homepage

Show us your home 'cockpit'

Posted By: Sim

Show us your home 'cockpit' - 03/30/11 06:04 PM

After TX-Gunslinger posted his setup, I'm wondering what everyone else is using. So what does your 'cockpit' looks like.

Here's mine.
Posted By: FearlessFrog

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 03/30/11 06:10 PM

Are those donuts or onion rings?

Man alive, I'm hungry. Brb.

smile

Also, I hope you move those pedals on to the floor or you're a hobbit. (No offense intended if you are a hobbit)
Posted By: Kankkis

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 03/30/11 06:10 PM

Sim y got g940, how is it with the game, i have heard y cannot change centering spring, it's allways 100% in cod

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 03/30/11 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Are those donuts or onion rings?

Man alive, I'm hungry. Brb.

smile

Also, I hope you move those pedals on to the floor or you're a hobbit. (No offense intended if you are a hobbit)

My snacks? Neither. They are 'sushki" http://tdkondspb.ru/d/15383/d/1150983848.jpg

And I'm not a hobbit. Picture's angle doesn't allow you to see depth too well. When I sit on a couch, there's enough room for legs.

Originally Posted By: Kankkis
Sim y got g940, how is it with the game, i have heard y cannot change centering spring, it's allways 100% in cod

Yep, it's always 100%. So change settings in windows to lower that number.
Posted By: ArgonV

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 03/30/11 07:56 PM

No COD yet! (On order from Amazon) Here's my rig before I got the Thrustmaster MFDs:

And after:

I still need to program them and set up the templates for my modern sims...
Posted By: sascha

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 03/31/11 09:41 AM

Argon: Are those mountings for stick and throttle custom-built? Or does someone sell stuff like that..?

S.
Posted By: Point Blank

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 03/31/11 11:13 AM

Sim, how big is that screen?
Posted By: Wholehawg

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 03/31/11 12:12 PM

I recently added some TM MFDs

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 03/31/11 03:54 PM

sascha, they were once sold by Interface Dynamics. You can't get them anywhere sadly anymore... There's an old thread with ideas here: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3162870/Mounting_Hotas_on_Office_Chair.html

Wholehawg, that's a very neat pit!!!

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 03/31/11 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Point Blank

55 inch.

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/20/11 01:06 PM

Bump
Posted By: Mangus

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/21/11 01:37 AM

Sim,

Do you put pedals on the floor when gaming? If so, does it scratch the floor?
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/21/11 11:25 AM

Holy Wholehawg , how did the divorce go biggrin

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/21/11 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Mangus
Sim,

Do you put pedals on the floor when gaming? If so, does it scratch the floor?

Nah. I just keep it on that little magazine stance. There is a very adhesive rag that keeps rudders in place.
Posted By: ATAG_Bliss

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/21/11 03:17 PM

Sorry for the cell phone image.

Best desk I've ever used for flight simming though:

Posted By: xnomad

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/22/11 09:59 AM

How do you find using an office swivel chair with rudder pedals? I hate it, even if you get the wheels to stop moving the chair swivels slightly when you kick the rudders. I grab a dining room chair when I fire up Flight Sims.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/22/11 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Ajay

That made me lol smile
Posted By: Steven190

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/22/11 01:26 PM

This was a winter project a few years ago and is still being modified.

Posted By: Warbirds

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/22/11 05:18 PM

Here is mine and it is very authentic, real leather, proper flying posistion, vintage 1950's and equiped with all the things I need to win this virtual war.

Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/22/11 06:14 PM

Cool setup Warbirds. Do you find yourself napping between sorties. biggrin

Wheels
Posted By: TX-Gunslinger

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/22/11 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Sim
After TX-Gunslinger posted his setup, I'm wondering what everyone else is using. So what does your 'cockpit' looks like.

Nice digs, Sim!

Is that a 27" or 30" Dell? Are you 1920 X 1200 or 2560 X 1600?

Funny, I'm almost done with a complete overhaul of my "pit" - more controllers added and many new ergonomic features.

Now that I've had CoD for long enough to fully understand all the Control section nuances, I can finally finish. Hopefully I'll be adding some pics to this thread before the days out.

So far, the coolest "cockpit/desk" I've seen so far is this one, designed and built by Propnut over at Warthog World. The utility, elegance and flexibility of his arrangement is what strikes me. Since I fly multiple sims and do other things with my computer, I don't want an enclosed cockpit. Besides, if you've built yourself a Spitfire or 109 cockpit to achieve the ultimate in "immersion" - what do you do when you fly other, completely different aircraft?

http://www.warthogworld.com/hangar/showthread.php?66-Rollout-Warthog-platforms

There are pics on both pages of that thread - incredible, to me.

S!

