Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4024664 - 10/20/14 12:56 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

From a technical standpoint, it's good looking in some scenes, the special effects look good.

The story is very uneven, so I'll include a little lite spoiler warning.

For all the grim dialogue and attempt to portray a grim, bottomless sewer depicting total war the action sequences are more out of place, they feel like they belong in an action film, there's Rambo territory here. It rips off Saving Private Ryan in key moments, in fact one of the characters is the exact same character, you'll recognize him immediately.

The story tries so hard to manipulate the audience, it's transparent. There is so much orchestral theme music going on during the battles, which is what SPR avoided. For instance, the fighting actually quits during the middle of a battle so that characters can have their dramatic dialogue, the battle sounds may even completely disappear so they have a moment to talk, complete with theme music and that very typical female choir voice that sings that "whoaaaaaaaaaaa" and even piano music to try and convey sentimental feelings.

The final battle is boring, it's just not realistic. Based on the trailer I'm not surprised they went for that, based on critics' reviews I thought maybe my mind would be changed in that the film might be more realistic. But no, it's more like the trailer.

Click to reveal..
An experienced platoon leader would probably in all likelihood not continue on after losing 75 percent of the tank platoon (down to a single tank), and then attempt to hold the road without infantry support, and after a mobility kill- it's been immobilized by a mine. It doesn't matter though because the dumb Nazi attack waves come in and rush the tank prove easy to mow down.

I also question the Tiger abandoning its position and charging the Sherman tanks, if it had to move, it should have went into reverse gear and continue firing from changing fire positions- in reverse. It squandered its advantage for no reason to charge and close the distance- which is unlikely because Tiger crews were selected because of their experience, which is also why they were effective.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4024671 - 10/20/14 01:40 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

By the way, here are a couple of trailers I saw:

Ridley Scott is doing the story of Exodus. You can see his style in it.

#4024684 - 10/20/14 02:24 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Hardly surprising demographics report from the studio,

"Sony's marketing played up Fury's intense tank-on-tank action, which made it a strong option among male moviegoers. Unfortunately, the movie never really connected with women, who wound up accounting for just 40 percent of the audience on opening weekend. It also struggled with younger moviegoers: the audience was 51 percent over the age of 35."

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4024685 - 10/20/14 02:29 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

There was a decent spread in the theatre I saw it- but the funny thing is, the audience reaction just didn't seem that connected it. The parts that were supposed to be funny no one was really laughing or anything.

There's not even that much tank vs. tank combat. It's difficult making a film that is centered around a tank, that's just a hard story to convey. Buttoned up doing nothing in such a cramped environment for a long time would not make for a good movie. So a lot of the story actually is the drama outside of the tank or when the crew is sitting around chatting and you get Brad Pitt's influence and perspective. It requires a strong character performance, which you got in places, but somehow it wasn't tied together good by the actual violence. Somehow it lacked something compelling.

Based on the trailer, I was hoping that it wasn't going to be a lone tank takes on the world, it was sort of not like that and sort of like that. I wrote in my spoiler tag why I thought the final act was anti-climatic and took away from the film a bit.

#4024695 - 10/20/14 02:55 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Mechanus you make good points on your show me.

Click to reveal..
In fact Fury was a 76mm armed easy 8. At the ranges at the end of the battle that gun was totally able to penetrate a Tigers front armor at the ranges portrayed after the tiger charged. Even a 75mm armed sherman with APCR should be able to cut threw a tigers front armor at 50 meters.

Still I forgive that cause its an actual working real Tiger. biggrin

#4025107 - 10/21/14 03:11 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
theKhan Offline
resident pacifist (sic)
theKhan  Offline
resident pacifist (sic)

Canada
Were any of you guys that watched it

Click to reveal..
disturbed by the scene where he casually shot the German POW that just showed them pictures of his family?

I used to work for a living, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
#4030929 - 11/03/14 05:50 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: FlashBurn]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: theKhan

Also, really do think that like SPR, the obligatory SS Amateur hour at the end was unnecessary.

I was thinking it was more of the political SS at the end, which were more true believers than the hardened fighters. A few of the histories I've read indicates that the quality of the SS units were much much degraded with a few fighters and a mix of old and young.

