Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3649465 - 09/23/12 04:15 PM X-Plane X Airport Buildings???  
TGFan Offline
TGFan  Offline

Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to the X-Plane community so this is my first post / question for this sim. I've got a super sweet rig that I play on, and have airport detail set to max detail. However, when I enter the flight, all I can see is the runways themselves, ZERO buildings, jetways, hangars, etc. Does anyone know what might be going on? I've tried small and large airports and have the same result each time.

Thanks for any suggestions. The sim is a joy but this little problem is dampening the experience.

Mark

Intel Core i7 2700k Processor / Asus P8Z68 DeluxeGEN3 MB / 16GB Ripsaw DDR RAM / EVGA nVidia GTX680 Vid Card / WD 1TB Hard Disk / Sandisk 240 SSD / Samsung BluRay-DVD Combo / Corsair 850W Power Supply / Cooler Master HAF 932 Adv Case / Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3649567 - 09/23/12 07:45 PM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: TGFan]  
Rich_Price Offline
Rich_Price  Offline

Hi Mark,

That's how X-Plane is unfortunately. Only very few selected airports have any buildings on them, they are few and far between. You have to populate the rest yourself with scenery downloads!!

BR

Rich

#3649644 - 09/23/12 10:41 PM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: TGFan]  
TGFan Offline
TGFan  Offline

Ah man, that sucks. You'd think that a game that comes with EIGHT discs would have airport buildings out of the box. At least I know it's not anything I'm doing wrong. Thx

Intel Core i7 2700k Processor / Asus P8Z68 DeluxeGEN3 MB / 16GB Ripsaw DDR RAM / EVGA nVidia GTX680 Vid Card / WD 1TB Hard Disk / Sandisk 240 SSD / Samsung BluRay-DVD Combo / Corsair 850W Power Supply / Cooler Master HAF 932 Adv Case / Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
#3649683 - 09/24/12 01:11 AM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: TGFan]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Um, wrong. You need to open up your settings menu and then open up rendering options menu. Turn everything up object and roads and traffic, Water and bring your computer to its breaking point. Been an avid X-Plane user since 1999.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3649695 - 09/24/12 01:38 AM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: TGFan]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
BTW, have you run the latest updater ? You get a bunch of Aerosoft European Airports along with it. I test every beta and
it all comes with.

http://www.x-plane.com/downloads/x-plane_10_installer-updater/

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3650114 - 09/24/12 08:13 PM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: JimK]  
Zimmerdylan Offline
Zimmerdylan  Offline

Sonora Desert U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: JimK
Um, wrong. You need to open up your settings menu and then open up rendering options menu. Turn everything up object and roads and traffic, Water and bring your computer to its breaking point. Been an avid X-Plane user since 1999.

Yes but that does not populate the airports. It does populate the cities but airports are left empty. Unfortunately, Xplane 10 is not really all that compatible with the Xplane 9 scenery downloads. Even less of you don't go up and download software called OpensceneryX, available here :http://www.opensceneryx.com/ However...all the scenery there is only Xplane 9 scenery and it is hit or miss on whether it will work.

After a lengthy downlaod, you can use most of the scenery packages on the Xplane download site. But again...Xplane 10 seems to have stepped backward for some reason. The scenery is not nearly as nice as Xplane 9 and you will get loading error messages when you use the user made downloaded scenery. I designed several airports using the Xplane software and it is available for download on the Xplane site. However...it is not as pretty or well detailed as it is in Xplane 9. The shame of it is that Laminar did not make Xplane 10 compatible with the scenery building software or OpensceneryX so I cannot even update my airports that I made.

My advice to you would be to do what all of the die hard Xplane users are doing. Get a copy of 9 and use it until they get 10 running right. Xplane 9 is very nice looking. I am not a fan of Xplane these days as I feel that 10 should have been at least as good as 9. In my opinion...Xplane took a giant leap backward. And for $70 vs the $39 I spent for 9.......they really should have released a better product.

Last edited by Zimmerdylan; 09/24/12 08:13 PM.
#3650271 - 09/25/12 01:31 AM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: TGFan]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
I am a die hard X-plane user who knows many of the add-on makers for X-Plane. Have my annual meeting coming up with them
next month at my place. Been doing it for 8 years now. Having no problem making my X-plane 10 world look better then 9x.
You are at the wrong forums to get good info how to make it work.

Minor samples of my 10x world, have thousands of shots and hundreds of photoreal sceneries from 9x that work fine.

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3650275 - 09/25/12 01:39 AM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: TGFan]  
Grim_Death Offline
Old School
Grim_Death  Offline
Old School

Columbus GA
So, your saying I need to host X-Plane addon devs to a cookout once a year so I can have a good sim?
Also, Instead of just saying "wrong forum", how about a link?

Regno, Regnavi, Sum sine regno, Regnabo
#3650281 - 09/25/12 02:03 AM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: TGFan]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
For some reason the sticky that was here for X-Plane sites was deleted, Well, I know this site prefers FSX so it
was a given it would disappear. Spent hours adding all my links to it. Kinda pisses me off now that FSX is no longer
supported all my work was in vain.

Actually, they were Friends of mine from my beginning into X-plane and helped me out. All the while I helped promote
the work they do. We have mutual friendship now since most of them are competitors in marketing their own products.
But we still all get along. This all goes back as long as I have been a member here, and longer.

Go ahead and ask the mods here where the X-plane sticky went. Won`t waste my time doing it again. Google will show
you all kinds of sources.

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3650296 - 09/25/12 02:30 AM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: JimK]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: JimK
For some reason the sticky that was here for X-Plane sites was deleted, Well, I know this site prefers FSX so it
was a given it would disappear. Spent hours adding all my links to it. Kinda pisses me off now that FSX is no longer
supported all my work was in vain.

There are more than a few of us here who are into X-Plane and FSX as well, I've never caught any anti-X-plane bias here, other than those of us who have high hopes for it and were a big "underwhelmed" by what was in the X-Plane-10 demo after all the hype (default aircraft mixed quality etc). I was one of the ones looking forward to it who loudly shared my disappointment but thankfully kept trying the demo as they released updates and eventually picked it up.

I think as far as buildings on default airports, X-Plane is pretty much like FSX, there are some specific locations with a modeled airport (KSEA) but the rest of the world the airports have no buildings...again this is not much different than FSX and even ORBX payware scenery for Australia before they started doing all the airports with PNW and NZ.

Overall I like Xplane but I think the biggest problem is the lack of high quality scenery add-ons, and even the fact that XP9 scenery often needs updates to work in XP10, hopefully that is an area that will continue to pick up momentum as there's been some great add-ons coming out recently and Aerosoft and PMDG seem to be willing to jump in and test the waters too.

But if you are willing to do some work, there are tools to import OpenStreets data and even convert FSX scenery to X-Plane with great results, this post at AVSIM I found pretty helpful for that type of thing:
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/380817-ms-flight-cancelled-from-an-x-plane-perspective/#entry2430416

SimHQ user @Scoobe has used those to great effect as you can see in the screenshots here:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3519656/Random_Xplane_10_Shots.htm

Overall though while I personally think SimHQ is pretty openminded about X-Plane and many of us have high hopes for it's future and have started getting our feet wet with it, if you want indepth X-Plane info and discussion, a more focused forum is probably something you want to check out in addition to here:
http://forum.avsim.net/forum/335-the-x-plane-general-discussions-forum/
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showforum=28

@JimK if you have the link to the X-Plane previously sticky post, I bet a PM to Guod or a post in the feedback forum would probably square it away, I know I personally would like a sticky for X-Plane info, it probably got pruned with the a bunch of other stickies that used to be here but had no updates in a long time.

