Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
#3328676 - 06/26/11 04:04 PM Re: Disappointed *** [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Philip_ed Offline
Philip_ed  Offline

Whilst I largely agree with what you're saying, Plainsman, you let yourself down by saying that CloD isn't playable. Obviously for some it isn't, but for others it is, and enjoyably so.
Whilst I don't agree with Frey's approach that one either has to enjoy the sim and advocate, or else just piss-off, I think it is unwise to suggest that people can't get enjoyment from it.

"Our name is Hornet Squadron, no bloody good are we.
We cannot shoot, we can not fight, nor march like infantry.
But when it comes to pay parade, we shout with all our might:
Per Ardua ad Astra, Up yours Jack we're alright!"

Flt Lt Kellaway
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3328679 - 06/26/11 04:10 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Gnasher Offline
Gnasher  Offline

West Sussex UK
19:00 PST is what 03:00 CET where COD is released?

Not surprising that there weren't many people on, even simmers need to sleep! Makes previous comments IMO invalid if the TZ is somewhere the game has not been officially released!

#3328702 - 06/26/11 04:46 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
But why so angry Plainsman, it appears that you might need some support.

Meanwhile I"ll be in my lab trying to figure out what this is

#3328744 - 06/26/11 05:57 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
falstaff Offline
falstaff  Offline

Plainsman has hit the nail fairly and squarely on the head.

That is because he has pin-pointed, without malice, the state of the game, and his (and many others) reaction to it. And accurately.

Ben

#3328746 - 06/26/11 05:58 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Plainsman]  
soaringbird Offline
soaringbird  Offline

Originally Posted By: Plainsman
[quote=Freycinet]

If you are enjoying it for "what it is" then describe what it is! You can't. None of you can, because deep down you know you've been duped. You know it's not a playable sim. You know it's not the sim you were counting on. You know a ton of things don't work as they should. So then, WHAT EXACTLY IS COD?

Curious what kind of explanation you would expect. For me it's just the best out there for the moment. If more precisely – most realistic graphics and visuals and very decent flight model. Altogether it makes it most immersive flight game I have ever played. I would instantly abandon it if find anything better. I know it has a few imperfections and some people seems like to catch flea there but what a game has no bugs.
I know it's lacking in some areas like ground physics but I nevertheless prefer it to RoF for example where you always feel like you are landing on an ice or wet mud probably. Nothing is perfect in games and everything is a fake.
I just like to take off my plane at sunset there and no other game looks so astonishingly beautiful and realistic. That's all and a single reason I like it and it's quite enough for me.

Last edited by soaringbird; 06/26/11 05:59 PM.
#3328747 - 06/26/11 05:59 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Plainsman]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
14 people online? And some bought this thing for the MP? LMAO! EPIC FAIL!

Without outstanding SP, the thing is a coaster.

Still about 12 more than Ghost Recon Classic Edition isn't it Plainsman? smile

LMAO EPIC FAIL!??!!

Nice! You compare a game that was just JUST RELEASED to one that was released 12 years ago? LMAO!!! Pathetic effort, Fearless. Absolutely pathetic. Thousands were playing GR Classic when it had only been out a few months. LMAO!!! Brand new, shiny new, as another poster put it, and it can't draw a crowd. EPIC FAIL!

You are correct, sir. It is CLOD not COD. Clod as in Clumsy piece of coaster-ware. Cliffs of Dover has crashed and burned. The so-called greatest multi-player sim of all time has no one online. Why some refuse to move on from the first of the five stages of grief -aka "denial"- is almost heartbreaking. I do have some empathy, you know. sigh

Hi Plainsman,

It was stupid of me to reply like I did. I own or have played all of the games in your sig, and they're all great - apologies.

As for COD, it isn't like a first born son or like owning a car - like others have commented, there are good and bad parts and I quite enjoy the good parts - this is not serious stuff to dwell on.

#3328748 - 06/26/11 06:00 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
falstaff Offline
falstaff  Offline

Freycinet said:

Quote:
Sounds like the classical stages of going through a divorce or losing a loved one. This is a flight sim!

Yes. You currently have 11824 posts, as I type this.

Pardon?

Quote:
But of course this kind of behaviour pattern explains the sulphurous rage some people are showing towards CoD. Just too bad they feel like taking it out on the rest of the world who enjoy the sim for what it is, hope it will get better, and actually just want to discuss how to get there.