Originally Posted By: theKhan

The Tiger scene was realistic, except no Tiger driver worth his salt would start driving towards multiple Shermans. That aside, I really enjoyed that scene.

But the final battle was ridiculous, there is NO way that would ever happen..

Click to reveal..
I disagree, I would have pushed forward to get out of the smoke. That said, at that close, I think they would have known that the Sherman to worry about was the one with the 17 Pounder. The turret is different enough it should be clear which one to shoot first. I also don't know if the Tiger would have been that bad of a shot at that close of range. I would have cleared that smoke much quicker and just pounded the Shermans. I don't know why they put space between them and the Tiger, the right answer in an open field like that is to close the distance and swarm.

Originally Posted By: FlashBurn
A lot right. A lot wrong.

Never knew you could see tracers when fired AT you. Road marching around totally oblivious to providing security drove me nuts. All tank guns and turrets always pointed at the 12 o'clock. Or at each other when ever on a road. these things drove me NUTS.

Click to reveal..
I still think those AT guns wouldn't have missed at that close of range.

Quote:
I loved how they portrayed how many US vets felt about the SS and how they should be treated. I wish they more explained WHY this was. So many modern folks have a hard on for SS troops. I think showing how US troops felt about them was pretty great.

Click to reveal..
I didn't realize it was an SS guy. I was thinking, "Really? I could see that with a Japanese prisoner, but not so much a Wermacht soldier."

Quote:
The working tiger... awesome!

More chopped liver after a certain 2 frag grenades went off in a confined space.

Click to reveal..
That was my thought. I was expecting the face ripped off scene. I had one go off on me pretty close once during a training event and just the over pressure was painful, can't imagine the shrapnel cutting the body too. Also, turrents have locking handles.

Quote:
hmm pull into a German town and get drunk when in the middle of the enemies heart land? Seems like a BAD idea to me. Just who was pulling security? Why let your biggest firepower asset crews go get drunk?

Click to reveal..
I really didn't like that douche bag part of the scene. The guy was just over the top.

Quote:
Click to reveal..
Final battle was truly laughable. So vet SS guys never thought of smoking out the static tank and then going with a close in assault until after they lost like 20 guys? Not to mention why on earth would you stay and fight a clearly losing battle. Why not throw thermite on the engine deck, pull back, let folks know what is coming and then draw a new working tank from the motor pool and go back out? By not reporting what was coming and if you where wasted right quick without inflicting large casualties you are in effect doing more harm than good. But this was kind of covered in the movie. However just the same. An entire tank platoon goes off the air, maybe it might be important to know WHY by higher. And driving around the German country side as a single tank platoon with no infantry support?

Why was a Staff Sgt called TOP? Seemed off to me. Maybe I missed something there.

Click to reveal..
Top was referring to him being the highest ranking NCO. We refer to our 1SG as Top.

The last scene, I agree with you. Fall back, nothing to be gained by sacrificing yourself. I also don't understand why they didn't bring the ammo from the outside into the tank before the fight.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4030932 - 11/03/14 05:58 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Hardly surprising demographics report from the studio,

"Sony's marketing played up Fury's intense tank-on-tank action, which made it a strong option among male moviegoers. Unfortunately, the movie never really connected with women, who wound up accounting for just 40 percent of the audience on opening weekend. It also struggled with younger moviegoers: the audience was 51 percent over the age of 35."

In a soldier town, except a few middle age wives toting along with their husbands, the girl I was with was the only female in the movie. Worse part was that after the movie she broke down having had one of close friends killed in front of her in Sh!tholestan. Yea, that wasn't my shining moment of "Let's spend a great evening together." I had never seen her memorial tattoo in uniform before.

Click to reveal..
I would have much preferred a different ending. It was too set. I almost called the scene step by step. I think they should have had twice the number of tanks, had their number cut in half by the Tiger. Continue on and get ambushed with infantry support by an overwhelming force, and let everyone duke it out in a desperate blocking maneuver. It would have had the same action as the last scene, but without the predictability.

Last edited by Timothy; 11/03/14 07:40 AM.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4030963 - 11/03/14 10:08 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Seen this on Friday, on the whole enjoyed it. The big downer about watching films in Belgium is the compulsory intermission, 45 minutes in and ...

Click to reveal..
you are on the emotional rollercoaster of the shooting of the POW, the scene looks up to see the bomber formation coming over and... 10 minute break

really broke the connection with the characters.

Agree with most of what has been said about the scenes in the spoiler tags here.

Our local war memorial in Hechtel Belgium

and in the next town Leopoldsburg

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4030966 - 11/03/14 10:34 AM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
Watched Fury on Saturday. Left the theatre with a slight "meh", not grim enough.
For what it is worth, I enjoyed the character played by the "The Walking Dead" fellow most, whatever his name is.

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4031010 - 11/03/14 01:31 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: Alicatt]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Alicatt
Seen this on Friday, on the whole enjoyed it. The big downer about watching films in Belgium is the compulsory intermission, 45 minutes in and ...

Wait, what? They stop the movie?? WTF kind of rule is that?
Whoever did it deserves to get a one hour special on CNN called "stupidest person on the planet alive today."

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4031055 - 11/03/14 02:20 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
When I went to see Unknown the lady friend I had along went to pee during the 3 minutes where they explained the whole movie and plot about two thirds of the way in. I generally just hold it and squirm like a flailing idiot for the whole movie.

Intermissions are not a bad idea biggrin

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4031060 - 11/03/14 02:23 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I guess Belgium didn't read the memo on the fact that Hollywood films stopped having intermissions integrated into the story oh, about 45 years ago.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4031065 - 11/03/14 02:25 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I guess Belgium didn't read the memo on the fact that Hollywood films stopped having intermissions integrated into the story oh, about 45 years ago.

Even then it was usually 3 hour epics. When epics fell out of favor by by intermissions.

#4031068 - 11/03/14 02:29 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: FlashBurn]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: FlashBurn

Even then it was usually 3 hour epics. When epics fell out of favor by by intermissions.
Yeah that's a good point. I have a few films on dvd that have the intermissions like Blue Max, Tora Tora Tora and Patton.

#4031079 - 11/03/14 02:39 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Ben Hur comes to mind... And that crappy Liz Taylor Cleopatra. Oh Spartacus.

I miss GOOD epics. Wish those would come back.

And we need them now. In the era that a small soda is like freaking 24 ounces of suger it would be nice to not be crawled over by folks making a run for the can. UGh... small should be no more than 12 ounces of freaking soda. Who buys a large it the movies? how can you drink that and not run for the can? biggrin

Last edited by FlashBurn; 11/03/14 02:40 PM.
#4031083 - 11/03/14 02:46 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
I really enjoyed it. Just one part, at the end, bothers me. I can't say because its a spoiler. I don't know how to use the spoiler alert. Thought it was good, though. Gonna pick it up on DVD when it comes out.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4031221 - 11/03/14 06:27 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Just like bold or italicized text, insert brackets in your text beginning with spoiler and ending with /spoiler - if that makes sense.

Quote my post and you'll see what the text format below looks like:

Click to reveal..
insert text here

#4031225 - 11/03/14 06:38 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

I think the theme music and the female choir voice was a bit out of control for this film- all other very ridiculous plot elements aside, if nothing else I think even removing those would have helped a bit. On some occasions, it might work- for example, Oliver Stone didn't use it during battles in Platoon except on one occasion- to show Sgt. Elias' death in some kind of requiem during his Jesus 'crucifixition'. That was to convey a certain theatre going off into symbolism.

Here, they just use it just because there is a battle going on. Two different effects. That detracts from the cacophony and confusion of battle, and kind of beautifies it a bit. As a result, it makes things abstract and I feel removes the audience from it. Saving Private Ryan doesn't delude itself this way- people point out the documentary style cinematography as the high watermark of war films, but it's also the sound editing that works so well- without violins and choir voices laid over it, the sound combines with the visuals. Then you can have theme music during the breaks from fighting later.

#4031243 - 11/03/14 07:06 PM Re: Anyone see Fury yet? [Re: theKhan]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I'll rent "Fury" from Netflix so I can judge for myself but it seems like "Fury" is pretty much a conventional Hollywood war movie complete with all of the necessary cliches.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.