Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

C51:

I have just read an explanatory e-mail from Lady "M" outlining in thoughtful but frigid details why it is unlikely that I will get much sympathy from you folks regarding the 1 1/2" inches of fluffy snow we received down here today. Good lord! It can't be that cold up there can it? Man, even a Popsicle in an Eskimo's ice box wouldn't get that cold.

We are actually enjoying the snow but much has already melted. And now because it will hit 17 degrees F. tonight we will have to watch out for black ice on the highways. We see snow infrequently so most of us do not have a clue how to drive in snow much less on ice. Speaking of ice, I'll be lucky not to fall on my "ice". ;\)

Temps in the fifties again by Monday. There goes the snowman. \:\)

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1716512 - 01/10/04 05:08 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Canuck51 Offline
Canuck51  Offline

Toronto, Canada
sorry JRT,
if you're looking for sympathy from this neck of the woods for your 1 1/2" of snow and 17 degrees, you're barking up the wrong tree. When we get those conditions we go to the beach. :p
In Toronto there are crews of people scouting the streets this evening trying to get homeless people to go into shelters. There are always some who freeze to death on days like these \:\(
Quite a few on the east coast have met this fate recently.
Fortunately my old car still starts, but at these temperatures (wind chill of -37 F) the inside of the windscreen ices up a lot.
I just read that in Northern Ontario it is going down to -45 degrees tonight. That is a wee bit chilly. At that stage you need to bring in the brass monkey.
But you know what they say: if life gives you ice, pour a scotch real quick.
Too bad about the snowman JRT.

"you know you've done a wheels up landing when it takes full power to taxi."
#1716513 - 01/10/04 06:54 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

C51:

Well said. With that in mind, we will probably be making Popsicles tomorrow night as we expect a low of 15 degrees F. It is not expected to get warmer than 30 degrees tomorrow with full sun. Still Monday we expect a veritable 'heat wave' with temps soaring up into the fifties F.

Right, I'm ashamed of my miserable whining and I'll stop complaining for we are much better off than you folks in some ways. However you "lucky" northern folk are used to and expect bitter cold and thus are probably more prepared for it. You have much more heavy equipment to clear your roads. You have engine block warmers to help start your cars and heavier insulation stuffed into most everything.

We southerners are not so well prepared. I have seen temps fall to zero F. here not more than once in my long lifetime. Mostly we expect to see low double digits at the coldest at night and not many consecutive nights of that with temps above freezing most days throughout the entire winter.

The homeless here, same as everywhere else, always suffer no matter what the weather. We, the warmly dressed in our warm houses and our warm cars driving to our warm offices or churches or schools are all so much better off than they are. So much so that none of us should ever complain very much about the weather. I will consider this from now on when I feel a tiny draft creep inside my heavy winter coat or have to take a busy moment to clear my frozen windshield of a little ice.

Having said all that, please close that Canadian back door at your earliest inconvenience. We have had quite enough of your arctic air, thank you very much. \:\)

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#1716514 - 01/10/04 07:49 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Canuck51 Offline
Canuck51  Offline

Toronto, Canada
JRT,
the door to the south is always open - it is because of the constant flow of individuals who finally come to their senses and realize they could be in beautiful Carolina instead of freezing their arse off up here. \:D

#1716515 - 01/11/04 03:16 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

C51:

Ahhhhh, my cool Canuck friend, that frosty door supposedly swings both ways does it not? Perhaps some sweaty mid-summer evening when the humidity down here is 100% and the nighttime temps up around 98 degrees F. you may hear a plaintive rap, tap, tap, tapping on one of your chilly windows. Do not throw a shoe, it will not be the cat. ;\)

We were warmer than expected here today with some snow melt. It is not yet 8PM however and the temp is 26 degrees F. and falling like a rock in a snowball. We will see some unusually cold temps tonight for sure. Still it would be considered a heat wave compared to what you expect every day up there in Canuckland.

Speaking of your beautiful winter wonderland is it true they teach igloo building in shop class up there? I read that somewhere. OK, I think it might have been referring to north western Canada. That reminds me it is a perfect night if ever there will be one to read a story or two by Jack London. "The Call of the Wild" perhaps. I love that one. Hmmmmmm. Wasn't that the title of one of the Olga sagas? Perhaps not.

