Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 29 30
#4534581 - 08/24/20 02:09 PM PGA Tour 2K21/2K23  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
My very first PC game, as I recall, was Links 386 in 1992. I played the hell out of that game, and then many more golf games through the years. But it's been a long time since I've played any. Most are too easy, once you get the hang of it, and shooting low 60s or even breaking 60 too common. I've been on the lookout for one for a long time now, one that had swing mechanics that require practice and skill, that were not just a matter of getting the swing power correct.

PGA Tour 2K21 was just released, and I was sold enough on the concept to buy it at full price, which is something I rarely do, but it seemed to be just what I was looking for. But beyond a good golf simulation, I need a career mode. And this game, as the title suggests, has that too. It's sort of PGA Tour-lite, as the license only has 12 actual tour pros and 15 real courses. That could be better for sure, but it's a good start. It does include a nice editor, so it's only a matter of time before courses like Augusta, Pine Valley, Pebble Beach, Bethpage Black, Merion and the like are available for download.

You start the game in a tutorial, learning the swing mechanics. I am using an X-Box controller, and the swing can be put on either stick. I chose right stick and you pull down for backswing, and push up to release the club through the ball. Not a new scheme, other games use the same setup. In short order I was whacking away, with varying levels of success. It's hard, and is the most golf-like golf game I've played in that regard. I meant to just have a bash for an hour, see what it was all about, and ended up playing for 10 hours! Good grief, I had plans to work in my yard and did pull myself away long enough to cut the back yard, but otherwise I blew my whole Sunday playing virtual golf. I was so bad at it at first, and that is the hook (pun intended). Any game I suck at must be made to kneel to my awesomeness.

I am very impressed by how well they have nailed ball physics, the way it bounces and rolls. By the full control, a simple system that allows you to play draws and fades, change loft, control spin. Flop shots, chips, punch shots. It's all there.

After the tutorial I decided to launch my career. I could opt to start on the PGA Tour, but that wouldn't do. No, I must start at the bottom, where I would not embarrass myself in front of huge galleries (since the galleries are smaller haha). So I was off to Q-School, a play-in tournament to earn my card to the Korn Ferry Tour, pro golf's minor leagues. If I could get my card, and do well enough there, I would eventually earn my PGA Tour card. But first I had to qualify, and to do that I needed to finish top-50 in the 156-player field.

My first round I shot 94! Followed by a 90 and missed the cut. better luck next year! Soon I was shooting in the 80's and many more years passed as I kept showing up to Q-School before waving my goodbyes. After failing to earn my card about 10 times I was getting better (or less bad) and opened the four-round tournament with rounds of 74-73 and was well positioned for the weekend at 3-over. But I hacked it up, shot 80-87 over the weekend and once again failed to earn my card.

The game is highly customizable so I decided then to make Q-School a two-round tournament, which I reckoned would need me to be good enough fewer times and give me a better shot at it. And it worked! Somehow I managed to shoot 71-69 for 4-under, and with no weekend rounds to mess up earned my card.

I then missed the cut in the first two tournaments.

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone looking for a good golf game for PC. It's hard (at the settings I am playing anyway, you can opt to do away with the more difficult swing mechanics I think), and it really nails the game of golf. Graphics are good, but the announcers suck, even though every review I read praised them. There is heaps of real-world gear, most of the name brands are included, and all sorts of options for character appearance and clothing, but that stuff doesn't matter to me. It's all about the golf, and here I think the game has it nailed.

Here's the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RI2ukvIcT4#action=share

How do I embed this? I tried pasting the link in the "Insert Media Tag" function but clearly am doing something wrong.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4541206 - 10/17/20 07:06 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I am playing at the easier settings at the moment. Deciding between mouse or Xbox controller. So far mouse seems to be the answer. This my first golf game, and I haven't played the real thing in over 20 years. I was looking for a game that was relaxing. Just like real golf, it can be relaxing and frustrating haha.
My Steam name is FloydFlashback if you want to play a round some time.

#4541212 - 10/17/20 08:01 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I tried both and settled on the controller. I like it. I did end up turning off swing timing. I liked it, the challenge and inexactness of it all. But inevitably I would shank two or three shots a round even when I felt like I got it right and on the pro tour this will not do. So I turned that off and if the wind's not blowing too hard I can go real low. With no wind at all I've broken 60 a few times and that's a little much. Even got a hole in one.

And those scores are also possible because I use putt preview. I've tried without it but I just struggle to get a proper read on the greens. But with it, it is probably a little too easy. It's been hard for me to find the proper middle ground with the settings, but if I have to lean one way or the other I like swing timing off and putt preview on. Sounds like you've no issue with that smile

I like the game a lot but I have to find a way to get it where shooting 66 is a great round, not the average.

#4541222 - 10/17/20 09:04 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I am no where near your level. I haven't broken par yet.

#4541277 - 10/18/20 01:09 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You will be in no time. Just gotta get used to it.

I just played a round as I haven't played the game in more than a month. Shot 61 at the Q-School course, I think it's TPC Louisiana. Wind was light.

I like this game a lot. I like the ability to play so many shot types, makes it fun to think your way around the course, and the short game around the greens has some depth to it.

