Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by Master
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter

Oh and as a BTW, video game relative duder says that there was a estimated $800M spent on this game between marketing and development. No wonder that companies are now mostly risk adverse when it comes to AAA titles with that kind of money at stake.

That quoted figure can't be right. The most expensive single Hollywood film to date only had a budget of 275 million!

Its about right. They released that their marketing budget for RDR2 was 250m alone.

GTA V took 200 million and made back 1 billion in a few years just from sales, thats is not including the game shark sales.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4446385 - 10/31/18 07:53 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
I was a big fan of the last Red Dead game and since they aren't mentioning anything about a PC release I went ahead and picked this one up.

Runs well on a regular Xbox One and looks very good for a console game. No stutters or major glitches that I've noticed. Outside of a gunfight I don't have a problem with the controls. Once a large fight starts I find myself wishing for a mouse to aim with.

Oh, and agitated horses that aren't yours are no joke, I've been kicked by a couple of them trying to rob their saddlebags. They're better guards than dogs in that game.

#4446395 - 10/31/18 08:42 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Apparently it's a thing where development costs for crucial titles are sometimes sneakily passed off onto other games, so as to not spook investors.

This is just speculation, but I would not be surprised if one of the purposes of Fallout 76, which was probably relatively cheap to produce given all its recycled content and lack of standard NPCs, was to serve as a cost carrier for far more ambitious upcoming Bethesda titles like Starfield?

#4446446 - 11/01/18 06:57 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I guess I don't see what you mean about the interface Spidey. I personally like the way its set up. For a player like me it helps to slow things down. I like pausing the game to read the compendium and to mostly keep the hud off and instead hold the start button to bring up the map. Speaking of the HUD, they designed it so that you don't have to pause the game and go into a settings menu to tweak it. You can do it on the fly by pressing down on the d-pad and make the same adjustments without having to be jerked out of the game. So far everywhere I look they were more thoughtful with a variety of measures than most games when it comes to access and navigation of menus. I think they were very thoughtful in its design but I can see where it might be less tedious if they could stream line it more somehow.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4446454 - 11/01/18 10:47 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
I’m loving the game so far. It is by far the best-looking game I have ever played!

I like to think of it as the Open Range of western games. That movie is not as guns-blazing as the other westerns, but more on the quiet and introspective side.

Oh, and happy days when I found out that fast travel is still a feature, you just have to unlock it smile

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4446462 - 11/01/18 12:15 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
If the game eventually adds a theme park with highly sophisticated androids then I might be interested in buying it.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4446487 - 11/01/18 03:51 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

That's a good description semmern. I'm really enjoying learning about all the different character studies also and the subtle storytelling to that happens by different means. I'm still amazed at how seamlessly and dynamic missions, even side missions or activities can start all with a smooth cinematic presentation. I just found out last night that you can hold down the X button while cook/crafting and it causes a different animation and allows the process to happen a little faster. Speaking of animations I'm seeing new ones all the time from Arthur reaching over the saddle to grab a shotgun because I happened to try to access it from the other side of the horse, to Arthur naturally ducking when riding under a tree limb, to Arthur having a totally different animation when trying to mount your horse if its substantially higher than you, for example its standing on a higher surface and he swings into the saddle.

I agree with you all its an amazing looking game. Like I mentioned earlier it really does look and feel like a wide open space. They somehow managed to capture volume very well and the lighting is excellent. The mist vapor that blows through a scene is also pretty amazing. I haven't seen anything like that modeled to this degree in a game with regards to weather. I was wondering what other kind of weather patterns we might see. I have seen normal overcast and rain but I started to wonder about storms as the first game had them. I still haven't seen lightning or heard thunder but yesterday I finally had a more blustery rain storm with huge heavy rain clouds blowing through fast which I had not seen yet before. The music is pretty special too and fits nicely and appropriately the mood or spirit behind a particular story mission. I'm glad everyone's enjoying too.

#4446507 - 11/01/18 06:31 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Two other things I noticed yesterday.
1) With a gun in hand if you hit up on the dpad you'll shoot into the air. It scares civilians and most predator animals away.
2)Rainbows in fog and just after a rain storm, I cannot recall ever seeing those in a game before. Though it maybe that I just never noticed it in other games or my memory is shot.

And one thing that irritates me is how quickly animal carcasses on your horse decompose. It's particularly grating when you ride into town with a pristine elk on the horse and a duel breaks out across the street from the butcher's as you ride into town. Causing the butcher to close down the shop and flee the scene for about 6 hours. You'd think a butcher would be a bit less squeamish.

#4446551 - 11/02/18 12:08 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Dayz mod had rainbows so i imagine they came from Arma?

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4446662 - 11/02/18 05:55 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Thanks wormfood for that tip about warning shots. I had heard you could do them but the game hasn't told me how yet. Sometimes the tutorial tips go too quickly and I miss them and then I can't seem to find them again in any of the help menus. I was thinking the same thing too about deterioration rate. It'll start to decompose before you get a chance to even get close to someone who will buy it from you especially if you're in the middle of nowhere. I also wish the day and night cycle was a little slower. Maybe as the game goes on I'll get used to it and see why its the way it is but it feels too fast for me. I recently played through the first game again and it was definitely noticeably slower than this. Not by much but just about right in my opinion. I suppose that's not something they can patch in as it probably is intertwined with too many systems in the game. Though it can get grindy I like how the economy and money making is in cents. It makes it so you have to save up for that special weapon or what have you. I think I've started to free roam too much as I'm getting a little burnt out feeling. I need to focus on the story missions which I have been but I've been trying to figure out ways to earn money such as starting up with bounty hunting. I've kept myself mostly in the center area of the map around Valentine trying to do all those story missions and get familiar with the land. I've now done all of the and the only main mission I have available right now is the Blackwater mission where you have to rescue a gang member. I've been saving that one until I did the others since it will be a pretty cool experience to see Blackwater in this sequel for the first time in contrast to what we are familiar with from the first game. I haven't even been back up in the Grizzlies to explore that area ever since the story releases you from that area.

One of my favorite spots right now is that Citadel Rock and surrounding area. Really open and rocky with a little bit of arid, desert-like brush.

Another thing that's bugging me a bit is that I will load a special type of ammo into a weapon and if subsequently that weapon gets holstered and another pulled out or if some sort of save state happens, it causes that weapon to have regular ammo loaded back in it. I'm finding that annoying however this game, though I'm still not any good at combat yet and not comfortable with it at all, is similar to Witcher 3 in that it seems to encourage you to prepare before a fight however obviously you can't always know when that will happen. That's in part why its annoying me that its unloading my special ammo somehow with the regular stuff.

Framerates are good a majority of the time but sometimes in Valentine with a certain level of NPCs and perhaps a weather type you can see the frames drop a bit. The only trouble that gave me was when I had a melee fight with two O'Driscoll boys. That poorer fps seemed to affect my ability to fight well because of the delay that lag was causing. Speaking of that fight, I like how aggressively the law and Bounty Hunters come searching for you.

#4446696 - 11/02/18 09:20 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
I found some gold bars in the detailed train in the pass. It’s an easy find, and nets you $1000.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4446705 - 11/02/18 10:00 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Ok, who else named one of their horses Stormy?

#4446857 - 11/03/18 08:10 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Who is Stormy? Is it a famous horse? I've named my first horse I bought which is the free Warhorse whose name I must keep to myself. I recently acquired a new horse the other day. A beautiful dappled grey that belonged to the first bounty you go after. I named that one "Dakota" since her owner was hiding out on the Dakota River. I accidentally killed her last night in my first attempt at using a stick of dynamite that I had in my inventory for some reason.(I think its an extra stick from the beginning of the game when the gang jumps that first train) I'm still really enjoying it including the combat however, I am not good at it at all yet and its a bit frustrating. I find myself getting all hanged up and confused on the controls and when a bunch of guys rush you and flank you I'm instantly overwhelmed. I've got a long way to go to get a handle on the combat and getting weapon mastery levels and further knowledge. I do wish the controls were tighter for shooting because I'm having a real hard time with combat. Like Spidey was mentioning no matter how I adjust the settings and can't get anything that feels right. Even with acceleration down or dead zone down it still feels like I'm slinging a cross hairs sluggishly. And I don't like using dead eye right now unless I have to because I'm not at the level that lets you manually target yet. It does it automatically which I hate but that's how the first game handled it too. Its a skill you unlock later. Right now I rely a lot on fanning my pistol which is really neat and for some reason a little more easier to manage and control for me. But man it looks and feels good when you connect and get a direct hit at close range on an enemy using slugs in your coach gun but again my combat skills are continuing to suffer at the moment.

I really like how they do a slow release of tutorials as you play but in some cases, unless I missed it, they don't always tell you at all how to do things. I'm still not sure how to properly brawl. I had a little tutorial tip show up once in the middle of the fight but I could not read it in time. It had something to do with throwing enemies but I don't know how to do it. Can someone tell me? I assume the triangle button is the grapple button by right now enemies break my hold. I finally discovered how to block but I don't think the game ever told me. I'm also not sure how to tackle someone. Sometimes I get lucky but I don't know which button is responsible for that. I also noticed that with the lasso in hand, it appears that if you use the melee attack which I think is the right circle button or hit the right trigger(fire) button when near an enemy Arthur will whack them and or put them on the ground and tie them up. Can someone tell me exactly what controls do what? I'm surprised they don't have it listed like games normally do in the settings panel. I'm wary of going online or Youtube for help because I'm afraid of spoilers. I think this happened to me when the first game came out. I was looking for help on something and people were being rude and filling the place with major spoilers. Maybe there's a safe wiki out for the game already that warns of spoilers ahead of time when reading.

#4446862 - 11/03/18 08:54 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

no spoilers here (unless a news heading contains them)

https://www.polygon.com/red-dead-re...ntroller-controls-standard-fps-alternate

#4446946 - 11/04/18 07:00 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Thanks so much Master.

#4447243 - 11/06/18 05:12 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Has anyone figured out how to store handguns and other sidearms so you don’t have to drop them when you find a better weapon? I am currently tracking down the gunslingers and therefore finding some nice weapons, but I don’t want to drop the ones I currently have.

#4447261 - 11/06/18 06:27 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: semmern]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

Originally Posted by semmern
Has anyone figured out how to store handguns and other sidearms so you don’t have to drop them when you find a better weapon? I am currently tracking down the gunslingers and therefore finding some nice weapons, but I don’t want to drop the ones I currently have.

I think (from casual observation only, so take with a hundredweight of salt), that any weapon dropped (and left behind) is only discarded from your equipped set, but it goes to stash/saddle to be reclaimed later.

#4447282 - 11/06/18 08:23 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Lieste]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by Lieste
Originally Posted by semmern

I think (from casual observation only, so take with a hundredweight of salt), that any weapon dropped (and left behind) is only discarded from your equipped set, but it goes to stash/saddle to be reclaimed later.

Will have to try that and see if it is indeed so. Thanks!

I was exploring the Grizzlies today and came across a white Arabian horse which I tamed. It is the fastest horse in the game, it seems. Small, like an Arabian should be, especially after having used my pre-order bonus war horse for so long, but very fast and agile.

#4447308 - 11/06/18 11:04 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I only just started the original Red Dead Redemption and I think it's quite impressive, so I am really looking forward to RDR2. And to think I mainly got this XBox to play FIFA 19 (which I've barely touched). So far it's been all Forza Horizon 4 and RDR1.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4447350 - 11/07/18 06:37 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Its a great game letterboy1. I played through it a second time prior to RDR2's release to get refreshed on story and it really is beneficial to have that in your mind when going into RDR2. Some of the characters will make references to someone or some event that has bearing in the second game from what I've seen so far.

I've been wanting to go back to the Grizzlies semmern because I never explored it when the game started. I just did what I was being told to do so I never explored it. I'm not quite sure if we were even supposed to because this game likes to introduce concepts very slowly which I like. I read an article that mentioned that if you are feeling confused by something or that you don't think you're doing something as well as you should be able to its likely because its designed that way and its the game's way of telling you to slow down, you're not ready for that yet. When you get to the second camp that's when I began to move around more freely but I never went back up there. I heard about that special horse up there. I don't think I'd want anything to do with it anyways because I was really bit once in the back by a horse and it was a female, white Arabian.

I just now started chapter 3. I'm really antsy to go back up there now and explore but I know I eventually will. Maybe once I've discovered some more winter clothing and new weapons. Then I'll go up there and be Jeremiah Johnson for awhile. Does anyone know if there is a menu that shows how many hours you've played? Many games nowadays have that but I couldn't find that.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.