Hop To
Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19
#4049242 - 12/11/14 06:40 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: Bearcat99]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Bearcat99

Quote:
Q. Why was the Digital Nature engine chosen instead of the CLOD engine?

A. The Digital Nature engine is an advanced game engine that has been developed over several years and powers ROF with great results. Besides being relatively bug free and well-functioning, it has advanced physics, realistic flight-modeling, progressive damage modeling, complex ballistics, detailed environmental modeling, detailed terrain modeling and superb graphics rendering. Above all else it is more modular and flexible than the CLOD engine. It can even support different types of player vehicles from main battle tanks to giant robots. Using the Digital Nature engine will provide users with a well-functioning product at launch that can be brought to market fairly quickly. It can still be further enhanced in the future as needed.

I believe that the major problems with BoS have less to do with the engine and more to do with the way it is being utilised.

If that is marketing spin --- then they are dead and just won't admit it, if on the other hand it is truly what they believe and the empirical results show something quite different....then they are the proverbial dead man walking...and can't execute...

either way...you end up in the same place... a product which is demonstrably inferior to what preceded it while it claims to be the "successor" to.

I can't get smooth play in this game no matter how much time I spend tweaking it....and it seems tied directly to object density....and of which CLOD just blows BoS out of the air on.

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#4049343 - 12/11/14 10:10 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: SkullBiscuit]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: SkullBiscuit

I can't get smooth play in this game no matter how much time I spend tweaking it....and it seems tied directly to object density....and of which CLOD just blows BoS out of the air on.

Same here. I still haven't tried Bearcat's ideas, but that's my last trick as I've tried everything.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4049625 - 12/12/14 04:38 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: lokitexas]  
ATAG_Bliss Offline
ATAG_Bliss  Offline

Originally Posted By: lokitexas
Its funny that a product 1c made and left behind is one now a thorn in the side of BoS.

Well, one is an actual IL-2 title with vision of Oleg. The other not so much. I've been saying for years what BoS will be, compared to what we're used to for IL-2. Back then, I was labeled someone with an axe to grind or "insert insult here". Now, obviously, everyone can see for themselves that everything I've said is indeed right on the money.

Quote:
The decision to go with DN seems to be a strait quick money one. It gives them this whole we made it in 18 months boost even though some models and of course the engine were already there. It seems more evident the way they pushed it out the door ASAP for "us" in order to have us not to have wait for a new sim. Personal opinion, I would rather wait for a few more years (if even that) to move to a different engine and not use DN. The shelf life of the DN engine seems short. In the long run it will hurt BoS.

The DN engine has never allowed the air war to support the ground war. It's just not in the cards. After constant hounding about the limitations, I was basically told they'd need to spend millions and create a new game engine in order to do anything more than what you can currently. Obviously, we're not getting a new game engine anytime soon.

Quote:
Why did they not continue with the original plan and go CLoD then Battle of Moscow? Too much time? Maybe not the right talent? Already a bad taste from the release CLoD? Maybe a bit of all?

This is pretty complicated. 1st off, for anyone that has IL2COD, you'll notice the folder that says SoftClub. SoftClub was an investor for Clod. The problem (depending on how you look at it) was SoftClub started butting heads with Oleg. Whether it be about release status, money already spent, readiness of the game, Oleg, as we all know, strives for perfection. The money men at Softclub didn't much care other than getting some return on their investment.

This back and forth goes on for a while, before Oleg finally decides it's not "worth it" to put up with the crap any longer. If anyone has been following Oleg, you'll notice his latest revolutionary achievement with Vizzera (spelling?) is just one more revolutionary piece of software for his portfolio. He's essentially created a software that allows people to have a tour of a proposed house, structure, or any sort of construction project (big or small) before the 1st piece of machinery is on the job site for putting down the correct grade. And this software will show any design flaws before the project is even started. Just like anything else he does, it has made waves across the industry.

So with Oleg throwing in the towel, also goes with him his main programmer. To say IL2COD code is complex is an understatement. Inside sources, which I will not mention, have said IL2FB (yep 2001), is much more complex than ROF code. Now when you realize Clod is 100x the complexity of IL2FB, you get a real sense of just how much there is going on in Cliffs. So imagine the guy that knows everything about the code is now gone. And the person that created the vision for the game is now gone. In comes Ilya, trying to save it all. The new programmer can't make heads or tails of things (understandable as few on the planet probably could).

Just as a side note for complexity before continuing. Imagine you're playing your favorite flight sim and you look at the altimeter. Seems pretty simple to get a reading from the sea level / ground level put in the game from some sort of coding. And you're right, it would be. But no no no, not Oleg. Instead he has to go take the actual engineering and mathematical calculations directly from the company that made the altimeter for the British planes, and then turns around and does the same thing for the German/Italian counter parts. That means the percentage of error, the needle movements, right down to the exacting fluctuations, are all based on the real life altimeters as well. Would you or anyone else notice something like this? Heck no! If we were ever to think of such a thing (how do they figure out the altimeter in game?) we'd just think (use formula that measures distance from the ground to the plane -/+ the elevation of actual ground and we'd get reading in our planes. So, then couple this knowledge, this painstaking detail into the other instruments in the plane, and next thing you know, you realize just how much is going on, and all for something you'd never even notice in the 1st place.

So while Ilya is trying to salvage the sim, and is forced to release the game, he's also on a time table for IL2-Online (BoM). The reason for the lack of fixes, painstaking slow fixes etc., are simply because the programmer had to try to learn someone else's 1/2 finished code and code that is stupendously complex. There's aren't many people on the planet that could probably work with it or make heads or tails of it. Lets just say, anyone who thinks the FMs in IL2COD are simple, should really see the flight model code sometime. You name the parameter, the calculations, the physics of ANYTHING the plane is doing, the math, physics, engineering, and calculations are all there.

Luckily, one of those (1 in a billion) genius programmers is in TF. All the stuff that the programmers couldn't fix with source code, our guy is doing without. The programmer for Ilya worked for months trying to fix the atmosphere bug (planes would only go so high / vanilla game), while our guy, without the code, somehow figures it out, re-writes quite a bit of stuff, some having to do exhaust back pressure amongst other things, and viola, it works. Same could be said about 1000 different things, the mirrors, the track editor, netcode, w/e.

The point is all of this, to be perfectly blunt, they didn't work with the Cliffs engine because, quite frankly, there's no way in hell they'd be able to figure it out. This is not a knock or anything, but they can't even figure out how to put trim on an axis so all us flight simmers could actually use those expensive throttle quadrants we bought.

So in the end, it is what it is. We'd love to make 1C money and we'd love to expand Cliffs. With or without them, we're not going to stop anytime soon. To throw this piece of simulation software away would be the biggest travesty in all of WWII flight simming IMO.

And the reality of the situation is the only reason this got totally dumped, is because 777 went to 1C with their "ours is the greatest" propaganda machine, right when IL2COD was hurting the most. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the original IL2 (2001 release) didn't completely return on it's investment until several expansions later. And through all those expansions it ends up being the best selling CFS on the planet with millions upon millions of copies sold. Cliffs could have and should have gone the same route. Once the engine was fixed and it was a content and feature pumping out machine, they would have been on easy street for many many many years to come. And with that Clod engine (ability to interact with ground forces, tanks, AI, artillery etc) there's well over a decade before anyone would ever think it's getting "old".

#4049658 - 12/12/14 05:35 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: WernerVoss]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
My personal guess is that the RoF code and the CloD code are very different in a very simple way - documentation. A lot of programmers don't put any remarks in their code out of hubris ("this is obvious and anyone halfway smart can see it), lack of time/laziness ("you can get it done right, or you can get it done right now"), or as a way to build in job security.

In my last job in the Army I wrote some Visual Basic scripts. Scripts, mind you, not some nice program where one gets to draw a box and put in drop down menus, but scripts that had in text where to put a box, it's size, etc., as well as the code underneath all of them.

I was self taught and it really, really showed. The stuff worked okay, but there was the inevitable bug or two that needed fixed. Because I didn't know any better, I titled all the subroutines with names that matched what they did and put in comments so that when I opened it back up in the future I'd remember what I did.