Dux! Where the heck are you? We hardly ever hear from you anymore. What else can you be doing on a cold night like this.....? I heard that remark C51 and now we know why there is a population surge after the long winter in Canada. Because there may be some tender young eyes perusing these pages we best not discuss that suggestion in more detail. I agree that it is very likely exactly what Dux is up to at this very moment. He keeps rabbits you know. I understand those hares have learned quite a lot about love making for our old boy. ;\)

#1716516 - 01/11/04 04:25 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
SNAFU Offline
SNAFU  Offline

United States of America
All,

Did someone mention cold? I'm not all together sure as my eye lids are frozen shut. It's 8 F here now. It's so cold our Siberian Husky wouldn't go out to do her business this morning unless I promised to let her borrow my coat. \:\)

I know C51, us down here are pretty pathetic when it comes to cold weather. You folks must get a kick out of us complaining about the cold when you see much more dramatic temps there. Bear with us. It's not that we cant take the cold. It's just that we feel better if we can complain about it for a while. ;\)

JR2, have you got that sound card working again? How can you play BoB without sound?

TALLY HO!

TALLY HO!
#1716517 - 01/11/04 08:58 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

SNAFU:

Eight degrees F.? I bet when it gets that warm in Canuckland C51 puts on his fleece-lined bathing trunks and goes swimming. Nope. Even though it's a heated area it's been too cold to work in my shop to mess with the computer. I'll take a crack at it tomorrow. Playing BoB without sound means I don't hear myself scream all the way down anymore. I got the printer working again.

Your dog must stay inside? Our big dog sleeps outside every night and sometimes he prefers to lay on the frozen ground and get covered in snow rather than go into his cozy, insulated barrel doghouse. I declare this morning it was a nippy 19 degrees F. and he acted like he was stuck to the ground. When he got up to greet me there was a clear imprint of his warm body melted right into the frozen yard. He does not seem to mind the cold. He does wisely retreat from the biting winter winds however.

The outdoor cats hate the cold and JayDee loves it...up to a point. He has a concealed "burrow" in every room in the house except the bathrooms and the kitchen. These consist of a stout over ferret sized plastic box with a hole made in it which is fitted with a round Quaker Oats box for an entrance. Inside all the boxes are filled with clean shredded newspaper. He burrows into that, hollows out a nest and stays warm and snug all day and all night.

Occasionally he climbs up into bed with us at night. Although we usually make him welcome he seldom stays for very long because he says my constant snoring keeps him awake. I have a news bulletin for Mr. light sleeper, he snores worse than I do. And on top of that everyone who cohabits with a ferret will tell you they are by nature very itchy creatures. Every thirty minutes or so he jumps up like a Chinese fireman going to a drill and runs around scratching like he just discovered a battalion of voracious fleas has bivouacked on his tail. That is only in his mind because, thanks to "Advantage" his coat is always parasite free. Nevertheless all this jumping up and scratching during the night makes him an unpleasant bedfellow.

It will be much warmer tomorrow so C51 you will not have to hear our pitiful complaints much longer. Someone might even get back on topic for a change and type out a story....someone might.....DUX where be ye?

#1716518 - 01/12/04 05:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
SNAFU Offline
SNAFU  Offline

United States of America
All,

Well JR2, while I'm not at all against the four legged family members bunking outdoors the wife and kids would sooner send me outside for the night then the dog. She gets the best treatment of anyone in the house.

Sounds like ole JayDee has quite a spread. How much does a furnished Quaker Oats sunroom go for these days? \:\)

I can see your point about the lack of sound playing BoB. Just last night I had a very tough fight in a campaign mission. Flying with good old 65 squadron we met a flock of Stukas over the channel. I thought it was going to be a cakewalk since when I went into the 3D the Stukas were all alone. By the time we flew to the intercept point a nasty reception was provided by a newly arrived squadron of ME110's. One got the best of me after I downed a Stuka so I jumped from my burning Spit. I was horrified when my chute failed and down I went screaming all the way. It would have seemed less horrible if there were no sound.

Ole Duxie seems to have gone into winter hybirnation. Hope all is well with him.

TALLY HO!

TALLY HO!
#1716519 - 01/13/04 01:44 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

SNAFU:

LOL. I completely sympathise with you regarding the senseless double standard in which many wives seem to give preferential treatment to the pets over us. It would mean a cold night for me, JayDee and the dog, probably on a park bench, if SWMNBN ever had to choose between us and our inside cat.