Last edited by kludger; 09/25/12 02:52 AM.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3650341 - 09/25/12 04:37 AM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: TGFan]  
Zimmerdylan Offline
Zimmerdylan  Offline

Sonora Desert U.S.A.
My bone of contention lies in this:

It is the next generation Xplane. I understand that it is a complex piece of software. However, there are things that Laminar either didn't want to spend time putting together or they just omitted altogether. Things that worked just fine in Xplane9 so they obviousely have the know how to recreate in 10 just don't work at all or as well.
Scenery is really a huge mystery to me. The scenery as a whole is just not as high quality. And even though the buildings are "3D", they just don't look as good as anything in Xplane9. OpensceneryX and the Overlay editor are not very X10 friendly. And evidenatally, Laminar did not collaborate with OpenscneryX this time around because they have a lot of incompatible things between them now. And when you ask about it, they just say that it's the OpensceneryX developer's fault. Much of the scenery that you get from Xplane's download pages either won't work at all or has issues. I wonder if Laminar didn't go a whole other direction with their scenery software this time around. If they did, as far as I'm concerned it was a leap backward.
Other issues like the ATC problem. It worked fine in Xplane9. It doesn't work in 10 unless you file an IFR. They didn't implement any VFR ATC. It's just so dissapointing.
I think that the worst thing about it is when you go to the forum and ask about it, all you get is attitude from the old timers. And if I had a dime for every die hard Xplaner who also felt the way I do but said....It's a work in progress, I could buy all the payware scenery available. And I know it sounds crass...but I didn't pay $70 for a work in progress. If my company hands a customer a half finished product and tells them "I know we left some things out but we'll fix it all later at our convienience" I'd be out of business after the first customer. And I know it's software and things get fixed over time but Xplane 10 is just substandard to 9. The proof is in the pudding. Look at all of the posters on Xplane's forums saying that they don't even use 10 at all. They use 9 until 10 is good enough to use. It's what they all told me to do. There's something wrong with that picture.
Sorry if you X planers are not happy with my opinion but I'm just telling it like it is. I have this feeling that they'll get it together just in time for Xplane 11 to come out at $100 or so.
So I feel I paid $70 for something that not even the die hard users are really messing with at this point.
Scenery is a trainwreck, many things that were working in 9 and should be in 10 aren't, no improvement to any of the aircraft. Go check out the plane cockpits in DCS P-51 Mustang and then look at a P-51 in Xplane. I would have figured Laminar to be moving in that direction but on their planes...they didn't move at all. Sorry....it's just not finished.
Too bad because I enjoyed Xplane9......................

If you don't like my post or opinion on this, I really am sorry. But I am not alone in this. I have looked over their forums and if you catch it before they delete it. There are plenty of posts that ask the same questions I do and raise the same points I have. Their mods just get rid of them quickly. Mine are all gone........

#3650380 - 09/25/12 07:11 AM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: TGFan]  
Scoobe Offline
Scoobe  Offline

I dont think you have to applogize for expresing your opinion. Thats what these forums are all about. I for one, like to hear what people think about different games\sims. It doesnt change how I like a sim or not, but it is nice to hear where other people stand on different products and what features they like or dont like. Hopefully LR will listen to your opinions.

I had purchased XP9 years ago when it first came out. I wanted to like it, but I just couldnt get into it. I went back to FSX because it was like an old trusted friend. Something I was familliar with. I dabbled in P3d and enjoyed that too. Then when XP10 came out, I tried the demo and didnt like it. It seamed to remind me of XP9 and I thought it seemed way behind FSX with addons. But something was nagging at me like I wasnt giving XP10 a chance, so I bought the full version and some addon planes and slowly I started to enjoy it. My intrest in X-plane grew over time, and with several payware addon planes and scenery I started to really enjoy it. Much more than I ever thought I would. I think after 6+ years with FSX and other MS sims before that, I was ready for something new. I still use and enjoy FSX and P3d, just not as much as XP10. They are all great sims IMO. I also spend a lot of time with DCS and ROF. Also amazing flight sims!

X-Plane 10 may not be everyones cup of tea, but it is mine. With addons and some TLC, it can be a lot of fun and at times, looks and feels amazing. Ive been spending a lot of time converting my FSX scenery to XP10 with some success. Ive seen some payware scenery for XPX that is amazing, there just isn't enough of it yet. XP10 still has a long way to go. More payware developers will need to embrace it for the masses to consider it. If this will ever happen remains to be seen.

I think that having them all is the best way to go, although a bit expensive.

Rob

Intel Core i7-3770K
GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
MSI GTX 960 GTX 4GB
#3650503 - 09/25/12 01:57 PM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: Zimmerdylan]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Try this site. You won`t find mods pulling your posts like at the org.
http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php/page/index.html

Originally Posted By: Zimmerdylan
My bone of contention lies in this:

It is the next generation Xplane. I understand that it is a complex piece of software. However, there are things that Laminar either didn't want to spend time putting together or they just omitted altogether. Things that worked just fine in Xplane9 so they obviousely have the know how to recreate in 10 just don't work at all or as well.
Scenery is really a huge mystery to me. The scenery as a whole is just not as high quality. And even though the buildings are "3D", they just don't look as good as anything in Xplane9. OpensceneryX and the Overlay editor are not very X10 friendly. And evidenatally, Laminar did not collaborate with OpenscneryX this time around because they have a lot of incompatible things between them now. And when you ask about it, they just say that it's the OpensceneryX developer's fault. Much of the scenery that you get from Xplane's download pages either won't work at all or has issues. I wonder if Laminar didn't go a whole other direction with their scenery software this time around. If they did, as far as I'm concerned it was a leap backward.
Other issues like the ATC problem. It worked fine in Xplane9. It doesn't work in 10 unless you file an IFR. They didn't implement any VFR ATC. It's just so dissapointing.
I think that the worst thing about it is when you go to the forum and ask about it, all you get is attitude from the old timers. And if I had a dime for every die hard Xplaner who also felt the way I do but said....It's a work in progress, I could buy all the payware scenery available. And I know it sounds crass...but I didn't pay $70 for a work in progress. If my company hands a customer a half finished product and tells them "I know we left some things out but we'll fix it all later at our convienience" I'd be out of business after the first customer. And I know it's software and things get fixed over time but Xplane 10 is just substandard to 9. The proof is in the pudding. Look at all of the posters on Xplane's forums saying that they don't even use 10 at all. They use 9 until 10 is good enough to use. It's what they all told me to do. There's something wrong with that picture.
Sorry if you X planers are not happy with my opinion but I'm just telling it like it is. I have this feeling that they'll get it together just in time for Xplane 11 to come out at $100 or so.
So I feel I paid $70 for something that not even the die hard users are really messing with at this point.
Scenery is a trainwreck, many things that were working in 9 and should be in 10 aren't, no improvement to any of the aircraft. Go check out the plane cockpits in DCS P-51 Mustang and then look at a P-51 in Xplane. I would have figured Laminar to be moving in that direction but on their planes...they didn't move at all. Sorry....it's just not finished.
Too bad because I enjoyed Xplane9......................

If you don't like my post or opinion on this, I really am sorry. But I am not alone in this. I have looked over their forums and if you catch it before they delete it. There are plenty of posts that ask the same questions I do and raise the same points I have. Their mods just get rid of them quickly. Mine are all gone........

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3650535 - 09/25/12 02:56 PM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: TGFan]  
Zimmerdylan Offline
Zimmerdylan  Offline

