Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4263386 - 05/24/16 12:02 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Battlerabbit Offline
Battlerabbit  Offline

Switzerland
Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow
I'd like to see some of you develop an aircraft nearing the fidelity of what's in this sim. It's not something you can do part time.

I really hate constantly hearing this argument from people.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4263387 - 05/24/16 12:02 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
true - people are complaining because they are not happy.

You should browse some other game forums to see what complaining really is, we are simply exchanging points of view about pricing, quality and product expectations.

This particular developer wont close down because of us posting our points of view.

$10, how about $19.99 ??? that is a fair price for a flyable add on.

most developers work full time - that is the norm rather than not, I know a few that work part time, usually they do that as a hobby.

#4263395 - 05/24/16 12:26 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: Battlerabbit]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Originally Posted By: Battlerabbit
I'd like to see some of you develop an aircraft nearing the fidelity of what's in this sim. It's not something you can do part time.

I hear you. DCS, and every single module for it are all products. The devs aren't our buddies who are doing us a massive favour or anything, way too many people seem to have that mindset.

#4263415 - 05/24/16 01:52 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I've never seen another game with so many people complaining about so much

You want to charge $10 a piece for it? Go ahead. You will not make a profit despite having to quit your job just to finish it in a reasonable timeframe.

That's a moot argument. ED aren't part-time. We all have jobs and have various areas of expertise. ED's expertise is the development of flight simulators so there is no excuse for them to continually fail, not meet the timeliness they specify and not learn from previous mistakes.

I'd wager many of us showing the same level of incompetency in their own full-time jobs probably wouldn't have a job for long.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4263420 - 05/24/16 02:09 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn

You want to charge $10 a piece for it? Go ahead. You will not make a profit despite having to quit your job just to finish it in a reasonable timeframe.

Apparently, many of the developers are doing this part time. Hence the long delays in updates/releases. From what I've read on their forums, they may have one or two full time guys, but the majority are part time.

#4263426 - 05/24/16 02:28 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: Battlerabbit]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Originally Posted By: Battlerabbit

Look, I understand that you guys want more of whatever it is you want - whether that's your favorite fighter, or a particular campaign for a particular aircraft. I'm not slamming you for having demand, as consumers we are entitled to want whatever it is we want.

Buuuut..

I have been a free mod developer for many, many years. Some of my sound mods were downloaded by millions of people. Occasionally I did payware mods.

If I had ever had the kind of constant grinding from users I would have just quit. The constant negativity really gets to people. They are real people, please don't forget that. You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

If you've got criticism it's very important that you voice it clearly to the developers..but do it in a constructive manner and I am 100% positive you'll get a better result. You don't need to be a fanboy. Just give the developers very clear instructions.

For example It's really frustrating to a developer to get something like a bug report that lacks any useful information. I see many people here posting that ED is incompetent but I can't understand why, exactly. What is it specifically that everyone is upset about?

If it's the pricing, all I can say is just buy during the sales when prices drop to something like 10% of the full price..! If it's releasing of betas, well.. don't buy in-development products. This method of selling DLC may be shady to some but I personally am happier to have a partially functional product rather than a fully functional product -as long as it will be polished to a presentable state in further development-.

As far as I know, no DCS modules have failed to deliver what they promised - the M2000 Mirage was pretty rough at release but look at it now, it is fantastic. Just give the developers time and help them out with fixing issues by giving clear, concise criticism that will help them prioritize issues. They'll get to things as soon as they can.

#4263431 - 05/24/16 02:32 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
Oddly the more DLC that are released, the less activity in our community.

As for free mods, that was to be expected, as soon as payware was introduced they started to dwindle.

It is high time to see some new options for combat sims, maybe now that Falcon4 has a new owner we will see there some developments.

I think this is because the focus of this sim has become so vague, you've got several different factions of simmers wanting what they want. WWII guys want what they backed via Kickstarter that ED took on when the dude failed to deliver. Modern jet guys want to go beyond the FC3 plane set. Helo guys want a true attack platform.

People want the jet/helo/prop that is near and dear to them. Lately the DLCs haven't been interesting to the masses. So they've failed to generate talk. The forums have been quiet, as a result.

