homepage

Star Trek Turbolifts

Posted By: F4UDash4

Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/16/21 04:12 PM

The number of decks in Star Trek starships never made a lot of sense to me nor does turbolifts "falling" inside a spaceship that has to create it's own artificial gravity. Why would they create gravity in the turboshafts? The lifts would work better without any, just generate gravity in the turbolift floor for the occupants.

I've not seen these Discovery scenes but it seems they taken the turbolift silliness to an entirely new level.

https://youtu.be/17Mu-lyFTWs
Posted By: KRT_Bong

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/20/21 05:28 PM

The Turbo lift sequences in Discovery make absolutely no sense at all. Vast open spaces, Turbo Lift Cars generating their own pathways. Roller coasters inside the spacecraft?
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/20/21 06:11 PM

I have never seen Discovery until this video, and the series looks quite retarded.
Posted By: Khai

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/22/21 07:40 AM

So, at some point, starfleet obtained Gallifreyan tech?
Posted By: mikew

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/24/21 09:40 AM

Got to fit in some mindless CGI action. frown

I thought the first 8 episodes in Series 3 were pretty good, the next 2 were just a vehicle for Yeoh, then the last 3 were utter rubbish.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/25/21 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I have never seen Discovery until this video, and the series looks quite retarded.

I have not watched Discovery so I can't comment on it but I do know that the ST fanbase seems to be highly divided among the several different series. There are fans who like TOS and nothing else while other fans absolutely love TNG but think DS9 is too "dark". Then there are the fans who think Enterprise is a huge pile of dung while other fans think it's an incredibly underrated series.

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/25/21 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

I have not watched Discovery so I can't comment on it but I do know that the ST fanbase seems to be highly divided among the several different series. There are fans who like TOS and nothing else while other fans absolutely love TNG but think DS9 is too "dark". Then there are the fans who think Enterprise is a huge pile of dung while other fans think it's an incredibly underrated series.

I like and appreciate the differences of TOS-TNG-DS9-VOY-ENT but the recent series and movies are a different story. None feel like Trek other than having starships and Trek characters in them.

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/25/21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4
None feel like Trek other than having starships and Trek characters in them.

The JJ Abrams Trek films were indeed "Starwarsified". In fact, JJ even mentioned the influence of Star Wars in some interviews he did way back when the first film was released in 2009.
Posted By: Nimits

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/28/21 01:17 AM

None feel like Trek other than having starships and Trek characters in them.

The JJ Abrams Trek films were indeed "Starwarsified". In fact, JJ even mentioned the influence of Star Wars in some interviews he did way back when the first film was released in 2009.

Speaking as a person who generally likes Star Wars better than Star Trek, I absolutely hated the "Star Warsy" influence in the new Star Trek. Not everything has to be the same; when I want Star Wars, I watch Star Wars, when I want Star Trek, I watch Star Trek; when you mash them together, you loose what makes each special.
Posted By: DM

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/28/21 11:06 AM

I found the first of the JJ Abrams era Star Trek movies almost offensively bad.

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/28/21 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nimits

Speaking as a person who generally likes Star Wars better than Star Trek, I absolutely hated the "Star Warsy" influence in the new Star Trek. Not everything has to be the same; when I want Star Wars, I watch Star Wars, when I want Star Trek, I watch Star Trek; when you mash them together, you loose what makes each special.

I agree with your point but I also understand the logic behind the artistic changes made by JJ and Paramount. Star Trek Nemesis was a box office flop and Enterprise suffered from low ratings and was cancelled prematurely. Paramount was then looking to make the franchise appeal to a wider mainstream audience so hence they brought in JJ.

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/28/21 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by DM

In retrospect and after having watched the movie several times I've come to the conclusion that the casting was really well done but the main story made no sense at all. Have you seen this meme? It really sums it up well.

Attached picture pic.jpg
Posted By: DM

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/28/21 12:00 PM

In retrospect and after having watched the movie several times I've come to the conclusion that the casting was really well done but the main story made no sense at all. Have you seen this meme? It really sums it up well.

That's a good meme, but there's much, much more than just that smile

Remember when as a punishment for Kirk, they..... threw him out of the side of a spaceship? Then he fell down onto the Incredibly Dangerous Planet? Then, when he was running away from a monster, he ran into Spock? Yep.

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 01/28/21 01:07 PM

https://youtu.be/lHwLd4qyG7A

Posted By: Khai

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 02/03/21 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by DM

Meme makes no sense. Grandfather Paradox you see.
Posted By: 453Raafspitty

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 06/09/21 09:57 AM

How to inject new life into a SciFi franchise?Time Travel...

