Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4071794 - 01/30/15 06:17 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
Canuck Offline
Canuck  Offline

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
They must have put them number 1 to make them feel better...............especially LEAF fans!! HAHAHAHAHAHA 8 in a row............losers.

Canuck (aka Canukplf online)

SINE MENS, SINE DOLOR
Ain't nothing in this World for free except oxygen, and even that is wasted on some!!!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4071795 - 01/30/15 06:24 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Canuck]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted By: Canuck
They must have put them number 1 to make them feel better...............especially LEAF GREIF fans!! HAHAHAHAHAHA 8 in a row............losers.

fixed

They be diving faster than a sub doing a crash dive. pitchafit

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4071803 - 01/30/15 06:54 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: Crane Hunter
The best cities as ranked by British accountants...

Montreal is about the only large Canadian city that's sort of world class, Toronto seems very grey and generic despite having its share of big city amenities.

World Class in what exactly? Grand Theft Auto?

Last edited by Vertigo1; 01/30/15 09:14 PM.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4071806 - 01/30/15 06:58 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

#4071807 - 01/30/15 06:58 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
First trip to Toronto, I cashed in the free nights stay I got for using Holiday Inn and booked a room at the Crowne Plaza near the station and the Roundhouse Brewery.
When I got there I found they had upgraded my weeks stay to a penthouse suite with a magnificent view over Lake Ontario, not to say the girl friend was chuffed biggrin

While we were there the tall ships race was on and we could see them tacking across the lake towards the canal entrance at Port Weller. We went down to Port Weller to see the ships and go on board some of them. Also took a trip up to Niagara Falls on the jet boats again great fun. after that we took our hire car and headed off up north to Timmins to visit the GF's mother Canada Day and it snowed heavily biggrin

But I have very fond memories of my time in Toronto, great city, oh and the view through the floor in the CN tower is knee shaking biggrin

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4071944 - 01/31/15 12:42 AM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
Robbster Offline
Robbster  Offline

Calgary, Canada
I'm in Calgary and we didn't even make the list, which surprises me.

#4071948 - 01/31/15 12:48 AM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Peally]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Originally Posted By: Peally
Originally Posted By: Vertigo1
DC, Chicago and LA are on the list; therefore it can be safely assumed that the study is botched.

And New York. Man if those are some of the world's best cities then they're all basically Gotham hell holes.

rofl

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4071950 - 01/31/15 12:55 AM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I'm shocked Detroit and New Orleans didn't make the list if DC did.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4072892 - 02/02/15 07:48 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Toronto?!?

REALLY?

I mean... its 'not bad'... but... NUMBER ONE?!?!! IN THE WHOLE WORLD?!!

Look at the criteria:

Entrepreneur:
you'd be better off in Edmonton or Calgary than Toronto, by a wide margin.

Safe City:
Toronto? The shootout capitol of Canada? Uh... SURE! Just about any other city in Canada would be better.

Cost of Living:
Toronto, the MOST expensive in Canada. Is this a joke?! Are we being punked?!

Liveability:
??? Not sure this one isnt overinflated. Does this mean every ethic restaurant does delivery? That there are live plays every weekend? Seems a bit unclear to me.

Food Security:
Toronto?! Toronto beat Calgary and Edmonton?! PLEASE!

"Democracy Index":
I guess they forgot about all the arrests at the G8 summit a few years ago... Were they even aware of the deportation of homeless people to other counties a decade ago?

Toronto ain't bad, but it doesn't even rate as the best in Canada, much less the best in the world!

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#4072897 - 02/02/15 08:00 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

LA is not a city, or at least it doesn't look like one.

My advice to anyone who wants to visit the United States and see a large city is to skip LA, unless there is a particular event or thing they want to see there, because it doesn't resemble a city at all. Suburban sprawl is a better description. There are things to see and do there, but people with ideas of what it might look like are often mistaken and disappointed when they actually get there. Disneyland is not in LA, it's in one of the less posh areas of Orange County.

As for why people compile the lists they do is going to be subjective, but many of the objections are equally off base. LA gets a lot of flak, but it's still very important commercially and economically to California and the United States, as much as people don't like to admit it- so is New York, so is Chicago. If that is your only regard for your choice in a city, those aren't bad choices (that is, if you can actually make it in those places).

#4072905 - 02/02/15 08:23 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Rick.50cal]  
LightHead Offline
LightHead  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Rick.50cal

Toronto?!?

REALLY?

I mean... its 'not bad'... but... NUMBER ONE?!?!! IN THE WHOLE WORLD?!!

Look at the criteria:

Entrepreneur:
you'd be better off in Edmonton or Calgary than Toronto, by a wide margin.

Safe City:
Toronto? The shootout capitol of Canada? Uh... SURE! Just about any other city in Canada would be better.

Cost of Living:
Toronto, the MOST expensive in Canada. Is this a joke?! Are we being punked?!

Liveability:
??? Not sure this one isnt overinflated. Does this mean every ethic restaurant does delivery? That there are live plays every weekend? Seems a bit unclear to me.

Food Security:
Toronto?! Toronto beat Calgary and Edmonton?! PLEASE!

"Democracy Index":
I guess they forgot about all the arrests at the G8 summit a few years ago... Were they even aware of the deportation of homeless people to other counties a decade ago?