Gunny
Posted By: BadBud

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/22/11 09:18 PM

BadBud
www.simflite.com

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/23/11 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: TX-Gunslinger

Nice digs, Sim!

Is that a 27" or 30" Dell? Are you 1920 X 1200 or 2560 X 1600?

Gunny

Aim higher! That's 55 inch TV with native at 1080p. Love it!

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/23/11 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: wheelsup_cavu
Cool setup Warbirds. Do you find yourself napping between sorties. biggrin

Wheels

Yes I do but always seem to wake up just before the fireworks start. There is one real airplane related object in that picture but you will have to look hard to find it. On the other end, about 7 feet away, is a 60 inch Sony lcd and sound system, ps3, hd cable and assorted strange objects.

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/23/11 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: xnomad
How do you find using an office swivel chair with rudder pedals? I hate it, even if you get the wheels to stop moving the chair swivels slightly when you kick the rudders. I grab a dining room chair when I fire up Flight Sims.

The floor mat I have keeps the chair from moving too easily (It's soft plastic), and I've toned down the swivel of the chair down a lot.
Posted By: Schweppes

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/23/11 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Steven190
This was a winter project a few years ago and is still being modified.

Very very cool Steven190! Is that a KG13 in your pit and where did you get it? If i may ask:)

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/23/11 05:13 PM

Haha Warbirds... cutting board as mouse pad? Nice touch.

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/23/11 06:02 PM

I have wrist problems from years of doing this so I looked for the slickest surface posible and found this great super slick cutting board at Walmart. Best mouse pad I ever had and it was about 3 bucks. Just wish it had been in black but white seems to work better with optical mice.
Posted By: Lord_Vader

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/23/11 06:34 PM

<Dreamtag on> Wouldn't it be nice to use a Hotas and a TrackIR in combination with VR-glasses? That would create a tremendous immersion! In fact I can't understand, why they do not build an affordable VR-device. They could use two of those iPhone retina displays, or even better two OLEDs. Real 3d and headtracking... If this thing would cover the whole eyesight, we wouldn't need to build cockpits from wood or whatever. </Dreamtag off>

Vader
Posted By: Uriah

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/23/11 10:07 PM

Here is the site for the K 13 Joystick

http://www.valiant-studio.eu/tarmac/html/en/hangar.php
Posted By: Allaire

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/23/11 11:08 PM

Love the setup Warbirds. Is that a whole prop or just half of on?

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/24/11 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Allaire
Love the setup Warbirds. Is that a whole prop or just half of on?

Hi, the prop is only one third of a 3 blade.

Posted By: JimmyS1985

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/24/11 03:38 AM

Oldie, I should prolly take a new pic when I get a larger monitor. I can't stand the bezels on tri-monitor setups so I just went with a large 28" monitor, but I am looking into getting a 32"
Posted By: Schweppes

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/24/11 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Uriah
Here is the site for the K 13 Joystick

http://www.valiant-studio.eu/tarmac/html/en/hangar.php

Hey thanks Uriah! Do you have one of those yourself?
Posted By: Steven190

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/24/11 06:57 PM

Uriah is correct, it is a Tarmac

Sorry it took me awhile to reply, I work out of town and only see the forum every once and awhile
Posted By: Uriah

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/24/11 10:30 PM

No, but I got to sit in Steven's cockpit and play the game with that stick. There really is nothing like having a stick that long. It gives you much greater fine control. Steven gave me the web site.

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/24/11 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Warbirds

I have wrist problems from years of doing this so I looked for the slickest surface posible and found this great super slick cutting board at Walmart. Best mouse pad I ever had and it was about 3 bucks. Just wish it had been in black but white seems to work better with optical mice.

I hear ya.... While back I was comparing glass cutting boards vs glass mousepads, price diffrence was huge!!

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/24/11 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: JimmyS1985

Oldie, I should prolly take a new pic when I get a larger monitor. I can't stand the bezels on tri-monitor setups so I just went with a large 28" monitor, but I am looking into getting a 32"

Can you tell us little bit about the box you got sitting on your desk?

Also, what is the resolution of your 28in monitor?
Posted By: Chaz

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/25/11 06:27 AM

Specs in my sig.
Posted By: MilesTeg

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/26/11 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: ArgonV
No COD yet! (On order from Amazon) Here's my rig before I got the Thrustmaster MFDs:

I still need to program them and set up the templates for my modern sims...

Wow, what are you using to secure your HOTAS to the arm rests of your chair? I'd love to do that with my Cougar.

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/26/11 01:52 PM

They are chair mounts by Interface Dynamics, which sadly are no longer around. It's a platform with a pole on a swivel joint that is metal banded around the front of the arm rest. Then velcro straps to secure the HOTAS to the platform.

