Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3602940 - 07/07/12 12:07 PM DCS Combined arms balance question  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

In the DCS world, trees are not collidable. Radars, rockets, guns and missiles can fly through them.

(Unless i have missed it of course.)

With combined arms. What is to stop a person with a mobile sam launcher to hide inside a forest where they are very hard to see, but yet can aquire targets and fire missiles off from within dense cover as if there is no cover at all ?

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3602994 - 07/07/12 02:34 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

The fact that they too need to see their target and track it visually.

--
44th VFW
#3602997 - 07/07/12 02:37 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Originally Posted By: bogusheadbox
What is to stop a person with a mobile sam launcher to hide inside a forest where they are very hard to see...?

Nothing...

^^^ from The Highway

The RWR will point the way.

WC

#3603009 - 07/07/12 03:21 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Hamblue Offline
Hamblue  Offline

Guess that's why they made IR sensors

Motherboard: Z87. CPU: 4790K clocked to 4.4Ghz.
Ram: 16Gig Power Supply: 1000 watt Video:GTX 780Ti Hard Drives: 500 Gig PCIE SSD and 1TB maxtor.
Video Card. Evga GTX 78O Ti OC
Controllers: Warthog Hotas, Saitek Combat pedals, Track IR5.
#3603561 - 07/08/12 06:04 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

Yes- we will start seeing a whole new kind of crafty out there and as the saying goes "sometimes, the other guy does something right."

Right now I think the number of Sam sites is elevated a bit because their methodology is more predictable and (more) easily overcome. Put fewer, less predictable human assets in place and things will stay exciting though possibly even more balanced than they are now. a couple of guys who are really interested in ruining our day could probably accomplish a great deal. Fortunately we can hang out of reach from most of the sam inventory in the game- Oh wait- but now we also have migs to worry about... Pick your poison I guess.

I am curious though- if the slots aren't occupied by people do those assets still exist in the game as ai until someone comes in? Or are they completely separate entities with start points similar to what we are used to?

#3604365 - 07/10/12 01:58 AM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Balance is a game design word, not a simulation word. It would be up to the scenario creator to make believable or even possible scenarios. Some do; some don't and it has been that way before CA.

I believe the normal CA behavior is the units are there per the mission and human "nudging" is the result of player action. Otherwise they are normal AI under AI control.

#3604378 - 07/10/12 02:22 AM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
mrskortch Offline
mrskortch  Offline

While balance is a game design term and not something typically associated with simulation, it is still a simulation game and to a certain extent balance still matters. Unless the rules of the simulation world are nearly identical to that of the real world we must apply balance and game design to overcome these limitations. One of the unfair advantages that AI posses is the ability to see and shoot through trees. Mission designers may realize this capability and place sams outside of wooded areas, however with CA players can order AI sams to move within a forest, thus negating the intent of balance from the mission builder. Yet the "foul" location of the SAM is but one alternative. CA players can move the sam anywhere, which creates a lovely situation where an attacking player controlled aircraft simply won't memorize the location of specific threats on subsequent replays of the mission.

Quote:
I am curious though- if the slots aren't occupied by people do those assets still exist in the game as ai until someone comes in? Or are they completely separate entities with start points similar to what we are used to?

Unless they added a feature that limits which groups can be controlled, any unit that exists on the map, which has the capability of being directly controlled (FPS), can be AI or player controlled at any point in the mission. Some units are limited to an RTS type of control, but you can change the groups ROE, State, formation, and waypoints.

#3605057 - 07/11/12 12:18 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

"Balance" I think is the wrong term here. This is more like an "exploit". You take advantage of something in the game that goes "against the spirit" of the gameplay. From a simulation standpoint it would need to be fixed at some point. Totally killed the immersion for me watching my JTAC vehicle drive through trees like a ghost.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3606248 - 07/13/12 01:10 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

As an example here is another post from a member playing a tank in CA.
clicky

The player is aparently being engaged by tanks that can see through the forest yet he has no way of engaging said enemy until they break cover.

