Great stuff Chill - I look forward to trying out this xfm file for the Dr.1.

In terms of FM tweaks in WOFF (from UE onwards) - only the xfm files are accessible, giving a max. of 20 or so entries that may be manipulated, to hammer things into shape generally (not speaking of scrape points here) - but no extensive FM modding is possible. Having said that, I have done some work on the air/cfg files in WOTR via the free AirEditor program, and while there are more than a hundred entries to tweak in the air/cfg files, many of them are cryptic and would require lengthy testing and studying. In short, the best solution would be lengthy xfm files, with dozens, preferably hundreds of fairly clear entries, as seen in the data ini files in the ThirdWire sims - but it is what it is. OBD sure has done a miracle with the old cfs3 code, no doubts about that.

The Dr.1 with stock FM, as far as I remember, flies sideways too - as it does in my FM tweaks (requiring about 2-3 percent movement of rudder frequently, even in good weather, not to fly sideways). In terms of the famous flat turn on the Dr.1 - not speaking of the real thing but in simulations - you will always need opposite aileron, more or less, to maintain a proper flat turn - the tighter the flat turn, the more opposite aileron needed. In my FM packs, the early Dr.1 is the best flat turner. More difficult to maintain them on the 150 hp variant since it eventually tends to tip over, etc.

I also find quite fascinating the many variations that perhaps would have been present on WW1 aircraft. Consider that not all Dr.1s might have the same rudder response, etc., even when factory fresh. This is seen even today. Chill's Dr.1, as he posted, requires lots of rudder for tight turns. On the other hand, if you look carefully at the Mikael Carlson vids. on YouTube, with his Dr.1 - he is usually not using more than about 20% rudder even in fairly tight turns. There is a clip where he used more rudder in a loop, and then fell into a spin. With WW1 aircraft FMs in simulators, I think Pat Wilson said it best that all you really want to make sure is that the FM is "not obviously wrong."

Looking forward to further developments with the Dr.1 FM.

Cheers all,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 04/18/21 02:59 AM. Reason: Added info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~