Here are the Logitech speakers and the mount I built and painted from some housing frame joints:

The cables for the speaker and HOTAS that I have running off on the left side to the PC:

We just got into a new place, and I've got my own study/PC room now. It's coming together, so here's a more recent pic:

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 05/28/11 03:07 PM

Argon, very nice computer room. Rear speaker setup is great!
Posted By: Bard

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/04/11 07:14 PM

PC is hidden inside the side (with exhaust fans and air ducts) - the seat is mounted on a hollow wooden box that contains a home theatre sized buttkicker LFE. Don't have a touchscreen yet - haven't really needed it with the CH MFP's being present.
Posted By: Bearcat99

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/05/11 01:12 AM

My latest incarnation......

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/05/11 02:51 AM

Thanks for the pics Bard and Bear - those are some nice setups.
Posted By: DocW

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/05/11 08:03 AM

Very nice setups, pretty impressive.
Argon, you are clearly the type one enters your room and knows immediately what your hobby is ...
I am thinking of pimping my spartan, hard wooden Sim chair seeing all this.

Michael

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/06/11 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: DocW
Argon, you are clearly the type one enters your room and knows immediately what your hobby is ...
I am thinking of pimping my spartan, hard wooden Sim chair seeing all this.

thumbsup
Posted By: VA_Deacon

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/10/11 10:33 AM

My Obutto arrived on Tuesday...would definitely recommend one to anyone serious about flight sims. I'm just waiting for the active adapter to arrive from Amazon today and will have Eyefinity set up and the 3 monitors working.

As an aside, this was a birthday gift from my gf...she might be a keeper clapping

Posted By: Valisk_61

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/10/11 12:32 PM

Awesome setup Deacon! You've got all the best toys there! smile

I'm torn between a triple monitor setup like yours or adding a second projector to my existing one and building a curved screen. I think space will be the limiting factor.

My very much 'work in progress' pit:

Build thread here: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3072205/Generic_pit_build.html#Post3072205
Posted By: VA_Deacon

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/11/11 11:10 AM

Valisk,

That looks awesome! Post more when it's done m8!
Posted By: BodyBag

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/11/11 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Ajay

He won, she got the kids and he got the cockpit... WinkNGrin

Cheers,
Posted By: topgum49

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/11/11 07:48 PM

Hello there,
I am the first time here and I like the idea very much to show us each other our "HomeBirds" and I appreciate really what I saw in here. So, up to me, I proudly present my "StealthBoard"

everything is looking "normal", apart from the Saitekrudders

but then, a thrustmaster 16.00o pops up

ooops, Quadrant and Belkin gamepad, I wouldn't like to miss it

In function now: A modified cyborg-gold as elevator trim

Projector at six o'clock high and TIR on 12 o'clock low - allright for Chocs away!

Posted By: DocW

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/17/11 06:28 AM

Hm, nobody reacts to this ? What a shame, really... so I will, though I am no cockpit aficionado owning just a wooden chair modified with some planks and having only one small monitor.

Welcome to SimHQ and congrats to your 007 Sim Gear. Most impressive, indeed.
Best of all, your thing looks completely unintrusive and does not ruin the living room.
Well done. Thx for sharing that.

Michael.

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/17/11 02:21 PM

Hey that's really cool topgum49!

VA_Deacon, a really purpose-built solution! Love it. biggrin

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/17/11 04:27 PM

Love the stealth setup! I can't help but hear transformer-like sound-effects as each picture progresses. smile
Posted By: Wayner506

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/18/11 01:18 PM

Simple setup but you got to love the Warthog smile
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/18/11 02:10 PM

You appear to have a very confused stormtrooper over to the left.. lol!
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/18/11 02:31 PM

Brilliant first post topgum biggrin That is classic.

Do you draw as well?
Posted By: -Avatar-

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/18/11 02:55 PM

After seeing some of these setups I'm having cockpit envy! biggrin Still using my Obutto (got one of the first runs release in the States) with some minor alterations and lvoing it.

Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/18/11 10:24 PM

Some great looking stuff in this thread. thumbsup

Wheels

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/18/11 11:06 PM

My cockpit at the moment - for those who have a MSSW2 joystick will see the sense of scale smile

I got fed up with being on the road (a lot) and not being able to play stuff so last week I expensed a 'dev laptop' with an i7 2.6, 16GB RAM, a GT540M 2GB, 256GB SSD.

It's hilariously small, i.e. a 11 inch display and weighs about 4lb! Can hold it with one hand when doing the airport security dance too. Not something I'd buy with my own money, but it's amazing how small/powerful these things are getting.

PS Apologies for the photo quality, but I thought it would be funny to show the wee beast in contrast with these great cockpits.

PPS Yes, it plays CoD well. It makes long flights go faster too. smile
Posted By: ATAG_Snapper

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/18/11 11:58 PM

Nice! And it works!