At least you survive to fight again, and again... ;\)

Yes, our boy Dux is conspicuous by his absence. I do not know how cold it is in Derbyshire right now but with all that anti-freeze he swallows by the pint I doubt he is missing due to cold. \:\)

Dux! Earth calling Dux.....? Looks like I'll have to send another anxious note to Olga begging her to sort him out. Now where did I put that carrier pigeon message capsule?

#1716520 - 01/13/04 06:08 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

This story just in by short wave radio:

There was a sudden fluttering of gray wings in the sky above a broad country estate quite near the English/Scottish boarder. As a little bird crossed over a small clearing, one beady little blue eye sighted down along a long gun metal blue barrel. The barrel moved along tracking the tiny ball of gray. Expertly the shooter took a precise lead just ahead of the flying bird. Suddenly there was a loud report and seen in the sky was a bright puff of feathers slowly expanding downward.

Olga picked up her trophy and removed a small metal capsule from one of its bloody legs. From the capsule she removed a coded message. "Duxy Bebe" cries Olga. "Mine Duxy Bebe is missink agen, I must go to heem ad vunce." And off she ran clearing a path for herself as she lumbered along. Flailing her huge hairy arms before her she plowed right through a centuries old hedge and toppled a small apple tree. A heavy stone statue of Backus fell before her as if it were weightless.

As she broke into the road seen in her wake there was a long trail of plowed earth, fallen shrubbery frightened livestock and curious estate workers. She turned up the winding road toward a large stone mansion. As she ran she continued to screech "Duxxy, Oh, Duxxy ver R Ju?" in a loud baritone voice.

Hmmmmm. This story may well explain why none of those carrier pigeons I've sent to Olga over the years ever returned. Heads up Dux, and don't say I didn't warn you, you'd better batten down the hatches lad, she's on her way to Derbyshire. ;\)

You can take it from here.

#1716521 - 01/14/04 05:51 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Canuck51 Offline
Canuck51  Offline

Toronto, Canada
Drat,
who knew that one of Olga's favourite snacks was raw pigeon with a doorstep of Limburger and a pint of vodka - keeps her breath sweet and also charges up the libido batteries.

Old Dux, better keep out of sight or give us a hint where you are holed up so we can come to the rescue.
JRT, did you hear a scramble bell, why are you running the other way?

#1716522 - 01/14/04 06:45 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

C51:

What me afraid? No indeedy. In fact I was rushing off to Raleigh (fifty miles distant)for the big shindig thrown celebrating the opening of the new Canadian consulate. No one will be surprised to know that Canada is the US's largest trade partner. You may be surprised to hear that NC does a lot of high tech business with Canada. The idea is that with the consulate here it will be easier to set up individual business to business trade partners etc. There were maple leafs and NC flags all over the place as the officials cut the opening ribbon. Twas an interesting event, eh. ;\)

If that appeal to Olga doesn't bring a squeal out of Duxy Bebe nothing ever will. She'll soon sort him out. I'll give him one more day and then we should probably send some nice flowers to his widow.

I've been cogitating on this and it is troubling. I don't know, perhaps other more important things have begun to compete for his valuable time. Since his move to the castle I've noticed he has been absent for longer and longer spells. I was hoping it was only a warm weather thing... but aparently not.

I miss him, his art and his stories, I really do.

Hey Dux! Wherever you happen to be right now look around in the shadows and see if Grief1 and Pijlie are skulking around there too. If so bring them back to the land of the living with you. \:\)

#1716523 - 01/14/04 09:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Greetings Chaps,

Hope to make up for my prolonged absence soon. \:\)

Just got plenty on at present and don't get much time on the old PC lately. Many thanks for your enquiries though - much appreciated.

Thanks for the warning too. I've tripled the guard, and put a bounty of 1000 ducats on the head of anybody with a Russian accent.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#1716524 - 01/15/04 03:11 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Well men the rumors of Dux's early demise were somewhat premature. If only I had it in my power to stop Olga I would now do so. Throw a few more 'gators in the moat old man and triple the guard at the portcullis.

We are sorry to hear that you are being deprived of one of your God given rights. The pursuit of life, liberty and the constant access to your PC. We miss your fellowship old boy and when you stray for such long periods of time without a word we begin to worry.....

We worry about the money you owe us, we worry about who will have to do your chores in your absence, we worry about whether we will be able to get that new combination lock off your trunk before your belongings are shipped to your next of kin, we worry about having to have new ignition keys made for your car. Yes, we worry and worry.

