Originally Posted by SirMike1983
This is excellent. Are you working on just a DR1 FM, or do you think you can extrapolate some of the effects of rotary engines to other aircraft too, even if you don't have an exact replica of the others? FM and DM development is a process of continual refinement and testing, I think.

One thing I've always wanted to know is how people keep rotary engines running on replica airplanes today. Are you using one of the re-production shops in Australia or New Zealand for parts, or are there shops in the US that offer parts and overhaul for them? I ask because I know aero engines have certain routine inspections and then operation hours maintenance procedures. If you have a bad piston or the like, it isn't something you take to the local machine shop, is it?

I have only dabbled with a few of the rotary planes in WOFF, and so far, it seems like the gyro effect is under done or done opposite what I would expect. Based upon that, I will probably go through all of the rotary birds and see how they feel. I can make an educated guess on them based on my Dr.I experience and stories I've been told (one by a gentleman who flew a N17 with a 110 back in the 70s). I can't be sure that what comes out of it is really "accurate" without having flown it and collected data.

Rotary engines in the US are in the experimental category of aircraft engine. They have never been through certification testing, so you can literally do anything you want to one and go fly it. I like to preserve the original experience, so I don't make any modifications to them. I have had to remanufacture components to keep them serviceable. For example, my Clerget has new pistons in it that were made by a racecar piston manufacturing company. If you need parts, you can get them made It just might make your piggy bank squeal every now and then.