Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3644311 - 09/14/12 05:44 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! *** [Re: Chivas]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Originally Posted By: Chivas
Originally Posted By: Icarus1
This is not good news. Its better news than they are closing shop but thats about it. I have no interest in the sequel and do not want to buy it. I am now either forced to give up on CoD or buy a sequel I do not want. Fine for those who want the sequel. It is downright [admin edit - no accusations like that please] to make me pay twice for a product that I have already bought. Its called bait and switch. Good news indeed.

Did you buy all of the old series? The Sequel is just a new map with a bunch of improvements to the game engine and features. Maybe you can join us again when/if they fix the game engine and add maps/aircraft your interested in. In the meantime, thankyou, it looks like your investment has kept the develpment in business long enough that many of us might enjoy further installments to the series.

No I will not buy the sequel it does not interest me. Bait and switch is [admin edit - no accusations like that please]. Its so sad a company will not support their buggy product unless you keep paying.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3644314 - 09/14/12 05:56 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: Force10]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Force10
the Sequel will make a huge improvement in new features, and fixes to the AI, Commands, FM, DM, FMB, GUI, Animations etc etc.

Chivas, you were spewing the same mis-information a year ago when you claimed COD would be patched to these levels. It's quite obvious the sequel is on a fast track for completion and many of these fixes just aren't going to happen. Now the excuse will be "Given the utter failure of the COD engine, we had limited time to turn out the sequel so these fixes were not able to make it into this release".

You can bet their time has been spent on the maps and plane models and all the fixes Chivas mentioned above are not going to be in the sequel for quite awhile. My advice to all would be to hold off buying the sequel until you know whats been fixed and possibly pick it up some months later during a sale of some sort.

I agree no one should buy the Sequel unless the game engine is fixed. Your suggestion that these fixes aren't going to happen are no more accurate that my suggestion that they will. Although I have a much better chance of it happening as long as the development stays in business, and merges Sequels. I've did say in the past COD will be fixed thru patches and Sequels, by the devs and community, but stated no time frame for those fixes. You can continue spewing your negativity, and I can continue a more positive stance, but neither will make much difference. Its quite possible that the development will fail and you can bang your chest in a empty forum.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3644316 - 09/14/12 06:01 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: Robusti]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
This is not good news. Its better news than they are closing shop but thats about it. I have no interest in the sequel and do not want to buy it. I am now either forced to give up on CoD or buy a sequel I do not want. Fine for those who want the sequel. It is downright [admin edit - no accusations like that please] to make me pay twice for a product that I have already bought. Its called bait and switch. Good news indeed.

Did you buy all of the old series? The Sequel is just a new map with a bunch of improvements to the game engine and features. Maybe you can join us again when/if they fix the game engine and add maps/aircraft your interested in. In the meantime, thankyou, it looks like your investment has kept the develpment in business long enough that many of us might enjoy further installments to the series.

No I will not buy the sequel it does not interest me. Bait and switch is [admin edit - no accusations like that please]. Its so sad a company will not support their buggy product unless you keep paying.

I didn't ask you if you'd buy the sequel that doesn't interest you. The development did support all their past products with Sequels that added content, but when you find a developer who does that for free let me know.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3644320 - 09/14/12 06:12 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: HeinKill]  
Lixma Offline
Lixma  Offline

Londinium
I don't think this news is particularly dramatic or unexpected - they need to keep going forward if they are to survive.

But what I'm puzzled about is why it's taking so long for the sequel to be officially announced.

My understanding was that COD would be published by Ubisoft but beyond that no agreements were made. So if 1C Maddox are going to self publish the sequel then we might find the same awkward position that Eagle Dynamics are in with regards to LOMAC.

Does anyone know if Ubisoft will be involved with the sequel?

#3644321 - 09/14/12 06:13 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: Chivas]  
Force10 Online zombie
I'm just a
Force10  Online Zombie
I'm just a

CA
You can continue spewing your negativity, and I can continue a more positive stance, but neither will make much difference. Its quite possible that the development will fail and you can bang your chest in a empty forum.

The difference between our views is that mine is based on history and is therefore more reality based. 1C has never had an issue with deceiving their customers as far as COD is concerned. They will do the bare minimum to get BOM out the door and I'm just saying that we should exercise caution this time around.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3644329 - 09/14/12 06:27 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: Chivas]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

I didn't ask you if you'd buy the sequel that doesn't interest you. The development did support all their past products with Sequels that added content, but when you find a developer who does that for free let me know.

