Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3920600 - 03/05/14 02:32 PM Re: Mt. Gox appears done for now- Bitcoin over? [Re: Kontakt5]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
No, I blame *insert name of politician here* because it happened under their watch, therefore it's perfectly acceptable to blame them.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3920668 - 03/05/14 04:33 PM Re: Mt. Gox appears done for now- Bitcoin over? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

It should be pointed out that not all of Flexcoin's holdings were raided. As noted in the article the coins held in "cold storage" were not accessed by the thief. However, those coins that were in the "hot wallet" (I.e., those available for immediate trading) were vulnerable and taken.

If Bitcoins cannot be TRADED safely, then what is their utility as a store of value?

It seems to me that the writing is on the wall. Recent events have irreparably damaged Bitcoin,imo. If I had any, I'd be dumping them for traditional fiat immediately, regardless of what theoretical advantages they might have.

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#3920728 - 03/05/14 05:52 PM Re: Mt. Gox appears done for now- Bitcoin over? [Re: Kontakt5]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
more turmoil from the slide of the bitcoin

Suspected suicide from Bitcoin CEO

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#3920730 - 03/05/14 05:54 PM Re: Mt. Gox appears done for now- Bitcoin over? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow
funny that people keep missing the point

you leave your information (currency!) online, it's fair game for hackers

if you physically hold your bitcoins, or you're the only one with the key, it's EXTREMELY secure.

seems ridiculous that people would attack a currency for problems with the security measures of individual companies.

you don't go blaming VISA for Target's data breach now do you.

Here's the point I am trying to make-

When I go to the store, my money is worth the same today as it was yesterday as it will likely be tomorrow, notwithstanding store markups, discounts, sales, and so forth.

Bitcoin does not work that way- its value can change from day to day, depending on what someone is willing to exchange for it. The price you see on any given day is the average what people are bidding on them, but it's not pegged to anything else. It is volatile and unpredictable- the fact the someone hacks or steals them is just one symptom that contributes to that. If someone robbed a Bank of America branch, in terms of cash supply, it will be negligible.

The only time you see the U.S. dollar experience more severe changes in value is in foreign exchanges, but in the US in its own system, it's extremely stable and reliable. Anyone will accept it for payment. If someone pays me one dollar, I don't have to sell the dollar on the market in order to covert it to another currency and then take whatever I can get for it. The dollar is already good to go.

You've seen Bitcoin skyrocket and then come down hard in value and then kind of flutter around. The dollar does not do that. That simply is the way it is.

No one gets out of here alive.

#3920734 - 03/05/14 06:02 PM Re: Mt. Gox appears done for now- Bitcoin over? [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow

if you physically hold your bitcoins, or you're the only one with the key, it's EXTREMELY secure.

How do you physically hold or exchange your bitcoins? Don't you have to interface electronically to store, manage or spend them?

I believe that is the point of theft is when they are being stored/exchanged/traded, there is active hacking and malware that focuses on stealing it and potentially some vulnerabilities in the systems that are used to store/exchange them that has made it possible for a lot of these high visibility thefts.

Also based on the volatility of the price, holding any significant sum of Bitcoin seems to be a high risk investment, so it would seem from the outside all the activities around Bitcoin involve a high risk, the main benefits being to those that profit from it's lack of traceability...or those that mine them... for the general public looking to use it as a currency not much benefit.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3920739 - 03/05/14 06:24 PM Re: Mt. Gox appears done for now- Bitcoin over? [Re: Kontakt5]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
i understand what you're saying kontakt5 but i just don't agree with it. there is a definite need for this kind of currency, and people who want to use it will put up with the fluctuating value by adjusting the prices of goods that they sell. it just isn't a big deal unless you're a currency speculator.

bitcoin is not an investment unless you're using at as speculator, and if you're using bitcoin to speculate then whatever money you lose is your own fault - speculating on bitcoin is like hyper-leveraged FX trading on conventional currencies. incredibly foolish and risky.

i say, if you need strict regulation and stability, use a different currency. bitcoin will sort itself out as it matures. it's still in its infancy. in the meantime, follow strict security procedures (the same as you would for sending secure emails, for example) and your money stays safe and confidential.

