homepage

Off to Texel !

Posted By: DocW

Off to Texel ! - 04/21/11 06:08 PM

- yeah, who cares, who am I ..... I thought it would give these forum a nice human touch and may cool down things a bit to let you know that I have a week off and me and my family (5 and a dog) is off to the nice netherlandinian island of Texel (maps.ggogle.com:Textel). Nice dutch people in a charming dutch landscape. Beer and Frikandeln.

So be nice an wish me a good time. Can't wait to see the sea ... and yes, I will miss COD , which is without any doubt buggy, premature, ill conceived, a real provocation but utterly fascinating and the best BOB recreation since, well BOB ... once ironed out.

So, happy Eastern to all of you and in about 7 days I will be back keeping the bodycount and helping to clear up the battlefields here...

Michael.
Posted By: Wallimiyama

Re: Off to Texel ! - 04/21/11 06:20 PM

Cheers!
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Off to Texel ! - 04/22/11 01:28 AM

I hope you have a fun trip.

Wheels
Posted By: bisher

Re: Off to Texel ! - 04/22/11 01:48 AM

Cheers Doc!
Posted By: the Dutchman

Re: Off to Texel ! - 04/22/11 08:52 AM

You should check out Texel's WWII history,there are several sites where bombers chrashed,and the airfield was used by the Luftwaffe...i just returned from a weekend,and during a walk stumbled upon a small remembrance site where a Beaufighter crashed,a trip before came across a site where a Lanc crashed...on the airfield itself there's a crashed Me-110 engine.

http://www.waddenindeoorlog.nl/no_cache/...5D=bommenwerper
Posted By: Freycinet

Re: Off to Texel ! - 04/22/11 09:01 AM

Went to Zeeland (Veere, Middelburg, Deurne) in the Netherlands last weekend myself, really lovely in the sun, enjoy!
Posted By: sascha

Re: Off to Texel ! - 04/22/11 12:52 PM

Quote:
Beer and Frikandeln.

Yeah, yeah.. like we don't know the *real* reason for going to Holland ... biggrin

Have fun, and make sure to order thoes Frikandeln as "Special" (Ketchup, Mayo, onions)... yum, yum.

S.
Posted By: JAMF

Re: Off to Texel ! - 04/23/11 03:14 PM

I'll be on Texel next weekend. I'll see if I can visit sites of interest, family and weather permitting. biggrin
Posted By: Lieuwe

Re: Off to Texel ! - 04/24/11 08:55 AM

I fly there every now and then, have to admit it is my least favorite of the frisian isles. Its basically just a polder in the waddensea. I prefer Terschelling or Vlieland!
Posted By: Desode

Re: Off to Texel ! - 04/24/11 09:24 AM

Have a Great Safe Trip and a Happy Easter !
Bring us back some nice pics !
Desode
Posted By: commorange

Re: Off to Texel ! - 04/24/11 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: sascha
Yeah, yeah.. like we don't know the *real* reason for going to Holland ... biggrin

Oh yeah the Hash trays. To each his own but I prefer to enjoy a vacation with a clear mind.
Posted By: DocW

Re: Off to Texel ! - 05/01/11 07:58 AM

Originally Posted By: the Dutchman
You should check out Texel's WWII history,there are several sites where bombers chrashed,and the airfield was used by the Luftwaffe...i just returned from a weekend,and during a walk stumbled upon a small remembrance site where a Beaufighter crashed,a trip before came across a site where a Lanc crashed...on the airfield itself there's a crashed Me-110 engine.

http://www.waddenindeoorlog.nl/no_cache/...5D=bommenwerper

If I had known before, I would have planned it in our trip. The AirMuseum is exceptionally great, and the Texel airport quite impressive.
Well anyway, I can offer you this:

A Bf 110 engine out of the northern sea

and we found a memorial site of a downed B17:

in effect (sorry for my bad dutch), the B17 was scheduled from Norfolk to bomb the Kiel Submarinbase, but due to a technical defect it had to jettison its ordnance over Heligoland.
It was then hit over Texel (Flak?). From the 10 airmen three took their chutes, but one sadly got stuck with the airframe.
Only two survivors. In the museum, the sad little stories of many aircrews crashed or ditched on or near Texel are displayed. Really worth a longer visit.

Oh, well, finally, two of my companions (in Holland, you ride a bicycle most of the time):

Back,

Michael.

© 2024 SimHQ Forums