When I turned it over to one of our officers with a degree in stuff like that (yeah, let the guy with the High School Diploma and two years of college do programming and regression modeling and stuff that officially requires a Master's degree), he groaned at first and then started laughing as he quickly dug in and fixed stuff. He showed me something done by another officer where subroutines were labeled using colors and written numbers; he wanted to be required in order to work on it, and didn't want anyone else to be able to work on it.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4049682 - 12/12/14 06:19 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: WernerVoss]  
the soupdragon Offline
Sexy Beast
the soupdragon  Offline
Sexy Beast
Hotshot

Cardiff South Wales UK
Great post bliss.
Some real eyeopening stuff right there mate.

Sd

From the hills rebounding
Let this war cry sounding
Summon all at Cambria's call
The mighty force surrounding

Men of Harlech onto glory
This shall ever be your story
Keep these fighting words before ye
Welshmen never yield
#4049684 - 12/12/14 06:28 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: the soupdragon]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: the soupdragon
Great post bliss.

Sd

Indeed, interesting read

#4049690 - 12/12/14 06:49 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: WernerVoss]  
WernerVoss Offline
WernerVoss  Offline

Thanks for the insight Bliss, very interesting stuff. Oleg really is a visionary artist (with his own peculiar moments of short-sightedness...Fw190 bar...cough... biggrin ).

Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo
2500K CPU @ 4.5Ghz
Antec H2O Kuhler 950 Water Cooler
16Gb DDR3 DC RAM @ 1600mhz
EVGA GTX780 Classified GPU
Dell U3014 30" Monitor
xFi Titanium HD sound
Corsair Force 250Gb SSD
Corsair RM850w PSU
W7-64
INTJ
#4049691 - 12/12/14 06:50 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: Revvin]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Revvin
Originally Posted By: the soupdragon
Great post bliss.

Sd

Indeed, interesting read

Bliss has made the Paul Harvey Post.... "And now you know the rest of the story" for US radio listeners who are over the age of 40...

That single post by Bliss explains a lot and fills in the holes within the narrative....and confirms suspicions I had when comparing the TF CLOD with BoS that they were really not comparable.....like comparing a jet with a biplane....both had wings...but..

So that's it then....BoS even if it fixes its bugs and changes the fundamental flaws (unlocks, graphics presets, etc) will probably always be limited to a small number of dynamic objects and no link between ground and air....this also seems to explain developer actions that are conscious moves to distance themselves from CLOD...they don't want the comparison as they cannot compete there....and have to seek a less demanding audience...because they simply cannot deliver a product like in the past.

None of this would be controversial had they not targeted the same market and brand followers for early access and then continued to ride on the coat tails of Oleg and IL-2 with sales marketing.

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#4049695 - 12/12/14 06:58 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: WernerVoss]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Thanks Bliss, for the insight that makes a lot of sense to me. TF CLOD is just a fantastic sim...no doubt about it.

#4049733 - 12/12/14 08:27 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: Dart]  
xXNightEagleXx Offline
xXNightEagleXx  Offline

Originally Posted By: Dart
My personal guess is that the RoF code and the CloD code are very different in a very simple way - documentation. A lot of programmers don't put any remarks in their code out of hubris ("this is obvious and anyone halfway smart can see it), lack of time/laziness ("you can get it done right, or you can get it done right now"), or as a way to build in job security.

In my last job in the Army I wrote some Visual Basic scripts. Scripts, mind you, not some nice program where one gets to draw a box and put in drop down menus, but scripts that had in text where to put a box, it's size, etc., as well as the code underneath all of them.

I was self taught and it really, really showed. The stuff worked okay, but there was the inevitable bug or two that needed fixed. Because I didn't know any better, I titled all the subroutines with names that matched what they did and put in comments so that when I opened it back up in the future I'd remember what I did.

When I turned it over to one of our officers with a degree in stuff like that (yeah, let the guy with the High School Diploma and two years of college do programming and regression modeling and stuff that officially requires a Master's degree), he groaned at first and then started laughing as he quickly dug in and fixed stuff. He showed me something done by another officer where subroutines were labeled using colors and written numbers; he wanted to be required in order to work on it, and didn't want anyone else to be able to work on it.

