Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 220 of 240 1 2 218 219 220 221 222 239 240
#4015869 - 09/29/14 01:58 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge *** [Re: eno75]  
Bilko Offline
Bilko  Offline

Fort Baxter, Roseville,KS
Originally Posted By: eno75
Eh guys... thought I'd stop in and say hello.

Been drifting my lazy eye over to the ED forums on occasion to take a look at the condition of the mission editor as well as some of the ground AI. I'm not really seeing anything specific about it getting better- but what has the experience been so far?

I'm starting to itch to make simple but realistic missions for small groups of aircraft- probably type specific and mostly cooperative. As most of you know, my "specialty" or at least the mission style I understood the best was for the A-10C since that was what most of my reading involved.

But I have no more patience now for static targets and deplorable pathfinding on AI ground units than when I left... I just don't want to waste one more second wrestling with the mission editor trying to configure a route for a ground unit that is going to randomly hit a bridge and turn into a leaning tower of M1s. I'm even less interested than that to fly for an hour with others in a mission that took days of mission editor time to build and fine tune just to show up over the target area to find out that the convoy I'm looking for is turned inside out and still inchworming its way along a road warming up their tires in formula 1 tailgating.

In perusing the thread I see that people are still active and enjoying the missions that crew created... seeing some familiar faces. I even saw lucky812 come in after what I think has been over a year hiatus!

So... weather report? How are things going on there on a technical / AI level? Time to get back into it?

Eno, There have been missions made that seem to have survived the ravages of the ME bugs and have remained true to historical realism as well. It seems that for too long mission designers have abandoned historical realism in favor of game play enhancement by littering the AO with SAMs and I think there are many that would appreciate more missions like FOB Vetka, Welcome to Suse and Bactria that are true to the role that the A-10C was designed to carry out. IMO immersion is not enhanced with fancy scripting that is subject to fail with all manner of movement on the ground that few are aware of anyway, but rather a more creative approach presenting a realistic scenerio that represents the real world battlefield. During Desert Storm the A-10 had 12 air to air kills and all of them were helos. The greatest threat to the A-10 has always been Manpads not the endless list of Uber SAMs that prevail in most MP coop missions. I for one am tired of missions that require high altitude flights that force a pilot to see the world from a TGP screen and look forward to a time when mission designers will accept the challenge of creating missions that are intriguing while adhering to the historical realism of a true A-10 mission. If we wait until we have a reliable bug free ME available we may be waiting a very long time and it has been been proven that high quality, challenging and intriguing missions with a high degree of immersion can be created NOW if the mission designer is willing to accept the challenge. It's time to put down the IPAD tankfest game and get busy sir.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4016104 - 09/30/14 01:41 AM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: eno75]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Bilko,
Welcome to SimHQ.

Give us your mission plan and I might build it.

You just never know where the next best mission idea will come from.

---

You know this guy?

WC

#4016609 - 10/01/14 01:21 AM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: eno75]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Thinking about this coming Friday and want to run the Herky Jerk mission.

It is an A-10C mission, only. Protect the Herky Bird's gals while it picks up our spec-ops boys.

WC

#4016822 - 10/01/14 04:37 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Molasses Offline
Molasses  Offline

Missouri
Originally Posted By: Wrecking Crew
I added two A-10Cs, but they are all the way back at Vaziani -- quite a distance.

We played Fog Of War again and Red won by capturing the FARPs with a lot of units.

WC

Oh and don't forget even though the farps now have ammo tents and fuel we the Huey's still are not able to rearm or refuel at them.

Also just wanted to make a note....the best load out for the Huey for an Attack role is:

- Forward firing mini's- The Copilots flex site works the best but is usually the first thing that pops under fire. Pilot can fire these from a fixed forward position as well.
- Twin 19 pack 2.75 inch rockets. I don't use the 14 pack unless they are willie petes (for marking targets).
- 2 M-60s door guns. The Mini guns in the door weigh too much and the gunners can't hit anything anyway (unless I am not doing something right) I normally pick the M-60s because they are good at pointing out targets. (except tanks)
- about 50% fuel load (that's about 30 to 50 minutes of flight time). I never fly with 100% fuel. 1/2 fuel weight makes the Huey respond so much better its like driving a sports car... ok maybe a hot rod Lincoln.

This is the load out I use. The door mini guns in the doors weigh a lot and the gunners can't hit anything anyway (unless I am not doing something right) I normally pick the M-60 and they will point out all targets except tanks.

Last edited by Molasses; 10/01/14 06:47 PM.
#4016887 - 10/01/14 07:39 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: eno75]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
You *still* can't rearm or refuel?? This in Fog Of War?

WC

#4016909 - 10/01/14 08:35 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Molasses Offline
Molasses  Offline

Missouri
You *still* can't rearm or refuel?? This in Fog Of War?

WC

it was the same fog of war we were playing two or three nights ago where I couldn't get off the helipad because of over running tanks.. The A-10Cs were added. you told me you added AMMO Tents and Fuel trucks... I still could not rearm. I think it may have been Saturday Night or Sunday Night.

I haven't tried it since.

Last edited by Molasses; 10/01/14 08:36 PM.
#4016911 - 10/01/14 08:41 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: eno75]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
ummmm

Yes I added 2x each: Fuel, Ammo, CP and Tent. Plus I replaced the four FARPs, deleted the Warehouses and Options files in the .miz. I'll try to get in there tonight and test it.

WC

#4016964 - 10/01/14 11:54 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: eno75]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Figures I was gonna go back and look at the highway track, and it's corrupted frown

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4016967 - 10/02/14 12:06 AM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: eno75]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
BEANS and I can rearm and refuel Hueys in Fog Of War. BEANS flew off and expended his weps and came back, landed, and was able to rearm and refuel -- but only after he opened his doors. I forgot how to start the darn thing :-P

WC

#4017306 - 10/02/14 07:30 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Molasses Offline
Molasses  Offline

Missouri
BEANS and I can rearm and refuel Hueys in Fog Of War. BEANS flew off and expended his weps and came back, landed, and was able to rearm and refuel -- but only after he opened his doors. I forgot how to start the darn thing :-P

WC

Yayee... that will make it work a lot better. Can't wait to give it a go...

Crew you have to set the throttle for start... Page UP until throttle is full... then page Down until throttle is at detent which is all the way. Then Starter Gen to start, Battery on, Fuel on, Gov set to aut, and Hydro on, Force Trim ON, and START.

#4017630 - 10/03/14 04:26 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: eno75]  
USMC BEANS Offline
USMC BEANS  Offline

Seattle, Washington
2 KA50's and an A-10C on Road Kill was pretty awesome. Getting the convoys jammed up on that small bridge really gave our airbase a nice buffer zone.

#4017662 - 10/03/14 05:27 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: USMC BEANS]  
Molasses Offline
Molasses  Offline

Missouri
Originally Posted By: USMC BEANS
2 KA50's and an A-10C on Road Kill was pretty awesome. Getting the convoys jammed up on that small bridge really gave our airbase a nice buffer zone.

Yeah when I came back (after being gone 15 to 20 minutes) and got my KA-50 repaired and looked at F-10 and there were enemy units just outside the air field they had found their way around the blown bridge and were advancing on the base... I didn't have time to start my engines.... LOL

#4017668 - 10/03/14 05:45 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: eno75]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Yes, that was pretty fun. Too bad we all had to leave -- just when things were starting to go our way. I'll be on tonight -- Happy Friday!

WC

#4018019 - 10/04/14 03:14 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Wesley Offline
Wesley  Offline

Did some more work with the F-86 Sabre! Starting to really enjoy this bird. In the fray, from a distance it gets a little tough to identify Sabres vs. Migs unless I get an angle to see the tail layout or a glint of yellow - wingtip is easiest to see.

With the 670 installed (and my 660 still in) - I get graphics issues (see rectangles in water under and right of Sabre) however this only happens if the primary monitor is attached to the 670 and ONLY with DCS. Going to experiment some more later. For now, the 660 does the work.

Look both ways before crossing the street!

Parachuting down I reflected on my mistake of fixating on that MiG and ignoring the one I saw in my rear-view mirror....but the best lesson was finding out my Sabre was also a cloning machine!