#3920741 - 03/05/14 06:27 PM Re: Mt. Gox appears done for now- Bitcoin over? [Re: Kontakt5]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Well, if we are going to use Bitcoin as a currency, it will have to be the end of amateur hour- it will likely need to fall under some kind of regulation or monetary policy, but that defeats some of the purpose of what people want it for.

I like it as a black market currency for that reason, and I am not arguing it can't be a kind of investment (although I don't know for how long, I make no predictions there), but as a currency, it has a huge uphill battle.

#3921654 - 03/07/14 09:07 PM Re: Mt. Gox appears done for now- Bitcoin over? [Re: Kontakt5]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Interesting related deeper analysis of what likely did or did not happen at Mt.Gox and Bitcoin situation as a whole:

http://hackingdistributed.com/2014/03/01/what-did-not-happen-at-mtgox/

Nice quote:

"What Nigerian scams are to your grandfather, Bitcoin exchanges are to the 20-30 semi-tech-savvy libertarian demographic. Even if the Bitcoin protocol were perfect, and it isn't, our computing infrastructure is not up to the task of handling high-value transactions. The exchanges are built on the latest hyped technologies that have incredibly poor guarantees, and routinely run into technical problems. They require full trust for their operation and are open to attacks from insiders and out. In a world where secret agents are hopping across machines and networks, keeping coins safe in a computer is a losing battle. Even if you keep everything in cold storage, laptops and phones can be infected with malware that steals coins when they come out of cold storage."

Last edited by kludger; 03/07/14 09:17 PM.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3921668 - 03/07/14 10:10 PM Re: Mt. Gox appears done for now- Bitcoin over? [Re: Kontakt5]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Yup. I think Bitcoin will be done very soon.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3921964 - 03/08/14 06:39 PM Re: Mt. Gox appears done for now- Bitcoin over? [Re: Kontakt5]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Some of the technical/software explanations are over my head, but this also provides a good summary of the 'gold as currency before we collapse' forces driving some of this:

Quote:
Bitcoiners are deathly afraid of governments, fiat, and inflation, even though most of them have never seen two-digit interest rates in their entire lifetimes, don't hold much fiat...

A lot of the discussion as to why it's necessary to move to a new currency is not based on a need that's been demonstrated, but just a manufactured disdain. It gets repeated without a lot of critical thought.

It's not there aren't some people with best intentions in this, I'm sure there are, but that doesn't mean that they haven't been caught up in a lot of hype.

I've looked at several BC exchanges this morning, and the trading prices are just all over the place. The spot price is nothing more than an average of this chaos- and this is supposed to be some sort of answer to a currency that has shown to be very reliable and desireable.

People have spread this 'fiat currency is an illusion' philosophy, and people have picked up on it for trendy reasons- no doubt of course a lot of real world current events have fueled this, with the bailouts, the Great Recession, local and national governments having problems meeting their debt obligations, conflict abroad, domestic and international terrorism, government spying, computer hackers, Congressional gridlock and fighting with the White House, and yet through all of this- the U.S. dollar is still very stable and reliable and still works. Yet these people who claim all of this would prefer to back volatile, unknown currency that isn't widely circulated, created by people who know nothing about monetary policy but are more technically minded. It's bandwagon mindset fueled by fear.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Top 50 cities in the world by population
by PanzerMeyer. 07/21/24 10:28 PM
Had a close call this past Sunday
by NH2112. 07/20/24 03:55 AM
Happy Blue Friday
by DM. 07/19/24 08:30 AM
Bob Newhart was 94
by F4UDash4. 07/18/24 08:29 PM
Yahoo Dynasty football league
by WangoTango. 07/17/24 02:12 PM
The Last of "The Few" Turns 105
by F4UDash4. 07/17/24 11:48 AM
Dear Amazon... What Is The Deal?
by F4UDash4. 07/17/24 02:20 AM
This is getting bad....
by WangoTango. 07/15/24 08:35 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.