Hop To
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
#3575806 - 05/20/12 12:23 AM Re: DayZ [Re: Snail]  
Ryujin Offline
Ryujin  Offline

Originally Posted By: Snail
Here's my suggestion:

So if...

Everyone surviving has within them the potential to be/retain thier humanity...or surrender thier humanity and become something...else. Like you know...a frigging zombie

As you lose humanity...there's an actual penalty for being a rat #%&*$#. You slowly lose effectiveness as a survivor because you can't eat/drink as well...you get the shakes and your aim is harder. It becomes harder to see and hear. You progress from a functional survivor to being one of the zombies. With the abilities and limitations of same.

It takes will to be human in the zombie apocalypse. Cuz zombie is a disease, and it's catching. Do bad things and lose humanity. Do good things and regain humanity...just the way it works now.

I'm *positive* the rat bastards out there will hate this idea. But it sure seems like the natural way to make killing others have consequences.

Once you're a zombie, mix in with the other zombies, gather a group of like-minded people...and go rampage to your heart's content until someone puts you down like a rabid dog.

Why would there be any consequences? It's the zombie apocalypse and all the rules are out the window.

I don't go around blasting people at random, but I don't see why you should penalized. The no rules environment and paranoia is what sets this mod apart from all the other zombie games where everyone is too nice and trusting all the time. I like it where it's really down to the player and their strategy, you just have to be careful, don't trust anyone you don't know, and if you have to, shoot before they do. A big chunk of the players seem pretty friendly, but have a few trigger happy guys mixed in keeps it interesting. The zombie part of gameplay is OK at this point, not great, but having all those other players out there planning how to murder you and having to stay one step ahead is really interesting and deep gameplay.

I could see humanity as a sort of reputation, if it actually worked well. Right now it's too easy to lose your humanity in self defense or other situations as it's hard to make rules that work. But then it'd be too easy to pick out the "bad guys". Not knowing is more interesting.

Last edited by Ryujin; 05/20/12 12:26 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3575929 - 05/20/12 07:14 AM Re: DayZ [Re: Mace71]  
Snail Offline
Snail  Offline

Why should there be consequences? Because otherwise it's just a deathmatch fps with zombie skins running around. He put humanity there for a reason. He just wasn't happy with the current implementation.

On internet games, it's too easy to be the guy who shoots first. When things get too hot, when people try to take you to task for being a murdering so and so...you just log off.

Remember...we're playing a game here. Games have rules, and games try to be fun for everyone playing.

Last edited by Snail; 05/20/12 07:14 AM.
#3575941 - 05/20/12 08:32 AM Re: DayZ [Re: Smosh]  
Jarrod Offline
Jarrod  Offline

hay i tryed loading it in combined operations but now the game wont load it just has a quik fast of and MSDOS screen in the top left corner then it dose nothing what do i have to do to get the game to work

#3576066 - 05/20/12 02:27 PM Re: DayZ [Re: Mace71]  
Wedge Offline
Wedge  Offline

Jarrod: I would look here to try and find a solution -
http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10

#3576096 - 05/20/12 03:28 PM Re: DayZ [Re: godzilla1985]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: godzilla1985
One way to possibly cut the PK's down would be not allowing the person (or if in a group) doing the PK to aquire your stuff or limiting what they can/cannot take (weapons/ammo/med supplies etc = no, food/water = yes). You could do many variations on what can/cannot be taken but make it so there is no real advantage to PK someone for their more valuable supplies. Most players won't PK someone for supplies that are fairly easy to find and run the risk of becoming a bandit. Of course this won't eliminate PK's entirely since some players like doing this on MP for whatever reason. Maybe even allowing the player that was PK'ed the option to respawning with what they had when killed?

The only reason survivors don't kill other survivors is because they don't want a bandit skin but are just as likely to murder anyone with a bandit skin to steal their stuff without thinking how they became a bandit. I try and get away so I don't have to fight them but always have to in the end. They will kill faster than a bandit will as that is deemed right.

I am glad the bandit skin is going as it's like a robber IRL breaking into someone's house and immediately getting a robber mask and stripey jumper!

End of the day I think most people who play this mod have a huge hero complex and see themselves as a goody 2 shoes and must help everyone out yet you would not do that most likely in a real situation like this. You would kill for food and water, to survive.

Last edited by MaceUK33; 05/20/12 03:31 PM.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3576109 - 05/20/12 03:53 PM Re: DayZ [Re: Mace71]  
godzilla1985 Offline
godzilla1985  Offline

Pa
Sorry accidently deleted my OP.
While thats true (people killing for food and water) thats doesn't seem to be the issue of why players kill other players in this mod since those basic items are relativley easy to aquire. It's the high value items that get you PK'ed.

"It's the man, not the machine" Gen Chuck Yeager
#3576123 - 05/20/12 04:19 PM Re: DayZ [Re: Mace71]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
The only reason survivors don't kill other survivors is because they don't want a bandit skin but are just as likely to murder anyone with a bandit skin to steal their stuff without thinking how they became a bandit. I try and get away so I don't have to fight them but always have to in the end. They will kill faster than a bandit will as that is deemed right.

End of the day I think most people who play this mod have a huge hero complex and see themselves as a goody 2 shoes and must help everyone out yet you would not do that most likely in a real situation like this. You would kill for food and water, to survive.

I've had endless discussions in-game about this with people. I must say that I don't think the kill everyone mentallity is correct at all. I think that this is just because of the game environment.

Sure you'd get some people killing people but it wouldn't be the norm. It's not about being a hero, it's about who we are, as humans. There is a reason we as a species has done so well. It's because of our intelligence and social structure, which creates team work.

In a zombie apocolypse, the itchy trigger finger gun totin morons would end up being very alone once they've killed everyone they've seen and would end up dying alone when they can't get themselves out of a situation.

Groups that would congregate and help each other would benefit from group intelligence, different knowledge and skill sets, many sets of eyes and safety in a group. Combined with more firepower and group tactics they would have a much better life then the idiot loner that kills everyone on sight and thinks that the human got it all wrong when it came to survival.

It's all a game created psyche, sure I've tried the bandit life in game, that wouldn't mean I would in real life. If all the people that say that's would they would do in real life, just shoot everyone on sight, I think that says alot about them if that's how they would act in that situation. Obviously laws a good deterent in the 'civilised world' for the potential nut jobs that are out there. But then again, I don't think there are that many, I think they are just kidding themselves. I don't think that 90% of the people saying they would shoot everyone they saw would. They are just saying that because in the game killing people at the moment can make them succed and get the big cool flashy gun, I wouldn't work in real life. There's a reason WE have done so well, and it's not by killing everyone you see.

#3576163 - 05/20/12 05:30 PM Re: DayZ [Re: Mace71]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Here is an interesting graph.

#3576189 - 05/20/12 06:07 PM Re: DayZ [Re: Mace71]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

I was talking about this with my wife tonight. All the people saying that bandits are great, because they'd act like that in real life are full of crap. rolleyes When societies break down, you don't have everyone running around slaying each other like a big free-for-all deathmatch. Armed robberies and the occasional murders, sure, but not the kind of shoot on sight attitude that a lot of players have on DayZ. ( I would do it simply because I refused to be taken by surprise by someone) Generally survivors would seek out other survivors and work together. (or mooch off the others) The people who are already living life like bandits would take advantage of it, but it wouldn't instantly turn the majority of people into them.

Look at New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Mass lootings were common, with sporadic rapes and shootings thrown in. (remember that New Orleans on a good day is one of the "Murder Capitols" of America) It was pretty rough, but it wasn't all out war between the survivors.

Gamers tend to operate in certain ways.
1. Role-players: These are the guys who will take the mod seriously, and actually play the game pretending it was really them in a real-life zompocalypse. (this can include the casual players too) They're the ones who will prefer to work together with other people to survive and scavenge better stuff. They generally only fight other players when forced to. Occasionally they will shoot on sight.

2. Power-gamers: These are the guys who will spawn in and immediately make a bee-line for the best weapon spawns, which they have memorized or mapped out. They'll kill you to acquire better weapons or food. Anything to increase their own power. I think a lot of clans would fit in this group, or possibly an even mix with the role-players.

3. Griefers/Player-killers: Pure-bred bandits. They're only playing to grief the people taking the game seriously, or just have more fun killing human players rather than zombies. These are the ones who will kill you on sight, or backstab you at the most opportune moment.

I downloaded that singleplayer version someone talked about earlier. I was messing with that while waiting to see what the real devs were going to change in the next patch or two. Basically just reading this thread now and then because the zombie genre interests me, and its interesting reading your posts.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3576193 - 05/20/12 06:11 PM Re: DayZ [Re: Master]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Heh, Master - the irony (in the non-Morissette form) here is that looks like the stats of a viral spread of a Zombie plague smile

#3576201 - 05/20/12 06:21 PM Re: DayZ [Re: HogDriver]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Originally Posted By: HogDriver
Look at New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Mass lootings were common, with sporadic rapes and shootings thrown in. (remember that New Orleans on a good day is one of the "Murder Capitols" of America) It was pretty rough, but it wasn't all out war between the survivors.

Yup and the vast majority of those crimes were probably people who were already scum. If I was in the same situation I wouldn't start killing and raping people.

#3576208 - 05/20/12 06:32 PM Re: DayZ [Re: Tigerwulf]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Tigerwulf
Originally Posted By: HogDriver

Yup and the vast majority of those crimes were probably people who were already scum. If I was in the same situation I wouldn't start killing and raping people.

I wouldn't rape anyone either but it would be me and my son against everyone else and I would do what I had to. I wouldn't just kill random people.

I think it would be much more like 'The Road' where food is very scarce, especially after time and people will kill for a tin of beans.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3576266 - 05/20/12 08:10 PM Re: DayZ [Re: Mace71]  
Ryujin Offline
Ryujin  Offline

I'll agree that there probably are more players just shooting everything that moves than is likely realistic, but I haven't found that too be too much of an issue yet. Lots of teamwork and other stuff still happens, but you need to form groups you can trust. It just keeps things interesting (for me at least)and they're generally pretty predictable, hanging out in the same areas. Adding more zombies with better hearing would probably be the way to reduce random shootings a bit, not face masks and humanity points (which so far can't work with the complex self defense situations and take some of the fun out of finding out who's a trigger happy nut, while letting the survivors randomly murder what may be good or bad guys, just because they have the mask). Right now once you become a bandit, even if by self defense, you're pretty much forced to shoot everyone you encounter after that as everyone will be trying to kill you.

In my experience hardcore bandits are probably like 1/5th of the players, there are a lot of nice players and most players falling in some shade of grey. Just having that bit of uncertainty as to where they fall on the trigger happy nut spectrum keeps things tense.

Once you have a decent sized group and move away from the coast, bandit loners aren't that big of an issue as long as you keep away from obvious hang outs for them.

I'd also say New Orleans post-Katrina might not be the best comparison, it seems like it's been the zombie apocalypse for a while with a shortage of supplies and small numbers of equipped survivors. Maybe Somalia at it's worst or some other country that had been without government, food, and basic necessities for some time, but has lots of guns might be a closer example.

#3576271 - 05/20/12 08:16 PM Re: DayZ [Re: Mace71]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
You know this is the only game/mod that people really torn over the moralistic aspects of it and has made to definite 'camps' of survivors and bandits.

#3576307 - 05/20/12 09:31 PM Re: DayZ [Re: Mace71]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Yeah for me that's one of the beauties of DayZ, and the lack of bandit skins won't change how I approach strangers anyhow, since right now "survivors" skinned people can still shoot a couple of innocents before they get the bandit skin anyhow, and often the tricky bastards use that to their advantage.

I will do the same thing I do now, watch and observe from a distance how they treat other they run into, if they are friendly to others then they are probably ok, if you see them kill others, then you know they are bandits whatever the skin.

One other thing I love about the mod is how it has made me explore and appreciate the scenery, it is nice that there are goods in every town, along with the Zeds, and I'm now getting to know each of the towns and areas which I've been playing on for a long time in Arma2 online MP, but never bothered to explore once the AO was cleared and I had to wait for transport to the next AO.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3576359 - 05/20/12 11:20 PM Re: DayZ [Re: Mace71]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
I would like it if we could choose what civilian clothes we wear before spawning. That way if you saw someone murder another player you would still be able to recognise them later on. At the moment they would just blend in with every other generic survivor.

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#3576446 - 05/21/12 01:43 AM Re: DayZ [Re: Jarrod]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
did you get it from steam? have you tried starting up both arma2 and arma2 oa before installing the dayzmod?

maybe this will help:

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#3576518 - 05/21/12 05:14 AM Re: DayZ [Re: Mace71]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

1.5.8 is not out yet (hopefully tomorrow?) but he did post the change log sofar

Quote:
rocket Offline

RE: Timing of Patch 1.5.8

Yet another update Changelog:
* [NEW] Server cleanup system replaced with a more agressive one
* [NEW] Inventory Interaction system (right-click on items in gear screen to bring up interactions)
* [NEW] Temperature System now implemented (effects are limited)
* [NEW] Water can be filled in ponds, all water pumps, wells, but not the sea
* [NEW] Forced disconnection saving for abort and alt+F4
* [NEW] Zombie's will investigate player deaths
* [NEW] Adrenaline rush from panicing causes greately increased hunger for a while
* [NEW] PROTIP: Use Global Chat/VOIP in populated areas
* [FIXED] Helicopter loot despawning too fast
* [FIXED] Climbing a ladder with a pistol will cause you to fall
* [FIXED] Zombies not attracted to Flares and Chemlights

* [FIXED] Panic noises going apeshit all the time

Bandits will stay till Thursday.

BUILD 1.5.8 will be soaking until I wake up for work in four hours. Screw you guys, I'm going home.

#3576553 - 05/21/12 09:21 AM Re: DayZ [Re: Mace71]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
*edit* nevermind,I give up frown

*edit2* Never give up smile

I had the Steam version of Arma 2 and the retail of OA.
The video of how to install DayZ would not work with my set-up but after a bit of fresh thinking I finally got it working.

Last edited by Chucky; 05/21/12 11:12 AM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3576692 - 05/21/12 04:13 PM Re: DayZ [Re: Chucky]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Originally Posted By: Chucky
*edit* nevermind,I give up frown

*edit2* Never give up smile

I had the Steam version of Arma 2 and the retail of OA.
The video of how to install DayZ would not work with my set-up but after a bit of fresh thinking I finally got it working.

Good to hear you got it working mate. Hope you enjoy it.

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.