Originally Posted By: dfbeck
Have you ever considered porting the code to Linux?

I don't know if you're aware, but SAMSIM will work through wine. Though I had to play about with settings a little first to get it working.

I've had it working in Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04.

There seems to be a huge memory leak when you use the game normally in WINE, meaning you can only run it for a minute at most before your system is in trouble. I found a way to fix it though.

I copied the file oleaut32 . dll from a windows vista machine, and put it in the same directory as sam.exe. Then in the libraries tab of wine config, I found oleaut32 . dll in the overide menu and added it, so wine would actually use the file.

There also seems to be a problem where your desktop or software running under Linux will steal keyboard focus away from sam sim, meaning you can't press any keys. To fix that select "Emulate a virtual desktop" under the graphics tab of wine config. And set the desktop size to 1280x1024.

This completely fixes the memory leak, and the keyboard problem. The game now works fine for me under Ubuntu 12.04.

Under 10.04 however, there still is a problem after the oleaut32 . dll fix and the game will freeze after a couple of switch clicks. The only solution I've found so far is to disable sound. But it'll work fine, as long as you're okay playing in silence.

I have no idea what problems anyone else has had getting SAMSIM working under Linux, but this is what I had to do to get it working through Wine. Hope it helps.