Toronto ain't bad, but it doesn't even rate as the best in Canada, much less the best in the world!

Entrepreneur: Alberta's economy is dependent entirely on petrochemical. No high oil prices = no development. The current situation is emblematic of that. It's just too volatile.

Safe City: As of 2012 Toronto was 10th for firearm related violent crime in Canada (after aforementioned Calgary and Edmonton).

Cost of Living: This part I agree with. The cost of living here is exorbitant, but the Canadian housing market in general is hugely over-inflated.

Liveablility: this is typically a cultural events thing. Is there stuff to do? Hell yes. World class music, theatre, arts, film and food. Plus you're not faced with super harsh winters and the summers are typically pleasant. Lake Ontario provides a recreational haven as well for those seeking a more aquatic lifestyle.

Food Security:
Toronto is encircled by massive expanses of farmland and is adjacent to the Niagara peninsula which in turn supplies a lot of fruit and veg. But by far the best security is the fact that Saskatchewan and Manitoba ship all their good stuff here to be processed at the major food plants in nearby Hamilton.

"Democracy Index": Without getting too political, I agree. However the state of Canadian democracy has been on a downslope for decades now so who knows. I guess the fact we get to vote at all is what counts? (I will also say that polling stations are EVERYWHERE come election time. There's really no difficulty finding where to vote.)

Ultimately as a few have said the whole thing is totally arbitrary. Live wherever you're happiest.

Ever forward!
#4072945 - 02/02/15 09:53 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: CG2015]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
Originally Posted By: CG2015
I am proud to say I never lived in any of the cities on that list nor have I ever visited them.

Do I get a prize for a perfect score?

It sure does. It requires you to visit those cities in order to collect it though.

#4072964 - 02/02/15 10:51 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

I'll bite. Is there a particular reason someone is proud not to visit Osaka? Tokyo? Taipei? Seoul or Hong Kong? Or is it just 'cities- hate 'em.' That might be someone's particular taste, but to simply react like that if you've never visited them is as misplaced as any set of arbitrary criteria which declares any of them the best.

#4073177 - 02/03/15 02:36 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Agreed with Mechanus. It's the same unreasonable attitude that some people have concerning rural areas and small towns.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4073182 - 02/03/15 02:45 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Some cities are good for a one time visit. When we plan for a vacation we prefer to go around most or all of them.

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4073190 - 02/03/15 03:07 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Mechanus]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Mechanus
I'll bite. Is there a particular reason someone is proud not to visit Osaka? Tokyo? Taipei? Seoul or Hong Kong? Or is it just 'cities- hate 'em.' That might be someone's particular taste, but to simply react like that if you've never visited them is as misplaced as any set of arbitrary criteria which declares any of them the best.

Personal taste. (most) Cities, I hate em wink

I find that aside from different cultural norms and architecture people are the same everywhere you go. If I were to visit Tokyo or Paris it'd be to see the historically significant places, not random people. It's not a pride thing, it's indifference and an aversion to gigantic crowds and the politics, drama, and degeneration of the countryside that come with them. I'm pretty proud not to have been stuck in traffic for long in concrete jungles like New York, Chicago, or DC, but as for Europe and such the limiting factors are money, time, and priorities.

ETA: Haggart brings up another point. I wouldn't mind driving through some cities just once to see the sights, but to live there for years would be exhausting and depressing.

Last edited by Peally; 02/03/15 03:08 PM.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4073191 - 02/03/15 03:08 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I dunno, the wife and I loved our vacations to NYC, Boston, Berlin, Seattle, SF, etc. Great places to visit for a week or so, just walking around and looking at stuff (and eating).

But visiting and living someplace are two different things. Atlanta is a nice place to visit, but living in the Atlanta area sucked.

The thing about this list is it assumes a certain level of income that isn't typical of the average Joe. Having an opera house and a zillion cultural attractions is great - if one can afford to attend them. DC is a city of two worlds; if one has the means to live where the advantages of the city are close (all those great restaurants and bars) it's wonderful - but most DC residents don't live there; they live in places where the corner store has a bullet proof barrier from counter to ceiling and money is slid through a one way tray.

Indeed, the affluent of DC don't actually live in DC. They live in towns bordering it (ditto Atlanta). The inverse is true for San Francisco, where only the affluent can afford to live in the city and the worker bees all have to commute in to work.

[edit]

The other thing is that Toronto is in Canada. I don't have anything against Canadians or Canada, but I really don't care if they hand out rainbows and BJ's on the street corners - I'm not going to immigrate to a foreign country. I'm sure Canadians think the same way.

Last edited by Dart; 02/03/15 03:11 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4073200 - 02/03/15 03:23 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
I was surprised to see Seoul way down the list. I really liked that city when I lived near there.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4073205 - 02/03/15 03:32 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Deserved or not, I'm glad to see the city where I was born is considered the best city to live in the World smile

From everything that I know and been reading, if for some reason Toronto shouldn't be considered the best in this category, it surely deserves to be on the top 10 or even in the top 5 (considering cities with millions of inhabitants of course).

#4073216 - 02/03/15 03:40 PM Re: Toronto ranked the best city to live in the World [Re: Linebacker]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

Why are L.A., NY, Chicago, Washington D.C. on that list?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.