Thanks for your continued work on the engine failure mod. BB -- looking forward to further results. While tinkering with the Italian front mod. in PE/UE 4.18, I have in the meantime plugged in the following variation on stock UE/PE-era engine damage nos., and it immediately results in a world of hurt, so to speak:

<Failure weight="1.0" masterdisable="n">
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_one" average_hrs="40" damageAmount_pct="36" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_one" average_hrs="70" damageAmount_pct="75" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_one" average_hrs="100" damageAmount_pct="10" frequency_secs="106" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_one" average_hrs="140" damageAmount_pct="14" frequency_secs="30" dump="y"/>

<FailureRule SystemID="engine_two" average_hrs="40" damageAmount_pct="36" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_two" average_hrs="70" damageAmount_pct="75" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_two" average_hrs="100" damageAmount_pct="10" frequency_secs="109" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_two" average_hrs="140" damageAmount_pct="14" frequency_secs="30" dump="y"/>

<FailureRule SystemID="coolant_reservoir" average_hrs="50" damageAmount_pct="9" frequency_secs="27" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="coolant_reservoir" average_hrs="45" damageAmount_pct="55" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="oil_reservoir" average_hrs="100" damageAmount_pct="10" frequency_secs="45" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="oil_reservoir" average_hrs="45" damageAmount_pct="55" dump="y"/>
</Failure>

Failure nos. above, plugged in to simulation.xml in PE/UE 4.18, gave a total of three engine failures for various flights of eight aircraft total (both friendly and enemy flights; this was in the Zepp-busting mission for the Italian mod.). One Alb. D.II experienced engine failure, as well as a standard Alb. D.III, and a SPAD VII. Two SPADs XIII, two Alb. D.V (170hp) variants, and an OAW-built Albatros continued along merrily. In short, the no. of aircraft failing was horrendous (37.5%) and immediately seen. Will perhaps post a few pics. under the Italian mod. thread. Moral of story: will leave stock UE/PE engine failure nos. alone in my PE/UE 4.18 install since the failure rate is already, with those nos., anywhere from 9 to 12% on average, I would say, given various factors and variables - possibly closer to about 15% in actual, in-sim results in my PE/UE install.

Stock UE/PE damage nos. follow below:

<Failure weight="1.0" masterdisable="n">
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_one" average_hrs="60" damageAmount_pct="31" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_one" average_hrs="90" damageAmount_pct="70" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_one" average_hrs="120" damageAmount_pct="5" frequency_secs="111" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_one" average_hrs="160" damageAmount_pct="9" frequency_secs="35" dump="y"/>

<FailureRule SystemID="engine_two" average_hrs="60" damageAmount_pct="31" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_two" average_hrs="90" damageAmount_pct="70" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_two" average_hrs="120" damageAmount_pct="5" frequency_secs="114" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="engine_two" average_hrs="160" damageAmount_pct="9" frequency_secs="35" dump="y"/>

<FailureRule SystemID="coolant_reservoir" average_hrs="70" damageAmount_pct="4" frequency_secs="32" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="coolant_reservoir" average_hrs="65" damageAmount_pct="50" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="oil_reservoir" average_hrs="120" damageAmount_pct="5" frequency_secs="50" dump="y"/>
<FailureRule SystemID="oil_reservoir" average_hrs="65" damageAmount_pct="50" dump="y"/>
</Failure>

I will do some tests of the missions I am tinkering with, for the Italian mod., with the top set of failure nos. included in this post, in BH&H2, to see if the damage/failure results are not as drastic, on ave., as they are in PE/UE 4.18 -- and also to see if the nos. are a better alternative for BH&H2 than stock UE/PE failure nos. copied over -- if the 13% theoretical failure rate of that first set of nos. results in actual in-sim failure rates of about 10 or 11% in BH&H2, I will be pleased. I am/will be testing these nos. via the simulation.xml file -- will look later on into individual failure rates plugged into xdp files for some aircraft -- perhaps after I finish with my missions pack for the Italian mod.

NOTE: impressions above are for modified failure nos. in PE/UE-era WoFF -- future tests will involve plugging in such modified nos. into BH&H2.

Cheers all,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 09/04/22 05:12 PM. Reason: Added info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~