Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#2616926 - 11/14/08 01:49 PM I played TvT for about 10 minutes, and am very dissapointed.  
Silverswift Offline
Silverswift  Offline

Milwaukee WI
I realize 10 minutes may not be enough time for an informed opinion, but that's all I could stand.. However, I've played this game before. Anyone remember Whirlwind Over Vietnam? I forgot all about that terrible waste of money. I think it's called repression. When I fired up TvT last night, I said "this is familar.". If I wouldve remembered WoV, and realized that it's the same developer, I never would have bought this. WoV was the only game i purchased that was sooo bad, that I vowed never to buy a game from that developer again. That game was rushed out of the door so fast, I would call it a tech demo vs. a real game meant to be played. It was so heavily scripted that if yoi didnt hit a checkpoint, the wingmen would just stop in mid air, an issue I hear TvT has, albeit to a slightly lesser extent. WoV also had the exact same sound problems and install issues that many are reporting with WOV. A patch for WoV was promised, but never happened & all us who bought WoV were SOL. What really pissed me off about TvT is at first glance, it has the exact same issues as WOV.

Quad 9650 *
2 WD 160GB SATA, Raid 0 *
Two GTX 295, in quad *
*all water cooled by Koolance
8GB Corsair DDR3 @1600mhz
ASUS Striker 790i NSE
28" HannsG LCD
Audigy X Fi Fatal1ty Edition
1000kw Enermax PSU
Klipsch 5.1 Ultra
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2616952 - 11/14/08 02:44 PM Re: I played TvT for about 10 minutes, and am very dissapointed. [Re: Silverswift]  
FlyRetired Offline
FlyRetired  Offline

This is one for the record Silverswift (from about a year ago, and a few more). wink

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ub...tml#Post2451055

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ub...tml#Post2414180

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ub...tml#Post2575067

Put a bit of time in the last year concerning this game, the questions surrounding it back then, its preparation and/or improvements (?) for Western release, etc.

#2617028 - 11/14/08 03:42 PM Re: I played TvT for about 10 minutes, and am very dissapointed. [Re: FlyRetired]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
I could never even get WoV to install... but anyway... now tell us WHY you didn't like WW2 Battle Tanks... sure it has problems, some major problems, but myself and many others enjoy it to an extent and have high hopes for it, if problems are addressed...

I mean, think about it... if they fix the MP connection issues... having 8 Tiger's defending an objective, all controlled by a human, and then having 8 T-34's using there speed to flank and destroy the enemy tanks, all with human drivers... working together as a team over teamspeak, to suppress the Tigers and flank them to hit them where they hurt...

Each tank has an internal position you can take control of or allow the AI to control it, (unless the host disables the AI)... The TC calls the targets and has a better view of the surroundings, The gunner does his thing with what I assume is real world sight pictures and information, and the driver position can move into hull down positions for support...

WW2 Battle Tanks may not be the detailed simulation we were wanting, but for what it does, at 40 bucks... IF THEY FIX THE MP, I'd say thats a good deal, and worth the money.

Alot of people are talking about how disappointing it is, but not saying why.

#2617049 - 11/14/08 04:10 PM Re: I played TvT for about 10 minutes, and am very dissapointed. [Re: Magnum]  
Silverswift Offline
Silverswift  Offline

Milwaukee WI
I don't really think I said outright that it sucks; just that it gives me a bad initial feeling, and my very initial impression is that it lacks quality beyond eye candy. So far, specifically, the engine still can't render shadows correctly, & for me at least, the mouse input is by suggestion only. The point of view is also subject to change a random. All these problems were also present in WoV. All these problems were obvious when this game shipped, ad was more than like known issues with the Naplm engine, which they have had at least 2 years to correct. What gives me a little hope in the situation is that it has an editor, where as WoV did not (it only had 12 or so missions as well). I'm off this weekend so hopefully my 5 year old will give me some "daddy time" to dive into it.

Quad 9650 *
2 WD 160GB SATA, Raid 0 *
Two GTX 295, in quad *
*all water cooled by Koolance
8GB Corsair DDR3 @1600mhz
ASUS Striker 790i NSE
28" HannsG LCD
Audigy X Fi Fatal1ty Edition
1000kw Enermax PSU
Klipsch 5.1 Ultra
#2617190 - 11/14/08 06:55 PM Re: I played TvT for about 10 minutes, and am very dissapointed. [Re: Silverswift]  
BlueSixGolf Offline
BlueSixGolf  Offline

Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Silverswift
[T]he mouse input is by suggestion only. The point of view is also subject to change a random.

I had identical issues initially. When I unplugged my joystick, the POV jumping and mouse drift disappeared.

#2617325 - 11/14/08 10:52 PM Re: I played TvT for about 10 minutes, and am very dissapointed. [Re: BlueSixGolf]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Silverswift,
T34 is geared for MP. Even so, I'm finding the limited missions it has challenging, starting with the 2nd German mission. I consider the enemy AI in the game pretty good. There are some issues with the game and real world lethality ranges for the Tiger and T34, but it still doesn't detract from the gameplay. On an additional note, the game will not work with my joystick and it won't keep saves if you try to reassign keyboard controls. However, the game works as good for me with the mouse and keyboard as with the joystick, and I've always preferred the joystick with other TankSims, so thats' saying something for T34 right there.

I find the graphics in the game and detail of the tanks to be superior, I've had no trouble with the crew controls. As a comparison I've also been playing the Demo of Steel Fury. It's joystick compatible and only SP. There are 30 missions in SF and they are longer, I enjoy that as well.

Magnum has a great review of this game, but its' funny how each gamer can get a different impression of a game: My only disagreement with him is that I find T34 much more "simlike" than SF. I think SF is faster paced and not as realistic as T34. But that is what is great about gaming and this forum, we can all agree to disagree.

Play T34 some more and after you've completed the 2nd German mission, post on the forum and give us your next impressions. With the dearth of TankSims available you have to take both of these games for what each one is and isn't, and judge each one on it's own merits. You know, a lot of people hated T72 Iron Warriors (AKA T72 Balkans on Fire), I actually enjoyed it in spite of its flaws. BTW, Steel Fury is using the same engine as T72. For me, the bottom line is I want to support these games, so we will hopefully see more of them. On the back of the T34 DVD box it says "first in a series of battlefield simulations", so maybe we will see expansions to T34. It has gone gold in sales. I'm looking forward to getting my copy of Steel Fury soon and reading Magnum's review of that as well. Happy Hunting!

#2617907 - 11/16/08 03:04 AM Re: I played TvT for about 10 minutes, and am very dissapointed. [Re: trek]  
Edward Offline
Edward  Offline

Laguna Niguel, CA
trek

I think this sim is fantastic and agree with your comments completely smile I've been playing it quite a bit lately and its my new favorite sim. It runs smoothly on my system and its been very stable; with good frame rates. The graphics are just superb. Plus the Tiger is really fun to command. I just think this sim is a blast. I'm also going to get Steel Fury. After waiting so long for a new WWII tank sim its great to now have two good ones smile

S!
Edward

#2618376 - 11/17/08 12:28 AM Re: I played TvT for about 10 minutes, and am very dissapointed. [Re: Edward]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
This is definitely a sim. For your SB PRO PE armor heads, this may sound like nothing, but I was actually quite taken by the fact that I could stall my engine! And I did, repeatedly, until I got the hang of it.

This could be fun. I have to get a lot better before I can even think about MP. T v. T only cost $29.90, U.S. Well worth the modest price.

Last edited by Plainsman; 11/17/08 12:34 AM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#2618521 - 11/17/08 08:18 AM Re: I played TvT for about 10 minutes, and am very dissapointed. [Re: Plainsman]  
Flanker35M Offline
Flanker35M  Offline

Finland, Rovaniemi
S!

I bought T34 vs Tiger, installed allright, but had to do this dll copy/paste thing to get it up and running. Graphics are nice, tanks look good and terrain is purposeful, does not need to be total eye candy but be good for a tank sim ie. rendering distances etc. This the game does fairly well, even forests have graphical problems (flickering etc) at range. So graphically T34vT is allright.

