Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4197304 - 11/21/15 10:47 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Dakpilot]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

Originally Posted By: Dakpilot
Obviously supported by you winkngrin

Cheers Dakpilot

Be happy with your tin-hat and your rose-tinted glasses, but don't expect everybody to be happy with such a limited experience.

#4197312 - 11/21/15 11:11 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: robtek]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
Clearly, it seems so few people are buying the game as it stands that the devs have decided they need to add a mouse-control option to bring in new players.

Which is hilarious really for two reasons.

1) The mouse control implementation they've chosen means anyone using it is hamstrung (according to everyone that has posted their opinion of it)
2) Where is the market research that shows Mouse-control will significantly increase the userbase?

They're just guessing, and it's no more than clutching at straws unfortunately.

If they're chasing the WT crowd then there's only one option, and it's called Free-To-Play.

And as others have indicated earlier on in the thread, the game was looking so promising before release.
They were saying the things that flight-sim fans wanted to hear.

And then they pulled the rug.
Shame

{EDIT} According to one of the fans this is the future of Mouse-control

Quote:
Mouse control is just for newbies without stick to check the game. After one hour, they buy a stick or quit the game

So, apparently, they expect people to spend $50 and then bin the game or buy a joystick. Sounds like a really clever strategy to increase the player-base, and a real good use of developer-time.

Last edited by Extreme_One; 11/21/15 11:22 PM.
#4197317 - 11/21/15 11:29 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Extreme_One]  
TychosElk Offline
TychosElk  Offline

Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
They're just guessing...

Yup. Everyone who says anything that doesn't concur with the negative group-think here is 'guessing', while the 'sky is falling' line is based on nothing but cold hard facts. Obvious, isn't it... duh

#4197389 - 11/22/15 03:11 AM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
MiG21bisFishbedL Offline
MiG21bisFishbedL  Offline

So, when is Bones Mccoy paying a visit?

wut meens b?
#4197431 - 11/22/15 07:56 AM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: TychosElk]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
Originally Posted By: TychosElk
They're just guessing...

Yup. Everyone who says anything that doesn't concur with the negative group-think here is 'guessing', while the 'sky is falling' line is based on nothing but cold hard facts. Obvious, isn't it... duh

Well, I've not stated you or any other die-hard fans are guessing, that much goes without saying.

I'm talking about the developers guessing at what will help sell more product.

Have you seen any market research about mouse-flying?

#4197548 - 11/22/15 05:13 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Extreme_One]  
TychosElk Offline
TychosElk  Offline

They're just guessing...

Well, I've not stated you or any other die-hard fans are guessing, that much goes without saying.

Do you know that they haven't done any market research, or are are you just guessing?

Last edited by TychosElk; 11/22/15 05:14 PM.
#4197558 - 11/22/15 05:27 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

Tych, who from 60,000 - yes sixtyThousand WT players online a.t.m. would pay $50 just to try out how mouse works in BoS?

Just had a look, it's 67.718 ATM, of course many of them tankers, but still...
WT has hundreds of planes. FREE.
No way to compete over there.

I love RoF and BoS. Just don't like the curent arcadish path (Yes, mice).

Last edited by Ami7b5; 11/22/15 05:37 PM.

If you're close, get closer.
#4197574 - 11/22/15 06:16 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Ami7b5]  
TychosElk Offline
TychosElk  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ami7b5
Tych, who from 60,000 - yes sixtyThousand WT players online a.t.m. would pay $50 just to try out how mouse works in BoS?

Just had a look, it's 67.718 ATM, of course many of them tankers, but still...
WT has hundreds of planes. FREE.
No way to compete over there.

I love RoF and BoS. Just don't like the curent arcadish path (Yes, mice).

Where have I said anything about WT? Or about anyone paying anything for anything? All I am asking is that people stop pretending that the endless negativity in this thread is based on verifiable factual evidence, rather than guesswork and mind-reading.

Last edited by TychosElk; 11/22/15 06:16 PM.
#4197575 - 11/22/15 06:17 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort
J9 posted a link to a recent gaming industry study that I can't find (hopefully he'll repost it) so this is kinda half arsed until I see the report again:

1. The study included both console and PC gaming with stratified data on both.

2. The study showed the average PC gamer is 35 years old, with the younger and older gamers fairly evenly distributed above and below that age. 35 year olds are apparently the heart of PC gaming with just as many 50 year olds playing as there are 20 year olds. PC gaming is not a kids or teens centric market.

3. The study showed the most popular PC games to be strategy and role playing type games with flight sims being something like 1 or 2% of the market within the PC gaming segment.

I was really surprised by points 2 and 3 above, considering what seems like a focus on younger gamers with BoS. Going after 1 or 2% of a market with an average age of 35, I would think you would initially come out with a laser focus on age 35. I just don't see that with BoS. PWCG will help BoS with this crowd, but if that was part of the 1CGS strategy all along, it was high risk looking for the heart of your market segment to be satisfied by a 3rd party app. You might hope for more fringe sales to be picked up by a 3rd party app, but to rely on your core customer sales to be driven by a 3rd party app baffles me (Pat Wilson could be hit by a bus tomorrow - hopefully not hahaha ). If the study showed the average age of PC gamers to be about 16 or 17 then I would understand a lot of what 1CGS has done. Age 35, I don't get it.

If I was a journalist for a gaming magazine who was interviewing 1CGS, the first question I would ask them would be: "With the average age of PC gamers being 35 on a standard deviation bell curve, what is your marketing strategy."

Like Don, I am waiting for the dust to settle with PWCG for BoS before I start using it, but I'm sure I'll be quite happy with it. So I'm not complaining, just curious why 1CGS is not moving towards the center to find more sales. This is kind of like politics: you've got to pick up your base first, then look for additional opportunities with other voters. Same with customers.

I just don't get Loft's strategy of "Hey Mr. 35 year old (who, if they enjoy flight sims are going to bring their experience with IL-2 1946 to the BoS customer experience) BoS is quick, fast, and not too complicated." These characteristics are pretty much the opposite of IL-2 1946 and its predecessors, games that sold close to 2 million copies in total.

There have definitely been some missteps.. but my take on this series has always been we really do not know what the full plan is .. and because of the fluid nature of the business and the nature of the community.. perhaps they have chosen to just keep things relatively close to the vest... That article is interesting..

Originally Posted By: Dakpilot
I guess the attempt to hijack the wiki page, spamming of every flight sim Utube channel and numerous sites and the campaign to drive the "its a game not a sim...the dev's are thieves etc," to the top of BoS google search page, multiple account reviews and much more organised by a well known person and supported by some, including members of certain groups never happened.
But that is past history and best left behind, but to deny it happened is very rose tinted glasses stuff
Cheers Dakpilot

Yes that was the type of stuff I was referring to.. stuff that went beyond the usual disgruntled customer stuff.. and a lotof that was present from day one.

Clearly, it seems so few people are buying the game as it stands that the devs have decided they need to add a mouse-control option to bring in new players.

1) The mouse control implementation they've chosen means anyone using it is hamstrung (according to everyone that has posted their opinion of it)

2) Where is the market research that shows Mouse-control will significantly increase the userbase?

If they're chasing the WT crowd then there's only one option, and it's called Free-To-Play.
And as others have indicated earlier on in the thread, the game was looking so promising before release.
They were saying the things that flight-sim fans wanted to hear. And then they pulled the rug.
Shame

Quote:
Mouse control is just for newbies without stick to check the game. After one hour, they buy a stick or quit the game

So, apparently, they expect people to spend $50 and then bin the game or buy a joystick. Sounds like a really clever strategy to increase the player-base, and a real good use of developer-time.

1- That is actually a good thing because it means that the things that folks like you and i hold dear will not be effected by that decision.

