homepage

Best evil corporation?

Posted By: Dart

Best evil corporation? - 06/21/20 02:41 AM

Each has it's ups and down, but for my money it's the Umbrella Corporation.

They make everything, and brand it, too. They make GI Joe's Cobra look casual about slapping a logo on stuff.

They put their logo on the backs of bullets. On the actual bullet. That is attention to detail that throws cost effectiveness out the window.

They own the police force, military units, research labs, telephone companies, etc., etc.

What's your nomination?
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/21/20 06:58 AM

Umbrella was what spontaneously came to my mind too when I read the title (plus, they have also branded the Pope).

But I think that the Weyland-Yutani conglomerate is a strong contender, too. Autonomous, life-like kill-capable androids sold everywhere, xenomorph research for their bioweapons department (which, it is alluded to, is publicly listed at the stock market and in competition with other bioweapons developers, how crazy is that). Their willingness to sacrifice settlers and, ultimately, humanity on Earth itself, the inability of governments to keep them under control ... ticks all the boxes.
Posted By: 453Raafspitty

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/21/20 08:54 AM

Microsoft anyone?

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/21/20 10:08 AM

Nope.

Don't want to derail this thread, so...
Greedy maybe, like any other corporation, but their business practices brought us also the biggest possible library of software. Without Microsoft licensing DOS (and later WIndows) idenpendently to a multitude of hardware vendors, maybe they quasi-monopolized the market for personal computer operating systems but at the same time they opened up the market for competition which would otherwise have been a fight between IBM and, maybe, Apple.
Also, it's not like there were never alternatives to operating systems from Microsoft. DR-DOS, Linux, BSD ... the vast majority of people however decided that MS offered them the best deal. If MS became a towering giant, it is because billions of people made purchasing decisions that rejected the alternatives.

Besides, this being the "Science fiction" board, I think it's fair to say that only corporations of fiction are eligible.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/21/20 03:53 PM

Umbrella is certainly up there with ending civilization and all that. Weyland-Yutani sure does try hard too though. They don't even pay everyone equal shares!
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/21/20 03:56 PM

The Soylent Corporation. They loved people too much.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Khai

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/21/20 07:23 PM

OCP
Posted By: RedToo

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/21/20 07:37 PM

Tyrell Corporation. “More human than human”.

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/21/20 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by RedToo
Tyrell Corporation. “More human than human”.

Nothing they did is what Weyland-Yutani didn't either, and then a lot more. Tyrrell is like a precursor to Yutani Robotics, before merging with Weyland Heavy Industries.
Posted By: Vaderini

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/21/20 11:31 PM

S.P.E.C.T.R.E

They literally just want to see the world burn, and have no other motives besides being evil. They even have their badness spelled in their name, I mean how many other corporations just put Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion in their name?

And then the wikipedia article
Members who fail missions are immediately executed, usually in gory and spectacular ways. In the novel, Blofeld electrocutes one member in his chair for sexually molesting a girl who had been kidnapped by the organization; he had previously strangled a second to death with a garrote and shot a third through the heart with a compressed-air pistol.

- Dr. Julius No (Dr. No) – boiled alive in his own nuclear reactor.
- Tov Kronsteen (No. 5, From Russia with Love) – killed on Blofeld's orders by Morzeny with poisoned stabbing shoe
- Quist (Thunderball) – thrown by Largo into shark pool
- Number 3 (You Only Live Twice) – blown up in volcano explosion

I mean daaaamn
Posted By: Dart

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/22/20 12:48 AM

All very good! SPECTRE wasn't really a corporation, though; it was more just a criminal organization.

As a light hearted entry,

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/22/20 05:56 AM

SPECTRE at least was a "for profit organization" with a board of directors (apparently reinvesting all their money into extravagant executive hideouts). And, according to Evil Genius (the underappreciated base-building RTS from around 2000), it's plausible that each terror center also had it's "legitimate business front" with Mr. and Mrs. Henchman type employees not signing up for the terror part. If you left a door open while torturing a pesky government agent, those employees would flee your organization (also, you had to gloat and reveal your plans to said intruders as the only means to gain victory points ... which explains a lot).
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/22/20 10:29 AM

What movie or tv show is Umbrella from?

edit: Never mind. I just Googled it. I've not seen any of the Resident Evil movies so hence my lack of familiarity.

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/22/20 11:45 AM

Weyland-Yutani and Tyrell have already been mentioned as expected so I'll add the UAC. If you have played any of the Doom games you know what I'm talking about.
Posted By: wormfood

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/23/20 03:41 PM

Vault-Tec. Disguising fallout shelters as horrible social and scientific experiments. Also, they may have caused or helped cause the nuclear war.

Re: Best evil corporation? - 06/23/20 04:28 PM

Oh, how can I forget about Delos and Incite? If you watch Westworld you know exactly why these are two great examples of evil corporations.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Best evil corporation? - 07/01/20 12:35 AM

Umbrella was the first one i thought of when reading the title as well. Name banding everything really does work.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Best evil corporation? - 07/01/20 12:42 AM

Three, in no particular order:

Weyland Utani Corporation

Tri Optimum Corporation

Omni Consumer Products

Bonus points if anyone knows what the second one is without having to Google... smile
Posted By: purolator

Re: Best evil corporation? - 07/01/20 07:23 AM

I'd propose NCP (North Central Positronics), and it's parent company Sombra Corporation.

Re: Best evil corporation? - 07/01/20 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

Tri Optimum Corporation

Omni Consumer Products

Bonus points if anyone knows what the second one is without having to Google... smile

Don't know that one but I'll leave it open for others who might. Is Omni Robocop?

Re: Best evil corporation? - 07/01/20 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chucky
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

Tri Optimum Corporation

Omni Consumer Products

Don't know that one but I'll leave it open for others who might. Is Omni Robocop?

Yes, I'm pretty sure Omni is from Robocop. I have no clue about "Tri Optimum" though.

Re: Best evil corporation? - 07/01/20 03:35 PM

They made classic elevator music, among other consumer products. Also, killer robots.

Re: Best evil corporation? - 07/01/20 05:29 PM

And advanced artificial intelligence!

Re: Best evil corporation? - 07/01/20 05:31 PM

Ok so I relented and Googled "Tri Optimum Corporation". At least now I know why I've never heard of it before.

Re: Best evil corporation? - 07/01/20 05:35 PM

And now you should experience why it is so renowned. wink

Re: Best evil corporation? - 07/01/20 06:35 PM

Isn't there a 2020 remake of SS on its way?
© 2024 SimHQ Forums