ED's latest DLCs have been uninspiring and for many, appear to have diverted focus further away from the goal of a stable AND combined world.

The argument that DCSW is free to play only holds true to the new guy. Granted you do get the Su-25T and TF-51 for free, but after that it IS pay to play. You pay $60 per module and then have the expectation that it gets the updates to fix the things that make/keep it flyable. So far, that isnt happening as fast as people are wanting.

<shrug> so we wait and either gripe all the time, or stay off the forums until something is released that inspires talk.

#4263436 - 05/24/16 02:34 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
part time jobs and full time headaches biggrin

Quote:
From what I've read on their forums, they may have one or two full time guys, but the majority are part time.

the 3rd party crews are then staffed by 3rd party developers ...

Quote:

The argument that DCSW is free to play only holds true to the new guy. Granted you do get the Su-25T and TF-51 for free, but after that it IS pay to play. You pay $60 per module and then have the expectation that it gets the updates to fix the things that make/keep it flyable. So far, that isnt happening as fast as people are wanting.

adding modules can be an expensive pastime - unless you get FC3 level modules.

#4263576 - 05/24/16 08:31 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA

If it's the pricing, all I can say is just buy during the sales when prices drop to something like 10% of the full price..! If it's releasing of betas, well.. don't buy in-development products. This method of selling DLC may be shady to some but I personally am happier to have a partially functional product rather than a fully functional product -as long as it will be polished to a presentable state in further development-.

Except they did away with those. Now I think 30% is the most I've seen, maybe 40%, I don't recall exactly.

Put simply, it used to be for $50-60 you'd get a new sim with a flyable plane, a campaign or two, a theater, and units to interact with, air and ground, with MP.
Now...plane alone is $50-$60. New terrain is $40. Campaigns are $10 a pop. Air and ground units you interact with may or may not actually match the era of the plane you fly in...SA-10s vs P-51s? All are released, after a preorder, in early access or beta which is of undefined length, until "release" which is an arbitrary milestone as often we get nothing more with release (like a campaign) than we did in early access. It's just less buggy, but it's still rarely free of major bugs. Minor bugs are par for the course, not going to quibble about those.

I don't call it shady. It's not underhanded or deceitful. I call it capitalism 101 - charge what the market will bear.
I just don't like it.

I also believe many others don't like it and this will drive away some of their customers, which is hardly a large enough base that they can cavalierly dump the more cost conscious.

I can't believe I'm saying this, so many years after Falcon 3 introduced the idea of an "electronic battlefield" with interlocking titles allowing you to fly the early planes on the later terrains and the later planes on the early terrains, all together in MP, with DCS World finally delivering it to us...but I miss the one and done releases of old.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4263610 - 05/24/16 10:56 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted By: Paradaz
I'd wager many of us showing the same level of incompetency in their own full-time jobs probably wouldn't have a job for long.

C'mon Daz! You live in the UK!! Surely you're aware of the current healthcare fiasco? biggrin

If you've got criticism it's very important that you voice it clearly to the developers..but do it in a constructive manner and I am 100% positive you'll get a better result. You don't need to be a fanboy. Just give the developers very clear instructions.

For example It's really frustrating to a developer to get something like a bug report that lacks any useful information. I see many people here posting that ED is incompetent but I can't understand why, exactly. What is it specifically that everyone is upset about?

<snip!>

As far as I know, no DCS modules have failed to deliver what they promised - the M2000 Mirage was pretty rough at release but look at it now, it is fantastic. Just give the developers time and help them out with fixing issues by giving clear, concise criticism that will help them prioritize issues. They'll get to things as soon as they can.

First of all, this isn't about criticism or constructive bug reports. I'm very sure ED has had those in spades.

Incompetency in terms of planning and delivering their plans in the timeframe mentioned in their plans. Lack of direction. Lack of planning. Incompetency in terms of issuing patches that sometimes breaks more than it fixes (tutorials and mods/campaigns no longer working on a new patch), with new bugs that makes you wonder how it made it past the gate in the first place. It's not that "User A said something and ED made it happen," it's more of "ED said something and ED can't even make it happen."

