Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3517987 - 02/13/12 10:31 PM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Sir Crashesalot]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
eeewwww , he said Beach Boys ...

Jason Newstead, Dave Ellefson , Flea, Steve Harris, but yeah in general, bass guitarists get minimum love.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3517992 - 02/13/12 10:37 PM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Sir Crashesalot]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
ugh... who's really interested in watching all the gimmicky, no-talent, fabricated "stars" of the music industry these days?

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#3518003 - 02/13/12 10:48 PM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Jinro]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Originally Posted By: Jinro
Lemmy is a good example of an electric guitarist who thinks he can play bass. Which is completely different than a bassist.

LOL! True. But he doesn't care. No one said he's a Virtuoso, he just rocks. The bloke from Level 42 is a better bassist than Lemmy will ever be, but I can't for the life of me even remember his name. Lemmy will live forever. That is all. biggrin

@ Piper, yes....sadly I agree. Sometimes you just have to say 'its time to call it a day', and bow out with some dignity. Unless you're Johnny Rotten of course, in which case you just grow old disgracefully. Some people can get away with it.

I hate the Grammys in general because its just a corporate back slapping industry celebration of revenue streams, though in fairness there has been the odd surprise down the line. Thought it was great when Herbie Hancock won with an album reinterpreting Joni Mitchell songs. To illustrate how crap the Grammys are however, they did not even acknowledge Hendrix, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Joplin and more.

No comment really on the 'Stupid Hoe' song, except to perhaps speculate that it is autobiographical in nature.

While I'm on a roll....Why does Katy Perry even exist? What does she actually do? Nice rack, don't get me wrong lol....but it aint about the baps, its about the music, maaaaan. biggrin

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3518076 - 02/14/12 01:00 AM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Biggles07]  
KublaKhan Offline
KublaKhan  Offline

KY - USA
Originally Posted By: Biggles07
Lemmy is a good example of an electric guitarist who thinks he can play bass. Which is completely different than a bassist.

LOL! True. But he doesn't care. No one said he's a Virtuoso, he just rocks. The bloke from Level 42 is a better bassist than Lemmy will ever be, but I can't for the life of me even remember his name. Lemmy will live forever. That is all. biggrin

@ Piper, yes....sadly I agree. Sometimes you just have to say 'its time to call it a day', and bow out with some dignity. Unless you're Johnny Rotten of course, in which case you just grow old disgracefully. Some people can get away with it.

I hate the Grammys in general because its just a corporate back slapping industry celebration of revenue streams, though in fairness there has been the odd surprise down the line. Thought it was great when Herbie Hancock won with an album reinterpreting Joni Mitchell songs. To illustrate how crap the Grammys are however, they did not even acknowledge Hendrix, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Joplin and more.

No comment really on the 'Stupid Hoe' song, except to perhaps speculate that it is autobiographical in nature.

While I'm on a roll....Why does Katy Perry even exist? What does she actually do? Nice rack, don't get me wrong lol....but it aint about the baps, its about the music, maaaaan. biggrin

Katy Perry could just stand on stage and not do anything, ever.. and I'd be okay with that. biggrin

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." - Sun-Tzu
#3518094 - 02/14/12 01:45 AM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Sir Crashesalot]  
Moses Offline
I have a Rather Large
Moses  Offline
I have a Rather Large

Tulsa, Ok, USA
Skrillex won last night thats a big move there electronic music is the new frontier

Jeff "Moses" Malone
Proud Member of 195th Dambusters Virtual Squadron.
http://561stbms.enjin.com/
#3518099 - 02/14/12 01:51 AM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Jinro]  
Psycho Offline
Psycho  Offline

NY, USA
Quote:
Most of those "instrument" playing musicians are today playing what's known as "Smooth Jazz".

Or Progressive. John Petrucci anybody?

Effin A bubba! Probably very few people knew that Dream Theater was actually nominated for an Emmy in the hard rock/metal category for the their latest album (which blows away anything else nominated in terms of musicianship, just not in popularity). They lost to Foo Fighters :(, although I do have to give props to Dave Grohl for the underhanded dig he threw at the whole electronic/autotune laden crap that dominates popular music these days.

#3518101 - 02/14/12 01:58 AM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Sir Crashesalot]  
Psycho Offline
Psycho  Offline

NY, USA
Originally Posted By: Sir Crashesalot
I've turned into my dad when all I ask is "who the heck is that". All I really wanted to do was watch the Foo Fighters play and see if by some strange reason they would win album of the year. Now I find myself watching it out of morbid curiosity.

Does anyone outside of country music, and the odd rock artist actually play an instrument anymore?

They absolutely do. If you're a fan of guitar do a Youtube search on any of these guys:

John Petrucci/Dream Theater
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Andy Timmons
Steve Morse
Marco Sfogli

They're out there. Just not on the frakkin radio.