As for the other posts. I think it is a balance question. As now you can control the ground units, If the AI can see and engage through dense forests and a player contoled unit of the same ability cannot due to visual implemetation of vegetation. Then that surely would come under balance?

Anyway just curious if there is any plans for this or "not at the moment"?

Disclaimer: I am not trying to insite a flame war of any kind for or against.

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 07/13/12 01:12 PM.

Fighterops...

#3606252 - 07/13/12 01:18 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
It is an acknowledged problem - however I've no idea what the solution may be, if there is one.

Nate

#3606260 - 07/13/12 01:24 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

ok, thanks.

Fighterops...

#3607065 - 07/14/12 09:34 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
159th_Viper Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA
.....As now you can control the ground units, If the AI can see and engage through dense forests and a player contoled unit of the same ability cannot due to visual implemetation of vegetation. Then that surely would come under balance?

DTAC may very well go a long way towards solving this particular irritation....Certainly looking promising at present.

Airframe #36
159th Guards Aviation Regiment
"Airspeed, Altitude, or Brains; you always need at least two."
#3607108 - 07/14/12 11:32 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
JayTac Offline
JayTac  Offline

It's definitely missing some of the depth and realism I'd expect from DCS, but for only $30 the value is pretty solid.

#3607357 - 07/15/12 04:13 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Scarface Offline
Scarface  Offline

The whole tree thing is what made me lose interest in BS as soon as I accidentally hit a tree and didn't go boom. It's an old, glaring issue.

#3607364 - 07/15/12 04:22 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
JayTac Offline
JayTac  Offline

Wow never knew that. Sounds like this issue may never be fixed then, wish I would have seen this thread before buying.

Last edited by JayTac; 07/15/12 04:23 PM.
#3607543 - 07/15/12 10:02 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: JayTac]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: JayTac
Wow never knew that. Sounds like this issue may never be fixed then, wish I would have seen this thread before buying.

Don't jump to conclusions just yet. As said previously, DTAC is looking promising.

Airframe #36
159th Guards Aviation Regiment
"Airspeed, Altitude, or Brains; you always need at least two."
#3607611 - 07/16/12 12:09 AM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
As an example here is another post from a member playing a tank in CA.
clicky

The player is aparently being engaged by tanks that can see through the forest yet he has no way of engaging said enemy until they break cover.

As for the other posts. I think it is a balance question. As now you can control the ground units, If the AI can see and engage through dense forests and a player contoled unit of the same ability cannot due to visual implemetation of vegetation. Then that surely would come under balance?

Disclaimer: I am not trying to insite a flame war of any kind for or against.

Not a balance issue.........design flaw. As soon as they did the geee, lets make a bunch of stuff human controlled and playable there where bound to be issues. As a force control element or JTAC......I love the concept. As a ground force simulation I have no idea how that could work and not end up bad. On the fence about getting it. But as of now without better more real world landscapes and trees that do somehting there will be issues. As to playable tanks and stuff...........just a bad idea IMO. Do not match up in quality at all to the aircraft. If I do make the pludge........which I probably will. I forsee messing with that aspect 1 time and wanting to vomit. But to make little plans for ai to go kill stuff with myself zipping around in the air.......hell ya. The ground ai will need to improve ALOT to be a true tactical style game and just forget ground vehicle sim. A couple high detail JTAC type models that work as per real world would serve much better than bad arcade tank game built into a vary good aircraft sim. But I reserve the right to eat my old combat boot if I end up being wrong.

#3607847 - 07/16/12 01:07 PM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
It has been very very clearly stated that CA was not designed to be as detailed as the aircraft. In fact for me the best part of CA is the RTS element of controlling the whole battlefield - the First person control of the vehicles is secondary for me.

Nate

#3608317 - 07/17/12 04:51 AM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: bogusheadbox]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Ehrm...what's DTAC?

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3608341 - 07/17/12 06:12 AM Re: DCS Combined arms balance question [Re: EinsteinEP]  
mrskortch Offline
mrskortch  Offline

Originally Posted By: EinsteinEP
Ehrm...what's DTAC?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89199

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.