I believe I'll have to add this disclaimer though --- I've not touched ED for a few years so my gripes may no longer be valid.... but reading other people's posts here suggests I may still be on track.

- Ice
#4263625 - 05/25/16 12:01 AM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: PFunk]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Originally Posted By: PFunk
Couple of observations:

1. DCS is not what you buy for a single player experience. You buy it to do multiplayer or cooperative play. That's what it's marketed to. DCS single-player has sucked since it was LOMAC v1.01. FSX users buy aircraft with no added value content for $50 all the time. Don't purchase what you don't use. This is why I own DCS as well as the FC3 and A-10C expansions but have yet to have purchased anything else. It is a miserable single-player experience and I don't fly multiplayer, so you can imagine how much time I spend with it. Yes, the single-player aspect is a bitter disappointment, but when you think about what the majority of DCS users actually do with the game, this makes sense.

While I am sure multiplayer is better in many ways, I certainly feel I have got my money's worth playing single player. In fact I have never played DCS World multiplayer.

I have the A10C, KA50, BAE Hawk, P51, F86,FC3 and UH1 modules, along with the NTTR terrain. Seriously considering the Gazelle and F5 too.

DCS is an outstanding experience with the Oculus Rift (and I assume Vive) too. Given that there are some limitations associated with using the Rift though, single player might be the best option when using one of these headsets.

Last edited by Paul Rix; 05/25/16 12:06 AM.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4263638 - 05/25/16 01:10 AM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

That's just it. It is being done by part timers. Avio are part time, yet they charge full price. They haven't quit their day jobs, and I would implore them not to just because. They haven't finished the 101 in a reasonable time. They are struggling with it while showing nice screenshots of their next project. JFC finish what's been payed for before announcing new projects. Do they really think their previous customers are going to buy their mirage after the fiasco that is the c101? That's where the complaining comes from. These developers are taking money and are showing a complete lack of focus.
Veao are full of part timers and it shows. They too are struggling with the Hawk that has been partly funded with beta moneys. Their roadmap is going to keep them all busy until they're all in their 90s if each module takes as long as the Hawk has done so far.
BST still have unfinished modules for sale while releasing the F-5 in beta state. Only their Sabre is finished.
If I am going to pay for a beta, not anymore I must add, I would want to see the Developer working on it and not showing screenshots of their next unfinished release which will take resources from what I have paid for. I don't think that is unreasonable and I don't think it's unreasonable to complain about it.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4263665 - 05/25/16 02:36 AM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

DCS:WW2, Hawk, C-101, Huey, Mi-8. HUD and Doppler radar on Ka-50 still aren't getting repaired.

If the developers are doing this part of full time is as irrelevant as it can be until part time developers start charging part time prices. I don't give a hoot what the VEAO devs do as their full time job when the Hawk I payed for looks like garbage, or when the Huey still doesn't have any engine temperature, etc. And as has been pointed out, the large sales are long gone. Instead we've got even higher prices than we used to have before, and a bunch of monetized modding content, which is an interesting turn of events. Guessing the whole DCS 2.0 thing cost more than anticipated.

#4263690 - 05/25/16 08:38 AM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
Chaos Offline
Chaos  Offline

"we are simply exchanging points of view about pricing, quality and product expectations. "

All I see are the same group of people (5 or so) complaining about anything and everything related to DCS. I have yet to read one positive remark from any of these guys and I wonder what drives them. All they achieve is turning people completely off on trying out the only modern sim available and thereby missing out on a fantastic product, warts and all.

Don't want to participate in beta..? Don't hand over your cash, idiots!

And for all the people who believe this stuff should be bought for the price of 2 beers on a Friday night... You come across as dumb and naïve. I can assure you these products are as cheap as possible. This is a niche market. The [Text deleted] who are calling this developer 'greedy' have no idea what they're talking about.

I'm done venting now.