Not the same bro, I've been working for a big IT company on several projects (some small and some really huge - more than 40 programmers around the world), it was a common procedure to have internal documentation and comments in the code. So yeah most of time there are some documentation (might not be the best but there is always something, even from third party codes).
I would say that most of time the biggest difference is between common programmers (typically from university) and those real talented one (most of time without degree), the first one are just so tied to university teachings.

Last edited by WillianG; 12/13/14 10:52 AM.
#4049769 - 12/12/14 09:59 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: WernerVoss]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Thanks for the response Bliss. That IS eye opening and explains a lot.

This is a bummer for people expecting BoS to be something "good" in time though.

#4049803 - 12/13/14 12:02 AM Re: Here's the question. [Re: WernerVoss]  
the soupdragon Offline
Sexy Beast
the soupdragon  Offline
Sexy Beast
Hotshot

Cardiff South Wales UK
Bliss.
Sorry but I have to ask.

As you seem to know so much about the trails and tribulations and back end workings of the CloD release. were you a part of the team? or do you know someone who was? I only ask as you seem to know an awful lot about what went on back in 2010 smile
Are you a disgruntled employee? LOL
Sorry I'm a bit pissed (drunk)
but what a great post.

SD

From the hills rebounding
Let this war cry sounding
Summon all at Cambria's call
The mighty force surrounding

Men of Harlech onto glory
This shall ever be your story
Keep these fighting words before ye
Welshmen never yield
#4049955 - 12/13/14 01:20 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: WernerVoss]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Excellent read Bliss

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4049970 - 12/13/14 02:26 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: WernerVoss]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
In case anyone thinks TL;DR it is well worth it. Interesting post Bliss.

Last edited by Chucky; 12/13/14 02:26 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4049996 - 12/13/14 03:37 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: ATAG_Bliss]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Originally Posted By: ATAG_Bliss
[quote=lokitexas]The DN engine has never allowed the air war to support the ground war.

Why does this matter? BoS is a flight sim, not a ground war game. So is Cliffs of Dover yet their team wasted time making drivable ground vehicles.

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
#4050001 - 12/13/14 03:49 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: ATAG_Bliss]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

This back and forth goes on for a while, before Oleg finally decides it's not "worth it" to put up with the crap any longer.

But this is after SEVEN YEARS! of working on the game! That's an unbelievable eternity in game development time! How much longer would have been necessary to finish CoD?! Ten years?! Don't attack 777 because they actually succeeded where everyone else has failed. Creating a good working WWII combat flight sim. When 777 made Rise of Flight they didn't obsess over cockpit instruments for 6 years. They got the job done on time and made it work. Oleg might have been brilliant in other ways but he clearly had no sense of proportion in managing the development.

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
#4050003 - 12/13/14 03:58 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: ATAG_Bliss]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Inside sources, which I will not mention, have said IL2FB (yep 2001), is much more complex than ROF code.

But "complex" does not meant "better". Not by any stretch of the imagination does Forgotten Battles have a better game engine than RoF
The system spec for one of those old IL-2 games can be met by one of today's smartphones. So how sophisticated can it really be?

#4050005 - 12/13/14 03:59 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: WernerVoss]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
So Oleg should really have just taken the existing IL-2 engine and taken away graphic customisation and achieved exactly the same as BOS then.

#4050012 - 12/13/14 04:09 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: ATAG_Bliss]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

And the reality of the situation is the only reason this got totally dumped, is because 777 went to 1C with their "ours is the greatest" propaganda machine, right when IL2COD was hurting the most.

You just said above that nobody can figure out Olegs programming after he left. So why is 777 wrong for not continuing to bang thei head against the wall trying? Should 1CGS have wasted another decade trying to make a new WWII flight sim? I for one am thankful they did not.

Please don't start the myth of the "DaMaddox Code" where the keys to the perfect flight sim lie hidden in the geious code left behind.

I'm not saying these because I hate Cliffs of Dover, it has many great features. There's room on my machine for all these sims. But it's development shouldn't serve as an example for anyone to emulate.

#4050014 - 12/13/14 04:10 PM Re: Here's the question. [Re: bongodriver]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Originally Posted By: bongodriver
So Oleg should really have just taken the existing IL-2 engine and taken away graphic customisation and achieved exactly the same as BOS then.

That's the only difference you notice between the two?

Page 2 of 19 1 2 3 4 18 19

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.