Unlike some of us you obviously have a "life" and much going on. That other life can sometime intervene. Hurry back. We broke five hacksaw blades on that bloody lock already. ;\)

#1716525 - 01/15/04 08:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

OT again:

After seeing what Mother Nature has just dumped on the New England and upper tier states I am ashamed of my recent whining and complaining about a puny 1 1/2 inches of fast melting snow and temperatures dropping into the tens a couple nights around here. Sometimes the "south" isn't "south" enough for me and most times it is just right. Mostly I'm just kidding anyway. How can you seriously complain about just about 6 months of moderately cold weather when most people suffer through 9 or even more?

Chilly C51:

I've spent a lot of time in windy Chicago and frigid Minnesota plus I've gone to school in Michigan so I really should know better than to complain about a little dip into real winter around here.

OK, I just loves to gripe because it raises my blood pressure and warms my tootsies a few degrees. Then when I look at the weather map on the weather channel and see all that purple stuff up your way I shiver and promptly shut my big, fat mouth. Living nine dim months with mountains of grungy snow piling up and having to use an engine block warmer to get your car started and lord knows what to get you stared every morning can't be a laughing matter every day. You Canuck fellows are a hardy lot to be sure.

I bet you couldn't buy an automobile block warmer for sale anywhere in the entire state of North Carolina other than by catalog. Maybe up in the western mountains you might find one but I doubt it.

I hate to break it to everyone this way but it is about time for another story from me. Fortunately for everyone who can read I haven't flown a mission in over a week so I have no inspiration. After almost 200 stories my muse seems to have left me. Perhaps I'll come up with something tonight? I have some ideas for plots scribbled down somewhere, but where? Whose actual turn is it to post a story anyway? So many good authors and pilots have left us for other pursuits. I miss those factual, authentic reading accounts by Pijlie, Grief1 and our BDG pal Bader don't you chaps?

Sounds like Dux is hinting that he is up to something interesting. Perhaps he will find a few inspired moments to post another saga in the Olga series for us? I always look forward to that.

#1716526 - 01/16/04 04:10 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Canuck51 Offline
Canuck51  Offline

Toronto, Canada
Old Dux,
great to hear from you old bean. \:\)
A few well chosen words from you speak more eloquently than do volumes of the average chap.
Don't you hate it when life interferes with BoBing. Pretty soon I won't have time to go to work.

JRT,
if the truth were known, almost everybody here is whining about the weather. It's just the human condition everywhere. I'm about the only fool who sort of enjoys the cold, but then again it was still just a balmy chill factor of -41 today. Yes indeed, the block heater gets my old sh1tbox started every day. Unfortunately my windshield anti freeze is still frozen, but it's okay, I have the route memorised.
That computer still not up to speed? This is becoming desperate. Careful you don't get withdrawl symptoms.
A story? excellent idea. Get those fingers typing

#1716527 - 01/16/04 05:03 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

C51:

LOL! Many is the time my old banger of a car seemed to bring me home after a particularly long and trying day without my even being aware of doing the driving. You do memorize the route. And that can be dangerous.

How far are you, as the crow flies, from NC? Too far to walk just to thaw out for sure. We enjoy the snow down here when we can get some. Too often we in north eastern NC along I-95 seem to be on the borderline between snow and rain so we get freezing rain and that is no fun believe me.

All is well with the computer but the sound card and my Quick Time Player. I believe the sound card is loose in the slot and will revive as soon as I get the energy to crack the box and fix it. SNAFU's idea seems the thing to try first.

Like Dux I've just found too many other things to do to pull out all the umbilical cords one more time and move the aging thing out to my work bench. The extra RAM and removing all that junk from the HDD to CDs has really helped with the speed though. Fewer crashes too. Well PC/Windows crashes that is. My spectacular flaming crashes in BoB due to far too much lead in my wings and fuselage haven't decreased at all. They probably never will. \:\)

#1716528 - 01/17/04 04:23 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I expected to find at least two exciting HWH stories and an Olga saga here tonight..... \:\(

So much for great (and perhaps unreasonable)expectations. There wasn't even a post to read from the ever humorous and always dependable C51. Some nights I just feel like the Lone Ranger around here. The echoes in this empty place will drive you nuts. OK, I must admit that for me that would be a very short trip to begin with.

I will not buck the obvious trend and post a story either. I heard those sighs of relief and I am tempted to type something just for spite.... no, dear lads how can I blame you when my writin' is wrote so wrotten....wright?