To me DCS captures the feeling of flying a combat jet perfectly. Physics are second to none and the graphics are as good as it gets. I'm only interested in single player and create most of missions myself.. with just the right amount of randomness to keep things interesting. Flying online works beautifully at home but I spend a lot of time on the road so that doesnt do it for me. I dare any of you to find a similar product that approaches the level of fidelity of DCS. Let's hear it!

{Crickets}

Last edited by CyBerkut; 05/25/16 09:13 AM. Reason: Moderation
#4263694 - 05/25/16 09:27 AM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
Chaos Offline
Chaos  Offline

Seriously... you can't call certain people '..iots'? And then turn around and say ED forums are heavily moderated... you've got to be joking me.

Also, note that I didn't name any names.

Last edited by Chaos; 05/25/16 09:28 AM.

"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage..."
#4263698 - 05/25/16 09:37 AM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
Battlerabbit Offline
Battlerabbit  Offline

Switzerland
New planes are cool and everything but what do you do with them after you have learned how to use them?

The mission editor in DCS is pain in the ass and limited compared to other mission editors like in BMS (broken record) and Dangerous Waters. Look at the most played multiplayer missions in DCS, you've got simple training missions, aerobatic and air-quake they aren't complex to make and maintain but in my eyes don't offer a lot of replayability.

I've created multiplayer mission in the past and to keep them up-to-date with ED's patches as well as fresh was a hassle and you as the creator knew where everything was or would be even with randomizing scripts.

Missions that are run by the S77th, 51st for example are better but still don't offer dynamic large scale battles (Falcon Online style). The Blue Flag 24/7 mission was the fist time in DCS that I felt like my input in destroying a SAM or enemy plane helped the overall war effort but even that didn't large amount of ground forces movement and had issues with scripts and needed to be restarted regularly because the engine couldn't handle it.

Slightly of topic regarding system complexity, I think that with BMS 4.33 the F-16 weapons and system are more advanced and "harder" to learn than the A-10 or any other ED product for that matter.

#4263699 - 05/25/16 09:38 AM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: Chaos]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: Chaos
Seriously... you can't call certain people '..iots'? And then turn around and say ED forums are heavily moderated... you've got to be joking me.

Also, note that I didn't name any names.

It obviously characterized other members here. Take issue with other members positions/arguments all you like, but leave out the name calling and/or characterizing of other members here (named or unnamed).

#4263713 - 05/25/16 10:55 AM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: Chaos]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted By: Chaos
"we are simply exchanging points of view about pricing, quality and product expectations. "

All I see are the same group of people (5 or so) complaining about anything and everything related to DCS. I have yet to read one positive remark from any of these guys and I wonder what drives them. All they achieve is turning people completely off on trying out the only modern sim available and thereby missing out on a fantastic product, warts and all.

you obviously do NOT browse these forums

besides criticizing them I do this

Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
I uploaded an update for this skin pack - it makes the markings more harmonious with the Flanker.

http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/3214-dcs-fc3-su-27-usaf-skin-pack/

and that is for the past week

and if that is not enough, I just happen to run a flight sim website

www.lockonfiles.com

which also support DCS products.

not that doing all this is a requisite to be able to post one's opinions, anyone and everyone is entitled to do it.

the same way no one is forced to but beta products ( *** I don't as a rule now *** ) no one is forcing anyone to read negative posts.

#4263746 - 05/25/16 01:09 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: jens198]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Tom Weiss has been doing a lot for the DCS community in terms of offering value-added content completely for free. He could be selling this stuff.

Anyhow, we seem to be getting away from the main point, that DCS' prices are a little steep for what appears to be less content. That's a perception problem. My perception is that it doesn't look anything unlike what Just Flight does with the MSFS series. In fact, it's essentially identical in scope, and in some cases, cheaper. A LOT cheaper. Try to find a studio-produced F-15C for $10 in MSFS. It isn't happening.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#4263761 - 05/25/16 01:39 PM Re: DCS F-5E video [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn

Unfortunately ED's bug readers are not as knowledgeable as they need to be. I reported an EOR aircraft placement issue at Groom Lake and was told it wasnt a bug, and dismissed. Since then, I've added other bugs and never even got an acknowledgement.

So I gave up reporting anything. They obviously dont want the help, but do need it.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.