Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
#3320027 - 06/16/11 11:45 AM Re: Disappointed *** [Re: Bokononist]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bokononist
This is a simple question, what is wrong with the ground handling?
Ok maybe its two questions, what is wrong with it and what are you comparing it to, ROF? IL2? Real life experience?
I am interested as I have come back to flight sims with Clod after many years, and I have no basis for comparison myself.

I am going to post a reply I made on this thread.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3270186/1.html

The IL-2 series has always had poor ground handling dynamics. In a taildragger the centre of gravity is behind the main wheels, this makes the tail of the aircraft want to be the front of the aircraft, which is a very bad thing. A ground loop is what happens when the pilot isn't quick enough on the rudder pedals to keep the tail from swinging round while on the ground. Here are some clips of a ground loop. Rise of Flight models ground handling and ground loops far more realistically than CoD. Actually that isn't true, because CoD doesn't model them at all.

A Texan, similar vintage to the kites you are flying in CoD

LOL how many of us have done this to a Camel in RoF

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3320038 - 06/16/11 12:01 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
Georgio Offline
Georgio  Offline

Hockley, UK
I think we have more chance of seeing flying pigs appearing in this sim than that...

Originally Posted By: Snapper
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
CoD is such a mismatch of the brilliant, crap and broken. It has great immersion one minute then stupidity the next... it has fantastic ideas and goals that are wrapped in mediocre presentation.

I want to so much play it all the time but then i find myself quiting the sim after 10 mins play. I just checked online, 12 servers- 7 were empty and the other 5 had just 22 players between them.

Well put.

Here's hoping that for the US launch there's a huge ROF 1.019-ish patch that fixes the broken bits AND dumps in an RAF and Luftwaffe campaign(s).

#3320040 - 06/16/11 12:01 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Frankyboy Offline
Frankyboy  Offline

hey, my landings in a Camel in RoF, are always a "smash" on the ground after some 'circles' biggrin instant stand still wink

but its nice to see how the Pilot there is slipping in....something i always do with the other planes wink
and something of my favorites in real flightlessons in a Cessna 152 - i always smiled doing that smile

Last edited by Frankyboy; 06/16/11 12:03 PM.

JG53*Frankyboy
Flugzeugführer 8./JG53 "Pik As"
HQ_III./JG53
#3320047 - 06/16/11 12:08 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Georgio]  
Frankyboy Offline
Frankyboy  Offline

Originally Posted By: Georgio
I think we have more chance of seeing flying pigs appearing in this sim than that...

CoD is such a mismatch of the brilliant, crap and broken. It has great immersion one minute then stupidity the next... it has fantastic ideas and goals that are wrapped in mediocre presentation.

I want to so much play it all the time but then i find myself quiting the sim after 10 mins play. I just checked online, 12 servers- 7 were empty and the other 5 had just 22 players between them.

Well put.

Here's hoping that for the US launch there's a huge ROF 1.019-ish patch that fixes the broken bits AND dumps in an RAF and Luftwaffe campaign(s).

your only chance might be this Desastersoft AdOn campaign
http://desastersoft.com/de/1/0/0/0/0/0/news.html

these guys are realy behind this peace of ..... called CoD FMB wink

If you want try their Demo, your game has to be set (via Steam) to german language - just as advice.

JG53*Frankyboy
Flugzeugführer 8./JG53 "Pik As"
HQ_III./JG53
#3320063 - 06/16/11 12:37 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: 2005AD]  
Bokononist Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver
Bokononist  Offline

Liverpool, UK (Cornish exile)
Originally Posted By: 2005AD
This is a simple question, what is wrong with the ground handling?
Ok maybe its two questions, what is wrong with it and what are you comparing it to, ROF? IL2? Real life experience?
I am interested as I have come back to flight sims with Clod after many years, and I have no basis for comparison myself.

I am going to post a reply I made on this thread.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3270186/1.html

The IL-2 series has always had poor ground handling dynamics. In a taildragger the centre of gravity is behind the main wheels, this makes the tail of the aircraft want to be the front of the aircraft, which is a very bad thing. A ground loop is what happens when the pilot isn't quick enough on the rudder pedals to keep the tail from swinging round while on the ground. Here are some clips of a ground loop. Rise of Flight models ground handling and ground loops far more realistically than CoD. Actually that isn't true, because CoD doesn't model them at all.

