In wwi planes communicated with hand signals, plane movements and various other things. We currently only have a few hand signals.

WWI Pilots spend most of their day practicing signals, getting to know their fellow pilots, learning the terrain, memorizing emergency procedures and flight plans. It was their job and their lives depended on it.

We today play this as a game. As such no one is going to spend 4 hours a day practicing communication techniques and memorizing the terrain. We also do not have any form of ready room to share our plans, photos or maps. 4 hours of preflight time is compressed into the 30 seconds before you click fly and 99% of the pilots out there are only looking for a bit of fun and do not take this so seriously.

So the environment is nto the same from wwi to a game about wwi. Why would you expect people to treat it any differently?

I would go even further and say that squad communications in flight back there were better than communication over team speak now for most squads.

Instead of everyone in the squadron knowing the map, plan, plane recognitions, basic and advanced flight techniques and hand signals for communication it all comes down to the flight leader generally. That one flight leader can not spend all day printing maps and trying to explain a flight plan to pilots for a server that rotates to a different map every 30 minutes. Instead you have to generate what would have taken 4-8 hours in a matter of minutes and explain that plan to your pilots in even less time.

To cope with that change most people just log into team speak and explain what they are doing in flight while climbing out of the aerodrome.

WWI is not anything like a WWI sim and the limitations of the sim mean that you can not use historic methods of communication because people do not have the time give RoF a full time job's worth of hours. Maybe you feel differently about it than I do but I find the argument ridiculous.