If only that were true. Your posts indicate many qualities. Aloof objectivity is rarely among them smile

Passionate devotion to a cause? Even if it is touch-and-go? (Mainly go at the moment)

Ben

#3328953 - 06/26/11 10:22 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Freycinet]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Freycinet

LMAO EPIC FAIL!??!!

Nice! You compare a game that was just JUST RELEASED to one that was released 12 years ago? LMAO!!! Pathetic effort, Fearless. Absolutely pathetic. Thousands were playing GR Classic when it had only been out a few months. LMAO!!! Brand new, shiny new, as another poster put it, and it can't draw a crowd. EPIC FAIL!

You are correct, sir. It is CLOD not COD. Clod as in Clumsy piece of coaster-ware. Cliffs of Dover has crashed and burned. The so-called greatest multi-player sim of all time has no one online. Why some refuse to move on from the first of the five stages of grief -aka "denial"- is almost heartbreaking. I do have some empathy, you know. sigh

Man this is funny smile Take that Fearless... attack rolleyes

Eh, Fearless, just as a little side note, I hope you don't think I agreed with Plainsman's crazy outbursts. He is obviously so over-the-top raving that his riposte to you just seemed super-funny. No need to apologize for your humorous copying of his ... hmm... conversation style.

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3329080 - 06/27/11 01:57 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: Freycinet]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

LMAO EPIC FAIL!??!!

Man this is funny smile Take that Fearless... attack rolleyes

Eh, Fearless, just as a little side note, I hope you don't think I agreed with Plainsman's crazy outbursts. He is obviously so over-the-top raving that his riposte to you just seemed super-funny. No need to apologize for your humorous copying of his ... hmm... conversation style.

Actually Frey, for me it is worth apologizing. It doesn't matter to me how other people act, you can't control that, so all I can do is either not act like an ass, or if I do (which happens more often than I'd like) then apologize and move on. It is irrelevant to me what starts it or what others say - it's up to me to control my own actions.

You obviously love the game, but one thing I can never figure out about you (as you are evidently smart and committed, plus your videos are seriously good) is that you seem to want to fight fire with fire. I know this is 'out-of-bounds' of what we should be talking about here, and I honestly don't mean any disrespect, but haven't you ever just considered just letting it drop?

The way I see it we're in a situation where someone will say something extremely negative (as is their right here, and I'm not saying they can't) and you will then tend to want to counter-argue that back with something equally strong or out-there. You seem to feel that some balance of truth can be restored if you see a lie that can then be undone by fighting back. The trouble is that it then just escalates up and nothing gets sorted out. It's sort of like your achilles heel on the subject of CoD, and people know now how to tweak it. They will continue tweaking forever as long as they get a reaction.

If someone comes on here 300 times and posts something you hate then it won't help if you give them 300 retributions, internet forum math just doesn't work that way. The best response you can give is either engage back with something positive (however hard that feels at the time) or just ignore it and work on something that truly supports what you enjoy. If you feel someone is simplistically saying something is bad, you can't help by generalizing equally or trying to change their opinion with the ferocity of your reply.

Anyway, a bit out of line for me to be so target in 'advice' especially as this is off the back of me apologizing for behavior I'm saying not to do smile but I hope the advice is taken in the way it's intended; with respect.

#3329136 - 06/27/11 04:53 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: ATAG_Ohms]  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted By: ohmie
Frey will you just stop with constant hater routine.I really enjoy your vid's but your crusade against any who have a different opinion to you is starting to border on the insane.BKHZ TREE and others have valid concerns which you constantly belittle.Just my 2 cents worth, rant off

The ignore feature will save you the wasted time and brain cramps.

What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
#3329319 - 06/27/11 12:55 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: FearlessFrog]  

CT, USA
Actually Frey, for me it is worth apologizing. It doesn't matter to me how other people act, you can't control that, so all I can do is either not act like an ass, or if I do (which happens more often than I'd like) then apologize and move on. It is irrelevant to me what starts it or what others say - it's up to me to control my own actions.

Dang! A man who believes in self responsibility and actually acts accordingly! I thought that specie was long extinct. wink Good on ya mate, if only more people on this planet shared this point of view...

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case
#3329612 - 06/27/11 07:41 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
RAF74_Raptor Offline
Jurrasic
RAF74_Raptor  Offline
Jurrasic

TN
Very good post frog

Ahh CLOD never in the history of Simming has so much been promised and so little given.

