Hi Becker01/OrbyxP and all those who have contributed up to now.

I am going to put my attempt to make this Engine Failure mod by editing the individual aircraft xdp files on hold.

Although I have been able to get it to work on my system, and think that with persistence and following Polovski's advice, I could eventually produce a mod that is easily transferable to other systems, the effort and time required to to do this (and then to do it again, every time a new patch or version of WOFF is released by the developers) is going to make it impractical as a mod. The idea of editing the individual aircraft xdp is, I think, in theory a good one and has several advantages over the alternative one of editing the generic 'simulation' file, but in practice it is likely to be unworkable unless it be done in such a way as to be easy to install and update (and I can't think of any easy way to do the latter, although the former might be possible). The alternative, of making several edited 'simulation' files that can be swapped in and out for different engine types is less satisfactory but more workable, I think, as it is easier to update and less likely to introduce problems, as only one file (in several different versions) needs to be edited and updated rather than 800 plus!

If anyone else wants to have a go and to carry on with this approach based on editing the aircraft xdp files, then I am happy to pass on my folder of 800 plus edited aircraft xdp files!

B.