Originally Posted by Ssnake
Originally Posted by No Fear
Originally Posted by Ssnake
It's what happens if you try to balance a budget in the middle of a Euro crisis ...

There is a Euro crisis alright,but I can't believe that Germany has been seriously affected by it,if at all.
So I find it difficult to accept that this is the real reason for this situation.

You read only a third of my statement. The last third has been recapitulated by PM. The remaining third is about the balanced budget. So, we've been dealing with the crisis AND balanced the budget, AND politically it's difficult to convince the public that you shouldn't cut the military budget, and rather social spending (even though that's the by far biggest fraction). So, that's what happens.

Note that stories like this are being pushed to the front pages now as the defense minister is trying to wrangle mo' money from the treasury, see here.

I read your statement just fine BUT I was (still am actually) under the impression that Germany had increased military spending over the past few years and despite any ''opposition'' from part of the people,the German government had tried to view the need/usefulness of a stronger/better military in a different light during the recent years.Maybe I am wrong though.

What is also crystal clear to me is that Germany was NOT affected by the Euro crisis as you mentioned,and is still the best economy in Europe.Plus,as I mentioned,Germans are famous for their organization and efficiency.So what gives?What can be the actual reason for a wealthy and well organized country like Germany dealing with problems like this one?

As far as the link you provided is concerned,Firefox blocks it and gives me a warning.

Stupidity is invincible.