homepage

Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman!

Posted By: Tailgunner

Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 12:11 PM

I deliberately put off buying this game when it first came out since the demo had my PC crying for mercy as it displayed a series of still pictures of me failing to fly an A10....

Now...with the PC a bit beefier....and LOMAC picked up for £9.99 secondhand..I figured I would be OK.

Nope.

I could really use some setup advice to get things running smoothly. I was getting some fairly unpleasant slowdowns in external view with just a single plane. Combat is not really an option like that!

I am well within the required spec, though my Gfx card is a bit ...er....marginal ;\)

Any hints on setup / patches / tweaks to get this thing running better ? It's pretty to look at...but I want to do more than look ;\)
Posted By: Plainsman

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 12:22 PM

Your graphics card is a piece of crap. That said, for the time being shut off "heat blur" in the options menu. Off! Off!

Set your res at 1024 x 768. Don't get greedy. And shut off anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering in your graphics card menu.

Your machine is as good as mine (except for your puny graphics card) and I get smooth frames in combat.
Posted By: Tom_Weiss

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 02:55 PM

Quote:
Your graphics card is a piece of crap
Ouch! that hurts!

His card is graphicaly-challenged , that is the proper term.

Unfortunately, you will need to get a better one, otherwise Lock On will stutter all the time.

Sorry.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 03:15 PM

Quote:
Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman!
This is by far the funniest topic title I've seen around here! \:D \:D \:D
Posted By: enigma6584

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 03:25 PM

Also, if you can afford it, try to get more RAM. 512MB is really just on the edge. You can run the game with this but it will run better with more.
Posted By: Tom_Weiss

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 06:32 PM

512 MB RDRAM helps a lot.
Posted By: Hunedog

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 06:35 PM

You are one 6600 GT & 512 Meg of more Ram away from flightsim nirvana. I'm running a A64 3200 with the above hardware and it's smooth as Butter. \:\) Only stuttering I get is when I accidently fly though a recently torn in half ground vehicle with THE GUN at my disposal. ;\) Trick is to stay above the shrapnel to avoid this effect. I run out of the box settings with Vehicle traffic checked @ 1024X768. no aa no af.

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 08:19 PM

Thanks for the tips ..... and yes...My graphics card IS crap! I know it....but the bank manager says no. So, for the short term, I am stuck with it.

I will got for the LOMAN option, plus tweak around with the settings some more. I will get this game going !!

In the meantime...I am putting all those spare pennies into a big jar labelled 'graphics card' At least if the game still stutters badly, I should have nearly enough saved by the time I complete the first mission ;\)
Posted By: Huey52

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 08:30 PM

Follow all of the graphics settings insight in Matt's v1.02 read me, especially staying at 1024x768x16, turning off mirrors, and going with low water quality. Despite being graphically challenged you can still get an acceptable experience.

ref: Root Lock On folder: read_me-102 TIPS ON INCREASING PERFORMANCE
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 09:20 PM

Wow Tail. You have an Athlon 64 coupled with a GF Ti 4200?

That's like Stephen Hawking and Mike Tyson trying to engage in a conversation. \:D
Posted By: Huey52

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 09:22 PM

LOL Exceedingly well said! \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by PanzerMeyer:
Wow Tail. You have an Athlon 64 coupled with a GF Ti 4200?

That's like Stephen Hawking and Mike Tyson trying to engage in a conversation.
Posted By: Davros

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 09:58 PM

i dont think your gfx card is that bad i know a few people playing lomac ok with geforce fx 5600's and yours is faster than those
Posted By: Joe

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 10:12 PM

The Ti 4200 is actually a wondeful card; it represents a dying example of what a good midrange card should be - a stripped-down version of the high-end, as opposed to a beefed up version of the low-end. At its release, the Ti 4200 offered a phenomenal performance/price ratio, a ratio that cannot be matched by today's midrange graphics cards.

Despite this, is is still underpowered for LOMAC, especially considering it is matched with an Athlon 64 - a clearly GPU-limited situation.

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/24/05 10:33 PM

Well...the old Ti4200 has been in the PC for around 2 1/2 years ... so I think it has done pretty well!

I have just recently upgraded the CPU from an old Athlon XP1700 with 512Mb of PC100 SDRAM..... but funds were limited, so I couldn't upgrade Gfx card as well. Some people advised me to invest the £250 on a Gfx card....but I knew I would have to do both really, and didn't fancy hitching a new card up to the old rig!

It's good to know I CAN get the game to run well enough....so, thanks for the pointers \:D

p.s. It was, of course, Mike Tyson who gave Prof. Hawking the idea about Unified Theory during one of their many afternoons strolling in the park, sipping tea and indulging in a little playful sparring........
Posted By: PFunk

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/25/05 12:28 AM

The Ti4200 was one of the best VGA chipsets ever released. It was cheaper than a Ti4600, and only marginally less powerful. I miss mine because nothing beat it in terms of compatibility.

pfunk

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/25/05 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparverius:
Get LOMAN. Start tweaking. (Read the thread at Ubi -- http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=38610606&m=247109315 ) Lower lots of sliders.

I run a P4 2.26GHz/512 MB RDRAM/GF4 Ti4200 64MB and get very playable performance at 1024x768 and it still looks amazing to me. No constant stutter at all, but FPS may drop to 10 occasionally when there's a lot of action going on. Usually I get 25+ FPS.
You also need a new vid card. Why do you still have that antique?
Posted By: Hitman IF

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/25/05 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Plainsman:
I've been managing with my old Gf3 Ti200 fairly well, and LOMAC is still a load of fun. I'm getting a Gf6600 now though, that sounds quite nice.

What's with all the hardware snobbery around here! :p

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/25/05 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hitman IF:
Quote:
I've been managing with my old Gf3 Ti200 fairly well, and LOMAC is still a load of fun. I'm getting a Gf6600 now though, that sounds quite nice.

Good question...

Plainsman, maybe he has that "antique" because it costs money to upgrade.
:rolleyes:

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/25/05 12:26 PM

Yup...thats why I still have it!

Here's the maths ;\)

Salary - (mortgage+bills+(food for wife and children))=0

In fact, there is also a second factor I forgot to add, -Christmas which has a negative effect on the overall equation at seasonal times ....

where Christmas=(what the wife wants)+(overinflated kids demands)+(alcohol)
Posted By: vmann

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/25/05 02:12 PM

In two weeks, I'll be posting a repaired or replaced 9800 pro 128mb for less than half of what a 6600gt goes for. Think about it, Tailgunner; you could STEAL a lousy hundred bucks. The wife would never know the difference.

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/25/05 03:56 PM

Sparverius, I hear you man. I have an RDram system and I've been stuck at 384mb of ram for over three years now.

At first, it didn't seem like a limitation but then LOMAC came around.... Now I'm in a position to spring for a new MB soon and it would be idiotic (imho) to shell out big bucks for some extra PC800 when I can put that money towards an AMD 64 motherboard.

I've upgraded my PSU and video card in preparation for the AMD board. My old Ti-4600 is sitting in a box now and I'll have to say I have a soft spot for that old card...for it's time, it did me right. \:\)
Posted By: Hunedog

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/25/05 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:

Here's the maths ;\)

In fact, there is also a second factor I forgot to add, -Christmas which has a negative effect on the overall equation at seasonal times ....

Hey Plainsman, he has Children as in Plural. Good enough excuse for ya? :p Works for me. \:\)
Posted By: Migkiller

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/25/05 08:01 PM

Well said Tailgunner, well said. I'm waiting to get out from under my holiday bills (and those &*%^*^heating bills) to buy an X800XT ATI card; but at over $500 I'll have to wait for a bit.

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/26/05 10:24 AM

Hey WOW!!! Just checked on E-bay...

Have you seen how much a Kidney is worth these days!!!!

Let me see..scalpel...check
ziplock plastic bag...check
ice....check

right...now lets hope the bids finish before it gets smelly ;\)
Posted By: Mr B

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/26/05 12:28 PM

Another peaceful day at the Tailgunner residence. Tailgunner has just returned home from work to be greated by his wife just inside the front door...

TG: Honey, there's something I've been thinking about for awhile now, but I, errr, ummm...

TGs Wife: What is it?

TG: Have you ever thought about seeing other people?

TGs Wife: What?! WHY?! I though we were getting along fine?! Tears start to form in Tailgunner's wife's eyes...

TG: Oh it's not you dear. I was just thinking of, well, selling my body you see, to raise a bit of extra cash.

TGs Wife: Sobbing now...But you don't make bad money at work! Are you losing your job?!

TG: Oh no, nothing like that, I just need a new graphics card for LOMAC.

TGs Wife: Tears are now replaced by a pump-action shotgun...WHAT

TG: Well, you see, the guys at SimHQ said it was kinda old, and I've been getting a lot of stutters lately, so...

*BANG*

Hang in there Tailgunner. Framerates are important, until they cost you your life \:D .

Cheers

Mr B
Posted By: vegasbob

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/26/05 11:21 PM

my specs:
athlon 64 3000+
512 mb pc3200 ddr
radeon 9700 pro

I found the vid card on ebay for $120. Lomac runs well at 1024 x 768 with most settings on medium and heat blur is on. Check ebay for vid cards, lots of deals.

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/27/05 03:18 AM

Guys, I have a pretty good system, 2.58 processor, 1g of ramm, and a 128 mb ati 6800xt vid card. Been running Lomac at 1132x856 (or what ever that setting is) with no problems.
Installed the 5.1 drivers. What a mistake! Both FB and Lomac are stuttering on me, no matter what settings I set them to. Any body else with this problem? I can't seem to go back to my old 4.11 drivers, so I'm stuck! Help!!!

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/27/05 03:25 AM

Uh...make that a 9600xt vid card.

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/27/05 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hunedog:
Quote:

Here's the maths ;\)

Hey Plainsman, he has Children as in Plural. Good enough excuse for ya? :p Works for me. \:\)
He could eliminate the alchohol and scale back the kids demands. I did. It works. Then he'll have money for a decent vid card. Quit the boozing!

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/27/05 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hitman IF:
Quote:

I'm not being snobbish! I have a 1.8GHz, P4! Only 512MB of RDRAM. When you have an old machine like me and can't afford a new one you should at least have a decent vid card. That's all I'm saying. No one in this day and age should be running a 64mb, pre-DX9 vid card. Especially when their PC is newer and better than my antique. What's the matter with those guys?

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/27/05 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bucemi:
I can't seem to go back to my old 4.11 drivers, so I'm stuck! Help!!!
You could do a system restore...

But you shouldn't have to. There is a utility in one of your ATI folders called "AtiCimUn". Search for it and run it; it will uninstall all ATI software from your system. Then, reboot, allow Windows to load a generic VGA driver, and install 4.11.

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/27/05 10:42 AM

In my case Plainsman, up until about 6 weeks ago, I had an antique computer AND an antique pre-DX9 vid card. I also had £200 to spend.

Now....I could have bought a reasonable vid card, not top flight, but good midrange. Then, it would have been shackled to an Athlon XP1700 and 512Mb of PC100 SDRAM and the mobo only supported AGP 4x. This would have struggled....

And give up drink...my god..are you mad sir! That way lies reality.....

Re: Holy Stutuutttuuttuuttuttutua stustustustu sttering Batman! - 01/28/05 12:44 PM

Quote:
In my case Plainsman, up until about 6 weeks ago, I had an antique computer AND an antique pre-DX9 vid card. I also had £200 to spend.

Now....I could have bought a reasonable vid card, not top flight, but good midrange. Then, it would have been shackled to an Athlon XP1700 and 512Mb of PC100 SDRAM and the mobo only supported AGP 4x. This would have struggled....

And give up drink...my god..are you mad sir! That way lies reality.....
Give up the devil's brew, my friend, and you'll be a better man. I neither smoke nor drink and feel fit enough to knock out Vitaly Klitschko!

If you give up the devil's brew and you'll have more money in your pocket for a better vid card. You should bury that Geforce 4 in the backyard today.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums