homepage

Operation Desert Storm

Posted By: Heretic

Operation Desert Storm - 05/16/13 08:49 AM

Just an ODS appreciation thread, nothing more.

There's so many things to do and planes to fly. Really, really nice.

...and difficult as crap if you pick the wrong aircraft and unit.

Iraqi Air Force, MiG-23 - Ate a Phoenix and a Sparrow at about five minutes in.

USAF, F-16 Block 40 - Got sent to Baghdad in my first mission, lost my wingman to a SAM. Got sent to Baghdad again in my second mission and kicked the bucket due to a SAM.

USMC, F/A-18C - Stationed in no-man's land with Kuwait to the northwest and the iraqi border to the north. Just about four SA-8s in the sector, all eliminated for target practice on the return from missions. Very easy.

I also like how the IAF still takes to the air mission after mission despite being next to slaughtered. The A2A kill ratio is something like 15:1. What a courageous (and stupid) bunch. Hats off.

Regardlessly, here's two quick questions:

I suppose that the LGBs in this version work the usual way, i.e. mount target pod, load LGB, select target with "e", drop LGB at appropriate time, wait, boom.
If so, what are the "(Dumb)" versions for? Planes without targeting pods? Having LGBs loaded for the sake of it?

Also, anyone successfully managed to employ HARMs on a day-to-day basis?
The sneaky buggers in the radar vans never paint me (long enough) for me to return the favor, so the missiles are mostly dead weight (and SEAD is accordingly done with Rockeyes).
Posted By: damson

Re: Operation Desert Storm - 05/16/13 03:33 PM

The "dumb" versions of LGB's are for AI wingmen, so they can mimic your loadout while still being able to hit targets (they can't use guided bombs properly).
Posted By: specialksl

Re: Operation Desert Storm - 05/16/13 06:34 PM

Where do I get this mod?
Posted By: specialksl

Re: Operation Desert Storm - 05/16/13 08:23 PM

NM, I got it.
Posted By: Heretic

Re: Operation Desert Storm - 05/16/13 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: damson
The "dumb" versions of LGB's are for AI wingmen, so they can mimic your loadout while still being able to hit targets (they can't use guided bombs properly).

Very insightful, thanks!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums