homepage

return to EAW but problem

Posted By: olddog

return to EAW but problem - 12/03/18 08:14 PM

Hi been a long long time away from EAW one of the first sims I played and fell in love with.

So it was time now as I am in my mid 70s to reinstall EAW.

I installed UAW160 part 1 and ran the exe it loaded the menu was scrambled and flickered but I could just see it clicked fly now and game crashed not to desk top, tried setting the screen res in ini and still crash's have not installed part 2.

Running windows 7 64 bit no problem with other sims even have another old fav Crimson Skies working and CFS2, Janes WW2 Fighters, old games for a old guy.

Would love to see me old fav EAW any ideas.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/03/18 08:53 PM

Old Dog I had the same troubles but found out I needed to set up a single mission first and after that the quick missions worked..hell I'm a kid at 69 and it all works for me..i'm sure more knowledgeable folks will be along to help you out but try creating a mission first
Posted By: VonBeerhofen

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/03/18 10:33 PM

Hi olddog,

Perhaps you should try running EAWPRO available here (50MB):

https://eaw.neocities.org/eaw-fxexe-patches.html

The EAWPRO addon is a NoCD/NoOS version and works like the old addons. It requires a FULL install of the original CD or preferrably a copy of the CD onto your drive. All which is needed is to extract the .ZIP into your gamefolder (where the EAW.EXE resides) and allow overwrites. There's no need to run the game prior to that as all upgrades up to version v1.2 and an EAW.INI are included. Don't run setup.exe as it creates registry entries which only make things unnecessary hard.

Ofcourse you still have to assign your stick preferences and set an appropiate screen resolution in the EAW.INI. HDMI is the highest tested resolution but XVGA may also work fine, just make sure you select something which your videocard can set as desktop resolution.

Should you encounter a 7217 error, which ever version you try, you'll need to additionally install a Glide wrapper of some sort. Most people here seem to use the D3D WINDOWER program but there's more info on that at Mark EAW's helpsite here:

https://eaw.neocities.org/

He also hosts an unmodded v1.2 NoCD/NoOS version of EAW. Visiting his website may help in determining what options you have and how to set things up. Hope this information is of some help, good luck!

VonBeerhofen
Posted By: MarkEAW

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/03/18 11:26 PM

Heres a corrected link for EAWPRO info and links to downloads.

https://eaw.neocities.org/fxexe-patches.html

(several links changed from when i re did the site. I dropped the eaw- part on most of them)

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/03/18 11:51 PM

rwatson thanks for the reply no luck there.

VonBeerhofen Thanks I have a orignal copy of EAW it would not install so I copied the files of the disc unziped EAWPRO into the folder as you state it ran the same as UAW160 part 1 it crashed.

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/04/18 12:32 AM

I'd start with no eaw.ini file, let the game generate a new one., then exit from the main menu and edit the eaw.ini from notepad to set your res.

What type of controllers do you have connected to your computer?

Does it CTD or with an error code?

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/04/18 12:45 AM

Also, did you reboot after either install?

VBH

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/04/18 01:08 AM

If hes just copying and pasting the files on Win7 he doesn't need to reboot like the olden days. Hes not replacing system files, EAW is almost portable.

But maybe you have something that says otherwise.

What I'm trying to determine is if the Compatibility is being set under Win7 or if its user error (such as setting the shortcut to run in compatibility mode) etc...which you dont want to do.

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/04/18 09:12 AM

1 joystick Thrustmaster 16000m fcs (new) works perfect

2 Have let EAW make a new INI. Also have tried editing it..

3 Have tried the compatibilty with XP and others.

4 Have tried the reboot after install (should be no need)

5. Do's Not Crash to desk top have no error code,

6 Have not used a short cut to launch game run game from folder.

7 My card is a GTX 1060 3 GB, wINDOWS 7 64 BIT up to date.

Thanks for your help guys look like I will have to miss this one. Have spent a lot of time trieing to get it to work.

EDIT
I forgot to say my monitor is LG and the display runs 2560X1080, i also have CH Rudder pedals.

Now I Dissconected the rudder pedals and have just the Thrustmaster joystick and set the res in ini to 1920X1080 and the game runs BUT it will not see the keyboard or the joystick in the config game settings all the settings are to the right on Keyboard and I cannot change them I deleted the ini and restarted EAW but still not seeing any keyboard or joystick.

I will try my Microsoft Joystick.

Sorry to go on guys thank you for help.