But then to the game itself. Scripted missions etc..AAARGHH!! Go past a certain spot and something happens. Geared to MP or not but I still want a solid SP experience too, as that way I can learn the systems a bit before going to the digital slaughterfield wink

AI seeing thru hills and forests and shooting through a forest too! Annoys the hell out of me. I like a challenge, but AI ruining this with the god like ability to see EVERYTHING..uhoh..Reminds me of IL2 frown

Then to other issues. Those players very knowledgeable of the historical aspects/data have already found bugs/glitches or what you want to call them. In other words penetration values etc. have been off the scale, "surprisingly" in favor for the Russian equipment. Well, corrections have already been made and that changed the name of the game for me, finally the 88mm killed far away and so forth. The challenge still remains and finding that hull down position pays off.

Modability is what will keep T34vT alive as the game itself feels like rushed out the door´. Also MP aspect will give longevity. But again, modding is like a swamp..you will get lost and sink in that because of the amount of different mods and tweaks being available in future. Modding is good if it could be centralized in one site and using some kind of a standard. Would make life of a gamer easier rather than hunting mod A from there but then you need tweak Y to make it work with mod B and C..get the pic?

So I would say T34 vs Tiger is very welcomed as there has been nothing comparable after Panzer Elite released ages ago. It still sets the standards even with a bit oldish graphics. Will take a look in Steel Fury as well, these games will be a good testing software for my new Intel i7 rig biggrin

~Let Chaos Entwine On Defenceless Soil~
#2624124 - 11/27/08 04:01 PM Re: I played TvT for about 10 minutes, and am very dissapointed. [Re: Flanker35M]  
PourleMerite Offline
PourleMerite  Offline

I came across the game today while checking out FSX. It was £25 so I thought it would be worth a go (usually a big mistake).

Well, it's reasonable for the money. I'm running it at max settings on 1600x1200x32, with a Quad 6600 and GTX8800 and it's a bit choppy (seems to average around 25-28FPS). Graphics are a bit rough even at that res without AA.

The SP is nothing more than a training-ground as far as I'm concerned. A bunch of canned missions don't make for any kind of SP experience. Completely sterile.

The MP came up with zero servers in the list. *Sigh*. I gave my brother a ring and he might pick it up on his way home, we'll see if we can get a direct IP game going.

Worst damage I've had so far (from T34/76s) is tracks destroyed and a damaged turret, from well over a klick away. Plenty of rounds clanging off elsewhere. I guess the 85 will do serious damage then (this was why I had reservations about matching off the Tiger against the T34, the only way they were going to make that playable was by nerfing the Tiger and/or ubering the T34. Bit of a shame).

Overall it plays quite nicely. Certainly a refreshing change from RO's arcade tanks, though again the nerfing of the Tiger's capabilities is a considerable minus for me. I'd much rather have had a full-real MkIV vs T34 deal.

Had a look for a patch, nothing on Lighthouse's site and G5 don't even list the game at all.

If they can get the MP working, and allow multi-crewing, the game might make a bit of a showing for the armour nuts (of which I'm one).

Conclusion: For £25 it's a bit of worthwhile entertainment but no sock-blower.

#2625341 - 11/29/08 11:51 PM Re: I played TvT for about 10 minutes, and am very dissapointed. [Re: PourleMerite]  
FokkerDVIII Offline
FokkerDVIII  Offline

Its funny how they claimed this sim was all new from the ground up when in fact they used the same graphics engine,menu's,and game play style used in the helicopter simulation "Whirlwinds Of Vietnam" which was a complete failure.

I noticed it was a rehash of that sim the first time I loaded it up.Also the missions are not structured very well and end abruptly once the objective is completed.The AI is also horrible.

It would of been nice to see the modders get ahold of the code for WOV.They could of fixed everything that was broke but there was zero support for that title.We can only hope they can fix the issues with T34vsTiger but I have already uninstalled it.Maybe some day Ill have the motivation "if" everything is fixed or improved to play it again.

Last edited by akwar; 11/30/08 12:00 AM.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHZ,MSI K9A2 CF V2 MB,6GB Corsair DDR2 Ram,EVGA Geforce GTX560 1GB,500GB Seagate drive,200GB WD drive.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.