homepage

Thinking of finally going VR

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Thinking of finally going VR - 05/15/23 10:40 AM

I started looking at the different models out there for VR headsets and I think I'm leaning towards getting an Oculus set but I will do some more research for sure before I make the significant financial investment. Right now these are the games I have which support VR:

Elite Dangerous
IL-2 Great Battles
DCS World

Which other VR games are people here playing?
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/15/23 11:12 AM

IL2/DCS are 95% of my VR experience. A little bit of driving simulation too.

I would not discourage you from Oculus as my Quest 2 has been great, but Quest 3 is only a few months away. I don't know exactly how much improved it will be over Q2 but it's something to think about.

Also your CPU/GPU plays a big role in how your VR experience will be, especially in DCS.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/15/23 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4
IL2/DCS are 95% of my VR experience. A little bit of driving simulation too.

I would not discourage you from Oculus as my Quest 2 has been great, but Quest 3 is only a few months away. I don't know exactly how much improved it will be over Q2 but it's something to think about.

Also your CPU/GPU plays a big role in how your VR experience will be, especially in DCS.

Thanks! I'll read on the Quest 3 and see what I find.

As for GPU/CPU I'm running an Nvidia 3090 and an AMD X5900 so I'm good to go.
Posted By: mikew

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/15/23 11:54 AM

Have you tried VR?

I have the original Vive, then a HP Reverb2, but they basically just sit on the shelf.
The HP is better in most things being a few years newer, but as it's WMR based, a misplaced controller button press will get to the Microsoft store in the middle of your game. Valve, Facebook and Microsoft really don't want you using the other's ecosystems.

DCS and Elite Dangerous are wonderful in VR, but I get mild 'reverse motion sickness' on any moving vehicle, since I'm sitting still.
I find the best games are those designed for VR, like 'Job Simulator' etc, or experiences like 'Apollo 11'.
There's probably some 'adult' market that I'm missing, but I've got 'VR Paradise' in my Steam collection, and the technology has some way to go.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/15/23 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by mikew
Have you tried VR?

I've seen many demonstration videos of it but I myself have not actually used a VR headset. I know some people complain that it feels uncomfortable and that they just can't get used to it. Perhaps it would be wise for me to find a demonstration model at some store first before I decide to buy one.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/15/23 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Perhaps it would be wise for me to find a demonstration model at some store first before I decide to buy one.

Yep. I've never had a problem but some do.
Posted By: wormfood

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/15/23 01:16 PM

If you go with the Oculus Dirt Rally works in VR as well. It can work in other sets, but you have to download some hacks to get it to work. I've set it up, but never really played it. I don't get motion sick on any vehicles or have problems with VR in most games, but the idea of bouncing around a rally track churns my stomach just thinking about it for some reason.

The F1 games also work well in VR. As does Microsoft's Flight Sim 2020.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/15/23 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by wormfood

The F1 games also work well in VR. As does Microsoft's Flight Sim 2020.

I don’t play MSFS but thanks for reminding me about the Codemasters F1 racing sims. I’ve been playing those for many years.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 01:13 AM

I just happened to have an email from Oculus today and in part it reminded me of this great little VR experience, you have to try it: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2164469606967296/

Even if you don't go with Oculus, there is a Steam version that works with any (I believe) VR headset. It really is a stunning experience

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 10:30 AM

I also want to try that Half Life 2 prequel "Alyx" which is VR ONLY.
Posted By: Allen

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 11:02 AM

Three or four years ago, I paid about $800 for what was supposedly the best VR headset (at the time).

I used it for a few days and sent it back for a refund. It did much right, but the image quality was not perfect in every respect.

I want perfect.

I assume I'll try again at some point. For example, I'm playing Fallout 4 and I've already bought and installed the VR version ("Fallout 4 VR").

Thus, reading the detailed outcome of your experiments and the "final grade" you give any VR set will be interesting. smile

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 11:07 AM

Thanks Allen for your encouragement! I also had no idea that there was a VR version of Fallout 4. Is it official from Bethesda or is it modded?
Posted By: mikew

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 11:18 AM

I've avoided Oculus because of the Facebook link, and my earlier post might have seemed a bit negative but I don't regret buying the stuff, because:
1. I can afford it
2. There are moments where VR is just magical.

I'm just not that into it to want to have that thing on my head for more than a few minutes at a time.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by mikew

I'm just not that into it to want to have that thing on my head for more than a few minutes at a time.

This is really the main reason why I need to try out a demonstration model before I make my decision. I would be using VR primarily for combat flight sims where missions often can last 45 minutes or longer.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 12:02 PM

There is no longer any Facebook requirement for Oculus (Meta)

Headset weight is not an issue for me, it's certainly lighter than a motorcycle helmet.

In the summer it can get a little warm on your face, simple and highly effective solution is a small desktop fan.

"Perfection" is a long way off and will cost thousands for the headset and for the PC capable of driving it. Perfection also doesn't exist with monitors and never will.

VR immersion even with the resolution deficit compared to 4k monitors is well worth it and game changing. I have not flown in a non VR mode in at least 2 years, it has zero attraction to me.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 12:45 PM

There's also Alien Isolation in VR.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 12:51 PM

There's also Alien Isolation in VR.

Thanks. I completely forgot about that one so I'll be reinstalling it if I do indeed get a VR set.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 04:28 PM

Thanks Allen for your encouragement! I also had no idea that there was a VR version of Fallout 4. Is it official from Bethesda or is it modded?

I bought it from Steam. The Steam store page says both developed and sold by Bethesda. It came out in 2017. I bought it more recently on special sale.
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 04:36 PM

My concern for VR in combat flight sims would be button-pushing. I have the Thrustmaster Warthog setup so that would give me some good controls without having to see what I was pushing, but I also have the MFD buttons and Simgears ICP, and I really like that interface to the controls, not having to point-and-click on the screen, building up muscle memory, etc.

Does anyone have any input (no pun intended) on using the MFDs and other buttons in the F-16, F/A-18, etc., when using VR?

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Arthonon

Does anyone have any input (no pun intended) on using the MFDs and other buttons in the F-16, F/A-18, etc., when using VR?

I do it via mouse
Posted By: NimRud

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 05:03 PM

Just bought the Quest 2. It is my second headset after the Oculus CV1 which I bought in 2018 and loved using for driving- and flightsims.

The new Quest 2 is a real gamechanger for me because I can use it witout any cables attached to a PC. Not a problem if you´re sitting in a "cockpit" setup though.

But using it for games like virtual golf, where you can happily move and swing freely without worrying about the cables is just another experience.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 05:28 PM

My concern for VR in combat flight sims would be button-pushing. I have the Thrustmaster Warthog setup so that would give me some good controls without having to see what I was pushing, but I also have the MFD buttons and Simgears ICP, and I really like that interface to the controls, not having to point-and-click on the screen, building up muscle memory, etc.

You might want to look into an Augmented Reality setup, such as the NReal Air glasses.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 05:31 PM

We're still probably at least 5 years away from the point where the majority of major games titles are developed from the ground up for VR, but I'm already at the point where I'm not really interested in playing first person games on a screen anymore.

Once they get the controls and movement schemes figured out it'll be a wrap.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 05:34 PM

Either use a mouse or learn muscle memory on where those buttons actually are.
Unless you got a home 1:1 cockpit setup, then just fly and flaunt it.
Posted By: James McKenzie-Smith

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 06:20 PM

IL-2 works well, quite a few racing games work well (I mostly us Raceroom Racing Experience), plus there are some gems here and there in the FPS and other action categories. There are some good sports games, like Thrill of the Fight (which can be a serious workout), Creed, and NFL Pro Era.

For those wondering about input, as F4UDash4 says, the mouse still works in clickable cockpits. You also will find a HOTAS to be useful, and remember voice command programs like VoiceBot, especially for things like comms. Even in racing games it's a good thing, as you can call the pits or spotters etc..

VR is quite amazing, and you can experience things that you just can't on flat screens. Actually checking your six while flying, finding yourself ducking behind your instruments while someone in a 109 breaks the glass on your Mustang, nailing the apexes in an open wheeler because you can actually truly see what you are doing, trading paint in tin tops, shutting your eyes to block out the sight of some terrifyingly huge monster looking for you as you hide, these are all things that are just different in VR.

I'll give you an example of something that happened in a game of Onward recently. During a gunfight on a street in some dusty town, brought my weapon up to nail someone...empty mag. Actually physically dropped to the ground behind a Jersey barrier, dropping my M4 in the process, and crawled into better cover...then had to pop smoke and crawl back for my rifle, did a fast reload while hugging the dirt, and then blindly dumped the whole mag over the barrier with one trigger pull (and hit a guy coming into the smoke!). I just never experienced that mix of panic and muscle memory in old school flat screen FPS games.

