Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
#3318435 - 06/14/11 12:00 PM Re: Disappointed *** [Re: soaringbird]  
Bokononist Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver
Bokononist  Offline

Liverpool, UK (Cornish exile)
Originally Posted By: soaringbird
Whatever critics say and score in their reviews it's just a persons opinion. Look at movie critics and how different their opinions might be. When one critic writes about "garish" colors I know he doesn't use a color calibrator and see everything oversaturated because I do and do know what a huge difference it might be over actual colors. When other critic tells the game is boring and have nothing to do beyond flying it may be a point for kids but not for me because the flying is only what I want. Wonder what he would tell about FSX - so boring probably.
What I would find interesting to read in a review is not all those silly scores but rather a kind of interview with a WWII fighter pilot or an aircraft engineer. A kind of independent opinion, not a marketing rubbish for hire some game companies publish for their products.

ps. And yes, I really can't play the old il2 and WoP due to their cockpits look so ugly now.

Interesting point about the WWII veterans, I remember an excellent post on this forum a couple of weeks ago, one of the forum members actually put his 92 yr old Grandfather on CloD, who actually was a WWII Spit pilot. His verdict on taking off, (the OP set the fuel mix etc on his Grandfathers instruction) engaging a 109 in a knife fight, and after running out of ammo, honours even he returned to base, navigating back by memory. On landing the OP asked him what he thought, and he replied that it was exactly as he remembered, when asked about the colours he said 'as long as the other plane has a black cross on the side then I've got something to shoot at' or something very similar.
Interesting opinion from someone who was actually there......
I'll add a link to the OP when I have a bit more time.

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3318541 - 06/14/11 02:10 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

I missed that one Bokonomist, would be very interrested to see it!

This forum is frankly pretty useless, only populated by people deriving a strange sadistic delight in slagging the sim, so it would be nice to read an actual opinion by someone who isn't just a modern-day whiner, but would have something relevant to say.

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3318556 - 06/14/11 02:28 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Tree]  
Ghost_swe Offline
Ghost_swe  Offline

sweden
Originally Posted By: Tree
Originally Posted By: Ghost_swe
Originally Posted By: Old Dux
To me the worst thing that could of happened with the release of CLOD has happened, it has effectively split the WW11 simmers in 3 places, we have the guys that will only play CLOD because they cannot go back to those awful looking cockpits that il2-1946 have (their words), then we have those who have gone straight back to Il2 1946 because CLOD is so badly broken, then we have others who have just simply stopped flying Il2 and gone to ROF or nothing at all. Squadrons have been split in two or simply disappeared, the great hope for flight simming in which was CLOD as effectively destroyed what took years to build.

You missed out the fourth placing: Those (like me) who play while believing that the sim will see continued development, and the eventual drawing in of the other three which you mention - for all the right reasons. We had all hoped for better after waiting for so long...but it will come.

I really hope that happens Dux, but for those few of us who saw this mess coming it does seem very unlikely to happen.

If one spray and pray your bound to hit something.

You obviously never read any of my detailed observations over at 1C during development.

U had a "detailed" observation about pretty much everything, hence my "if u spray and pray your bound to hit something" (thx for confirming that btw)

"Detailed" observations that changed ever so slightly along the way until, when we got the facts from the horses mouth, u where magically "saying it all along"

Thats not "detailed" observations, thats stabbing in the dark.

So, no, u didnt have a greater understanding/insight of the inner workings of the development process than the rest of us.

U just expected a hell of alot more then most of us.

Last edited by Ghost_swe; 06/14/11 04:05 PM.
#3318562 - 06/14/11 02:32 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Freycinet]  
FieldyHK Offline
FieldyHK  Offline

London
Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Originally Posted By: FieldyHK
Lets be honest in its current form its no fun

Why do you try to impose your opinion? - It is not "Let's" you want to say, it is "I feel it is no fun". Fair enough, however, lots of others enjoy the sim and have a lot of fun with it, me definitely included. I am trying to work out complex engine management for all the planes, trying to make the FMB do what I want and having a hoot with the missions I make. Dogfighting is amazing and a blast. So, really, your "Let's be honest" you can... - well, I for one don't agree.

Each to their own but I feel that it's no good at the moment, a simulator of 1 on 1 dogfights it may be but I'm after a Battle of Britain simulator.