Sonora Desert U.S.A.
You see. I think that's the difference between a person who is exclusive with Xplane and the casual user that just pickes it up to check it out or just want's to fly but doesn't know the difference from one to the other.
I enjoy XFS also. But when I started it I wasn't a huge fan. It was just different than Xplane9 (what I actually started on). I do use it still because it is a pretty good simulator and I enjoy having the options open to me. But I also fly the DCS simulators because I love the challenge of the gaming aspect. But DCS is another animal entirely. I find the aircraft incredibly detailed and they feel more like I would think an aircraft should, based on my limited experience as a frequent rider in small planes. And again, they seem to have gone to great lengths to make it a realistic experience from the earth textures to the cockpit. And although you don't have the whole earth at your disposal, you do have very deatialed buildings, and all airports are populated. And the theater you are in is huge. I can fly for 2 hours in the DCS world and not run out of earth, and it does not regenerate the same old scenery. So if they can do this effectively, I know that Xplane with it's random bldgs, and simplistic textures should have the same ability given that it touts that it's the best simulator out there. And the photos supplied by JimK are all payware scenery. So The original poster is asking himself....8 disks, $70, and I have to go pay for more scenery? I completely understand his problem with this. The freeware with this sim is chock full -o- problems. And the freeware aircraft are even worse. The sim won't even boot up with many of them in the files...you get kicked to the desktop. The stock aircraft aren't much better. I have the payware WWII aircraft for Xplane 10. It still doesn't completely work the way it did in 9. And I was told that for 40% off...they would update it to 10.
I guess my probelm is that 10 just doesn't reach the standards of 9 and it runs a pretty penny. When 9 cost me $39, DCS cost me $40 and Xplane 10 (the lesser simulator of the three) ran me $70 and bragged that it was the top of it's game. I honestly believe that Xplane 10 was designed and released for the few who are completely committed to only Xplane, and are more than willing to put out as much money as they ask to bring it up to it's potential specs. The average joe pilot wannabe isn't interested in that and gets frustrated fast with that mentality. It left me very dissapointed.
I will keep Xplane 10 on my system in the hopes that these things will be addressed. I am very skeptical however because I have read the list of fixes and patches. I loved Xplane 9 and really want to like 10 more than I do. But my dissapointment is equaled by my hope that they'll get it fixed.

#3650572 - 09/25/12 04:03 PM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: TGFan]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3650894 - 09/25/12 10:45 PM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: TGFan]  
Zimmerdylan Offline
Zimmerdylan  Offline

Sonora Desert U.S.A.
Hmm...I'll look into these sites. Thanks.

#3653422 - 09/30/12 11:25 AM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: TGFan]  
TGFan Offline
TGFan  Offline

Woah!!!! Seems like I have ignited something similar to the gang fight scene in Anchorman! Thanks for all of the input, it's great stuff. My BIGGEST problem with Xplane X is the laughable default aircraft. Laughable. Most realistic flight sim has aircraft doing 5 rolls per second? And just not as many as I would have hoped for.

I also enjoy many flight sims, but there's just something with XPX that keeps calling my name. I think I'm going to stick with her a little longer and see what I can do. I also think I'm going to pick up a copy of XP9 so I can compare. I originally posted here because the Xplane forum that I signed up for to begin with was just too complicated. Or at least too complicated for me for the amount of time I was willing to spend on it! Haha So I came home :O)

I've realized something, it's nice to have all of the choices in sims that we have today. Just remember not to skimp on those pre-flights.

Mark

#3656234 - 10/04/12 02:45 PM Re: X-Plane X Airport Buildings??? [Re: JimK]  
Zimmerdylan Offline
Zimmerdylan  Offline

Sonora Desert U.S.A.

Hey! Wow. I went to all of these sites. I downloaded some scenery with mixed results. And a few planes. All I can say is friggin wow!!! The B17G that I got is by far the best plane I have ever downloaded. It outclasses any payware AC I have ever purchased and makes the Heinz D. B-17 look like a cartoon (sorry heinz). Amazing. I have yet to even fly it because you literally have to read the manual and learn the checklist before you can even start it. So I have not had a ton of time to do this. This plane is a little intimidating because it has been painstakinly designed to run like the original B-17. Thanks so much for that link.
For anyone who wants this great plane and a few of the other planes it's at xpfr.org. Again.....thanks!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Who will follow the Paris Olympics?
by NoFlyBoy. 07/23/24 09:14 PM
Top 50 cities in the world by population
by PanzerMeyer. 07/21/24 10:28 PM
Had a close call this past Sunday
by NH2112. 07/20/24 03:55 AM
Happy Blue Friday
by DM. 07/19/24 08:30 AM
Bob Newhart was 94
by F4UDash4. 07/18/24 08:29 PM
Yahoo Dynasty football league
by WangoTango. 07/17/24 02:12 PM
The Last of "The Few" Turns 105
by F4UDash4. 07/17/24 11:48 AM
Dear Amazon... What Is The Deal?
by F4UDash4. 07/17/24 02:20 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.