2- Who knows... Perhaps their thinking is that by making it more accessible to people who may not yet see the need for buying a joystick they will give the sim a chance to sell itself. When I started on this journey in earnest.. shortly after 9/11 ....

I had just moved to Va. and I used to go into my local Best Buy where they had CFS1 set up on a PC with a MSFFB joystick. The first time I tried it I liked it and every time I went into the store I stopped by that spot to tinker.. After 9/11 I read where the terrorists used MSFS to practice.. so by that time we had been down there a year and things were a little looser.. so about a week after 9/11 I went to BB and bought MSFS .. and as an after thought .. since I always did like Warbirds.. I bought CFS1.. My fist joystick was a Logitech something or other .. that did not even have rudder control.. I fired up MSFS... then I fired up CFS1... and MSFS became the number two.. then I went online for the first time in the MSN Gaming Zone .... and that was it... After meeting 99th_Patches online and flying with the CFS 99th I realized how limiting not having rudder control was.. Now when I was looking at joysticks I remember seeing the MSFFB for $100 and going "Pfft!! I'm not paying $100 just to get something to play a d@mn game... !!" The Saitek X-45 FUGHEDDABOUDDIT.. $80.. are you kidding me.. so I settled on the $20 stick I chose.. and it took about a month of online flying for me to break down and get a MSFFB... Then I discovered IL2... and I was all in. Since then (@2002) I have bought another MSFFB... two sets of Saitek pedals.. and X-45... an X-52... a TIR 1 (which I returned because it made me mauseous), later a 3 and my current TIR 5... not to mention my Crosswind rudder pedals acquired back in May..

My point behind all that is.. if I had not gotten my toe in the door I would not be here.. IL2 was flyable with a mouse and keyboard as well.. you just couldn't do it well... with this system you can do it well enough to fly but not well enough to do much against live pilots.. but the sim will sell itself to the uninitiated, or the lesser initiated .. by making it accessible on it's own without having to spend additional funds it leaves the door open. If there is one thing we know... people who do this are willing to spend money.. but they need something to work towards.. Are they just guessing? I have no idea.. but given the way they are doing it.. it is a good thing that does not take away from what more experienced simmers will need.

I agree.. F2P is the way to go.. and I would not be surprised in the least if that was the road they eventually took, maybe by the time the third series is ready. Even if they did not specifically say that was their plan. Look at RoF. After BoM a F2P version with say a Lagg and a F-4 and a IL2 and a Ju-87 on the small Lupino map would be a great thing and do much to jumpstart sales because the sim is not bad... and better now than it has ever been in every way. Add the two premium aircraft to the standard edition at the same price it is now and do away with the Premium in BoS altogether while leaving BoM the same. It would be a smart move IMO.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4197585 - 11/22/15 06:27 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: TychosElk]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
They're just guessing...

Do you know that they haven't done any market research, or are are you just guessing?

Considering the members of this forum are part of the target demographic, I'm pretty sure if there were any market research conducted we would have taken part, or at least heard about it.

You can call that a guess if it makes you feel better.

#4197593 - 11/22/15 06:36 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
Originally Posted By: Bearcat99
[

They were saying the things that flight-sim fans wanted to hear. And then they pulled the rug.
Shame

Quote:

1- That is actually a good thing because it means that the things that folks like you and i hold dear will not be effected by that decision.

How can anyone claim that putting new players at a disadvantage is a good thing for the game?
Surely it will simply frustrate this influx of new players.

How will that experience attract new players?

I think a distinct danger now is that these potential new players are likely to hear from other new players how difficult it is, and how you can't do certain manoeuvres and decide it's not for them after all.

If you're not going to give players an even playing field you're inviting raging criticism.

Hasn't anyone learned anything for the last 30 years of gaming?

Last edited by Extreme_One; 11/22/15 06:42 PM.
#4197605 - 11/22/15 07:38 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Extreme_One]  
TychosElk Offline
TychosElk  Offline

I think that developers will have learned by now that no matter what they do, a good few of their customers will insist that they have done it wrong. And come up with all sorts of contradictory reasons why.