However I want to thank Team Fusion for keeping the Dream Alive.
#3329745 - 06/27/11 09:48 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Hey Frog,

When I've engaged in the discussions it is because I've enjoyed it, so there hasn't been any loss on my part and I've been happy to go on as long as I felt like it. The moment I would be annoyed by taking part in the discussions I'd just quit. I've never been fazed or demoralised or dejected about any of those exchanges, actually to the contrary, I've been having great fun, so there has been no downside about the discussions for me at least. I would have been quite happy to go on, but the powers that be have felt like clamping down on things and that is probably a good thing, because - as I see it - that will mainly dampen the "other side"...

You haven't been around for so long, but the RoF forum was more or less the same as this forum two years ago. An equal amount of unreasonable FlaK came that sim's way and I felt I'd stand up for it, which I did. Now the "other side" has melted away from that forum and I hope the same will be the case in here, when the many bugs of CoD are gradually dealt with.

But you know what? RoF was actually hanging in the balance for a while. And if there had been exclusively withering criticism of it in the forum, with none of the positives ever being mentioned, I think it could very well have gone the way of Whirlybirds over Vietnam, or whatever that chopper sim was called. Who knows if anybody would have made the crucial cash injection in the programming team if the those who [severely disliked] RoF had had the scene to themselves, as they wanted?

There was a clear attempt to bury that sim, by those who [severely disliked] the DRM and the online requirement. They were more than happy to kill the sim to force through their point. Anyway, via PM's I know that my combativeness was appreciated by those who - due to their position - couldn't really get into the rough and tumble.

I am not taking any credit for RoF surviving that rough patch. That credit goes exclusively to Jason and the programming team. But I just felt RoF was being treated in an unfair way, because some people totally out-shouted the ones who tried to enjoy what was there. And I guess my attitude towards what I see as unbalanced criticism is to stand up for what has the potential to be really good. Turning the other cheek doesn't always work in the real world, unfortunately. Most importantly I've had fun discussing, because sometimes the [severe dislikers] have just been too way over the top. Like calling a sim that has received 3 patches in three months "abandonware"... smile

This is my last posting and last read of this thread. See you around Frog... smile (PM sent to you)

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3329756 - 06/27/11 10:01 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Freycinet]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Hey Frog,

When I've engaged in the discussions it is because I've enjoyed it, so there hasn't been any loss on my part and I've been happy to go on as long as I felt like it. The moment I would be annoyed by taking part in the discussions I'd just quit. I've never been fazed or demoralised or dejected about any of those exchanges, actually to the contrary, I've been having great fun, so there has been no downside about the discussions for me at least. I would have been quite happy to go on, but the powers that be have felt like clamping down on things and that is probably a good thing, because - as I see it - that will mainly dampen the "other side"...

You haven't been around for so long, but the RoF forum was more or less the same as this forum two years ago. An equal amount of unreasonable FlaK came that sim's way and I felt I'd stand up for it, which I did. Now the "other side" has melted away from that forum and I hope the same will be the case in here, when the many bugs of CoD are gradually dealt with.

But you know what? RoF was actually hanging in the balance for a while. And if there had been exclusively withering criticism of it in the forum, with none of the positives ever being mentioned, I think it could very well have gone the way of Whirlybirds over Vietnam, or whatever that chopper sim was called. Who knows if anybody would have made the crucial cash injection in the programming team if the those who [severely disliked] RoF had had the scene to themselves, as they wanted?

There was a clear attempt to bury that sim, by those who [severely disliked] the DRM and the online requirement. They were more than happy to kill the sim to force through their point. Anyway, via PM's I know that my combativeness was appreciated by those who - due to their position - couldn't really get into the rough and tumble.

I am not taking any credit for RoF surviving that rough patch. That credit goes exclusively to Jason and the programming team. But I just felt RoF was being treated in an unfair way, because some people totally out-shouted the ones who tried to enjoy what was there. And I guess my attitude towards what I see as unbalanced criticism is to stand up for what has the potential to be really good. Turning the other cheek doesn't always work in the real world, unfortunately. Most importantly I've had fun discussing, because sometimes the [severe dislikers] have just been too way over the top. Like calling a sim that has received 3 patches in three months "abandonware"... smile

This is my last posting and last read of this thread. See you around Frog... smile (PM sent to you)

Fair enough - understood and best wishes.

