homepage

Great screenshots of the just-released OFF!

Posted By: FlyXwire

Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/18/05 07:24 PM

Panther_99FS posted these screenshots over on the Sim Outhouse forum from the just-released Over Flanders Fields mod to CFS3, and I thought they were worth sharing!

OFF is a blast!!!

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/18/05 07:43 PM

......and MORE!

Ok, enough of Panther's OFF screenshots........I'm gettin' back to the game myself........lol!!!
Posted By: McGonigle

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/18/05 08:04 PM

Everybody quit hogging those servers and lemme thru' ! \:D
Posted By: Razman23

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/18/05 08:18 PM

I got it downloaded within one hour, it took longer to install and patch it than the D/L.

I played one quick mission and all I can say is....

SCHWEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Heini von Seppel

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/18/05 08:42 PM

Thanks FlyXwire, these are indeed nice.
Only the explosion? looks a bit weird.

Hard to believe this outstanding quality is free.
Outstanding effort.

Have to ebay for CFS3 now!
Posted By: WingChaps

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/18/05 09:17 PM

How does the AI do flying these WWI aircraft?

So far WWII sims have had spotty success flying WWI mods. For instance, When I tried a WWI package for CFS2 the AI pilots did imitations of lawn darts...

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/18/05 10:33 PM

Chappy,

The AI does pretty good in OFF (no lawn darts as far as I've seen). Actually the flight modeling reminds me of what FS-WWI presented, which means critical angle of attack stalls aren't emphasized, and instead departures seem to occur mostly as a result of airspeed/energy loss.

I think much of this has to do with CFS3's WW2-type coding and the ability of the AI to (mis)handle pitching changes, which was exactly the problem we encountered when trying to get (more)real with the FS-WWI FMs.

OFF is very immersive in sight, sound, and feel, with the flight modeling varied enough to be rewarding to fly and fight, while dealing well with the basic limitations of grafting a WWI sim over a base-WW2 platform.

Actually, OFF is pretty impressive in this it's first "release", and to me the mod has a quality approaching an "out of the box" build.

What really excites me, is that OFF shows what a state of the art WWI sim could be like, and portends well for what is possible in this genre if the effort is really put into it!

In the meantime, all WWI flight sim fans should try OFF if their computer can handle running CFS3, because it is a good experience, especially since it's free! \:\)

(not a review here, as I've not put nearly enough time into flying OFF, but I'm convinced WWI fans will find it worthy of their time)
Posted By: Dantes

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/18/05 10:40 PM

Just to add, the CFS3 AI maneuvering seems to suit the older WW1 planes. You might be hard pressed to get them to act totally human but they are competitive.

The explosion in the earlier picture seems to be in the beginning stages. They are actually really well done with dirt kicking up, a shock radius, etc. The frontlines seem really active which gives a real sense of immersion.

Oh, and it seems multiplayer finally works wihout any evident hassles! That alone should keep the WW1 skies fast and furious. ;\)

S!

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/19/05 12:26 AM

Tried multiplayer out too Dantes.....worked darn good! \:\)
Posted By: WingChaps

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/19/05 12:31 AM

I'll give it this, the screenshots are phenominal!

Actually, already when the missus asked for Santa ideas, I offered CFS3 up with OFF in mind. So, it's in my future, one way or another. Thanks for the review, Fly!
Posted By: Tailgunner

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/19/05 08:06 PM

What is this...an FS:WW1 club here ;\)

Must admit, the pics are looking good. I always thought the CFS3 flame effects were WAy over the top for WW2...but they are just the job for WW1. As far as actually flying the thing goes .... I have about 11 hours still to wait!!!!
Posted By: ArgonV

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/19/05 09:35 PM

Indeed OFF is quite impressive!! \:D I've got it up and running here with no problems and I'm tweaking my CFS3 out. \:D Good job OFF team!!

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/19/05 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
What is this...an FS:WW1 club here ;\)
More of a FS-WWI--Richthofen Skies--OFF club here.
Posted By: Plainsman

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/19/05 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WingChaps:
How does the AI do flying these WWI aircraft?

So far WWII sims have had spotty success flying WWI mods. For instance, When I tried a WWI package for CFS2 the AI pilots did imitations of lawn darts...
Not fair to the WWI package. You're referring, of course, to the payware "Combat Aces." It's quite impressive actually. You can even fly dirigibles.

The A.I. lawn dart thingy is a carryover from the main CFS2.
Posted By: WidowmakerUK

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/20/05 11:23 PM

As a noob, please can you tell me how to take screenshots in OFF?
Thank you
Posted By: bzhyoyo

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/21/05 09:12 AM

There's a key for that : check the command attribution menu. Don't remember the stock setting as I changed it.

Or google for FRAPS, a free utility that comes very handy also to display fps.
Posted By: WidowmakerUK

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/21/05 09:26 AM

Thank you bzhyoyo
Posted By: Wing Chaps

Re: Great screenshots of the just-released OFF! - 12/21/05 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Plainsman:
Not fair to the WWI package. You're referring, of course, to the payware "Combat Aces." It's quite impressive actually. You can even fly dirigibles.

The A.I. lawn dart thingy is a carryover from the main CFS2.
Well, no, but then I wasn't asking about either package, I was asking whether CFS3's AI was better than CFS2's AI at flying WWI aircraft. I have that WWI CFS2 package, and I agree with you that it's nice looking, but what fun is there in it if enemy aircraft smack the ground before you can engage them? The guys behind the WWI mods for FS:SDOE fought that battle, and tweaked the aircraft to do the best they can with that WWII's AI, but in the end it's still a battle you have to fight.

So, I agree with you, but that's not the point. The point is whether CFS3's AI can fly the WWI aircraft well enough to make it fun. While I'd like to read more discussion of how people feel the AI does, I'm convinced that CFS3's AI is pretty good at flying WWI aircraft, at least the later (faster) ones. I read this morning with interest the note that CFS3's AI aircraft fly without bullet or petrol mass, and in WWI aircraft that will make a difference. And that should be addressed by the second release.

There is, of course, no doubt that the aircraft, scenery, effects, and setting are peerless!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums