Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#3830341 - 09/01/13 07:44 PM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: rootango]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Its a very ambitious project Slip, though looks like he has a very good and a experienced team, building on a already working engine, so he has a head start, a bit like BOS building on ROF.

Think i saw Luthier say a year from now for the release, tough to do i think with the level of detail in DCS aircraft.

Will i pump money into the kickstarter? i dont think so straight away, but maybe after a few months of seeing progress.

Next year could be a whopper for WW2 sims.

Wonder if Jason knew this was coming, hence the big push for pre-orders?

I think they can both live in the same world, with out problems.

#3830349 - 09/01/13 07:56 PM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
Its a very ambitious project Slip, though looks like he has a very good and a experienced team, building on a already working engine, so he has a head start, a bit like BOS building on ROF.

Think i saw Luthier say a year from now for the release, tough to do i think with the level of detail in DCS aircraft.

Will i pump money into the kickstarter? i dont think so straight away, but maybe after a few months of seeing progress.

So typically, what are we looking at as an individual's dollar amount investment

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3830361 - 09/01/13 08:08 PM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based

Yes Jason of 777 is downright strange about competitors. Any mention of this project on his forum, he or his mods delete. In fact he has just put up a locked thread to announce 'all discussion of DCS is prohibited'. Seriously?

That's just petty - without competition the genre dies, and competition only makes the market bigger. Sure, there is a small minded theory that says 'why should I promote my competitors on my website' but it just drives the public away from your website, into the arms of the competitor, to delete threads and drive the traffic elsewhere. Very short sighted.

But that is another topic. Personally I too will wait on this one. As usual with Luthier I deeply fear 'scope creep' as he is already talking about 'we could do this...and that...and this...and this...' That was what plagued the development of Cliffs of Dover (modelling undersead currents in a flight sim, for example) and while it is great Luthier is managing this project, someone needs to be there to manage Luthier!

If the project is such a winner, why doesn't ED/DCS fund it (why are they looking for crowd funding?) - could it be that they too have doubts about the ability of Luther to deliver?

H

[Linked Image]
#3830363 - 09/01/13 08:10 PM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: rootango]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Yup, I need to buy both sims. Of course I can hear my wife querying 'Is that a want or a need?'

Of course it's a need............an unhealthy need, but never the less wink

#3830366 - 09/01/13 08:16 PM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: rootango]  
SYN_Haashashin Offline
SYN_Haashashin  Offline

Agree. The first thing to came to mind when I saw the fundrising was :"why ED/DCS does not found it untill they have an alpha/beta or something they can sell?? As ArmaIII,BoS, WT or even something they can sell as a pre-order as Rome II did or a lot of others games that did it that way??"

As for me, as it will be a free to play and then buy what you want as DCS allways has been, will wait and see what happens. It worked last time with CloD so...as Heinkill said, I hope there is someone managing Luthier.

Of course if they sell me a B-17 for a rasonable price I will buy it.

#3830372 - 09/01/13 08:53 PM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: bisher]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: bisher
Yup, I need to buy both sims. Of course I can hear my wife querying 'Is that a want or a need?'

Of course it's a need............an unhealthy need, but never the less wink

Ah yes, upon reaching puberty Dad told me that as a man I would have special needs...now I know what he meant duh

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3830374 - 09/01/13 08:57 PM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: HeinKill]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Originally Posted By: HeinKill

Yes Jason of 777 is downright strange about competitors. Any mention of this project on his forum, he or his mods delete.

What he seemingly fails to realise is that without competition the gnre dies, and competition only makes the market bigger. Sure, there is a small minded theory that says 'why should I promote my competitors on my website' but it just drives the public away from your website, into the arms of the competitor, to delete threads and drive the traffic elsewhere. Very short sighted.

But that is another topic. Personally I too will wait on this one. As usual with Luthier I deeply fear 'scope creep' as he is already talking about 'we could do this...and that...and this...and this...' That was what plagued the development of Cliffs of Dover (modelling undersead currents in a flight sim, for example) and while it is great Luthier is managing this project, someone needs to be there to manage Luthier!

If the project is such a winner, why doesn't ED/DCS fund it (why are they looking for crowd funding?) - could it be that they too have doubts about the ability of Luther to deliver?

H

Yep i agree, after CLOD's history you can see ED/DCS being a bit wary of pumping money in.

The feature list is very ambitious and delivered with Luthier's usual oommpf. It sounds fantastic and i will be all over it if he can do it, just this time im going to wait and see.

#3830377 - 09/01/13 09:03 PM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: rootango]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
The thing is that there's already an established simulation base, which of course isn't perfect, and they won't have to build a new engine at least. The biggest problem with CloD I believe it was its engine.

#3830390 - 09/01/13 09:34 PM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: rootango]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Im sure they will be using the DCS engine.

#3830396 - 09/01/13 09:52 PM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: rootango]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
I meant to say that they're using an established engine. So there's one less unknown parameter right there. They're not building an entirely new game, so we know that is one part of the game, the major part of the game, where they can't screw up, hopefully.

Of course, making planes for DCS is entirely different and more difficult than making planes for RoF/BoS or CloD.

#3830405 - 09/01/13 10:14 PM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: rootango]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Sorry Remon, its late and i miss-read your post.

#3830448 - 09/02/13 12:07 AM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: rootango]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Its interesting times, having three different game engines for WW2 products. I don't like the DCS terrain that much, but hopefully their new EDGE graphic engine will allow Luthier to build an immersive WW2 terrain. I'm also looking forward to new BOS Stalingrad City screenshots, not to mention TF upcoming patch. Its all good.

I suppose it would be to much to hope for a European Map large enough for the B17's to takeoff/RTB from atleast France if not England at some point.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3830479 - 09/02/13 03:03 AM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: Chivas]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: Chivas
Its interesting times, having three different game engines for WW2 products. I don't like the DCS terrain that much, but hopefully their new EDGE graphic engine will allow Luthier to build an immersive WW2 terrain. I'm also looking forward to new BOS Stalingrad City screenshots, not to mention TF upcoming patch. Its all good.

I suppose it would be to much to hope for a European Map large enough for the B17's to takeoff/RTB from atleast France if not England at some point.

Yes that was a good question, hope he answered it.

He answered my question about why he is going for crowd funding. He wants to be free of the shackles of a publisher telling him what to deliver and when. It's a fair ambition. Artistic license, in a sense.

Unfortunately what he complained about was the publishers telling him to finish projects in too short a timeframe with too great expectations (yep, six years for Cliffs of Dover...totally unreasonable), so that tells me to take any projected launch date at this time, with a grain of salt. If his crowd funding project goes well, he will have the money to be able to take his sweet time.

So, Cliffs of Dover took six years...any bets on whether he'll break that record? wink

[Linked Image]
#3830489 - 09/02/13 03:40 AM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: HeinKill]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada

Yes that was a good question, hope he answered it.

He answered my question about why he is going for crowd funding. He wants to be free of the shackles of a publisher telling him what to deliver and when. It's a fair ambition. Artistic license, in a sense.

Unfortunately what he complained about was the publishers telling him to finish projects in too short a timeframe with too great expectations (yep, six years for Cliffs of Dover...totally unreasonable), so that tells me to take any projected launch date at this time, with a grain of salt. If his crowd funding project goes well, he will have the money to be able to take his sweet time.

So, Cliffs of Dover took six years...any bets on whether he'll break that record? wink

I just found out it will be a large map of Normandy, with more maps later. I assume that map will include parts of southern England. He also talks about having it released in a year and maybe alittle longer depending on Stretch goals.... which I assume is kickstarter monies.

Considering that they have a working game engine, things should go a lot smoother, when most of the work will be map, aircraft, and mission/campaign related. He spent way to much time rewriting the COD game engine to work on average systems for my liking, but that was something that had to be done. He also has the luxury of picking his own development crew, and firing them if necessary.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3830531 - 09/02/13 06:05 AM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: HeinKill]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

Yes, the RAF and Luftwaffe campaigns have been created in TF mod versions:

You can get them both here:

http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/down...igns-for-tf-mod

They install individually. The TF mod versions feature high alt missions, progressive skin weathering, the new 109E4N and Flower class corvette etc

H

Thanks for your campaigns, will D/L them for sure. yep

As to the RRG/DCS... well, I will try it for sure, I have DCS World with P-51, BS2, A-10C, Su-25T.
I Like the planes, don't like the terrain. Will see, how the new terrain will look like.

After CloD pre-order experience, I will wait with any money investment.

Also, Western Front is not my favorite theater.
Prefer Eastern Front, BoB, Africa and Pacific (in that order).

Anyhow, the more good WWII CFSs, the better for us.

If you're close, get closer.
#3830534 - 09/02/13 07:14 AM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: Chivas]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.

With their reputation of being same as original, I wonder if the B-17 would have the limitation of her guns to 2s burst or melt the barrel

Clod
#3830535 - 09/02/13 07:19 AM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: SlipBall]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: SlipBall

With their reputation of being same as original, I wonder if the B-17 would have the limitation of her guns to 2s burst or melt the barrel

Is that what happened in the original IL-2? Did the development crew or mod crew make the B17 flyable?

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3830543 - 09/02/13 07:59 AM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: rootango]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Sorry Chivas what I meant was same as RL

Clod
#3830548 - 09/02/13 08:21 AM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: rootango]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Interesting times for sure...

I still think there will be room for all these sims, plus competition is always a good thing, it should keep everyone on their toes and striving to be the best they can.

I have Just been looking at DCS P51 videos and the pits look lovely, and while i consider myself to be at the hardcore end of simmers but after watching the P51 start up vid, i dont know if im that hardcore...lol.

So i dont know if its really going to be my thing, plus im not too keen on late war stuff, even though i love the idea of flying a mossie.

The 5th should tell more.

#3830681 - 09/02/13 04:19 PM Re: confirmed: luthier (RRG) and DCS are now workin on a new ww2 flightsim !! [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Interesting times for sure...

I still think there will be room for all these sims, plus competition is always a good thing, it should keep everyone on their toes and striving to be the best they can.

I have Just been looking at DCS P51 videos and the pits look lovely, and while i consider myself to be at the hardcore end of simmers but after watching the P51 start up vid, i dont know if im that hardcore...lol.

So i dont know if its really going to be my thing, plus im not too keen on late war stuff, even though i love the idea of flying a mossie.

The 5th should tell more.

The start up of the Mustang is pretty easy. You should see the Ka-50. And there's a shortcut that starts an automated sequence to start up the plane.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.