Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4232102 - 02/22/16 12:16 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
Nope, it is all bullcrap.

I Want To Believe
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4232159 - 02/22/16 02:39 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
They are all bullcrap. But, I second the idea of letting your wife go at least once if she wants it... because she might feel better. Take it like it's a shrink, he might do nothing at all but listen, and sometimes that's what people need.

Also... You always have Penn and Teller's #%&*$# episodes to show her if she comes back believing their crap. biggrin

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
#4232162 - 02/22/16 02:41 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: WileECoyote]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: WileECoyote
Take it like it's a shrink, he might do nothing at all but listen, and sometimes that's what people need.

You mean sometimes that's what women need. As we all know, women don't want any solutions, they just want someone there to listen. wink

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/22/16 02:41 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4232165 - 02/22/16 02:46 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: marko1231123
Although I would consider my self a sceptic when it comes to things like mediums horoscope reading etc.
At the same time I would not totally dismiss some peoples ability's I watch a lot of true life crime shows
And cops do use psychics in some cases with some success, if the shows are to be believed they have interviews with the detectives Leading the investigations. Cops are naturally sceptic people so may be there are some real people with psychic ability's.

Cops are like any other people, some ore skeptics, some are believers.

But regarding the "mediums" acting on cases, it's true some of them are called or come in to offer "help", which usually ends up being interrferrance. I do not know of any case solved with the help of a medium, and neither does the FBI-

Quote:
They were "not aware of any criminal investigation that has been resolved as a direct result of information provided from a psychic.

Or maybe they hide it with the rest of the X-Files.

http://www.psmag.com/books-and-culture/psychic-detectives-have-a-perfect-record-35601

#4232167 - 02/22/16 02:51 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna
Thanks for reminding me of the utterly disappointing "I Want to Believe" movie.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4232268 - 02/22/16 06:43 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Originally Posted By: marko1231123

At the same time I would not totally dismiss some peoples ability's I watch a lot of true life crime shows
And cops do use psychics in some cases with some success,

Right- and you can do the same thing. Guesses from some reasonable suppositions (check in the forest outside of town) statistically have chances of some of them matching up to something, it's the same shotgunning effect that they can do on audiences. If you have a large audience, chances are, some of them will have basic facts in common for their demographics (the chances of having one or both parents deceased for example), and they spot those patterns and start narrowing it down further- it looks like they have ESP. After a while, they can get good at it, but not for the reason they think. If they start believing their own powers, it's because they've started to acquire superior deductive reasoning skills from all the practice, but they could start believing that they have an extra sense that no one else has. Or they never get this delusion, and they do know they are conning people.

But you don't hear of the majority of the time they're wrong in helping to solve crimes, you only hear about it when it appears to be right, therefore, it gives the impression that they're usually right. What's funny is that FBI or law enforcement forensics investigators also make educated guesses when they form psychological profiles of potential suspects or determining locations of crime scenes, only they're backed up with more research and patterns of other similar cases that they look at as a basis for comparison. No one claims that they are psychics for doing it.

Sylvia Browne was notoriously inaccurate in solving crimes, and of course those times never really get brought to anyone's attention- or if so, somehow her audience overlooks those times. Cognitive bias is a known phenomenon.

This stuff is not real- and if it were, there are too many weird implications of it that should be going on. They should be the rulers of the world, certainly doing more than cheap tricks or just kind of being idle doing talk shows and making money off of royalties like that. People want to believe there are answers to questions in life, that's the basic psychology that psychics and mediums exploit.

#4232310 - 02/22/16 08:40 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Past Life Regression:
Why was everybody royalty or some other high-ranking individual in their past lives? Do the "ordinary people" not get another chance? "I'm sorry but you didn't do enough with this life to earn a new one." If that were the case the world's population would be shrinking at an alarming rate, not expanding at one.

True story:
About 20 years ago I began working as an installer at a cable company in the eastern San Fernando Valley. While in training my trainer and I had a job to pick up some converters from a customer. When we arrived I just stood at the door. He asked me if I was going to ring the bell and I said, "No. They should know we're here." He asked how and I pointed to the sign on the door stating it was a psychic. I rang the bell anyway, and when the person answered the door she asked, "How can I help you?" I replied, "Don't you know already?"

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4232337 - 02/22/16 10:14 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: vonBaur]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Originally Posted By: vonBaur
Past Life Regression:
Why was everybody royalty or some other high-ranking individual in their past lives?

Why does Hitler's horoscope reading make him sound a good guy like everyone else who shares his birthday? I have yet to read a horoscope that explained why a person is just not a good friend or someone good to know or doesn't have ulterior motives. Everyone is on the path to success and everyone just needs to be patient until it happens. Why do I see something that I have in common with every sign of the zodiac? The PT Barnum Effect makes use of that- people want to believe they are special, that there is no one else in the world like them. People's vanity is definitely there to take advantage of, all these things appeal to that. It works.

I did get a fortune cookie once which said, "Someone will benefit from your generosity." Nice try. A little flattery, ok, I get that, but it actually wasn't my fortune. Someone benefiting from my generosity is their fortune by definition, not mine.

Another time I got one that was completely blank. Either it was a blank piece of paper that got through somehow, or someone at the factory was having a good joke.

#4232344 - 02/22/16 10:47 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
the only skills they have are reading clues from their victims and scamming your money. It is impressive how they can learn from you while making you think they already know the answer. Petting the goats at a nature center or feeding the ducks at a lake are more useful to me for processing grief to me.

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#4232345 - 02/22/16 10:48 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
No

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4232398 - 02/23/16 02:03 AM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
I've met people who have and they seemed to think that it was pretty legit but they were mainly credulous idiots, teens (redundancy) or on drugs (probably redundancy also). I doubt there's anything to "mediums" per se that can;t be explained by the inevitable transfer of currency but I have witnessed, and have had, some uncannily accurate insights from time to time.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4232407 - 02/23/16 02:18 AM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Having very perceptive insights isn't what makes psychics and mediums what they claim they are, though. Any 'non psychic' person can gain very sharp perceptions about people- whether they were naturally born that way, or through habits. For example, sales people can get very perceptive reading others, people who interview job candidates, people who date people a lot, women especially can get good at it, the natural manipulators of men that they are and that they've been practicing since they were children playing with dolls, role playing, learning social and relationship games

What separates the psychics and mediums from perceptive or sensitive people is that they claim they are bringing these messages from other worlds and things like this, not that they are just intuitive, very perceptive people. A medium claims to be a conduit between us and the spirit world, not merely a perceptive person. So therefore, the way it works is they get the person emotionally attached to this message (they're receiving messages and instructions from dead loved ones), and that's how it works. The psychics you go to won't just be happy that you pay for one session, they want you coming back, that's how they earn their money- much more from a few steady clients rather than a bunch of people who go in once and never again. The messages from beyond will get more compelling and draw the people in further, that's what it's designed to do.

#4232452 - 02/23/16 04:09 AM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Hell no.

Take her to a good Church with a great minister and perhaps he can help introduce her to Jesus Christ. Through him perhaps she may find peace for her mother's memories.

#4232513 - 02/23/16 09:48 AM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
I can't remember now, exactly, but it seems to
me in one of Pratchett's books about the
investigative chief of the City Guard, there's
a short statured clairvoyant who escapes
custody, and while he dances around it he never
comes out and says it...

#4232619 - 02/23/16 04:08 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
No, but we're not into the supernatural, biblical nor otherwise.

Just be there for her. Talk about it when she wants to talk, reminisce about the good times, hold her when she wants to cry.

Is there a grave site? Every so often I suggest we visit her parent's graves, make a day of it and visit family you haven't seen in a while, especially seniors.

#4232868 - 02/24/16 10:39 AM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: MarkG]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: MarkG
No, but we're not into the supernatural, biblical nor otherwise.

Just be there for her. Talk about it when she wants to talk, reminisce about the good times, hold her when she wants to cry.

Is there a grave site? Every so often I suggest we visit her parent's graves, make a day of it and visit family you haven't seen in a while, especially seniors.

Totally agree with your post MarkG.
But she is adamant she wants to go, so I am just going with it.

#4232966 - 02/24/16 03:09 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Never have and never will. I don't believe in that stuff.

Don't believe in anything, actually. There are things I know, and things I don't know, but I don't "believe" anything except I don't know everything.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4232980 - 02/24/16 03:22 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
There is some "supernatural" stuff that I find hard to refute based on what people I trust very much tell me firsthand.

But your average "psychic/medium" isn't part of that...

#4233067 - 02/24/16 06:59 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

The dividing line between 'natural' or 'unnatural' or 'supernatural' should be suspicious. If something exists, if something is capable of existing and people know that it exists in the natural universe, then it's natural. If spirits exist, then spirits are natural the same as trees or birds or insects or bananas or any element on the periodic table, what makes them supernatural? When something happens that only a few people can see and can produce for everyone else, then it's supernatural and we should always question that.

The problem is that it's always a few people who have these powers, ever since the first shaman popped up, it's always a few people who bring us this information, it's something that not everyone can see without their vision. Always challenge that, and have no self interest in mind, that certainly helps, that is, resist their attempts to influence your sense of vanity or what you have to gain from it.

These select people who must necessarily have information that you and I don't have and that you and I can't have without their esoteric abilities or knowledge must be challenged. Challenge all of them, have a skeptical mind for people who claim to know or see these fleeting things that disappear from the corner of our eyes when the rest of us turn to look, or we couldn't see or know to begin with. Watch how they get wise to what should be a first inclination to disbelieve and say things like, "Well, everyone is capable of perceiving the message, everyone can see it, I just bring this out in people, and they have to be open minded and if not, then that's their fault." That should be very suspicious right away.

#4233100 - 02/24/16 07:59 PM Re: Have you ever visited a psychic /medium. [Re: marko1231123]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Man, if this stuff is going to be on the final exam I'm screwed.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.