A Texan, similar vintage to the kites you are flying in CoD

LOL how many of us have done this to a Camel in RoF

Thanks for the info, you are probably right in that the ground handling is a little oversimplified in CLOD, on the other hand the plane in your video maybe a similar vintage to the spits hurris and 109s, yet in design far closer to the planes in ROF, would you not agree?
Regardless of which, we've been informed that the FM will be improved with tomorrows patch along with a lot of other issues. Fingers crossed we will have some more positive threads after that. Heres hoping.........

Last edited by Bokononist; 06/16/11 12:39 PM.

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3320081 - 06/16/11 01:00 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Georgio]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Georgio

Well put.

Well, I wouldn't bet my paycheque on it!

Massive fix-all patch? Two weeks, be sure. LOL

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3320086 - 06/16/11 01:06 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Bokononist]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

Thanks for the info, you are probably right in that the ground handling is a little oversimplified in CLOD

It is not a "little oversimplified", it is totally wrong. Sorry, but to claim the ground handling is oversimplified in CoD is similar to claiming the same thing about the car physics in Mario Kart.

on the other hand the plane in your video maybe a similar vintage to the spits hurris and 109s, yet in design far closer to the planes in ROF, would you not agree?

No, I wouldn't and to be honest you would be hard pressed finding someone who thinks the T-6 Texan was closer to a WWI aircraft in design than it is to a Spitfire, Me109 or Hurricane. Even despite this fact, a taildragger is a taildragger is a taildragger and they ALL have a tendancy to ground loop due to the reason I pointed out about centre of gravity being behind the main wheels. As Scotty was fond of pointing out in Star Trek, "Ya cannae change the laws of physics", unless you are in CoD then anything goes I suppose.

Regardless of which, we've been informed that the FM will be improved with tomorrows patch along with a lot of other issues. Fingers crossed we will have some more positive threads after that. Heres hoping.........

I agree, we will see how it pans out after the patch is released. The previous patches were the devs panicking to get some semblance of decent performance out of the game. Hopefully future patches will begin to address the other serious FM issues and lack of meaningfull and broken content.

#3320103 - 06/16/11 01:46 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Chivas]  
RAF74_Raptor Offline
Jurrasic
RAF74_Raptor  Offline
Jurrasic

TN
Originally Posted By: Chivas
Yes, COD was released before it was finished, and we have a right to be pissed. As it stands we can support COD and give it a chance to expand far beyond anything we've seen with the original IL-2 series or let it die. Which would we prefer?

+1

Ahh CLOD never in the history of Simming has so much been promised and so little given.

However I want to thank Team Fusion for keeping the Dream Alive.
#3320106 - 06/16/11 01:54 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: 2005AD]  
Bokononist Offline
Bokononist  Offline

No, I wouldn't and to be honest you would be hard pressed finding someone who thinks the T-6 Texan was closer to a WWI aircraft in design than it is to a Spitfire, Me109 or Hurricane. Even despite this fact, a taildragger is a taildragger is a taildragger and they ALL have a tendancy to ground loop due to the reason I pointed out about centre of gravity being behind the main wheels. As Scotty was fond of pointing out in Star Trek, "Ya cannae change the laws of physics", unless you are in CoD then anything goes I suppose.

It was the 'physics' aspect of the design to which I was referring. The wheels on the biplane in that video are in front of the wing, much further forward than the 3 planes I refered to in my post, the Spitfire, Me109 and Hurricane, which have the main wheels directly under the wings. Therefore the distance between the 'pivot point'(the wheels) and the centre of gravity is shorter, making the tendency of the aircraft in question to groundloop less. Your other points I do not dispute. Mariocart though! Come on its not that bad.....

Last edited by Bokononist; 06/16/11 02:06 PM.

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3320109 - 06/16/11 01:59 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: RAF74_Raptor]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

Originally Posted By: Chivas
Yes, COD was released before it was finished, and we have a right to be pissed. As it stands we can support COD and give it a chance to expand far beyond anything we've seen with the original IL-2 series or let it die. Which would we prefer?

Agreed, the problem is that a lot of the apologists here would have us believe CoD is already a great sim. There are also those who would have us believe CoD is beyond redemption and has nothing going for it.

#3320114 - 06/16/11 02:07 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Frankyboy]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Thanks for posting that link, Frankyboy. It looks like those German guys at Desastersoft are really on it. Wish I could read German - this would be a good time to try Babelfish to translate it, I suppose. I'm not going to muck about with Steam to try it, but it gives us hope that other similar efforts are underway with FMB.

It'll be interesting to see if there is indeed another beta patch released tomorrow and, if so, what it actually addresses vs the June 3rd announcement of it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3320115 - 06/16/11 02:07 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Bokononist]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

It was the 'physics' aspect of the design to which I was referring. The wheels on the biplane in that video are in front of the wing, much further forward than the 3 planes I refered to in my post, the Spitfire, Me109 and Hurricane, which have the main wheels directly under the wings. Therefore the distance between the 'pivot point'(the wheels) and the centre of gravity is shorter, making the tendency of the aircraft in question to groundloop less. Your other points I do not dispute Mariocart though! Come on its not that bad.....

The salient point being made is that CoD does not model ground loops at all, not that one type of aircraft would groundloop easier than another. Regarding the Mario kart anology, it was used to dispute your point that the ground handling physics in CoD are only "a little oversimplified". They are not only "a little oversimplified", they are practically non-existant.

#3320146 - 06/16/11 02:48 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: 2005AD]  
Bokononist Offline
Bokononist  Offline

It was the 'physics' aspect of the design to which I was referring. The wheels on the biplane in that video are in front of the wing, much further forward than the 3 planes I refered to in my post, the Spitfire, Me109 and Hurricane, which have the main wheels directly under the wings. Therefore the distance between the 'pivot point'(the wheels) and the centre of gravity is shorter, making the tendency of the aircraft in question to groundloop less. Your other points I do not dispute Mariocart though! Come on its not that bad.....

The salient point being made is that CoD does not model ground loops at all, not that one type of aircraft would groundloop easier than another. Regarding the Mario kart anology, it was used to dispute your point that the ground handling physics in CoD are only "a little oversimplified. They are not only "a little oversimplified", they are practically non-existant.
Agreed. When I start snaking around airfields after tomorrow I'll know who to blame. ahoy

#3320204 - 06/16/11 03:54 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: 2005AD]  
Ghost_swe Offline
Ghost_swe  Offline

sweden
Originally Posted By: Juergen
Originally Posted By: Ghost_swe

Not saying RoF (differant issues but still issues) was in a worse state but saying it was better at release is stretching it so far its getting painful.

I don´t have a clue, what your priorities are, if you take off with a new flight sim. Mine are:

1: it is running at playable FPS - no immersion killing stutterings etc.

2: Flightmodel is good, better very good, so you get the real feeling of being airborn.

Everything else could come later. I would fly around with my ME109, enjoy traffic patterns, low altitude flying and aerobatics.
Exactly this was possible with RoF, with all 4 included planes. It got me hooked, so i waited patiently for everything else developing.

And CoD ? Take Offs and Landings are a bad joke - no ground modelling at all. And how many can fly without stutters in the meantime ?
I still hope though, CoD will one day in the state RoF was at release !

I keep hearing how RoF was a bad as CoD on release, funny how it is always from the apologists like Ghost_Swe. They seem to neglect that most of us bought RoF on release and didn't have any serious issues running the game. I have always said that RoF had great fundamentals right from the first moment I installed it. CoD feels good once you are in the air but before you get there you have to endure probably the worst ground handling that any sim has ever had, well apart from IL2. You than have to endure the same ground handling on landing.

Considering that take-off and landing are a large part of flying that leaves CoD seriously lacking as anything other than a skirmish simulator.

No need to get personal and stomp your feet just because i disagree with u, get over it instead.

As for ground handling (wonder whats next, underwater physics modeling maby? Water does play a large part in BoB, no?) i can live with what ever as long as take off speeds etc is fairly accurate.(to be honest i could live with them not beeing accurate to)

Btw, this: "Considering that take-off and landing are a large part of flying that leaves CoD seriously lacking as anything other than a skirmish simulator"...are u serious? What has one to do with the other? Yes, i know, one has to take of and land, but really?

