Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3988351 - 07/30/14 03:35 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: toonces]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: toonces
Well, some parts are, but a little common sense and you'll be just fine.

Edit: and one more thing I thought of...I don't want to turn this into a Toonces local thread. The tourist spots are tourist spots for a reason. There are things to see and do there. To put it into perspective, I'm taking 3 days/2 nights to stay at the Hale Koa in downtown Waikiki, and spending the $300+ even though it's only about 10 miles from my house. I'm doing this because even though I live nearby, I don't get to see all of the tourist stuff you'd see if you were just staying there. So even though I live here, I want to "be a tourist" for a weekend and get the experience. Waikiki isn't easy to get into, it's expensive to park there, and the traffic makes it enough of a hassle that I probably have less than 6 full days on the beach there.

My point is, don't knock the tourist stuff just because it's tourist. Sure, I don't encourage you to spend 12 days in Waikiki (which you're not), but on the same note, it warrants a day trip, just to see what the big deal is.

If I was going to do 12 days in Hawaii, just going off the top of my head, my advice might be:

Day 1: Arrive Oahu; chill at beach in evening.
Day 2: Waikiki day.
Day 3: Leave a.m. to Hilo. See downtown Hilo, chill at the beach.
Day 4: Drive to the top of Kilauea, see the volcano, do a hike up there. Possibly do the driving tour down the south coast and back to Hilo (could be two days depending on how vigorously you like to hike).
Day 5: Drive the east side and see the waterfalls.
Day 6: Leave a.m. to Maui. Chill in Kaanapali at beach.
Day 7: Haleakala bike trip.
Day 8: Road to Hana trip.
Day 9: Beach day.
Day 10: Tourist day in Lahaina. Leave p.m. to Honolulu.
Day 11: Arizona memorial/WW2 stuff in Pearl Harbor. Drive up windward side to North Shore and check out surf if there are waves.
Day 12: Waikiki day; leave p.m. for home.

I think Toonces is right on. In my several trips to Maui (and my one trip to Oahu and Kaui), I haven't seen anything that indicates problems with drugs or people cutting brake lines. At least no worse than anywhere else I've been in the US.

The only thing I'd change in Toonce's itinerary above, is leave a free day toward the end of my trips to both Maui and the Big Island to just relax or check something out that I discovered in the previous days but didn't initially plan on doing. But that is more of a personal preference thing. I like to leave plenty of time in my vacations where I don't have things planned, but that is just me.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3988443 - 07/30/14 06:30 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
Archangel Offline
Archangel  Offline

Canada, eh!
First, I genuinely appreciate the replies and insight, especially the detail and feedback from Toonces. smile

Don't take this as unappreciative, but chatting with Mrs. Archangel and a couple of friends I'm actually leaning towards going to Oahu at all. Is there something we're really missing out on in your opinion if we don't? If we did go I'd want to check out Pearl Harbor but I don't want to see it badly enough to make the trip. Am I making a real mistake?

We're probably going to spend a week-ish in Maui followed by a few days on the big island. Mrs. Slidebite really wants to go to Mt. Kilauea as do I. I'd love to check and see if they allow visitors or tours of the Keck/CFH telescope area.

Tentatively looking at the Kaanapali area of Maui but not 100% yet, not sure at all about the area of big island nor how much time.

Maybe the Hilo area?

#3988452 - 07/30/14 06:59 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: toonces]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: toonces
Guys, what's with all the horror stories?

I live here and I have never heard of somebodies brake line or fuel like being cut. I'm sure Google would prove it's happened, but you all make it sound like it's the wild west out here, and it's not.

I have known 5 people who went there in the past year and 4 of them ran into issues with locals sabotaging their rental cars. One of the dealers even told one couple that they dont even bother replacing certain parts on the cars anymore. They just jury rig them to work until the next time someone sabotages them.

4/5... 80% of the people I know had their rental cars tampered. I hear you when you say you have never heard of it before but it is there and it is common. I dont know if it is a new thing or not because before this past year I have not heard of anyone having problems but there is a problem now.

Not trying to worry anyone or spread malicious rumors... just saying be careful.

Here is a picture someone posted on a different forum I frequent about his kid's trip only a few months ago (2-3 I think?).

Not only is the fuel line cut but it was a temporary fix that was cut. That means line has been cut at least twice recently and they probably didnt bother replacing it with a legitimate part. They probably just reclamped it with a new temp fuel line.

Last edited by Master; 07/30/14 07:01 PM.
#3988455 - 07/30/14 07:05 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I bet you anything that Miami has a lot more crime than anywhere in Hawaii.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3988526 - 07/30/14 08:42 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Well, when he posts that he is going on vacation to Miami ill be sure to warn him about the crime there too smile

#3988603 - 07/30/14 11:46 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
I went last summer to visit my mom who lives near Hilo on the Big Island, and my sister who lives in Lahaina, on Maui.

On Maui it's gonna be tough getting away from the "tourist traps", as there's really only one main road that connects the whole island. I got lucky because I had my own "guides", so we went off the beaten path and saw some really nice places. First we went to west entrance to the Iao Valley, which is a really neat (and pretty easy) hike thru deep canyons.
Then we drove to the south-eastern tip on Maui and drove up to Haleakela Nation Park and saw some amazing sights at the summit. There's plenty of short (and long) trails around the crater rim, but unfortunately it was pretty nasty weather when we got there.

On the Big Island, we mostly drove, but went to the observatory on Mauna Kea, then went to the Kilauea Iki Crater in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park; which was another easy hike thru an old lava lake. Lastly we went to the west/north west side of the island north of Kona to Haupuna Beach; which was very relaxing and chill as most tourists don't hang out there.

I'd avoid Hilo...it's a #%&*$# show with TONS of traffic and pure chaos. The sooner you get out of there the better IMO.

Here's most of the pictures I took while there (sorry I haven't taken the time to label them): https://www.facebook.com/blaine.tipton/m...8841&type=3

#3989804 - 08/02/14 06:52 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: Archangel
First, I genuinely appreciate the replies and insight, especially the detail and feedback from Toonces. smile

Don't take this as unappreciative, but chatting with Mrs. Archangel and a couple of friends I'm actually leaning towards going to Oahu at all. Is there something we're really missing out on in your opinion if we don't? If we did go I'd want to check out Pearl Harbor but I don't want to see it badly enough to make the trip. Am I making a real mistake?

Ok, so I talked to my wife about this last night and we both feel about the same way. I don't think Oahu has the "wow" factor that Maui and the Big Island have. However, I still think Oahu is worth a day or two. Waikiki is sort of an iconic spot. Most people that go to Hawaii stay or go through Waikiki. When you talk about your trip later people will ask you about Waikiki...if you haven't seen it I think you miss some of the whole experience. It's not that the beach is all that amazing. I went down there last night for dinner and to see Jack Johnson in concert, and the place is a zoo. But still...it's Waikiki!

Also, if you come in October the North Shore might be getting some surf. It's a little early, but possible. The North Shore is neat to see, even if only to contrast to the mess of downtown Honolulu. And if there's a good swell, it really is neat to watch.

Pearl Harbor/Arizona Memorial is cool, but I'm not sure missing it is a show-stopper. The Arizona tour only takes about an hour. It's very moving to see the ship still down there, and the whole area there is a museum with neat stuff to see. The Missouri is also down there and is pretty cool. You can spend most of a day doing the whole Arizona area. If you miss it, I don't know that you'll be regretting it your whole life, but it's something worth considering.

Ultimately, I think you should at least book a day in Oahu, even if it's just to chill at Waikiki. Frankly, Maui isn't that big. There is a lot to see, but at the end of the day it's not a big island and a lot of it is just fields and mountains. I don't know how many days is too many unless your plan is to chill by the pool with a drink.

Originally Posted By: Archangel

Maybe the Hilo area?

When we stayed on the Big Island we actually stayed on the volcano at a military camp. I think there is a civilian equivalent there as well. That's a good call if you're going to focus on the volcano stuff, but not if you want to do the beach. We went into Hilo and explored that side for our day trips. It seemed nice enough. I didn't like the beaches as much as Oahu or Maui though. Also, like I said, Hilo rains a lot. I think Kona side is drier...there are more resorts out that way I think, probably for that reason. Hilo is one of the wettest places on Earth.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#3989847 - 08/02/14 09:12 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
Major Dragon Offline
Major Dragon  Offline

I've been to Hawaii with my wife three times and we always spend 4-5 nights on Maui at the Sheraton Kaanapali Beach. Great beach, walking distance to restaurants and and easy to get around. We've driven to Hana, done the top of the volcano, but mostly hang at the beach. I scuba dive and snorkel a lot, while she drinks. Perfect!

We then fly to Kauai for 3-4 days and stay at Hanalei Bay on the North Shore. It is our favorite spot. More great beaches, less crowded, the Napali Coast, horseback riding, and of course more diving and drinking.

I suggest stopping at Safeway and getting groceries for your room. Especially liquor and breakfast and sandwich stuff. If you eat out for every meal you'll quickly break the bank.

Finally, get a Safeway card at the store, it will save you a lot. I loan mine out to people when they go and they are always thankful.

And, personally, I have avoided Oahu and Pearl Harbor. I'm a big WWII history buff, but not willing to blow a day on that.

Honestly, my last trip I did all the booking, shopped for the best deal and in the end to my surprise saved the most by booking everything, hotels (which I selected) flights and cars through American Airlines vacations.

Aloha!

#3991480 - 08/06/14 03:12 AM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
We spent two weeks on the Big Island and we enjoyed Hilo as well. About 5 years ago. We rented a car in Hilo and stayed in a B&B in the higher elevation of Hilo the first night. The we headed south and later that night stayed at Volcano National park. We also later stayed on a coffee plantation on the Kona side of the island which was also a B&B. We toured the entire island of the span of two weeks.

private message me and I'll tell you more about our trip and give you some tips. So glad we went to the Big Island it has so much more to offer then the much smaller islands and often is a lot cheaper.

On the Big Island you could fit all the other islands. It's over 4,000 sq miles

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#3991724 - 08/06/14 03:21 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
TDHenderson Offline
TDHenderson  Offline

Omaha
If you do spend time on Oahu, I recommend the north shore and Turtle Bay. Even if you don't stay there its a great place for lunch, drinks, beach, and just lounging.

http://www.turtlebayresort.com/

Trevor

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.