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 06/09/21 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by 453Raafspitty
How to inject new life into a SciFi franchise?Time Travel...

LOL! Oh yes, that is truly an original and ground-breaking theme.
Posted By: Nimits

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 06/17/21 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Khai

Meme makes no sense. Grandfather Paradox you see.

As opposed to the plot as executed . . . ? ? ?
Posted By: Allaire

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 07/02/21 10:29 PM

The biggest plot hole in JJ Trek could have been solved if they would have fleshed out where Nero was between the time he appeared in the past and when he started his attack on Vulcan. It was covered in a motion comic that most people didn't know about. What it revealed was Nero was imprisoned by the Klingons and it's hinted at in the theatrical release when Uhura incepts the Klingon transmission.
Posted By: masterKamera

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 04/24/22 05:00 AM

the whole "nero in prison" story is only found on the special features disc for the movie.

oddly the turbolifts in discovery are a joke, discovery is a joke.

i always said deep space nine and enterprise was a joke, but discovery and the other new shows... make them look good

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 04/25/22 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by masterKamera

i always said deep space nine and enterprise was a joke, but discovery and the other new shows... make them look good

DS9 is the best overall Trek ever and Enterprise was great, canceled just when it would have gotten awesome (Romulan War, refitted/updated Enterprise)
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 04/25/22 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by masterKamera

DS9 is the best overall Trek ever and Enterprise was great, canceled just when it would have gotten awesome (Romulan War, refitted/updated Enterprise)

Agreed on DS9 - really well done, and I think one of the better series endings. Sisko was a great captain, I'd say maybe second to Kirk, but it's a tough call - Kirk set the standard so it's difficult to compare fairly. But compared to Picard, Janway, etc., Sisko is way out front, and maybe a little ahead of Archer.

Enterprise was a good premise, but I didn't like the temporal cold war, and the Xindi story line. Also, it seemed like things progressed too quickly, like they didn't really want to do an early Starfleet/Federation story, and wanted to get back into TNG or something.

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 04/26/22 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Arthonon

Enterprise was a good premise, but I didn't like the temporal cold war, and the Xindi story line. Also, it seemed like things progressed too quickly, like they didn't really want to do an early Starfleet/Federation story, and wanted to get back into TNG or something.

I can understand that but I think the progression was handled pretty good personally. Transporters existed but where not used for humans, except in emergencies. I thought that was a good "toe in the water" step toward the familiar Trek Tech without jumping all in. Same with weapons / shields.
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 04/26/22 06:48 PM

I can understand that but I think the progression was handled pretty good personally. Transporters existed but where not used for humans, except in emergencies. I thought that was a good "toe in the water" step toward the familiar Trek Tech without jumping all in. Same with weapons / shields.

Not to be argumentative, and it's been a while since I've seen it so I may not remember everything accurately, but it seemed like once they used the transporter in an emergency, they started using it a lot more. But beyond that technological approach, it seemed like they interacted with a lot of alien races earlier than I expected, with a Klingon being on Earth in the opening episode, and encounters with the Romulans, etc. Part of that is because of sticking with what was established in the First Contact movie, where the Vulcans came to Earth, and I didn't really like that either. I think the original series implied that Earth had gone out and encountered a few races, established relations, and then expanded from there, and it was a slower process.

For example, I got the impression that the Romulan war was with Earth, not the Federation, so I thought Earth was more isolated for a while. There certainly could be a Earth-Romulan war in the situation in Enterprise, but it just seemed to have a different vibe than what was implied in the original series.

Re: Star Trek Turbolifts - 04/27/22 01:32 PM

Not to be argumentative, and it's been a while since I've seen it so I may not remember everything accurately, but it seemed like once they used the transporter in an emergency, they started using it a lot more.

Three or four times I can recall, all emergencies. But if you did find out it works ok with humans, why wouldn't you keep on using it?

I think the original series implied that Earth had gone out and encountered a few races, established relations, and then expanded from there, and it was a slower process.

There were a few ideas that were mentioned vaguely in the first few episodes of the Original Series (especially "The Cage") that would have really cramped the writing if taken to extreme as undeniable canon. IE comments by the helm implying that faster than light travel is new, excited Spock shouting "The Women!" or "Switch to rockets, we're blasting out!"", Pike telling the Telosians Earth was "at the other end of this galaxy"
© 2024 SimHQ Forums