So yeah, I'm up for a round or two, and can get a few achievements if we play WT. Let's set something up. We can use SimHQ's teamspeak if you want. The Falcon 4 channel isn't used much smile

#4541283 - 10/18/20 02:49 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I am upgrading my PC soon, buying my son's machine with a 2080Ti in it. You don't want to be an Teamspeak with me at the moment, I am using gaming laptop. I played some ARMA3 coop one night and everyone complained that it sounded like I had a vacuum clear beside my mic. sigh

#4541392 - 10/19/20 12:53 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, comms aren't necessary and I imagine there's a typed chat in there somewhere. You can host so you can set whichever options you are comfortable with and I'll roll with that. As long as swing timing's off and unlimited putt preview is on I'm good. Course doesn't matter to me, and anyway I've only played a few of them. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evening this week are all good for me.

I have yet to even look at the MP setup, but I would reckon I simply find the name of your game in a list and join that way? This is where comms can be handy. I wouldn't know how to join you by knowing your Steam name, but open to instruction.

#4541424 - 10/19/20 02:58 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I shot an even par yesterday, my best so far. Shot timing is the bar at the bottom ? red/white/grey zone ?

#4541430 - 10/19/20 03:19 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Not sure, I think it's more to do with the transition at the top of the swing in to the downswing. Swing timing is a difficulty setting. Go to the range and turn it on and you'll see how it works. By the way, if you hadn't seen it there's a calibration thing at the range which, if you haven't run it, might help. Even par is a good score. Nicely done. You'll be shooting mid-60s in no time.

#4541470 - 10/19/20 06:14 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
It is tempting to buy this when I read the thread.
I don`t have an X- Box controller, so it`s even to buy one to use on my PC, or buy the game for my Playstation 4 for my 55` 4K TV..

Which do you recommend?
Are there any differences on the versions?

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4541483 - 10/19/20 07:14 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: Wigean]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Wigean

Which do you recommend?

I wouldn't know about the differences, and my guess is there are none, aside from things like mods and add-on courses perhaps. I'd recommend you buy the PC version so you can play with us smile

Playstation controllers work on the PC. I was unable to actually make that work when I wanted to use a controller for the FSS/DSS suite in Elite Dangerous, so I bought an X Box controller and it worked plug and play. A USB X Box controller is like $15. But you could try the mouse first and maybe that would work well for you. I like the controller with this game, having experimented with both.

#4541485 - 10/19/20 07:32 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Thanks for the answer DBond.

Then I will go for the PC version. Then the question is Steam or not. Does it matter at all?

Here are some controllers. A dollar is roughly 10 NOKs. I will order one tonight.
https://www.komplett.no/category/21651/gaming/gaming-utstyr/spillkontrollere/gamepad

I played some Golf games years ago. Had some EA games. Played with mouse and it worked out ok`ish, but if it`s tecnically better with a gamepad I`m willing to try.

Online gaming is scary stuff, but you never know. Do you play on a special server and how do you communicate?

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4541490 - 10/19/20 07:44 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well I haven't actually done it yet, play online that is. Wango Tango's interest though made me think it would be fun to share the experience and maybe we'll be giving it our first go within a week. I'd be wary if I sucked at it, but I'm pretty good at certain settings and have no trouble giving it a go. I mean, if you can shoot par or better most of the time what's to lose? If I were hacking it up to the tune of 90+ every round I wouldn't be looking to share that with others biggrin

#4541492 - 10/19/20 08:03 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
As to the Steam question I have no real advice, but for me I go Steam for everything I can. I think Steam is one of the greatest things that has happened to my gaming, but I know others feel very differently. I'm also thinking Steam Workshop will make adding new courses a snap, but I have yet to do that (or even if they will be offered through the workshop)

It probably won't matter much which way you go but for me there was only one way I was going to go.

#4541502 - 10/19/20 09:32 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Ok.
Downloading the Steam version now. Bought the DeLuxe model so I can get some advantage. smile

I haven`t played online since the Frugal times in the start of the Arma games, and when Flaming Cliffs was a standalone.
I remember I bought that crazy car crash sim because I read that you guys, including Goose R,I.P. , had so much fun with. I think I still have it somewhere. But it was never to be.

I have most of my games on Steam now. Very convenient when buying a new PC. I keep DCS separate though and most of the other flight sims.

#4541529 - 10/20/20 01:46 AM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Cool, we can hook up for some rounds. I am currently using a gaming mouse, Logitech G502 set at 3200 dpi.
I like Steam, mainly because I like to backup my games as my internet is not super fast.
My Steam handle is FloydFlashback. (I gave my WangoTango account to my son with over 200 games when he first got into PC gaming)
If we add each other as Steam friends, I believe we can invite each other through the game.

#4541567 - 10/20/20 11:49 AM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Request sent.

Ready for the SimHQ Pro Tour smile

#4541581 - 10/20/20 01:52 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
I tried it last night.
Went through the initial training and I really like it.
Using the mouse is quite allright actually, just takes a little time getting used to.
I have to do some more training though before I enter a tournament.

#4541591 - 10/20/20 03:15 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by DBond
Originally Posted by Wigean

Which do you recommend?

Playstation controllers work on the PC.

360 controller is the easiest to get to work, but there's a device made by Mayflash called the Magic NS(and probably the Pro) that let you use your PS3/PS4 controllers on PC, also, and other devices like the Nintendo Switch, for twenty bucks.

#4541597 - 10/20/20 03:49 PM Re: PGA Tour 2K21 [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I'm pretty sure the PS4 controller can connect via your PC's bluetooth, no adapter needed. Not sure about Xbox one controllers.

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 29 30

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.