And while am at it what's with the bloody attitude?

#3318569 - 06/14/11 02:38 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: FieldyHK]  
Ghost_swe Offline
Ghost_swe  Offline

sweden
Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Lets be honest in its current form its no fun

Why do you try to impose your opinion? - It is not "Let's" you want to say, it is "I feel it is no fun". Fair enough, however, lots of others enjoy the sim and have a lot of fun with it, me definitely included. I am trying to work out complex engine management for all the planes, trying to make the FMB do what I want and having a hoot with the missions I make. Dogfighting is amazing and a blast. So, really, your "Let's be honest" you can... - well, I for one don't agree.

Each to their own but I feel that it's no good at the moment, a simulator of 1 on 1 dogfights it may be but I'm after a Battle of Britain simulator.

And while am at it what's with the bloody attitude?

No "attitude" as far as i can see but your "Lets be honest in its current form its no fun" kind of implies that it holds true for everyone when it clearly doesnt.

#3318577 - 06/14/11 02:43 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Freycinet]  
Bokononist Offline
Bokononist  Offline

here is the link frey http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ub...tml#Post3299131 . Can't do anything better than that at the moment as I'm on my phone. If you are at your desktop at the moment, why don't you repost it?
It's definitely worth a read.

Last edited by Bokononist; 06/14/11 02:49 PM.

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3318578 - 06/14/11 02:46 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Ghost_swe]  
swampthng Offline
swampthng  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ghost_swe

No "attitude" as far as i can see but your "Lets be honest in its current form its no fun" kind of implies that it holds true for everyone when it clearly doesnt.

Definitely true. No matter how bad a game there's always those that still find it fun. Hell battlecruiser 3000ad actually has fans that think it's the best game ever. Even the spice girls and menudo had fans.

But people speak in generalizations and we know what he meant and rather than argue semantics it's easier to just say that so far the majority feel the game is severely lacking.

CLOD is the daikatana of flight sims in my opinion, long in development, overhyped and under delivered. It will have rabid fans for no other reason than who was involved with it's development, but the game itself is severely lacking and will probably never live up.

#3318635 - 06/14/11 03:37 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

You certainly went on to confirm the generalizations thing...

Fieldy, you entered with an attitude, "let's just be honest", implying that all who disagree with you are not.

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3318639 - 06/14/11 03:44 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: swampthng]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

Who needs a game???
I want a sim!!
The game stuff, like medals, campaigns or careers is not necessary as the only worthy opponent for me is not a silicon-chip.
The missions and online wars are already in the making, so when th online mode is working the servers will be filled rapidly.
The offline missions, i.e. by desastersoft, are good enough for now, until the online mode is patched and the soundbug gone.

#3318645 - 06/14/11 03:50 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Quote:
In my opinion, SimHQ had two choices: review COD and score it about a 40/100 (which they would have because they are honest) or not review it until it's ready. It means I can always trust their reviews as honest.

Plainsman, once more for the record.

WE ARE REVIEWING THE NORTH AMERICAN RELEASE, NOT "WAITING FOR A PATCH."

We did the same for Black Shark, Rise of Flight, and several other games and sims that had staggered global releases.

It's pretty rare that a "foreign" copy is purchased for a review.

We don't give scores in SimHQ reviews for a very good reason - they don't really reflect anything but an arbitrary score.

The best scale is PC Gamer's, but even then you have to remember what it means. RoF based on my recommendations would have gotten a 75% on the PC Gamer scale - great for those who are into the genre, not so much for those outside of it. As it was, it got three "scores:" 25% for non-flight simmers, 65% for flight sim types, and 85% for WWI flight sim geeks.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3318649 - 06/14/11 04:03 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: swampthng]  
soaringbird Offline
soaringbird  Offline

Originally Posted By: swampthng

CLOD is the daikatana of flight sims in my opinion, long in development, overhyped and under delivered. It will have rabid fans for no other reason than who was involved with it's development, but the game itself is severely lacking and will probably never live up.

I had not been involved into the game development at all. I abandoned my flight sim hobby years ago actually and even didn't know they are going to release a new il2. So I had no expectations at all. Then I suddenly found an advertisement and bought both WoP and CloD. Since my first takeoff in 109 early at dawn I forgot about WoP completely. I don't like colors in WoP actually – too processed for my taste - and found CloD's just ok not mentioning all the great sunsets/dawns, lighting and cockpits in CloD.
I found CloD a game I always waited before and amazing even with some stutters occasionally.
So there was quite a shock when I read all that negativity here. I do not write in gaming forums usually but that much of a hate prompted me to say something opposite.

Last edited by soaringbird; 06/14/11 04:25 PM.
#3318653 - 06/14/11 04:12 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: soaringbird]  
Ghost_swe Offline
Ghost_swe  Offline

sweden
Originally Posted By: soaringbird

I had not been involved into the game development at all. I abandoned my flight sim hobby years ago actually and even didn't know they are going to release a new il2. So I had no expectations at all. Then I suddenly found an advertisement and bought both WoP and CloD. Since my first takeoff in 109 early at dawn I forgot about WoP completely. I don't like colors in WoP actually – too processed for my taste - and found CloD's just ok not mentioning all the great sunsets/dawns, lighting and cockpits in CloD.
I found CloD a game I always waited before and amazing even with some stutters occasionally.
So there was quite a shock when I read all that negativity here. I do not write in gaming forum usually but that much of a hate prompted me to say something opposite.

Yes, thats the difference between u and most others here (who are negative), they have had their expectations built up for 4-5 years. Pretty much anything/everything is gonna be a disappointment after as hype like that if they are unable to cope with setbacks and temporary bugs.

Last edited by Ghost_swe; 06/14/11 04:12 PM.
#3318675 - 06/14/11 04:47 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: robtek]  
RocketDog Offline
RocketDog  Offline

Bath, England
Originally Posted By: robtek
Who needs a game???
I want a sim!!
The game stuff, like medals, campaigns or careers is not necessary as the only worthy opponent for me is not a silicon-chip.

I'm not sure about this. I know online gaming is supposed to be on a rising curve, but I suspect that the fraction of flight-sim purchasers venturing online is still quite small. If that is true, then offline stuff like a decent AI or campaigns is still very important.

Beyond gliding distance
#3318681 - 06/14/11 04:58 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Yes, COD was released before it was finished, and we have a right to be pissed. As it stands we can support COD and give it a chance to expand far beyond anything we've seen with the original IL-2 series or let it die. Which would we prefer?

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3318696 - 06/14/11 05:21 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Chivas]  
Senseispcc Offline
Senseispcc  Offline

Belgium but not in Flanders

I must say that "Combat flight sim" 1 to 3 "and "wings of prey' where disapointing, to arcade, but not COD.

My PC; wink
Win7 x64
Asus p6x58d
I7 975 3.75Ghz System & game ssd 120Gb (great for the system and for my games).
12 Gb (6*2Gb) ddr3 1600Mhz memory
Geforce gtx580 1.5Gb two of them SLI
Trackir 5
Logitech G940.
[img]http://s4.postimage.org/nmtrbp44/shot_20110507_143940_849.jpg[/img]

#3318726 - 06/14/11 06:04 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Frankyboy Offline
Frankyboy  Offline

i would say BUGs are there. Some people enjoy the game anyway, others not.

Playable content:
-online with online events/wars or dedicated scripted servers
-offline career/missions
of IL2'46 mostly was done by 3.Party folks ! And i guess it will be in the CoD (and it possible followers) the same.
The people still have to learn how to use the FMB (not easy with its scripting and no official documentation at all) and envent.logs.

i can remember the first IL2 online war, where you had to make the after missionreport manually to the host biggrin
The game improved. CoD will most propably too.

But "gamecontent" , i doubt it will come from 1C , like in the past.
That the new series is limited in its scenarios , we all know for a long time already. Not without reason the 'working title" for a long time was SoW:BoB wink

JG53*Frankyboy
Flugzeugführer 8./JG53 "Pik As"
HQ_III./JG53
#3318733 - 06/14/11 06:11 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Blackdog_kt Offline
Blackdog_kt  Offline

honestly, and i don't mean this to be argumentative, but does this game really deserve in it's current state to be in the top 100 in the first place? In the shape it's in, i don't think it does. As it stands it's a bargain bin title or a value title.

The US release might bump it a little but i think the damage to this game has been done, it's a lemon and most folks will probably stay with 1946. Even if all the bugs in this game are 100% fixed, it's still not much of a game. The campaign is really lackluster and there's tons more planes to choose from in 1946.

Actually, it depends on what you're after. The simplified CEM was a long-standing gripe of mine in IL2, as it considerably imbalanced the match-ups in a non-historical way. After installing CoD i haven't fired up Il2 once, it feels like a toy now. Sure, the CEM in CoD is not 100% correct and neither are the FMs just yet, i do miss the wide selection of different fronts and my 190 from time to time, but i can't go back to the simplified workload and subsequent dumbing-down of tactical considerations it causes during an engagement.

This sentiment can be applied to every other aspect of the sim as well. Sure, there have been a couple of advertised features that got the axe at the last moment before release and people have a right to be annoyed at that.

On the other hand, a great many people were expecting the sun and stars when there was no clear promise made for them. I didn't expect the complete battle of Britain simulated experience, the wealth of IL2's theaters and amount of flyables, the out of the box seamless operation, a dynamic campaign, etc...what i expected was a foundation framework for developing flight sims with cool features in the future, along with a historical setting so that they can have an excuse to go out and put it on sale in order to generate the necessary funds for continued development.

And this i expected because i read what the developers said and paid attention to how they said it. Yes, i got that expectation straight from the weekly Friday updates. So how come it's so different that the interpretation of those who were over-expecting and got disappointed? It's simple and it's called wishful thinking.

Whenever a sort of "funky", ground breaking or never before done feature was asked for, discussed or put forth as an idea, the usual response by the developers was "it's possible". They didn't say if or when it will be in the sim, they only said it can happen. If people transform this in their minds into a "the sim will have transparent water/dynamic campaign/your favorite feature" statement and hold it to the standard of a promise, they only have themselves to blame for getting disappointed.

It was plainly obvious for anyone bothering to read between the lines a little bit what we would get: a complex engine that attempts to do so much it will invariably suffer a host of teething troubles, have to initially use place-holders from the older series to plug a few holes and be a near constant work in progress.

The only faults on the part of 1c/Ubi where:
1) Not being upfront about it a couple of weeks before release and
2) Not selling it as a beta a la DCS A-10. Tell any gamer he's getting a privileged sneak peek or he's being elevated to beta tester status (or any other "inside circle of the initiated") and he will make an effort to provide useful feedback on problems instead of whining, or at least shut up and contain the whining so that others can do it for him.

As for whether it should have been delayed or not, the biggest proponents of "they should have waited until it was ready" are usually the same people who were impatient to get an early copy even at the cost of not running well enough. I knew i would either get an early release of an unfinished sim or a further delayed release of a more complete title and i was fine either way. I'm not disappointed because i got exactly what i expected and it contains the foundation for every single feature i wanted to be implemented in the future.

#3318741 - 06/14/11 06:16 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

I'm beginning to suspect that different people like different things.

#3318762 - 06/14/11 06:42 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Bokononist Offline
Bokononist  Offline

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog

You have the wisdom of Solomon as always Fearless, btw I have been meaning to ask for a while- How does CLOD run on your machine? I ask because you seem to have one of the lowest specced sigs around these parts...... pilot

#3318788 - 06/14/11 07:16 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: Bokononist]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bokononist
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog

You have the wisdom of Solomon as always Fearless, btw I have been meaning to ask for a while- How does CLOD run on your machine? I ask because you seem to have one of the lowest specced sigs around these parts...... pilot

Not too bad, although I've been on the road so much that the only real combat I've seen has been on this forum. Got about 4 kills so far, and a couple of unconfirmed. smile

My Q6600 is overclocked to 4 GHz (a water cooler thing, one of those self-contained units rather than the aquarium stuff) so it still represents a fair bit of CPU umph. The ATI 4890 was always a bit of a beast DX10-wise, so it can throw around the frames about 40 fps over water and 25-30 over land. Ironically COD seems to be aimed at previous gen GPU's like this, and probably doesn't take full advantage of the better cards out there just yet.

I haven't really gone back to London though (it's kind of like Ravenholm for CoD - 'We don't go to London' smile ) since the various patches so feel a bit behind the times to comment on performance.

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.