All games/sims I know don't force you to buy sequels to fix bug problems. It called bait and switch which is [admin edit - no accusations like that please].

#3644331 - 09/14/12 06:29 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: Force10]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
You can continue spewing your negativity, and I can continue a more positive stance, but neither will make much difference. Its quite possible that the development will fail and you can bang your chest in a empty forum.

The difference between our views is that mine is based on history and is therefore more reality based. 1C has never had an issue with deceiving their customers as far as COD is concerned. They will do the bare minimum to get BOM out the door and I'm just saying that we should exercise caution this time around.

If you want to talk history, Maddox Games has a ten year history of supporting their products, so I believe my opinion is more reality based than yours. Yes Maddox Games released one unfinished product, but said they would continue working on it, and have continued to do so for the last two years and are still working on it. We will probably see the RC patch relatively soon and see further support when/if we buy the Sequel. This is a problem for those with no interest in the Sequel, but most people will buy the Sequel if the game engine is fixed. I do agree it would be good business for the development to provide a patch exclusively for COD after the release of the Sequel with some fixes, but not new features.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3644332 - 09/14/12 06:31 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: Chivas]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

If you want to talk history, Maddox Games has a ten year history of supporting their products, so I believe my opinion is more reality based than yours. Yes Maddox Games released one unfinished product, but said they would continue working on it, and have continued to do so for the last two years and are still working on it. We will probably see the RC patch relatively soon and see further support when/if we buy the Sequel. This is a problem for those with no interest in the Sequel, but most people will buy the Sequel if the game engine is fixed. I do agree it would be good business for the development to provide a patch exclusively for COD after the release of the Sequel with some fixes, but not new features.

Who cares! They are playing bait and switch it is a disgrace to force people to pay for bug fix patches. PERIOD.

#3644334 - 09/14/12 06:34 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: Robusti]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
All games/sims I know don't force you to buy sequels to fix bug problems. It called bait and switch which is [admin edit - no accusations like that please].

Last I heard they were providing an RC patch to fix bugs, how many bugs it will fix is another question. We will have to wait and see.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3644338 - 09/14/12 06:38 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: Chivas]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Last I heard they were providing an RC patch to fix bugs, how many bugs it will fix is another question. We will have to wait and see.

For one AA. B6 said it will be after this patch. To make CoD owners buy a sequel to get that bug fix is bait and switch [admin edit - no accusations like that please], plain and simple.

#3644342 - 09/14/12 06:46 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: HeinKill]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

tanksalot I kinda have to agree with Icarus1. Its seems odd to plan a sequel to a hard to make it work unfinished game instead of one that works?
However, with that said, If they gave up the code so modders could work their magic then I would Buy it.

#3644349 - 09/14/12 06:54 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: Robusti]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada

For one AA. B6 said it will be after this patch. To make CoD owners buy a sequel to get that bug fix is bait and switch [admin edit - no accusations like that please], plain and simple.

I'm sure you can find more issues than AA that won't be fixed anytime soon. I doubt the developer set out to bait and switch anyone and hoped to have the sim fixed long before now, but #%&*$# happens in real life. You have the full right to exercise your indignation with forum posts and by not supporting further products. I will however contradict you when I feel your misrepresenting what the development is trying to do, not because your wrong to have an opinion, but only to suggest to others, that its not as bad as you might suggest. Personally I've found the wait excruciating, but have some empathy for their difficulties, and will probably support them until I feel they are no longer working toward a better product.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3644352 - 09/14/12 06:57 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: HeinKill]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
" I’m sure most of you will agree that we have already supported our release more than perhaps any other developer in a similar situation. "

Uh....No? You don't get "brownie points" for trying to fix the mess you made in the first place. Your customer is rightly entitled to a product that is reasonably optimized and error free.

"Most of you have probably guessed that Cliffs of Dover was not exactly the most profitable project in the world, and for at least the past year supporting it did nothing for the bottom line but put it deeper into the red."

Again, YOUR fault, no one else.

This project is loosing money because you routinely and repeatedly failed to deliver. As a result, an ever-growing contingent of your core audience is jaded of delays, excuses, mismanagement, and being kept in the dark. They've voted with their wallets,and turned potential customers away. Reputations, good and bad, are earned.

Welcome to capitalism, comrade...

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3644354 - 09/14/12 06:58 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: carrick58]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: carrick58
tanksalot I kinda have to agree with Icarus1. Its seems odd to plan a sequel to a hard to make it work unfinished game instead of one that works?
However, with that said, If they gave up the code so modders could work their magic then I would Buy it.

Unfortunately but logically spending time fixing the game engine only for COD and not addressing future cash flow would be fatal. So they are fixing the game engine which will go along way in fixing COD and making the Sequel a success.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3644360 - 09/14/12 07:06 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: HeinKill]  
Wallimiyama Offline
Wallimiyama  Offline

Just south of the North Pole (...
Not one more dime...

ever.

Wally
-Are we havin' fun yet?
#3644361 - 09/14/12 07:08 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: HeinKill]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
I've read all the discussions between the Fanbois and the Haters. I was always more of a hoper.

Now I'm a no hoper!

#3644366 - 09/14/12 07:11 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: Chivas]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Its either bait and switch [admin edit - no accusations like that please] or free bug fixes. Simple as that. There is no reason (other than [admin edit - no accusations like that please]) to force people to buy bug fixes.

#3644368 - 09/14/12 07:12 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
" I’m sure most of you will agree that we have already supported our release more than perhaps any other developer in a similar situation. "

Uh....No? You don't get "brownie points" for trying to fix the mess you made in the first place. Your customer is rightly entitled to a product that is reasonably optimized and error free.

"Most of you have probably guessed that Cliffs of Dover was not exactly the most profitable project in the world, and for at least the past year supporting it did nothing for the bottom line but put it deeper into the red."

Again, YOUR fault, no one else.

This project is loosing money because you routinely and repeatedly failed to deliver. As a result, an ever-growing contingent of your core audience is jaded of delays, excuses, mismanagement, and being kept in the dark. They've voted with their wallets,and turned potential customers away. Reputations, good and bad, are earned.

Welcome to capitalism, comrade...

+1

#3644370 - 09/14/12 07:13 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: Vitesse]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Originally Posted By: Vitesse
I've read all the discussions between the Fanbois and the Haters. I was always more of a hoper.

Now I'm a no hoper!

+1

#3644396 - 09/14/12 08:08 PM Re: Cliffs of Dover is Dead, it's official: long live the sequel! [Re: HeinKill]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
I think the Community is way too harsh and too critical.
True CoD isn't what we had anticipated, I think Oleg said way too much at the beginning and everyone held him to it.
UBISoft who IMO has had some degree of blame in all this because of what they did in the past (the Grumman debacle) and evidently they held a contract for the sequel, pushed it out early, and Oleg out the door..
or so I imagine because production has obviously suffered ever since he left.
The Banana Forums are a joke and it does 1C more harm than good, they may get some useful facts and info but they also get a lot of crap from people who go there to be asshats and know-it-alls looking for an argument.
The Devs really shouldn't share anything, but they could still ask for info and while not telling anyone what they are up to until something is completely done it keeps some anticipation for new things (like what Jason does with RoF) while still being respectable and not getting baited into or allowing the religious zealotry in the Forum over some rivet or latch. The IL-2 Forums have always been a zoo, but it has gotten truly ridiculous in the last few years. The attempt to somehow give them an answer man (B6) is now to put the entire focus on this poor guy to give answers he can't give, truly that is brutally Russian.
So I have bought every one of the several iterations of Il-2, from the stand alone original through FB, Aces, PF, SoM and then I bought it all again with 1946. I got CoD from an Overseas Vendor full price and downloaded it from Steam before it was available in the US and while I'm disappointed a little, I'm no more upset about it than I was in finding that the P-39 was the only Allied plane when I first bought Sturmovik, I still played the hell out of it on a PC with barely enough to run it and it was still the coolest flight sim I had ever seen. So now here we are full circle and I guess we will just have to play IL-2 1946 a little while longer. Cliffs is still a baby, wait till it has all of it's teeth and can eat solid food and it will be just as amazing (as long as they stay in business) but it will take a few more planes and maps and objects which still need to be made for any sequel before it will be anywhere near ready. I probably won't buy the sequel instantly but I might just wait till the next one after that...and there's other stuff to fly,
I mean RoF has Seaplanes ... yeah

Last edited by KRT_Bong; 09/14/12 08:15 PM.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
MLB (baseball)
by PanzerMeyer. 05/02/24 10:37 AM
Admiral Rickover
by RossUK. 05/01/24 12:57 PM
Conversational English 1586
by PanzerMeyer. 04/30/24 10:45 AM
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.