#3518106 - 02/14/12 02:09 AM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Jinro]  
Psycho Offline
Psycho  Offline

NY, USA
[quote]these whackos like Lady Gaga who get tons of applause for crap music. (She can sing, I'll admit that, but her music and lyrics blow).

I thought like that too, until I saw a couple her live performances without the poppy dance arrangements. There's a vid out on the tube of her doing "Edge of Glory" on the Howard Stern show. Just her voice and the piano. I'm mostly a progressive rock/metal guy, but the power and emotion in her voice on that performance just blew me away. There also a live video of her doing "You and I" with a much more blues/rock feel than what you hear on her studio version. I'd like to see her come out with a more rock oriented album. Those were her original influences to begin with. Queen in particular.

#3518146 - 02/14/12 03:53 AM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Sir Crashesalot]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
Gaga's certainly a better mucisian and singer than Madonna. I've seen her tickle the ivories too. Her voice is a low alto - tenor with a lot of strength, without relying on the warbling effect so common in today's pop singers. But to be honest, I've heard better wedding singers. That's not meant to be an insult. It's just an observation.

#3518150 - 02/14/12 04:00 AM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Sir Crashesalot]  
Jinro Offline
Jinro  Offline

Quote:
I thought like that too, until I saw a couple her live performances without the poppy dance arrangements. There's a vid out on the tube of her doing "Edge of Glory" on the Howard Stern show. Just her voice and the piano. I'm mostly a progressive rock/metal guy, but the power and emotion in her voice on that performance just blew me away. There also a live video of her doing "You and I" with a much more blues/rock feel than what you hear on her studio version. I'd like to see her come out with a more rock oriented album. Those were her original influences to begin with. Queen in particular.

Well that explains her nonsensical lyrics. I hate artists who's lyrics make no sense; Gaga and the Foo Fighters being two of those artists. I like the Foo's music, but their lyrics are just.......bleh.

#3518582 - 02/14/12 07:01 PM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Sir Crashesalot]  
jaegermeister Offline
jaegermeister  Offline

Walking point
copter
The one that cracked me up most was...The Pope or, as any good Brit would say the "Poop".
And what in the wide wide world of sports did Gaga have on her face? Was that a muscle? I felt as though the guy
had her on a leash.

Ah the humanity. I got quite a few chuckles out of this years Grammies.

Jaeger

#3518622 - 02/14/12 08:18 PM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Sir Crashesalot]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I always find it amusing when I see threads where people are arguing over what kind of music is better or which musicians are artists and which ones are fabrications. It's about as amusing as threads about politics. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3518634 - 02/14/12 08:40 PM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Sir Crashesalot]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
How many of you sci-fi nerds in here saw DJ Dead Mouse (yes that's his name. Actually it's spelled Deadmau5) perform on the Grammy's and show the image of a Cylon on his face during his performance? LOL. I did and my girlfriend was like what the hell is that? I was like that's DJ Dead Mouse with a Cylon on his face, everyone knows that. LOL.

Jason

Last edited by 777 Studios - Jason; 02/14/12 08:43 PM.
#3518644 - 02/14/12 08:53 PM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Sir Crashesalot]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Phoenix from LP

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3518657 - 02/14/12 09:14 PM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Sir Crashesalot]  
Boilerplate* Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Boilerplate*  Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Hotshot

Virginia, USA
Oh. Another one of those threads trashing today's talent - or lack thereof. rolleyes

Haven't watched it in years. Some of the acts you all are describing I wouldn't have the patience to stand for more than 10 maybe 15 seconds tops before channel surfing off to older mindless 70's entertainment - like old Starsky and Hutch reruns or perhaps a "The Song Remains the Same" broadcast for the umpteenth time on VH1.

There's something very different with today's talent or popular culture I simply can't identify with anymore. The Queen Tut workout during the superbowl halftime was enough to for a good hurl. duh

It's a Game. smile
#3518738 - 02/14/12 11:30 PM Re: Watching the Grammy's......Who the heck is that? [Re: Sir Crashesalot]  
jaegermeister Offline
jaegermeister  Offline

Walking point
I would not "bash" any of today's entertainers if they'ld just come-up with
thier own genre AND stick to it.
RE-Chris Brown won R and B? I don't see Chris Brown as R & B. Country has survived, Rock and Roll mostly intact,
Jazz intact, classical intact etc, etc. R and B and Soul ARE being turned upside down.
Thank GOD I have Smooth Jazz which requires "real" musicianship.
Someone asked where are the musicians? I say ask the corporations\entities that promote today's
music and, don't forget that technology allowed alot of today's "style" to catch on.
The one person with a "Rap" background that I see as a musician is Queen Latifah. She's got the blues in her voicE,
and I like that.

As to POP music meh. Don't bother me. Get off my lawn. smile

This is what I am talking about:

Last edited by jaegermeister; 02/14/12 11:45 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.