homepage

I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one

Posted By: SkullBiscuit

I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/07/11 02:35 PM

With the release of the beta patch it is becoming increasingly clear

The need to become a combination of Seneca the famous Stoic and Groucho Marx

This flight sim may never be playable

BUT....this forum is providing plenty of entertainment

Hmmmm....another example of the law of unintended consequences?

When a butterfly flaps its wings outside of 1C's development studio........
Posted By: WynnTTr

Re: I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/07/11 02:42 PM

Yeah the drama runs thick here. Least I get a chuckle out the whole thing.

Just FYI steam says I've played 10 hours on the game. That's some cheap entertainment for $5 an hour. And that's all this is: entertainment.
I've been less entertained for alot more in my time.
Posted By: Mizzy

Re: I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/07/11 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: WynnTTr

Just FYI steam says I've played 10 hours on the game. That's some cheap entertainment for $5 an hour. And that's all this is: entertainment.

A very sensible way of looking at the subject matter among the total bilge on this board. Bravo!

Mizzy smile
Posted By: Wodin

Re: I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/07/11 07:47 PM

Not sure how the game could never get to a playable state...is that even possible? It may take some major patches and obviously as our rigs get better through upgrades (which was the case with IL2, which many forget how that played on release for many systems)...veyr much doubt it will stay as it is....eventually even if it's dropped by 1c modders will get to work on it...
Posted By: ZG26_Emil

Re: I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/07/11 07:56 PM

People forget or weren't around back then but IL2 tech suport forums was awash with complaints from people who couldn't get the game running at the time. For many IL2 was unplayable to, and that includes myself who at the time had spend a huge sum of money on a new state of the art PC. I was gutted at the time but fixes came along and the comunity also posted links on how to make the sim more playable and perform better.....Years later look at where IL2 is!

People need to stop clogging the forums up with rubbish and work together on optimising our own systems or asking for help and tips while C1 work on patches and fixes.
Posted By: GloDark7

Re: I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/07/11 08:07 PM

I remember playing original IL-2 back in 2002. I had it on a Pentium 233Mhz, 2GB HDD, with an ATI Rage Pro (I think it was), and something like 32MB RAM (possibly more).

Ran a heck of a lot better than CoD frown
Posted By: ZG26_Emil

Re: I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/07/11 08:23 PM

Funny cos CLOD is playing better on my Laptop that IL2 did on my original PC at the time of it's release.
Posted By: calmer133

Re: I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/07/11 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: SkullBiscuit
With the release of the beta patch it is becoming increasingly clear

The need to become a combination of Seneca the famous Stoic and Groucho Marx

This flight sim may never be playable

BUT....this forum is providing plenty of entertainment

Hmmmm....another example of the law of unintended consequences?

When a butterfly flaps its wings outside of 1C's development studio........

Good post - you may be right haha biggrin
Posted By: Bounty

Re: I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/07/11 10:16 PM

Very true, 20hrs for me currently, so by the end of the weekend I'll have spent £1 for every hours entertainment.
Doubt a £1 would last an hour down the arcade nowadays...

Hell last time me and the missus went to the cinema the tickets + drink + sweets came to £30 and that only last an hour and a half!
Posted By: Tiger27

Re: I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/08/11 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: JG5_Emil

People forget or weren't around back then but IL2 tech suport forums was awash with complaints from people who couldn't get the game running at the time. For many IL2 was unplayable to, and that includes myself who at the time had spend a huge sum of money on a new state of the art PC. I was gutted at the time but fixes came along and the comunity also posted links on how to make the sim more playable and perform better.....Years later look at where IL2 is!

People need to stop clogging the forums up with rubbish and work together on optimising our own systems or asking for help and tips while C1 work on patches and fixes.

Ah yes I remember those days, same story with ROF, admittedly this releaswe is probably worse than either of the other two but I wouldnt give up hope yet, even if maddoxs games drops it we might still get lucky, ROF's change of publisher/owner to 777 is one of the best things that happened to it, unfortunately all these issues are a large part of why flight simming is not mainstream, well that and the nerdy trackIR/hotas gear we use and wear.
Posted By: HogDriver

Re: I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/08/11 08:16 AM

Originally Posted By: GloDark7
I remember playing original IL-2 back in 2002. I had it on a Pentium 233Mhz, 2GB HDD, with an ATI Rage Pro (I think it was), and something like 32MB RAM (possibly more).

Ran a heck of a lot better than CoD frown

Yep, I had a low end PC back when IL-2 came out and I could also run it better. (and play every mode) I do remember that battles with large amounts of planes still caused issues with stutters and FPS, but upgrading to a better video card fixed nearly all of that.

I'm stuck with small skirmishes over the Channel with CLoD until they finish it.
Posted By: Rusty_M

Re: I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/08/11 09:32 AM

I think it will be playable at some point. For me it already is playable, but I know a lot of people are having big issues.
Posted By: AggressorBLUE

Re: I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/08/11 05:04 PM

I've said it in several places already, and I'll say it again here: This is why Sims should cost more.

If publishers like Ubi knew they could charge $100 or so a title, they would put way more support behind sim titles. More support means CloD would launch in a far more stable state, and this forum would be gathering dust, as all it's members are tearing it up over the English Channel!

Plus, when one thinks of the hundreds of hours put into a sim, even paying more than $100 still works out pretty well when you use the math above. Compare it to something like Crysis 2, which has about an 8 hour campaign, and the value is clear.

One thing to point out though, is your equation isn't 100% accurate. If you really want to break down the cost per hour of PC gaming, one must factor in the cost of hardware. That said, the more sims one has to play, the more hours of entertainment they put on said hardware, thus a lower cost per hour to play.
Posted By: Ming_EAF19

Re: I perceive the prospect of getting my money's worth out of this one - 04/08/11 05:37 PM

Seneca

Or failing that, bromide

Ming
© 2024 SimHQ Forums