homepage

Philip K. Dick

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Philip K. Dick - 05/15/18 02:01 PM

It's amazing to me just how many movies have been made based on his stories. I can't think of any other sci-fi writer who has had so many film adaptations made.

Blade Runner
Total Recall
Minority Report
A Scanner Darkly
Paycheck
Next
Screamers
The Adjustment Bureau

Having said that, I have yet to read any of his short stories but I do plan on reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" soon. smile
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Philip K. Dick - 05/15/18 03:42 PM

I've thought about that as well - he had a lot of really interesting ideas and observations.

I read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" a long time ago, and it was interesting, but you could see how they only used the general framework for Blade Runner. Not surprisingly, it went more into the overall society, as I recall.
Posted By: axman

Re: Philip K. Dick - 05/15/18 03:44 PM

Don't forget The Man in the High Castle... just binged watched that and can't wait for the third season.
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: Philip K. Dick - 05/16/18 04:14 AM

For a significant portion of his writing career Dick was addicted to ampthetamines, which no doubt contributed substantially to the atmosphere of paranoia that he created so well in his stories. That is, I think, also a reason why they adapt well to the screen.
Posted By: DM

Re: Philip K. Dick - 05/16/18 07:36 AM

Literally yesterday a friend of mine put me onto a series I had not heard of:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5711280/
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams. A series of short stories made into standalone episodes.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums