Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2765898 - 07/08/09 07:27 AM Most fuel efficient vehicle in the world? (Aprox. 1,400 MPG)  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/07/07/sahi...-liter-of-fuel/

Quote:
Students from Turkey’s Sakarya University have unveiled a remarkable attempt at creating Europe’s most fuel efficient vehicle. The SAHİMO is a hydrogen powered vehicle that is capable of traveling 568 kilometers on 1 liter of fuel (about 353 miles on a quarter gallon). The students’ ultimate goal is to trek SAHİMO across 3,000 kilometers of the Australian Outback on just 3 liters of fuel in the inaugural 2009 Global Green Challenge. And you thought you were getting good mileage out of your Prius!

The SAHİMO is truly a lightweight carbon fiber vehicle, weighting less than 110 kilograms. It won third most efficient vehicle at the 26th Shell Eco Marathon held in Europe. The designers hope to improve SAHİMO’s performance, equipping it to reach a full 1,000 kilometers/per 1 liter of fuel, before participating in the Global Green Challenge in October.

For practical purposes it's not a very good vehicle, but still if they can get this kind of fuel efficiency from it now, it's not hard to imagine street cars in the near future doing over 100Mpg easily.

©2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2765946 - 07/08/09 10:11 AM Re: Most fuel efficient vehicle in the world? (Aprox. 1,400 MPG) [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Vulgarity Offline
Vulgarity  Offline

Except it deals in the fallacy of hydrogen fuel.

Hydrogen fuel (at least in this century) is fools gold.

#2766015 - 07/08/09 12:59 PM Re: Most fuel efficient vehicle in the world? (Aprox. 1,400 MPG) [Re: Vulgarity]  
Billzilla Offline
Billzilla  Offline

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
It's actually 1600 mpg!
But still not a practical road car - I think the record for purely fuel-economy cars only is something like 3,500mpg+.

Out of ammo
Out of energy
Out of ideas
Down to harsh language
#2802198 - 07/08/09 05:41 PM Re: Most fuel efficient vehicle in the world? (Aprox. 1,400 MPG) [Re: Billzilla]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

French MicroJoule concept car gets 8,923 miles per gallon
http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/03/18/transportation-tuesday-8923-miles-per-gallon/

Yet the driver's neck is irreparably damaged, I'd think! biggrin

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#2813286 - 07/08/09 06:34 PM Re: Most fuel efficient vehicle in the world? (Aprox. 1,400 MPG) [Re: Vulgarity]  
chronoPilot Offline
chronoPilot  Offline

Seattle, WA, USA
Originally Posted By: Vulgarity
Except it deals in the fallacy of hydrogen fuel.

Hydrogen fuel (at least in this century) is fools gold.

They had a prototype there - what was it running on? I don't think the technology is hydrogen fusion, which might be what you're thinking of?

Not by accident does Genesis 3 make the father of knowledge a serpent - H.L. Mencken
#2813291 - 07/08/09 06:39 PM Re: Most fuel efficient vehicle in the world? (Aprox. 1,400 MPG) [Re: chronoPilot]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
I don't presume to know the science and theory behind it..but I think what Vulgarity is alluding to is that the energy required to make the hydrogen that the car runs on has to be factored into the "efficiency" of the vehicle. So..an all electric car would theoretically get "infinite MPG" since it never burns a gallon of gas..but obviously the energy to run it comes from some other form of energy input.

That said..still looks like a darned efficient piece of kit..good for them!

BeachAV8R

#2813377 - 07/08/09 08:02 PM Re: Most fuel efficient vehicle in the world? (Aprox. 1,400 MPG) [Re: chronoPilot]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: chronoPilot

I don't think the technology is hydrogen fusion, which might be what you're thinking of?

Yea, doesn't seem like fusion at all, that would be a massive project that would cost too much and have it's own impracticalities.

Originally Posted By: chronoPilot

They had a prototype there - what was it running on?

It's not terribly clear is it?

Perhaps it's hydrogen fuel cell... but you'd think they'd call it that. Also, I'm not sure that fuel cells are that small and compact, or efficient enough to put in that tiny racer. Which leads me to think perhaps this is a small piston engine that is burning hydrogen as internal combustion, something that is most certainly been done many times in the past. Discovery channel used to show a Fiero someone converted the motor to hydrogen. Main problem was that it produced less power, and the hydrogen was costly and wouldn't stay in the tank for long.

Personally I think we'll get much better results out of electric cars that use "ultra capacitors" as the storage devices, along with new efficient car accessories that don't drain the power quickly: if you can't use windshield wipers, headlights, stereo and iPod dock, heater or A/C and still go the distances you need to go, it's gonna be a tough sell. Give it five years though, and I think it'll happen.

Fusion on the other hand, might eventually create the electricity that will flow from the wall plug into your capacitor-electric car, which would reduce demand for fossil fuels a bit every year as acceptance of the electric increases.

Now, I'd like to see a heavy duty pickup like the F450 Superduty be available in a diesel hybrid, I think that would sell better than most think. You know, actual trucks that do heavy work. Electric drivetrains for that would be more dependable and have more AVAILABLE torque through the entire speed range... meaning if you needed a lot of torque to simply get the truck moving that first meter/foot, it'll have all the torque available to you and more smoothly too. That means "awesome" for trucks with full weight loads on steep hills. Considering how much driving these trucks do, it'll also cut down on fuel burn and air pollutants too.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.