Bob isn't as much fun with no sound and the novelty of this real winter weather we're having down south is wearing a bit thin. In fact, taking a glass of water outside and watching it freeze no longer appeals to me. Scientifically it was interesting to a point but my inquiring mind has been satisfied because I easily confirmed early last week that, statistically speaking, no two snow flakes or thrown snowballs are ever the same shape.

Always cheerful, always jolly, I will probably drop in again tomorrow night...and the next..and the next.. ;\)

#1716529 - 01/17/04 03:48 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
SNAFU Offline
SNAFU  Offline

United States of America
Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Twenty five German planes destroyed over Dover this morning. Six RAF aicraft, 3 pilots lost!

Dawn over Dover

The morning sun was rising as 65 squadron reached the interception point. The ground controllers had performed their duty well as we achieved Dover high and above the incoming German raiders. The attackers included a large force of Stukas who would assault the radar station. Behind were the escorts, 40 or more ME109's. "Bandits, Bandits" Flight leader barked out the intercept orders and we banked hard to the left and began a slow decent toward the still unsuspecting Germans below. To our dismay before we were able to fire on them Jerry spotted us and soon there were 109's heading in almost every direction. I swung right and struggled to put myself in a good position as one of the German ME's dove toward the ground. I followed him down gaining too much speed in the process. He pulled hard up and I flew past him without even being able to fire a burst. "Calm down, calm down you bloody fool". I scolded myself.

His move was quite masterful as I found the buggar on my tail blasting away as I wagged left and right. Luckily I was able to shake him and pull away from the danger. More 109's were to my front, their black image against the backdrop of an orange dawn behind them. As I made toward the fray I made sure not to fly in a straight course for more than 15 or 20 seconds. A good thing indeed as tracers soon began to zip past my cockpit to the left and right. I glanced at the mirror to see two 109's firmly attached to my tail. I pushed hard on the stick and my Spit dove toward the ground once again. I flipped the plane from side to side trying to evade the blasts from my pursuers behind. At 2000 feet Red Three called for me to bank right and as I did he opened fire on the Jerry to my left. "I got him" he yelled as the German peeled off trailing a light trail of smoke. "He's streaming glycol" I pulled up at 1000 feet and turned tightly to starboard. In a few seconds I was above the second 109. I rolled over and pulled in snugly on his tail. I pressed the firing button and watched as my bursts tore into his rudder, pieces of debris flying off in chunks. While he tried in vain to break my hold I stayed with him continuing to fire until I was down to less than 500 rounds. Finally a burst ripped into his left wing which disinigrated sending the German spining out of control toward the ground. "He's going down" I screamed into the R/T.

Only when I turned toward home did I realized my Spit had been damaged in the battle. "Bloody hell, I've been hit". The steering was suddenly unstable as the aircraft pulled hard to the right. I called the base controller for a vector and limped along toward home 10 miles off. The rest of my mates were well ahead and were on the ground when I flew across the field waiting for clearance to pancake. I radioed my condition to the controller who dispatched the fire units to the far end of the field. It was difficult to keep the wings level as the plane struggled to stay in the air at landing speed. I increased power a bit and came in faster then advisable in the Spitfire but there was no choice. I dropped the gear at the last second and pressed the plane to the ground. As the wheels bounced up and down I fought the controls to keep from going over the nose. Fortunately I was able to hold the unruley Spit and got it stopped, though well beyond the field. I waved at the fire chaps as I taxied by. They snapped a salute. Pulling into the line of 8 now silent Spitfires I shut down the engine and climbed out. Three of our number were missing. None would return from the dawn over Dover.

TALLY HO!
#1716530 - 01/17/04 05:37 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Osram Offline
Hotshot
Osram  Offline
Hotshot

Bielefeld, Germany
Nice story \:\)

Page 118 of 608 1 2 116 117 118 119 120 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actor Bernard Hill was 79
by NoFlyBoy. 05/06/24 10:54 AM
Maple Griefs Forever
by KraziKanuK. 05/05/24 11:07 PM
Dick Rutan was 85
by F4UDash4. 05/04/24 11:02 AM
May the 4th be with you!
by RossUK. 05/04/24 09:30 AM
MLB (baseball)
by PanzerMeyer. 05/02/24 10:37 AM
Admiral Rickover
by RossUK. 05/01/24 12:57 PM
Conversational English 1586
by PanzerMeyer. 04/30/24 10:45 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.