I wasn't around here for RoF, that's true (if I wanted to do uncoordinated turns at 30 mph I'd buy a Mexican-made car smile ) so I might be missing some context. Thanks for the reply.

#3331209 - 06/29/11 01:22 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
falstaff Offline
falstaff  Offline

And that's the problem.

I dont think anyone here is making a real effort to 'kill' or 'bury' the game. The language is wrong, too emotive. I dont see petitions, I dont see legal actions, I dont see organised protest. Besides, SimHQ wouldn't allow it.

What I see are people telling it according to how they see it, and frustrate din many cases.

I also dont think the parallels between RoF and CLod are all that strong.

Either way, it's clear some lessons should be learned with this game, whether it ultimately succeeds or fails.

Ben

#3331468 - 06/29/11 06:53 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: falstaff]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
if I wanted to do uncoordinated turns at 30 mph I'd buy a Mexican-made car

Hehehe, fair enough Frog....slight exaggeration but its not everyones cup of tea. A lot of people like wobbling around the sky like a Sky-weeble on Horse tranquilisers....It's fun. smile You can actually build up a good head o' steam in a Spad and others in a dive however.....and its far more of a challenge than 'C.hasm O.f D.isappointment.

By the same token though, if I wanted the ability to incorporeally fly through Oak Tree's a la COD, I'd practice the art of Astral Projection. *Assumes lotus position* Auuuum. biggrin

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3331471 - 06/29/11 06:56 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Biggles07]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: Biggles07
if I wanted to do uncoordinated turns at 30 mph I'd buy a Mexican-made car

Hehehe, fair enough Frog....slight exaggeration but its not everyones cup of tea. A lot of people like wobbling around the sky like a Sky-weeble on Horse tranquilisers....It's fun. smile You can actually build up a good head o' steam in a Spad and others in a dive however.....and its far more of a challenge than 'C.hasm O.f D.isappointment.

By the same token though, if I wanted the ability to incorporeally fly through Oak Tree's a la COD, I'd practice the art of Astral Projection. *Assumes lotus position* Auuuum. biggrin

Oh, I had the joke lined up irrespective of the sim Biggles, it was too tempting smile

(Don't tell anyone, but I do like a bit of RoF now and again - I can see the appeal, and they've done a great job).

#3331478 - 06/29/11 07:00 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: falstaff]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted By: falstaff
And that's the problem.

I dont think anyone here is making a real effort to 'kill' or 'bury' the game. The language is wrong, too emotive. I dont see petitions, I dont see legal actions, I dont see organised protest. Besides, SimHQ wouldn't allow it.

What I see are people telling it according to how they see it, and frustrate din many cases.

I also dont think the parallels between RoF and CLod are all that strong.
Either way, it's clear some lessons should be learned with this game, whether it ultimately succeeds or fails.

Ben

Thank you. I agree. Totallly different issues. People trying to draw parallels between COD and ROF are reaching, desperately grasping at straws. There are no parallels. There has been no bad egg laid in recent memory as bad as the egg laid by the initial release of COD. Nothing close. Nothing that parallels this disaster. And the original responsible developers of ROF stayed with the project, instead of pulling a disappearing act. It amazes me the audacity of insisting there is a similarity between COD and ROF initial releases. It's desperation, is all.

I may actually buy COD, but not until bloody perfect as advertised. I bought ROF, but only after ROF:ICE came out.

Last edited by Plainsman; 06/29/11 07:02 PM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#3331509 - 06/29/11 07:33 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
You provide a very strong case until this point: 'I may actually buy COD......'

Yup she's an egg alright, but I"ve spent over 200 hours flight and nap time at the stick to draw this conclusion.

#3331593 - 06/29/11 09:18 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Plainsman]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

Some people like to talk like pioneers, but dont have the ****'* to be one biggrin biggrin biggrin

Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
This is getting bad....
by WangoTango. 07/15/24 08:35 PM
The only F-15E credited with an air-to-air kill
by CyBerkut. 07/13/24 04:25 PM
Actress Shelley Duvall dies at 75
by NoFlyBoy. 07/11/24 06:02 PM
Joe Engle was 91
by F4UDash4. 07/11/24 09:55 AM
BeamNG
by wormfood. 07/06/24 03:06 AM
And another thing to worry about
by oldgrognard. 07/05/24 06:48 PM
Happy Independence Day
by F4UDash4. 07/04/24 11:05 AM
New IL-2 Korean War sim coming?
by LB4LB. 07/03/24 09:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.