AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Originally Posted By: Flexman
Is this like Top-Trumps?

Gareth Keenan in the area!

Cheers

Last edited by AD; 05/15/10 02:19 PM.

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3014769 - 05/19/10 10:05 PM Re: Mod ability [Re: AD]  
Focha Offline
Focha  Offline

Lisbon, Portugal
Quickly contribute with my idea. I think the best it's the add-on ability rather than the modification ability. I would rather have a great system where I can put an add-on later, and this means that from the beginning the algorithm must be made with that intention so in the end is easy to integrate third party or even self company projects than just having the tools to modify the content of the game. Or even better providing the tools (if that is remotely possible) for the community to work and then with the producer approval integrate that in the simulation so that way everyone can quickly have access to the same thing, meaning a unique version of the simulation.

Best regards.

#3015178 - 05/20/10 02:05 PM Re: Mod ability [Re: Focha]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Quote:
Quickly contribute with my idea. I think the best it's the add-on ability rather than the modification ability. I would rather have a great system where I can put an add-on later, and this means that from the beginning the algorithm must be made with that intention so in the end is easy to integrate third party or even self company projects than just having the tools to modify the content of the game. Or even better providing the tools (if that is remotely possible) for the community to work and then with the producer approval integrate that in the simulation so that way everyone can quickly have access to the same thing, meaning a unique version of the simulation.

In an ideal world we'd be using open source tools to develop the sim. Not only would we be able to get into the code to modify the tools, fix problems and add features, we'd also be able to throw up a download link and let potential modders try them out and eventually contribute to the sim.

The reality is that the Leadwerk's engine we're using has it's own content creation tools and specific exporters that require a license to use. At this point, that license is quite reasonably priced. However, it's possible the price will increase as the engine is developed further and becomes a more lucrative asset. It's not difficult to predict how modders would feel about spending serious cash simply to mod a game.

A policy of you make, we integrate seems simple enough, it's been tried by a few simulation developers before. Those development teams were much larger than ours, and I can't see us having the time and resources to polish and integrate the work of others whilst at the same time pursuing our own development cycle.

Cheers

Last edited by AD; 05/20/10 02:11 PM.

#3015330 - 05/20/10 06:26 PM Re: Mod ability [Re: AD]  
Focha Offline
Focha  Offline

Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By: AD
Quote:

In an ideal world we'd be using open source tools to develop the sim. Not only would we be able to get into the code to modify the tools, fix problems and add features, we'd also be able to throw up a download link and let potential modders try them out and eventually contribute to the sim.

The reality is that the Leadwerk's engine we're using has it's own content creation tools and specific exporters that require a license to use. At this point, that license is quite reasonably priced. However, it's possible the price will increase as the engine is developed further and becomes a more lucrative asset. It's not difficult to predict how modders would feel about spending serious cash simply to mod a game.

A policy of you make, we integrate seems simple enough, it's been tried by a few simulation developers before. Those development teams were much larger than ours, and I can't see us having the time and resources to polish and integrate the work of others whilst at the same time pursuing our own development cycle.

Cheers

It's already good if you guys make some kind of "modules" (this "modules" could be a helicopter pack, map pack, missions pack, etc) so you (as developers) just install new modules without great deal of effort.
I understand that is a small team and all the resources should be for other things right now but from your point of view I think you guys should consider to make a simple and strong algorithm so you only have to do further if you want to integrate other content is to make that content only and not more lines of code trying to integrate that in the sim. I am not an expert of programming neither I know what it takes to make a game/sim but I hope you guys understand me. :P Probably you are already doing that.

Best regards mate and continue the great work.

#3016292 - 05/22/10 01:52 AM Re: Mod ability [Re: Focha]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
Quote:
It's already good if you guys make some kind of "modules" (this "modules" could be a helicopter pack, map pack, missions pack, etc) so you (as developers) just install new modules without great deal of effort.

Let's hope so!

Cheers

Last edited by AD; 05/22/10 03:29 AM.

#3196506 - 02/02/11 06:14 PM Re: Mod ability [Re: Spac3Rat]  
storm rider Offline
storm rider  Offline

One thing I would love to have, is a map editor with the ability to import real heightmaps. That in my opinion, at least to me, would long live this simulator. Nowadays I spent more time developing my maps for arma2 than actually playing it. And I love it. Average-Good resolution heightmaps from all around the globe are easily found anywhere over the internet, and using Global Mapper we can export it to nameless heightmap formats.

If so, my first map attempt would definatly be Iraq/Kuwait, to re create the Desert Storm campaing, which still these days interests me a lot. Not that Afghanistan and Iran don´t, but there´s something mystical about Desert Storm. It was the first modern conflict, proving ground for platforms like the A-10 (which almost missed it!) and ofcourse Apaches.

#3196530 - 02/02/11 06:45 PM Re: Mod ability [Re: Spac3Rat]  
Raptor9 Offline
Rotorhead / GFC
Raptor9  Offline
Rotorhead / GFC

Central US
I agree with you about the Desert Storm campaign, that was definitely the highlight of the Apache's history.

One thing I would love, is to fly a recreation of Operation Normandy with A-model Apaches. The first night of the air war when two flights of Apaches flew into southern Iraq to take out a pair of EWR sites so the coalition air forces could swarm in. I remember the first Janes Longbow sim had those historic missions from Panama and Desert Storm, but I could never get those to work. The game would always crash for some reason.

Hopefully the first release of Combat Helo will be such a success that Flex and AD can keep expanding their game. Who knows which direction they could take then. (Fingers crossed)

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
#3220444 - 02/28/11 04:35 PM Re: Mod ability [Re: Spac3Rat]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
An Iraq campaign is actually a very do-able concept. The engine would support it reasonably well and terrain development would be fairly swift. That said, our vehicle and aircraft assets are of modern variants. It would therefore preclude the simulation of the original Desert storm campaign in favour of an OIF-ish event.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Beate Uhse-Rotermund.
by RedToo. 05/14/24 03:47 PM
Actor Bernard Hill was 79
by NoFlyBoy. 05/06/24 10:54 AM
Maple Griefs Forever
by KraziKanuK. 05/05/24 11:07 PM
Dick Rutan was 85
by F4UDash4. 05/04/24 11:02 AM
May the 4th be with you!
by RossUK. 05/04/24 09:30 AM
MLB (baseball)
by PanzerMeyer. 05/02/24 10:37 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.