Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4606252 - 08/18/22 11:41 AM Re: My new (old) car [Re: oldgrognard]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I made a series of S/H and new car purchases starting in 2008 that went on for about 2-3 years. In that time I bought 4 new cars and a couple of second hand. Did it make me happy? Briefly. But I lost money on them all, especially a new Jaguar XF banghead

Nowadays I drive a 2006 Ford Fiesta (basic model) and I'm happy. It's just a car and gets from A to B which is all I want nowadays.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4606253 - 08/18/22 11:45 AM Re: My new (old) car [Re: Chucky]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Chucky
It's just a car and gets from A to B which is all I want nowadays.

Yup, that's my mentality as well. Maybe if I lived somewhere remote with little to no traffic I would feel differently but having to drive in Miami completely sucks any and all fun out of the experience.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4606265 - 08/18/22 02:38 PM Re: My new (old) car [Re: oldgrognard]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
It all just depends on what you like. I have an SUV for a daily driver, and a Mustang for some weekend fun, and that's worth the money to me because I just enjoy it.

OG, that's a great deal on that car - good purchase, in my opinion. My Mustang is about the same in performance, and it was a little less expensive, but it's not a Bentley. smile

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4606272 - 08/18/22 04:40 PM Re: My new (old) car [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Thanks Arthonon. There are faster cars, but not so much around the area I live. Also they don’t know mine is the Speed version which has more power. They also think it is just a luxury car not knowing what the Continental GT has in it. I’m sure someone will smack me down someday but not yet. The electric cars are very quick with their instant torque. Haven’t been tried by one of them yet.

I grew up with the great love of cars. I can understand why some like Panzer just consider it transportation because of the traffic where they live. That’s why I’m not a city guy.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4606276 - 08/18/22 05:21 PM Re: My new (old) car [Re: oldgrognard]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I'm just going by what I've read, and the Continental GT Speed reviews I saw had it hitting 60 in 4.6 seconds, and the quarter in about 12.6. My Mustang is supposed to be able to hit 60 in 4 seconds and the quarter in under 12, but all of that depends on the conditions and, more important than that, the driver. Those numbers are really impressive when you consider that the Continental GT Speed weighs about 1,000 pounds more than the Mustang.

EVs do have a lot of get-up-and-go, and I think the ones with some level of performance (not counting the really high-end cars, like Porsches and the Tesla Plaid) would be really tough for most ICE cars to keep up with up to about 50mph, but after that, the ICE cars would reel most of them in. I've seen some Teslas leave an intersection in a hurry, and it's impressive.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4606289 - 08/18/22 07:28 PM Re: My new (old) car [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Times can be tricky. I have seen 4.0 and 4.6. The best sources seem to fall on 4.0.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/reviews/a13922/2008-bentley-continental-gt-speed-1/

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/bentley-0-60-mph-times/

My Maserati is a 4.6 car and the Bentley is much faster.

But, regardless of published times, it sure is a hoot to have that kind of a kick in seat of the pants go. It makes me happy that when I get on it just a bit I can feel the power and know that there is still a lot more there. Such a sedate car that sometimes when at a stop I will look at the tach to ensure that the engine is still running.

Fortunately I live away from cities and can enjoy the driving experience. While getting a seat massage.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4606321 - 08/19/22 10:33 AM Re: My new (old) car [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
BD-123 Online content
Old Scroat
BD-123  Online Content
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Chucky
It's just a car and gets from A to B which is all I want nowadays.

Yup, that's my mentality as well. Maybe if I lived somewhere remote with little to no traffic I would feel differently but having to drive in Miami completely sucks any and all fun out of the experience.

I have never understood why someone would want to have a sports car with our busy road system. National Legal Speed Limit is 70mph, Urban roads are littered with speed bumps, often leading to scraped undersides and lost exhaust expansion boxes or cracked sumps on performance cars, particularly in London,where many roads are also restricted to 20mph.

If I drive to London without hold-ups on the M40 motorway, it takes me as long to drive the last 9 miles to my daughter's house in Whitechapel as it did the previous 120 miles! Plus I have to pay ULEZ and Congestion Zone tariffs that are the equivalent of 35$ per day.

I think I'd be much more comfortable sat in a traffic jam in Chucky's Fiesta than i would a Porsche 911. (Presently on my third VW Passat, the previous two written off in accidents.....third time lucky eh?)

#4630792 - 07/08/23 11:34 PM Re: My new (old) car [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Update.

I’ve now had it for a bit over two years. Still only that air-conditioning repair. Three oil and filter changes.

It has been rock solid as my daily driver. I have put on a couple very small paint chips that I’ve done touch-up paint on. Very minor, but each one makes me wince.

It is still a lift every time I drive it. Still haven’t been beaten yet but had a Z06 run side by side. Someone out there will take me someday. But not yet. Funny that it is faster than the 2022 Mustang GT drag cars I raced. I am tempted to take the Bentley to that track and get printed numbers on it.

#4630816 - 07/09/23 04:02 PM Re: My new (old) car [Re: oldgrognard]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
There are an unbelievable amount of fast cars around now, within like a two block radius of my house are 3 600+ horsepower Honda Civics, a 500+ horsepower Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and a Lamborghini Huracan.

[Linked Image]

It's too bad that you can't really push a fast vehicle anymore, there's too much traffic and surveillance and the nearest racetrack is ridiculously busy.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.