#4197609 - 11/22/15 07:52 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: TychosElk]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
customers

A good business gives its customers what they want.

A bad business tells the customer what they should want instead.

It's really constructive when someone quotes the smallest part of your message, and twists their response, out of context, to fit their own narrow viewpoint.

#4197613 - 11/22/15 08:04 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Bearcat99
That article is interesting..

Yep. The thing that surprised me the most was the age data. It means you and I are still relevant, at least somewhat...lol thumbsup

Thanks for posting it again, CyBerkut!

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4197628 - 11/22/15 08:20 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: TychosElk]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA

How can anyone claim that putting new players at a disadvantage is a good thing for the game?
Surely it will simply frustrate this influx of new players.

How will that experience attract new players?

I think a distinct danger now is that these potential new players are likely to hear from other new players how difficult it is, and how you can't do certain manoeuvres and decide it's not for them after all.

If you're not going to give players an even playing field you're inviting raging criticism.

How? Easily... all that means is that they will eventually have to buy a joystick to get the most out of the sim. The two alternatives are to leave it as it is... which is even harder for anyone without a joystick... so they won't even look at it.. or to change the FMs to accommodate non joystick users.. War Thunder does that... so why? I don't see a danger.. I think that if new players who don't want to try the sim because you need a joystick to do the most rudimentary stuff have the option to at least try it.

I think that developers will have learned by now that no matter what they do, a good few of their customers will insist that they have done it wrong. And come up with all sorts of contradictory reasons why.

+1

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4197639 - 11/22/15 08:38 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Back on topic...

Tanks. Cool. Having to jump from driver to gunner seat, not really cool. In fact not sure how practical this really would be. Should you drive until you get shot, and then stop? What chance you will see your enemy through driver slit? Strange gameplay choice which is why other tank sims have the commander view.

Still not clear what this would offer that WoT, WT etc don't already offer...maybe tank cockpit view?

Have been driving around the new Stalingrad map in War Thunder Ground Forces, tractor factory area, very very cool. Destructible buildings... I was hiding in one and a bomb hit and brought it down on top of me. Buildings and ruins really great, but maps are a bit claustrophic so there is some potential in the big BoS/M maps if you can put enough units on there so you dont have to drive for an hour to meet the enemy.

Pretty sure tanks in this sim would be disappointing tho - very few types, difficult gamepay (the driver, gunner thing) ground objects less complex than other games to name a few reasons).

That said, if it was free I'd give it a try!!

[Linked Image]
#4197650 - 11/22/15 08:56 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: HeinKill]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted By: HeinKill

That said, if it was free I'd give it a try!!

Exactly. If it were free. Most folk would give it a try if it were free, but these jokers are charging $50 $90.
What bearcat and others are saying is that the devs are hoping to trick new customers out of their money to try the mouse mode and if they don't like it they can "piss off or buy a joystick" but thanks for the money anyway.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4197652 - 11/22/15 09:00 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
I'm sure it'll be really great, there will be a huge influx of new players eager to spend $50 so they can try fly-by-mouse, and the future of the game will be secured.

Or those mouse pilots will stick with the free mouse flying games that already exist, and the BOS devs will attempt another hair-brained idea.

So far they haven't managed to make plan A work out for their customers/investors.

Last edited by Extreme_One; 11/22/15 09:03 PM.
#4197653 - 11/22/15 09:00 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
TychosElk Offline
TychosElk  Offline

@Johnny_Redd: Evidently your reading comprehension skills are somewhat lacking...

Last edited by TychosElk; 11/22/15 09:01 PM.
#4197670 - 11/22/15 09:42 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: TychosElk]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

@Johnny_Redd: Evidently your reading comprehension skills are somewhat lacking...

Evidently you're interpreting what was written differently, but wrongly so, imo.

That beside, slighting fellow forum members automatically sets you wrong, in my book anyway.

Last edited by robtek; 11/22/15 09:43 PM.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.