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/04/18 11:01 AM

EAW needs to see your joystick as the first gaming device in the list, when it's not recognised swapping ports usually helps. The EAW.INI has a joystick entry, see if it helps when the value is changed. It's under:

WindowsJoystick=X where X can be 0 or 1.

The fact that you can not edit the key controls seems to suggest that your keyboard is not recognised. Gaming keyboards are recognised as a gaming device but as the game tries to asign continuous controllers to the keyboard it fails because it only sees switches. I solved that issue by installing the keyboard as a normal (none gaming) keyboard by switching off the extra drivers. Ofcourse a standard PS2 keyboard should work fine, the game has no problems with standard USB keyboards but like with gaming devices swapping ports may help.

Hang in there olddog, you're pretty close to making it work.

VonBeerhofen
Posted By: MrJelly

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/04/18 11:05 AM

I installed UAW160 part 1 and ran the exe it loaded the menu was scrambled and flickered

Let's go back to square one and fix things one at a time.

I made the installer when I was 76, and I have windows 7 on one of my HDDs which runs it.
I get a bit of screen flicker and stuttery mouse movements in Win 7 because the 7217 error workaround in the 1.28 and later exes kicks in.
I get a map screen that is impossible to use.
So the simplest solution is to use the "d3dwindower" program and launch eaw using it.
It gives clear menu screens and displays the map screen properly.

d3dwindower download

The only windower setting you need is to have the screen width and height set to zero. That forces the windower to display the selection screens in 1024x768, and the game in whatever resolution is set in the eaw.ini file. That needs to be less than the monitor maximum to allow for a border around the window and I suggest that you try 1024x768 in the eaw.ini just as a trial. Then you can change it when you get things working.

wink Jel

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/04/18 07:16 PM

I am sorry guys for taking up your time it was very kind of you to try and help me but you see I have had no luck so I have taken all EAW off my PC for now, having lock ups having to CTRL+ALT+DEL so many times and not working every time.

Of all the old sims I have tried EAW beat me. No fool like a old fool.

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/04/18 11:20 PM

Hmm, sorry olddog. Not many people have these serious of issues with EAW. but they do have issues running EAW however.

Hope you try again some other time, you can PM if you need too.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/05/18 12:19 AM

olddog, don’t be so quick to give up on our old girl.

We have some amazingly talented fellows here who can work wonders.
Posted By: SkyHigh

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/05/18 08:19 AM

Olddog, would you consider investing in a cheap joystick, such as a Speedlink PhantomHawk or somesuch? I know you say you have tried your Microsoft one, but these are fairly obsolete.

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/05/18 09:08 AM

Thank you SkyHigh for your offer of a joystick at the moment I have a new THRUSTMASTER 16000M FCS it replaced a SAITEK X52 PRO that I used for years I do have a MICROSOFT SIDEWINDER and it works ok the Microsoft was the one that was out when EAW was released so I do not think it is the joystick I also have a pair of CH rudder pedals. Thank you again.

Oldgrogmard I will from time to time give EAW a go in fact I have it working using 3D3 WIDOWER but it looks not very good on a wide screen. I will report back so nice that many are so helpful how could I give up it was just that I had spent so much time when I retired I thought I would have so much time but time seems to fly the older one gets.
Posted By: MrJelly

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/05/18 10:18 AM

3D3 WIDOWER but it looks not very good on a wide screen

What settings for width and height do you have on the windower?

This is mine running in Windows 7 with the eaw.ini set to 1680x1050 so that the window just fits on the 1920x1080 monitor screen:

[Linked Image]

In the windower configuration the height and width need to be set to zero.

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/05/18 08:03 PM

Hi MrJelly (you have been here a long time) the Windower in options / common both width and hight are set to 0 my monitors default res is 2560 X 1080 it is a wide screen

Please can you tell me what should I ticked in the following -

1 COMMON
2 WINDOW MODE
3 FOR GROUND
4 DIRECT INPUT

At the moment it is set at the default as installed, I start EAW by right clicking and click run but I can not use Esc to exit EAW I have to use CTRL +ALT+DEL.

Sorry to go on but is there a way of blending the horizon sky to land better at the moment I see a sharp line were the land meets the sky I dont remember my EAW being like that all them years ago.
Posted By: SkyHigh

Re: return to EAW but problem - 12/05/18 10:12 PM

Your memory is correct. The sharp demarcation between land and sky is due to the absence of 'horizon fog' in d3d when using nVidia graphics cards. I have the same myself, but prefer d3d, so I mask it partly by using a hill file that makes the hoizon less obvious.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums