Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23
#4091844 - 03/13/15 07:57 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Im not eastern, so.....
and Im not a ED employee, sooo^2

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4091850 - 03/13/15 08:05 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: heartc]  
heartc Offline
heartc  Offline

Originally Posted By: heartc
But when looking at what some people even from the community are saying today

So...?

Really, I don't want to be confrontational / offensive, but a discussion is tough to have if people refuse to hear what was actually said.

Oh, and please - I know you are not an "employee" per se, but I figure there is a reason you had that description there put under your name. And that's perfectly fine. Just don't pretend it has nothing to do with anything whatsoever, either, please.

I'm not your enemy. I bought almost all the sims that came out under the label you are a tester / moderator of. So, instead of going defensive, you should maybe forward the considerations some of "your" customers have. smile

#4091858 - 03/13/15 08:22 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
msalama Offline
msalama  Offline

Well I _don't_ think it has much to do with "not getting it". Those machines, and I'm talking about the fully-modelled modules released so far, have most likely been so resource-consuming to develop that they simply might've not had the time for anything else (again, so far). Now, whether they could've envisioned a better business / development model, I won't comment on; but this is the route they took regardless.

Personally, I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to machinery of all kinds, and thus have no problems with the status quo as it is. But again, I of course wouldn't _oppose_ them doing a dynamic campaign / content engine either; why, on the contrary, I'd actually buy such a module immediately smile

But to conclude, the point I'm trying to make is that while I'm comfortable with the situation, I also realize others may not be. And more power to everyone wink

#4091859 - 03/13/15 08:25 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Just to clarify, ED Testers and most Moderators are not legal employees of ED/TFC. As was me, I was essentially a "contractor" brought in to do textures, and assist where I could. Otherwise man I NEVER or nor do they for that matter as far as I know, collect a paycheck from ED/TFC. They get some good access and information, but I worked quite a bit here and there and never got any sort of monetary compensation (other than a free copy of BS1). Otherwise they'd have something more official, etc. So while they're not employees they still represent the company in their own way but don't determine actual company policy, or philosophy.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4091862 - 03/13/15 08:30 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Yikes!

Ok gents…I apologize for taking the OP further off topic…that's my bad. Since it is a thread about the F-14 by Leatherneck maybe we should save this conversation for another thread?

Skate…it's your thread…if you want me to clean it up from the last couple of pages I will do so.

smile

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4091865 - 03/13/15 08:41 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: msalama]  
heartc Offline
heartc  Offline

Originally Posted By: msalama
Well I _don't_ think it has much to do with "not getting it". Those machines, and I'm talking about the fully-modelled modules released so far, have most likely been so resource-consuming to develop that they simply might've not had the time for anything else so far. Now, whether they could've envisioned a better business / development model, I won't comment on; but this is the route they took regardless.

Well, I get all that and we've been through all that in the other thread, "Any decent campaigns yet?". And while I could point out the 11 odd years with nothing much happening campaign-wise in this context again, I specifically don't understand why they didn't outsource this as a third party project or why no one stepped up to do that. Well, maybe now that they have instigated a DLC concept for campaign creators, it might happen. But I'm not overly optimistic there. After all, the next shiney craft is still easier to market than what some people might percieve as an abstract concept. Only that it is the very opposite of abstract, it is a very hands-on experience once you have it, and a much better way to bind customers to your vision than "just" dropping 49$ birds on them that people wonder what else to do with them once they figured out the systems and flown the 10 odd missions - if any missions are provided at all.

Heck, they or a third party could lay down the ground work for a dynamic campaign system and make it modular, so it would serve as a template for third parties to create their own scenarios for the individual modules. F86 / MiG15 in a "MiG Alley" setting, A-10 in a CAS setting etc.

#4091867 - 03/13/15 08:46 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: Force10]  
heartc Offline
heartc  Offline

Originally Posted By: Force10
Yikes!

Ok gents…I apologize for taking the OP further off topic…that's my bad. Since it is a thread about the F-14 by Leatherneck maybe we should save this conversation for another thread?

Skate…it's your thread…if you want me to clean it up from the last couple of pages I will do so.

smile

Well, if we can't have "dynamic discussions", I wonder if we will ever see dynamic campaigns again. wink I mean, people are free to return to the original topic. It wasn't my intention to derail the thread either, it just happened, dynamically. wink And I will not just swoop in with dynamic campaigns again when people start talking about the '14 again. Though the topic of the F-14 died down by itself after some 9 pages or so. But you run the show.

#4091873 - 03/13/15 08:57 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
No need to clean, everything is about the tomcat in one way or another.
Opinions about dcs relate as the tomcat will be in DCS.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4091874 - 03/13/15 09:02 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
heartc Offline
heartc  Offline

Thank you. cheers

#4091876 - 03/13/15 09:09 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
No need to clean, everything is about the tomcat in one way or another.
Opinions about dcs relate as the tomcat will be in DCS.

Thanks! thumbsup

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4091881 - 03/13/15 09:40 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
msalama Offline
msalama  Offline

Quote:
easier to market than what some people might percieve as an abstract concept

Exactly. And many of the rest would perceive it as "plumbing", making it hard to market again. Unless there was a clear public sentiment - and a clearly stated willingness to pay - for it, of course...

PS. Getting altogether OT now, so I'll just get my coat. S! all.

#4091887 - 03/13/15 09:51 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
heartc Offline
heartc  Offline

Well, either way, I love how this thread went, because it modeled exactly what the idea behind a dynamic campaign is, for those who maybe missed out on the concept: You take off in an F-14 Tomcat, but then end up in an unpredictable, non-scripted threat (or thread wink ) environment, where one thing leads to another, and your efforts might change the situation in the theater you are flying in. biggrin

#4091904 - 03/13/15 10:43 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
heartc Offline
heartc  Offline

P.S. Since I feel semi-responsible for derailing the thread, here is my contribution to return it to the Cat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxFq16IG_k0&feature=player_detailpage#t=11

wink

#4091923 - 03/13/15 11:23 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Personally I couldn't care less about a dynamic campaign, I just would like to fly around in it.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4092015 - 03/14/15 07:35 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

I just hope they simulate the air war, pilot career and carrier operations a bit more than we have seen before. I'm interested in the whole package, not just how the actual aircraft works.

-C-

#4092088 - 03/14/15 02:28 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
heat2151 Offline
heat2151  Offline

NY
Hey All,

Since we are now back on track. Here's one from the Leatherneck Simulations Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/leathernecksim?fref=photo

Oh yeah!! Fear the bones baby! biggrin

Heat2151
USN Retired'08 salute

Last edited by heat2151; 03/14/15 07:18 PM.

My World is simple, I answer to the CINC House: My Wife, my Kids, my troops: 2 German Shepherds.
I just love Flying Flight Sim's, and driving my 2017 Challenger SRT .

My Dark Blue Beast.
Cooler Master HAF X Blue-Liquid Cooled
Windows 10 64 Bit
Intel i7 6950X 10c@4.0 Ghz
Asus Rampage V X99
Asus GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb
Corsair 64 Gb DDR4 (8x8Gb)
Corsair AX 1500 Watt P/S
2 SSD's (1 Tb)
2 WD Velociraptor's(1 Tb)
2 Spin point F4(2 Tb)
2 WD Green(6 Tb)
Track iR Pro, X-55 HOTAS & Pro rudder pedals.
#4094757 - 03/21/15 04:37 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

Quote:

Dear All,

First off, thank you all for your kind words of support and positive attitude to our announcement.
It is a great motivator to put in those long hours when you know you've got such a great community behind you.
Sincere gratitude from the entire team. Also a big thank you to those of you who have gone above and beyond to spread the news of our announcement.
While it's still relatively early in the development process, it's good to get some awareness out there right off the bat.

We've been kind of quiet lately, but not to worry; it is simply an effect of the large workload placed on each and every member of the team.
Ambitious plans require hard work and much of our focus lies on attaining planned development sprints.

Unfortunately, a byproduct of this is that many of your questions about the F-14 have gone unanswered. I've been gathering many of these and they will be answered in the FAQ section of our new F-14 site section coming next week.
Therein you will also find a lot of information on various features of the aircraft and our design goals for e.g. JESTER AI.

We're due for a monthly update, which will have some information about other developments and the MiG-21.
Thus, I'll be keeping this F-14 specific update fairly short.

Art Development

We're now essentially feature complete on both exterior and interior models for the F-14, including the majority of integration work and animations.
Thus, preparatory work for diffuse, specular and normal map texture creation has begun.

With the F-14, we're pioneering several new techniques based on the tried-and-tested industry standard sculpting and baking workflow.
We've already put this to good use for our other unreleased, in development aircraft, but we're hoping to take it that one step further for the F-14.
We hope we can further enhance the realism of both our exterior and interior textures and the initial results are very promising.

It's very exciting for us as artists to have the opportunity to apply years of accumulated knowledge to a project such as the F-14. We hope to capture every minutiae detail, down to the touched up lumps of paint.

Something many of you have concerns about is performance. We're taking a very pro-active stance on ensuring that performance is optimal at release this time around.
We very much wish to ensure that the F-14 will perfectly on the vast majority of systems, and approaching things more carefully from the beginning will make it easier for us to make adjustments in the future.

Attached below you can see some Work in Progress renders of the cockpit.
Do note that these images have flaws, so take them with a few pinches of salt.

Codebase Development

Not counting the Radar and HUD (two big systems in themselves), the Tomcat contains, by our count, roughly 67 Major systems, of which 37 are related to Flight and Flight Controls.
In addition to this, one must take into account the size and difficulty of both the JESTER AI system and the External Flight Model. Noting that the F-14 is a massively difficult undertaking is putting it mildly.

Currently, heavy focus lies on creation of the AICS (Inlet Control System), Hydraulic System and Electrical System.
These systems, together with the Engine and grouped control systems lay the basis for the construction of the swing-wing EFM that will capture the spirit and real performance of the F-14.

There is yet a long road ahead, and many difficult tasks to complete, but we have absolutely no reservations about our capabilities nor our choice of aircraft.

We look forward to sharing more progress with you soon.
Thank you for your support,

Sincerely,
Leatherneck Simulations

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2356192&postcount=1

Progress looks good. I'm curious if they'll use the common cockpit for both aircraft, or if the B will get some upgrades (PTID,upgraded rwr w/ separate screen, SPARROWHAWK HUD). Either way I'm excited.

Off to greener pastures
#4094792 - 03/21/15 09:09 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Penguran Offline
Penguran  Offline

Hornet renders look horrible in comparison. Step it up ED, LNS is carrying DCS for you at this point. biggrin

Great job LN, lookig forward to this one very much.

#4094871 - 03/21/15 02:40 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: near_blind]  
heat2151 Offline
heat2151  Offline

NY
Originally Posted By: near_blind
Quote:

Dear All,

First off, thank you all for your kind words of support and positive attitude to our announcement.
It is a great motivator to put in those long hours when you know you've got such a great community behind you.
Sincere gratitude from the entire team. Also a big thank you to those of you who have gone above and beyond to spread the news of our announcement.
While it's still relatively early in the development process, it's good to get some awareness out there right off the bat.

We've been kind of quiet lately, but not to worry; it is simply an effect of the large workload placed on each and every member of the team.
Ambitious plans require hard work and much of our focus lies on attaining planned development sprints.

Unfortunately, a byproduct of this is that many of your questions about the F-14 have gone unanswered. I've been gathering many of these and they will be answered in the FAQ section of our new F-14 site section coming next week.
Therein you will also find a lot of information on various features of the aircraft and our design goals for e.g. JESTER AI.

We're due for a monthly update, which will have some information about other developments and the MiG-21.
Thus, I'll be keeping this F-14 specific update fairly short.

Art Development

We're now essentially feature complete on both exterior and interior models for the F-14, including the majority of integration work and animations.
Thus, preparatory work for diffuse, specular and normal map texture creation has begun.

With the F-14, we're pioneering several new techniques based on the tried-and-tested industry standard sculpting and baking workflow.
We've already put this to good use for our other unreleased, in development aircraft, but we're hoping to take it that one step further for the F-14.
We hope we can further enhance the realism of both our exterior and interior textures and the initial results are very promising.

It's very exciting for us as artists to have the opportunity to apply years of accumulated knowledge to a project such as the F-14. We hope to capture every minutiae detail, down to the touched up lumps of paint.

Something many of you have concerns about is performance. We're taking a very pro-active stance on ensuring that performance is optimal at release this time around.
We very much wish to ensure that the F-14 will perfectly on the vast majority of systems, and approaching things more carefully from the beginning will make it easier for us to make adjustments in the future.

Attached below you can see some Work in Progress renders of the cockpit.
Do note that these images have flaws, so take them with a few pinches of salt.

Codebase Development

Not counting the Radar and HUD (two big systems in themselves), the Tomcat contains, by our count, roughly 67 Major systems, of which 37 are related to Flight and Flight Controls.
In addition to this, one must take into account the size and difficulty of both the JESTER AI system and the External Flight Model. Noting that the F-14 is a massively difficult undertaking is putting it mildly.

Currently, heavy focus lies on creation of the AICS (Inlet Control System), Hydraulic System and Electrical System.
These systems, together with the Engine and grouped control systems lay the basis for the construction of the swing-wing EFM that will capture the spirit and real performance of the F-14.

There is yet a long road ahead, and many difficult tasks to complete, but we have absolutely no reservations about our capabilities nor our choice of aircraft.

We look forward to sharing more progress with you soon.
Thank you for your support,

Sincerely,
Leatherneck Simulations

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2356192&postcount=1

Progress looks good. I'm curious if they'll use the common cockpit for both aircraft, or if the B will get some upgrades (PTID,upgraded rwr w/ separate screen, SPARROWHAWK HUD). Either way I'm excited.

Great post, this feedback is excellent news on the progress of the F-14. You make a good point regarding the diffrent type of cockpit models. Knowing LNS I think they will release it in both

Here's a few pic's:

Heat2151
USN Retired
"Mr, We could use a man like, Ronald Reagan again, those where the days"

Last edited by heat2151; 03/21/15 02:44 PM.

My World is simple, I answer to the CINC House: My Wife, my Kids, my troops: 2 German Shepherds.

My Dark Blue Beast.
Windows 10 64 Bit
Asus Rampage V X99
Asus GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb
Corsair AX 1500 Watt P/S
2 SSD's (1 Tb)
2 Spin point F4(2 Tb)
2 WD Green(6 Tb)
#4094892 - 03/21/15 03:41 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
heat2151 Offline
heat2151  Offline

NY
Hello All,

From their Facebook pages. Man, I cant wait to take this baby for a ride. She's looking purdy biggrin Thank you Leatherneck Simulations for keeping us in the loop.

https://www.facebook.com/leathernecksim

NSFW... wink

Heat2151
USN Retired salute
Mr, We could use a man like, Ronald Reagan again, those where the days".

Last edited by heat2151; 03/22/15 11:40 AM.

My Dark Blue Beast.
Windows 10 64 Bit
Asus Rampage V X99
Asus GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb
Corsair AX 1500 Watt P/S
2 SSD's (1 Tb)
2 Spin point F4(2 Tb)
2 WD Green(6 Tb)
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Top 50 cities in the world by population
by PanzerMeyer. 07/21/24 10:28 PM
Had a close call this past Sunday
by NH2112. 07/20/24 03:55 AM
Happy Blue Friday
by DM. 07/19/24 08:30 AM
Bob Newhart was 94
by F4UDash4. 07/18/24 08:29 PM
Yahoo Dynasty football league
by WangoTango. 07/17/24 02:12 PM
The Last of "The Few" Turns 105
by F4UDash4. 07/17/24 11:48 AM
Dear Amazon... What Is The Deal?
by F4UDash4. 07/17/24 02:20 AM
This is getting bad....
by WangoTango. 07/15/24 08:35 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.