Any luck getting the joystick through security as carry-on? LOL

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/19/11 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Snapper
Nice! And it works!

Any luck getting the joystick through security as carry-on? LOL

Lol - confession time: I just use a PS3 controller when traveling. I put the joystick in the pic as a kind of 'Pickaxe Next To Yeti Footprint' scale guide.

It would be kind of funny to whip out the stick while on a real flight though - 'Stewardess, my yaw pitch is off, get the Captain!'. Plus the hand-luggage xray profile would get me marked on the deviants list I'm sure.. smile
Posted By: topgum49

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/19/11 01:37 PM

HI guys!
I reply from DocW's post, just to say thank you to all for your gorgerous coments & compliments! Though, I must say to FearlessFrog soundwise, my STEALTHBoard could be still improved, I'm just waiting for a soundmod, which can do that what is in FearlessFrog's ears - without getting banned on Steam ;-)
To ArgonV and VA_Deacon: The thing, I like most on realy good Simulations & SimGears are haptic aspects - But, like in Reality, you spend more time on the ground, to keep your engine in a good state, than flying around. So do I, by handycrafting in my workshop.
To Ajay: Yes, I am a painter, that's why don't have a pilot license, simply too much other things to do. Maybee, if Randy Roads, Bon Scott, have had a real good Sim like CoD or IL2, maybee they would be still allive? no, that's rubbish, Randy just was in the wrong plane :-(
Last but not least to Michael alias DocW:
In deed, with the OO7 Simgear, I was able to catch her, Wow- it works fantastic, thank U ,Q!

And you're right, it doesn't mess up the livingroom;-)
xxxtopgum
Posted By: FS_Phat

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/21/11 01:19 PM

Some really nice cockpits and setups here.
This is my effort, i just recently finished the computer upgrade. Completed over many months, waiting for parts and sometimes waiting for spare cash!
I have the X52 throttle now mounted to a camera tripod and I rest the joy stick on a mouse mat sitting on the computer when I wheel it out from the desk.

Posted By: f15sim

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/21/11 01:41 PM

Overkill. Ur doin it rite!

*laughs*

g.

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/21/11 01:44 PM

Holy sh*t mate!!! What do you have in that box?!?!?
Posted By: Wayner506

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/21/11 01:45 PM

Good God man!!!

It's like the bridge of the Enterprise!

There must be enough thrust from those fans that it wheels it's bloody self out!!!

Excellent thumbsup
Posted By: Biggles07

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/21/11 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: FS_Phat
Some really nice cockpits and setups here.
This is my effort, i just recently finished the computer upgrade. Completed over many months, waiting for parts and sometimes waiting for spare cash!
I have the X52 throttle now mounted to a camera tripod and I rest the joy stick on a mouse mat sitting on the computer when I wheel it out from the desk.

eek

*Scotty*

WE NEED MAIR DILITHIUM CRYSTALS CAP'N, MAIR POWER!!! I DINNAE KEN HOW LONG SHE CAN HOLD!!! *Necks bottle of Scotch in desperation as the Klingons attack*

What do you call that then, 'The Beast Rabban'? I wonder if its Turing capable and self aware. Does it talk to you and give free 'life coaching'? hahaha Looks a top rig mate. biggrin

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/21/11 02:17 PM

LOL Funny bloke. Actually I call it the borg cube.

I am Intel of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Here's the latest pics with joystick throttle on tripod.

Posted By: JAMF

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/21/11 09:15 PM

What type of case is that cube? It's not from Yeong-Yang, not the YY-0221 nor the YY-04x0.
Posted By: WynnTTr

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/22/11 12:02 AM

Holy crap FS_Phat. notworthy

That system is, well, just phat. I'd hate to drop a screw in there - you'd never find it. Or the family dog.

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/22/11 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: WynnTTr
Holy crap FS_Phat. notworthy

That system is, well, just phat. I'd hate to drop a screw in there - you'd never find it. Or the family dog.

By Odin's Beard, I could keep the cockpit I posted under his mouse, and he'd never find it!

Good set-up!

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 06/22/11 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: JAMF
What type of case is that cube? It's not from Yeong-Yang, not the YY-0221 nor the YY-04x0.

Its from the US, Mountain Mods Extended Ascension. $1000 au shipped to Australia, so not the cheapest case around. But it was the only case that would fit everything. I used to have this setup below with 2 cases with an externally connected water loop between them. Left one for computer and right one dedicated cooling case.

I had a baby coming so I had to consolidate everything down to a smaller space and keep it tidy as its now in sitting in the front dinning room as apposed to dedicated 'office'.

Posted By: Point Blank

Re: Show us your home 'cockpit' - 07/14/11 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Point Blank

55 inch.

Is that a Samsung 9000 series? I have one of those. Is there any input or display lag?
© 2024 SimHQ Forums