Originally Posted By: Vindicore

First question: if you look at that guide I have used a GND, VCC, A3 and A2 pins for the thumbstick which works just fine with MMJoy2 – if I want to add a second thumbstick I would use A1 and A0, but do I simply connect that to VCC in parallel with the original thumbstick I put in?

Each "thumbstick" has 2 axis inputs plus +5V (VCC) and GND pins.

In MMJoy each axis need a exclusive input, but the +5V VCC and GND can be shared with all axis used.

Quote:

Second question(s): I only want to add at most 8 buttons so I presume that I do not need a button matrix? Looking at SolderMonkey’s set up on page 14 that seems to be the case.

Depends on how many buttons is need press at same time the ghost eventually can happen.

Do a test, if ghost appear, add diodes - is simple and cheap.

Quote:

Third question: if I wanted to use some toggle switches instead of momentary push buttons what extra work would it require?

No, but for work in games as ON and OFF will be need a keymapper software with function "mapped key on press" and "mapped key on release" because games are in general designed for momentary commands only and most functions are mapped for press a button to engage, press the same button again to disengage.

Without the software will be need toggle switch ON to - for example - turn ON navigation lights and turn the toggle switch OFF and ON again to turn OFF the navigation lights... awkward and spoil the visual feedback of ON/OFF state of the switch.

If the game allow map one key/button for toggle the lights ON and other to toggle OFF using a DPDT toggle switch you get the correct operation expected for the the toggle switch: Up ON, down OFF.

Or by adding a extra hardware with optocouplers/relay/condenser to translate the ON and OFF states of toggle switch in momentarily key press. Some USB controller cards do this in firmware, example Desktop Aviator ones, the old Mjoy16 too for some inputs.