#4018101 - 10/04/14 06:38 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: eno75]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Originally Posted By: eno75
Eh guys... thought I'd stop in and say hello.

Been drifting my lazy eye over to the ED forums on occasion to take a look at the condition of the mission editor as well as some of the ground AI. I'm not really seeing anything specific about it getting better- but what has the experience been so far?

I'm starting to itch to make simple but realistic missions for small groups of aircraft- probably type specific and mostly cooperative. As most of you know, my "specialty" or at least the mission style I understood the best was for the A-10C since that was what most of my reading involved.

But I have no more patience now for static targets and deplorable pathfinding on AI ground units than when I left... I just don't want to waste one more second wrestling with the mission editor trying to configure a route for a ground unit that is going to randomly hit a bridge and turn into a leaning tower of M1s. I'm even less interested than that to fly for an hour with others in a mission that took days of mission editor time to build and fine tune just to show up over the target area to find out that the convoy I'm looking for is turned inside out and still inchworming its way along a road warming up their tires in formula 1 tailgating.

In perusing the thread I see that people are still active and enjoying the missions that crew created... seeing some familiar faces. I even saw lucky812 come in after what I think has been over a year hiatus!

So... weather report? How are things going on there on a technical / AI level? Time to get back into it?

Recently I tried to make a mission that only had 4 MiGs with 2 waypoints (0 start, 1 land). They couldn't do it. 50% casualties. How do you work with that?!

#4018139 - 10/04/14 08:34 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: Frederf]  
Wesley Offline
Wesley  Offline

Originally Posted By: Frederf
Recently I tried to make a mission that only had 4 MiGs with 2 waypoints (0 start, 1 land). They couldn't do it. 50% casualties. How do you work with that?!

I had recently made a mission with a MiG-21 going to nuke a target. It would NOT engage on an attack run under a myriad of different mission types etc, until I specifically set in the ME for it to attack a specific unit - any other configuration of attack and it would just RTB. When it did, the AI couldn't even land the plane and did multiple go-arounds and based on the payload I gave it - was running on fumes when it did touch down.

#4018260 - 10/05/14 03:40 AM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: eno75]  
Wesley Offline
Wesley  Offline

I've have lately been having a very difficult time flying on DCS due to the position of the controls on my desk. At best they remained slightly out of reach, so I had to strain my back and shoulders to reach forward for them. I have the desk lowered to accommodate a second monitor and the TrackIR5 - its lowered so they don't obstruct view of the 50" TV I use as a monitor. Staying back a bit is the only way my knees can clear the lower frame of the desk, which I need to fully deflect the rudder pedals.

Seeing as how I don't have $500 for a Playseat Flight, or a budget at all - some scraps from the garage, a circular saw, drill and a few screws built me a VERY rough control mount board. The chair's base bolts aren't long enough to attach it so I will buy longer ones aswell as some 1/4" screws and wing nuts to attach the throttle firmly.

As for the stick, I had previously experimented with placing it under my legs but found it obstructed leg motion. I was able to resolve this by detaching the base-plate, turning it 90 degrees and re-attaching it. It will also get new screws to attach to the chair mount.

Total Cost: A few bucks on some new screws.
Skill/Experience Required: None - I don't have any!

#4018438 - 10/05/14 06:25 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: eno75]  
USMC BEANS Offline
USMC BEANS  Offline

Seattle, Washington
What was the name of the mission we played last night? I enjoyed that one. Good mix of aircraft and targets.

#4019118 - 10/07/14 04:20 AM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: eno75]  
VIKBELL Offline
VIKBELL  Offline

GULF COAST TEXAS
Hello WC I enjoyed your mission on the Bomber attack. I got to use several aim 7 missiles and guns killed a couple nice.

#4019391 - 10/07/14 08:36 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse and Crew's Hollo Pointe Server Lounge [Re: eno75]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Glad you enjoyed it, VIKBELL! There are several missions with F-15Cs -- but beware, some have H2H Red jets, too.

WC

Page 220 of 240 1 2 218 219 220 221 222 239 240

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.