Never mind, my its me, maby i missed all those countless books on the all important topic of "ground handling of WWII era fighters during BoB and its impact on air warfare" and "Ground handling - why Luftwaffe lost the war"

Last edited by Ghost_swe; 06/16/11 04:16 PM.
#3320261 - 06/16/11 05:07 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Ghost_swe]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ghost_swe
Blah blah blah, some more apologist bullsh1t

See what I mean, the best he can come up with is that ground handling in a so called sim doesn't matter. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so stupid and downright idiotic to believe that ground handling is unimportant in a flight sim.

What next, just remove take-offs and landings altogether, after all, it is the flying that matters. banghead

#3320276 - 06/16/11 05:23 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: 2005AD]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

C'mon, get a grip.

#3320332 - 06/16/11 06:21 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

He can't!
He must use anything.... anything to denigrate this sim, it's his mission.
It doesn't matter that he presents himself in a less than favorable light
by presenting such "very important facts" like the missing ground loop.
That fits seamless with his exaggerations.

This sim has its faults, no denying that, but they've been presented again and again and again -> boooring.
The devs are working to solve the problems, and maybe, just maybe, when the important things are solved, the "oh so, very important"
ground-loop will be implemented.

Instead of trying to pull something down (always the easier part), one should strive to build something,
and be it the good reputation of a sim.

#3320349 - 06/16/11 06:34 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: robtek]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

Originally Posted By: robtek
He can't!
He must use anything.... anything to denigrate this sim, it's his mission.
It doesn't matter that he presents himself in a less than favorable light
by presenting such "very important facts" like the missing ground loop.
That fits seamless with his exaggerations.

This sim has its faults, no denying that, but they've been presented again and again and again -> boooring.
The devs are working to solve the problems, and maybe, just maybe, when the important things are solved, the "oh so, very important"
ground-loop will be implemented.

Instead of trying to pull something down (always the easier part), one should strive to build something,
and be it the good reputation of a sim.

Such utter nonsense, I don't need to denigrate this sim, it does that very well on its own judging by the many poor reviews it has received. Can you also point me to where it was said this sim has a good reputation, becuase like it or not, it doesn't.

#3320359 - 06/16/11 06:40 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Bokononist]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted By: soaringbird
Whatever critics say and score in their reviews it's just a persons opinion. Look at movie critics and how different their opinions might be. When one critic writes about "garish" colors I know he doesn't use a color calibrator and see everything oversaturated because I do and do know what a huge difference it might be over actual colors. When other critic tells the game is boring and have nothing to do beyond flying it may be a point for kids but not for me because the flying is only what I want. Wonder what he would tell about FSX - so boring probably.
What I would find interesting to read in a review is not all those silly scores but rather a kind of interview with a WWII fighter pilot or an aircraft engineer. A kind of independent opinion, not a marketing rubbish for hire some game companies publish for their products.

ps. And yes, I really can't play the old il2 and WoP due to their cockpits look so ugly now.

Interesting point about the WWII veterans, I remember an excellent post on this forum a couple of weeks ago, one of the forum members actually put his 92 yr old Grandfather on CloD, who actually was a WWII Spit pilot. His verdict on taking off, (the OP set the fuel mix etc on his Grandfathers instruction) engaging a 109 in a knife fight, and after running out of ammo, honours even he returned to base, navigating back by memory. On landing the OP asked him what he thought, and he replied that it was exactly as he remembered, when asked about the colours he said 'as long as the other plane has a black cross on the side then I've got something to shoot at' or something very similar.
Interesting opinion from someone who was actually there......
I'll add a link to the OP when I have a bit more time.

Geez, he was 92! How much can he possibly remember? You're going by a 92 year old's ability to recall exactly an experience he had 70 years ago? LOL

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#3320368 - 06/16/11 06:51 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: 2005AD]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

@2005AD

you might try again to read what i've written, but then again your opinion might be graved in stone.
My opinion differs, as i look for the positive things in this sim, much more satisfying imho :-D

Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.