As noted by others, the Quest2 is excellent, although best tethered for long sessions in flight or driving games. If you are only going to be doing simming, then a surprisingly good last generation headset is the Samsung Odyssey+, which has the same resolution as vastly more expensive HTC stuff, and good inside out tracking and no base stations. Some dude is selling one in Miami here:

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/vgm/d/miami-samsung-hmd-vr/7618904924.html

Let us know how you get on!

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 07:02 PM

Thanks for that very informative post James!

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/16/23 08:34 PM

And thanks to those who replied to my questions as well, much appreciated!
Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/17/23 01:15 AM

In DCS, I have the Thrustmaster MFD's that are mounted about where they look to be in the actual cockpit, so finding them is intuitive. I've added a small tactile dot to the center button of each side of the MFD to help out as well.
I can also use my hand controller to flip switches and stuff in the cockpit, I don't find it to be much of a hassle tbh. I also recently picked up an Elgato Stream Deck and use it as the F-18's UFC. It seems to work pretty well. Again, tactile dots on specific keys.
I don't personally find it cumbersome or awkward, and as others have said - the immersion is outstanding! And, as others have said, I have no interest in flying flatscreen after tasting VR.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/17/23 02:53 AM

My problem with current VR offerings is that no one (that I am aware of) makes a headset that is optimized for flight sims / driving sims. Everyone is concentrating on virtual world socializing and mixed reality. Things like facial expression / body tracking and pass through video are meaningless to flying/driving sims.

My ideal VR headset would be:

1- optimized for resolution and field of view
2 - eye tracking with foveated rendering
3 - no pass through video of any kind
4 - no onboard game storage
5 - no wireless capability, must be connected to PC via cable (not an issue for sit down sims)
6 - no audio, I prefer to use my headset

Such a headset should be cheaper to make by eliminating un-needed features and concentrating on the features important to sit down simulations. Or taking the Quest 2 as an example for the same $400 price tag a headset that eliminated my items 3-6 and took the savings from those items and put it toward 1 and 2 would better suite the needs of a flight sim user.
Posted By: The Nephilim

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/17/23 03:00 AM

well what is your Budget F4UDash4?? there are a few meeting those requirements I am thinking maybe checkout the pimax 8KX or 12kX?? Maybe even the varjo..

the main thing I see here from my experience is having the GPU Horesepower especially with DCS. I had gotten a 3070RTX and it is still underpowered for DCS 2.8 MT. I found it runs best and still looks decent with about 50% Resolutuion in OpenXR.. I prefer FPS over visual beauty but would loved if I had gotten that 3090 for not much more then I got the 3070 for but that shipped sailed and I am stuck with this 3070..

I can say what you see when you look at VR as it is very subjective but I could play with the lower rez and still think itlooks good, I seen some guys run @300% and still complain it looks crappy LOL!! it is a very subjective thing. but if possible and you have a friend who has one or even if you could go to a store and get a demo if it then you will have a better idea of what you like because it is a very subjective item..

Posted By: DM

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/18/23 08:53 AM

For flight simming, VR is OK for immersion sessions, but I still prefer TrackIR for more serious sessions. I tend to do 50-50 between the two, I have a good time in both.

Main issue with cockpit-based gaming is really that in VR you are getting a 3D cockpit, and everything outside is too far away to appreciate the 3D-ness of it. Other than just "that stuff is far away and this stuff is near". Basically anything outside of your cockpit is a very far away 2D render.

It's different for driving/racing games however, these games are ideal for VR, you have your vehicle around you, and all the stuff outside is very near to you so you get a full sense of a 3D environment. Nearby cars, road surface, corner markers etc are all in "human appreciable " 3D and of course you're sitting in a chair with a wheels + pedals + gear shift and this lines up exactly with what you see in-game. Even if you don't really like racing games I suggest trying it out for the high levels of immersion it gives you, I can recommend Project Cars 2 (NOT 3) as it's cheap, lots of content (from ordinary cars through high powered street cars, racing cars, F1-style racing cars, rally, carts, boatloads of tracks, all the weather setup you could want etc), and very good. Avoid the most recent one.

Of course, Alyx represents the gold standard for "normal" VR gameplay. I highly suggest that one, you won't need any others unless you decide it's for you.

Other than that, games like Pistol Whip are just good fun, and will give you a workout.

Google Earth is very good too, and free.

As for the hardware, I have the HP Reverb G2, I'm VERY happy with it. The headset is sharp & clear, the sound is an off-the-ear setup that I really like (and was surprised by how excellent it really is), the controllers are OK, nothing good nothing bad. Inside-out tracking so you don't need "lighthouse" type external tracking devices.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/20/23 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Nephilim
well what is your Budget F4UDash4?? there are a few meeting those requirements I am thinking maybe checkout the pimax 8KX or 12kX?? Maybe even the varjo..

Well that's the problem, those are $1500-$2000 headsets (but I did just get a $300 off coupon offer from Varjo). My point is that my $400 headset has things (passthrough video, internal storage/cpu, wireless, audio) that I paid for that I don't really need and that I would trade their value (say $150) toward better resolution, wider FOV. But such a $400 headset doesn't exist. Not that $400 is my absolute upper limit but the concept holds true if we're talking about a $600 or $800 or $1000 headset... all of them are going to have these "frills" (to me) that I would prefer to trade toward features I do want (res/fov/foviate). But I'm just a niche (VR) of a niche (flight sims) so I understand that is why no one makes the headset I would prefer.

Anywho....

PM, just to make your decision process tougher biggrin something new:

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/21/23 05:41 AM

Well that's the problem, those are $1500-$2000 headsets (but I did just get a $300 off coupon offer from Varjo). My point is that my $400 headset has things (passthrough video, internal storage/cpu, wireless, audio) that I paid for that I don't really need and that I would trade their value (say $150) toward better resolution, wider FOV. But such a $400 headset doesn't exist. Not that $400 is my absolute upper limit but the concept holds true if we're talking about a $600 or $800 or $1000 headset... all of them are going to have these "frills" (to me) that I would prefer to trade toward features I do want (res/fov/foviate). But I'm just a niche (VR) of a niche (flight sims) so I understand that is why no one makes the headset I would prefer.

Anywho....

PM, just to make your decision process tougher biggrin something new:

That's cool stuff, thanks for posting!

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/21/23 10:42 AM

Useful thread.

Relevant to a couple recent posts:

I'm "all about" full wrap around field of view at perfect (for my eyes) resolution in all use cases. Other features are very secondary or tertiary. Price is a factor; but, I expect to "pay for it".

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/21/23 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Allen
Useful thread.

Relevant to a couple recent posts:

I'm "all about" full wrap around field of view at perfect (for my eyes) resolution in all use cases. Other features are very secondary or tertiary. Price is a factor; but, I expect to "pay for it".

I get that, I do, but what I will say about that is this. Before I got my eventual VR (I tried a few before settling) I had the same concerns: that I need a wide FoV with great resolution. Now, I agree about the resolution, that hasn't changed and my current headset meets that requirement.

But as for FoV... I will say that if HP bring out a much wider FoV with no dropoff in resolution I will buy it. But pragmatically, the current one I have I simply am not aware of the restriction. It's all about how engaged I am in the experience, if I'm having a good time in VR I really don't notice any FoV restriction at all. In my VR sessions I have never once come out of it and wished I had a wider FoV, it simply did not enter my thoughts while I was playing. I'm pretty sure that I could go into a game and deliberately notice that restriction, but it would be a conscious effort for that purpose, and I'd perhaps wish there were more, but in my normal VR sessions I simply do not register it at all. I notice clarity & smoothness.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/21/23 11:53 AM

My Quest 2 has a rated FOV of 97 degrees. Now it isn't something that is always at the front of my mind while flying but when I need to see back over my shoulder... it's real obvious how restrictive it is. Rather than just turning my head as far as is comfortable then turning my eyes to see over my shoulder I instead have to rotate my entire body in the direction I want to see. The effort to see 30-45 degrees back past my shoulder in VR is as much or more as turning to see directly behind me in "real life". And at 60 years old I don't bend as easily as I once did.

I could easily use at least another 10 degrees per side of additional horizontal FOV in such situations, 20 per side would be enough to make me never complain about FOV again. Maybe wink

Just found an EXCELLENT website for VR comparison: https://vr-compare.com/compare?h1=H...08-j&h4=HdfjN_0UlPY&h5=pDTZ02PkT

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/21/23 02:43 PM

Just found an EXCELLENT website for VR comparison: https://vr-compare.com/compare?h1=H...08-j&h4=HdfjN_0UlPY&h5=pDTZ02PkT

Nice find!!! thumbsup

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/21/23 04:48 PM

Yes! Nice link.

I bought (and returned) a Pimax in late 2019.

I see they are still #1 (by some measures) in the linked article.

In particular the wide field of view (important to me). The one I bought had that. But the images were imperfect (to my eyes).

The newer top rated one has much higher resolution than the one I bought. But, my issue was not just about raw resolution -- there was more to it (hard to describe).

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 05/22/23 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by CyBerkut

Nice find!!! thumbsup

Thanks F4U. I'll be checking this link out today.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/02/23 11:37 AM

Pico 4 vs HP G2

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/13xufvb/pico_4_vs_hp_reverb_g2_mini_review/

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/08/23 10:06 AM

Quest 3 128gb will cost $499. Better resolution than Quest 2, possibly better FOV

Quest 2 128gb price has been reduced to it's original price: $299!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXEWrantx6I

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/09/23 02:34 AM

PM, something to work toward:

https://youtu.be/xhjtrWb_3qQ

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/09/23 10:33 AM

PM, something to work toward:

https://youtu.be/xhjtrWb_3qQ

Excellent! I'll check this out. smile
Posted By: Rumpelhardt

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/09/23 06:34 PM

I have a Reverb G2. My Driving sims are VR only. MSFS is VR for most planes. DCS is only on my monitor.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/18/23 11:25 AM

If someone isn't in a hurry, this technology might be worth waiting for:

Human vision FOV - Hypervision

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/18/23 12:02 PM

If someone isn't in a hurry, this technology might be worth waiting for:

Human vision FOV - Hypervision

That looks:
1 - Awesome!
2 - Expensive!
3 - like it would need a pair of 4090's running in SLI! wink

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/19/23 11:38 AM

The peripheral displays are not as demanding as the forward view displays are, from what was said... so maybe not a terrible processing load.

Things are getting interesting!

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/19/23 04:41 PM

The peripheral displays are not as demanding as the forward view displays are, from what was said... so maybe not a terrible processing load.

Things are getting interesting!

True!

I'm planning a major PC build hopefully in the next 12-18 months along with an upgrade from my Quest 2 headset. Lots to consider.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/19/23 05:09 PM

That hyper FOV is pretty wild.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/20/23 03:16 PM

Oculus Quest 2 vs Quest 3: What can you get with a new Quest?

Sounds good but not quite enough for me to upgrade from my Q2

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/20/23 08:16 PM

Nice comparison of the Quest 2 and the upcoming Quest 3!

Will definitely upgrade to the newer model next year. If you add the costs of more comfortable head straps + a better face cover + prescription lenses that is quite an investment though.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/20/23 09:01 PM

I purchased the below for my Q2, it makes it a bit more comfortable.... not that it was uncomfortable without it though. Very cheap

https://a.co/d/auWuF0z
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/20/23 09:28 PM

People with VR and glasses, how has that worked out? Do you use lens inserts or squish your glasses inside?

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/20/23 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ajay
People with VR and glasses, how has that worked out? Do you use lens inserts or squish your glasses inside?

I wear contacts. I believe most headsets have a way to make room for glasses and/or there are inserts available.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/20/23 11:39 PM

Using prescription lense inserts with my Quest 2 and before with my CV1.Much more comfortable than wearing glasses.

Though it works reasonably welll with the Quest if you you use the standard glasses spacer on your face cover and add somekind of silicon lens cover to prevent direct conctact between displays and glasses.
Posted By: Hentzau

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/21/23 03:54 AM

They(probably the manufacturers) say that headsets can't permanently change the shape of your skull, but then you think of those Asian chicks who wrap their feet. hmm?
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/21/23 10:00 AM

Cheers all smile

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/21/23 10:40 AM

I have bookmarked this thread for reference for when I buy my first VR headset at the end of this year or next year. Thanks again for all the info.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 06/25/23 05:09 PM

I would have liked to have seen a 50% increase in resolution between generations of headset but 30% is maybe okay

Meta Quest 3 will have nearly 30% higher resolution than Quest 2

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 07/07/23 02:58 PM

Further on down the road...

I Wore the Future With a Brain-Connected AR-VR Headset

Destined to dominate in DCS... but you'll have to think in russian. wink

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 07/07/23 03:01 PM

I find it quite interesting that a movie in 1982 was already exploring the possibilities of telepathically-controlled aircraft systems. I can't think of any other movie that portrayed that before Firefox.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 07/07/23 03:25 PM

I find it quite interesting that a movie in 1982 was already exploring the possibilities of telepathically-controlled aircraft systems. I can't think of any other movie that portrayed that before Firefox.

I can't think of one either.

Back in '73 / '74 I did a report for Advanced Biology class on Biofeedback. My, how things have changed!

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 07/07/23 07:06 PM

Flight of the Navigator in '78. Might not count because it involves aliens kidnapping a kid and using his brain to run their navigation systems.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 07/20/23 11:57 AM

Didn't expect this

Meta cancels Quest Pro, work on Quest Pro 2 stoppe

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 07/28/23 05:40 PM

I am planning a serious new PC build, aimed primarily at VR, within the next 8-12 months. Sometime shortly thereafter I also plan to update my VR headset (currently Quest 2).

I am giving serious consideration to making a big leap in price range, and right now the Pimax Crystal is in the lead for my VR $$$.

PM, take a look and see what you think:

https://youtu.be/7UtaECiuczs

https://youtu.be/6HWpJdr0e9g

https://youtu.be/2zvAVYY76VE

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 07/28/23 06:08 PM

That F-18 vs. MiG-29 dogfight looked stunning! Maybe I will go VR sooner rather than later.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 07/28/23 07:36 PM

That F-18 vs. MiG-29 dogfight looked stunning! Maybe I will go VR sooner rather than later.

Remember these videos, as most VR videos, are of the desktop mirror image NOT the actual headset video. There are "through the lens" recordings of various headsets which give a better idea of actual headset clarity.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 09/21/23 01:37 PM

This headset just became a contender for my next HMD:

High-end VR headset Varjo Aero is now available for half the price

NOT a limited time deal, this is a permanent price cut.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 09/21/23 05:52 PM

This headset just became a contender for my next HMD:

High-end VR headset Varjo Aero is now available for half the price

NOT a limited time deal, this is a permanent price cut.

This fellow really likes the Bigscreen Beyond for simming:

As I understand it, both the Varjo Aero and Bigscreen Beyond depend upon having, or obtaining, the Valve locator beacons and hand controllers. The PiMax Crystal has inside-out tracking.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 09/21/23 06:14 PM

Yes both the Varjo Aero and Bigscreen Beyond require Steam VR base stations for tracking. Of those 2, and based solely on reviews by others, I believed I would prefer the Aero. Great resolution and very good FOV. And my understanding is that for seated flight siming one base station is adequate for tracking, which adds about $150 to the cost.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 09/22/23 02:18 PM

This guy has used pretty much all HMD available. Here are a couple of his videos on the Varjo Aero and Big Screen Beyond, note the Aero video is 5 months old so some things have changed (the price and he's tried the Pimax Crystal since) but if you check his latest videos I believe he still ranks the Varjo Aero as best overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJuHhKXJTzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyz-G27bfEQ

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 09/23/23 11:12 AM

Another good video comparing the Aero and Crystal

I wasn't aware that Aero did NOT support AMD GPU's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vK45iQYP4

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 09/25/23 07:58 PM

Pimax releasing a discounted Crystal specifically for simmers:

https://pimax.com/pimax-launches-cr...tions-no-controllers-updated-appearance/

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 01/16/24 12:57 PM

I have recently updated my MB/CPU/RAM and plan on a new GPU (will also have to update power supply at that time) later this year and I have also decided (95%) on the Quest 3 as my new HMD later this year.

So I was quute excited to see this:

https://youtu.be/tpTEwMso-IE?si=C8CRxMe2KOz6XOVH

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 01/16/24 12:59 PM

I have no idea how to make the YouTube links, provided by YouTube phone app via "share", to work inbedded.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 01/16/24 03:33 PM

I have no idea how to make the YouTube links, provided by YouTube phone app via "share", to work inbedded.

You almost had it. Don't include the question mark. Fixed it for you.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 01/16/24 03:50 PM

You almost had it. Don't include the question mark. Fixed it for you.

Thanks!

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/10/24 11:15 AM

Camelcamelcamel alerted me to Amazon having the Quest 3 at 5% off this morning and once I checked on that deal I saw a third party Amazon dealer that had one at 12% off so I ordered that one.

Meta Quest 3 128Gb https://a.co/d/augFKj8

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/10/24 11:17 AM

Thanks for that link F4U. I think I'll be ready to pull the trigger on a VR set within a couple of weeks.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/10/24 12:22 PM

Thanks for that link F4U. I think I'll be ready to pull the trigger on a VR set within a couple of weeks.

If you do, I'll be very interested in what you pick, why you pick, and how it works in practice.

As previously mentioned, a few years back I bought $800 VR set -- and sent them back for a refund -- VR was not "there yet".

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/10/24 12:49 PM

Q3 will be my third VR headset. Started out with an original Oculus Rift in 2017, Quest 2 in 2022. Quest 2 was big leap in clarity over the Rift and by the numbers Quest 3 is "only" 30% better resolution than the Quest 2 but people who have used both say that is a big difference in actual use. In part, I'm sure, because the raw numbers don't take into account the vastly improved Quest 3 lenses.

I highly recommend VR to anyone into flight sims, I've not flown a "pancake" sim in years. Doing so holds zero interest for me now.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/10/24 02:06 PM

A pancake sim! Yes! That is what the gaming world needs. winkngrin

[Linked Image]

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/10/24 02:09 PM

Eh why not? We've had games where you get to play as a cat, games where you get to play as a sanitation/garbage truck driver and games where you play as a goat. wink

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/10/24 02:10 PM

biggrin

Youse guys.....

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/10/24 04:05 PM

Eh why not? We've had games where you get to play as a cat, games where you get to play as a sanitation/garbage truck driver and games where you play as a goat. wink

And a game where you play as bread, so why not a pancake?

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/10/24 04:24 PM

You stumped me on that one! I've never heard of a game where you play as bread.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/10/24 05:26 PM

You stumped me on that one! I've never heard of a game where you play as bread.

I Am Bread https://store.steampowered.com/app/327890/I_Am_Bread/
You play as a slice of bread.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/10/24 05:46 PM

I Am Bread https://store.steampowered.com/app/327890/I_Am_Bread/
You play as a slice of bread.

Oh man! I'll have to check it out! Maybe it makes full use of ray tracing and DLSS 3.0!

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/12/24 09:13 PM

Quick report on the Q3.

Definitely an improvement over the Q2. I've only used it in DCS thus far but I can see and read everything in my cockpit without using any zoom keys, except maybe some small obscure hydraulic pressure gauge that is closer to my feet than my head. I flew a mission I have created in the Marianas that has all my aircraft in it where I can practice everything like carrier ops and aerial tanking and when I launched from the boat I looked over and saw Guam some 40+ miles away, I'd never been able to see the island from the carrier immediately at mission start like that before. At altitude everything in the distance is much crisper. I could pick up the carrier at 21+ miles without any icons and the escort DDG's at 15 miles. The color passthrough is very nice, when I put the headset on and started setting it up I was walking around the room, finding things, reading my cellphone etc through the passthrough almost as clearly as if the headset wasn't there.

The change from Q2 to Q3 was not as big a leap as from Rift to Q2 but that's just because the Q2 was/is so good and the Rift was 5 years old when I went to the Q2.

This is pure speculation but based on watching many reviews of all VR headsets but I would guess the Q3 at $500 list price represents 75% or more of the quality of the $1500 Pimax Crystal. As such it's really a bargain. But of course the Q3 wouldn't have been much good to me if I hadn't also just (a couple months back) spent $800 on a 4070 Ti Super (which is about 75% of the quality of a 4090 at half the price)

Overall I am pleased and should be set for at least another 5 years as long as the Q3 continues to function.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/13/24 12:23 PM

Quick report on the Q3.

thumbsup Good information!
Posted By: archermav

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/13/24 01:44 PM

I've recently bought a Pico 3 neo link. Running it with a 7800xt. Very underwhelmed in DCS. Forgotten battles is waaaaaaaay better in VR. Wondering if it's worth upgrading the headset/GPU but I'm not convinced either way.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/13/24 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by archermav
I've recently bought a Pico 3 neo link. Running it with a 7800xt. Very underwhelmed in DCS. Forgotten battles is waaaaaaaay better in VR. Wondering if it's worth upgrading the headset/GPU but I'm not convinced either way.

