed computing a la Seti@home for flight sims).

This utility would be as close as it gets to real aerodynamic modelling, basing it's computations on the shape, size, wheight, wheight distribution and horsepower for a given airframe, based on the imported 3D model and maybe even other properties of the materials used. For example, you could have a materials toolset, a database of properties for materials commonly used in aircraft construction, from wood and linen to aluminum and steel. This could be used to calculate the DM as well as wheight and wheight distribution for the FM. Marking different areas and objects in the 3D model with different flags, you could assign those preset properties to them and tell your software that for example, these spars on your Hurricane are made of metal, but the covering is fabric and so on, letting it calculate the important bits.

So, after a week of having a dozen i7 based PCs working on an network crunching numbers, we would now have an almost true to life virtual copy of the airframe in question. One that we can't use in any flight sim because it will grind everything to a halt that is. This is the really nifty bit, our little software suite would come equiped with one more final function, one to approximate and extract the final simulated FM and DM from the real one. Then, you could import those parameters into the sim and have an aircraft that flies as close as possible to the real thing, limited only by the engine's capabilities.

It would be a lot of work to code something like this and i guess we won't see this for years to come, but with the longevity that comes from modding flight sims, some developers have started talking about such prospects in the future. Instead of doing manual calculations, approximations and coding the FM/DM, they would have to code such a tool once and let it do the dirty work. From that point on, people could create a flyable plane per week if they knew the materials used in its construction, engine rated power and had an accurate 3D model of it. Well, we can dream, can't we? biggrin

#2879780 - 10/14/09 07:10 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: Blackdog_kt]  
Mahoney Offline
Mahoney  Offline

Twickenham, London, UK
Originally Posted By: Blackdog_kt
According to [Oleg Maddox], [Storm of War: Battle of Britain] was 80% complete as of his last simHQ interview (during the summer or spring i think?)

Anyone else's heart sink? In software the first 90% of any project takes 50% of the time, and the last 10% takes 50% of the time. Always. If he's only at 80% we've got a good few years to wait yet.

#2879797 - 10/14/09 07:45 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: Mahoney]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Yep, that's right!

And that's the engines, not the stuff that plugs into it.

When we look at Rise of Flight, we see an engine that's 100% done, from netcode to FM/DM/AI.

Indeed, what's missing is probably 3% of the sim - Settings/user interface, campaign improvements, DF map capability, etc. It's also really the only part of the sim users really see.

I used to build statistical models that tracked trends and helped in making projections. I would spend almost as much time in the presentation of the data and conclusions as I would putting together the analysis itself! Not a single decision maker cared one whit about how the sausage was made (other than casually), only that they could understand and apply the end points within ten to twenty minutes, from slide to policy decision.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#2879919 - 10/14/09 10:42 PM Re: Red Baron 4 (kind of) announced [Re: Dart]  
BlueRaven Offline
Flight Instructor
BlueRaven  Offline
Flight Instructor

Oklahoma
X-plane builds it's own flight model from the design of the plane. It has a plane maker utility and after you design the plane, it will determine the flight model from the design.

Does anyone else here have any experience with X-plane?

bananadancebananadancebananadancebananadance attack ar15 bananadancebananadancebananadancebananadance
God damned bananas!!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.