Did you mean "IL2 Great Battles" or has someone actually gotten "IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles" working in VR?
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/14/24 01:22 AM

Q3 will be my third VR headset. Started out with an original Oculus Rift in 2017, Quest 2 in 2022. Quest 2 was big leap in clarity over the Rift and by the numbers Quest 3 is "only" 30% better resolution than the Quest 2 but people who have used both say that is a big difference in actual use. In part, I'm sure, because the raw numbers don't take into account the vastly improved Quest 3 lenses.

I highly recommend VR to anyone into flight sims, I've not flown a "pancake" sim in years. Doing so holds zero interest for me now.

I've seen strong recommendations for VR with car sims/games too.

VR was something I decided long ago to not "be a beta tester" for. Been there and done that way too many times for way too many things.

This thread is making me think it's time to get into it...

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/14/24 01:39 AM

I have a few VR driving games and yes it's an entirely different experience in VR compared to a monitor
Posted By: archermav

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/14/24 12:16 PM

Did you mean "IL2 Great Battles" or has someone actually gotten "IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles" working in VR?

Sorry, my mistake. It's Battle of Stalingrad/Bodenplatte.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/14/24 12:20 PM

Sorry, my mistake. It's Battle of Stalingrad/Bodenplatte.

Yes the entire "Great Battles" series is much easier on the GPU/CPU than DCS is. But if you have the system to run it DCS looks much better too. With my current system I can pretty much max out "Great Battles" graphics settings but not DCS.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/16/24 11:50 AM

jawdrop

The Pimax Crystal Super is about to revolutionize VR gaming

Of course one would need this too...

Nvidia RTX 5090 and 5080 could be here much sooner than expected

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/16/24 04:04 PM

The Pimax has me interested. But, not near "mind made up".

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/17/24 02:06 AM

The Pimax Crystal light looks interesting and for me the price has me pondering..

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/17/24 02:16 AM

The Pimax Crystal light looks interesting and for me the price has me pondering..

It almost seems as if Pimax read my post.....

My problem with current VR offerings is that no one (that I am aware of) makes a headset that is optimized for flight sims / driving sims. Everyone is concentrating on virtual world socializing and mixed reality. Things like facial expression / body tracking and pass through video are meaningless to flying/driving sims.

5 - no wireless capability, must be connected to PC via cable (not an issue for sit down sims)

Such a headset should be cheaper to make by eliminating un-needed features and concentrating on the features important to sit down simulations. Or taking the Quest 2 as an example for the same $400 price tag a headset that eliminated my items 3-6 and took the savings from those items and put it toward 1 and 2 would better suite the needs of a flight sim user.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/17/24 03:05 AM

It almost seems as if Pimax read my post.....

Well looks like the only thing missing for you is the eye tracking; here is the list of features from the Pimax website:

Features:
–Ultra-sharp 2880 x 2880 resolution per eye;
–Glass aspheric lenses with a large sweet spot;
–35 PPD for super clear vision;
–Variable refresh rate (60Hz, 72Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz) provides smooth gameplay;
–Manually adjustable IPD (58-72mm);
–Foveated Rendering: Fixed 2.0;
–Easy setup with inside-out tracking or expand with Lighthouse tracking;
–Audio: interchangeable 3.5mm jack, 2x microphone.

I was wondering if those optional addon speakers Pimax sells will work on this headset?

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/17/24 09:39 AM

Well looks like the only thing missing for you is the eye tracking; here is the list of features from the Pimax website:

True but foveated rendering without eye tracking is almost as good.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/17/24 06:55 PM

Yes I almost pulled the trigger on it last night but not yet.. I will wait a while..

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/17/24 07:17 PM

Yes I almost pulled the trigger on it last night but not yet.. I will wait a while..

If I had not bought the Q3 a week ago I would be seriously looking at it, the light version

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/18/24 01:32 AM

If I had not bought the Q3 a week ago I would be seriously looking at it, the light version

Well it is on hold for me as I just checked and nobody seems to have the prescription lenses for the Crystal Light. One company had the lenses for the Crystal but not the Wide FOV Lenses which I think the crystal uses?.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/18/24 01:56 AM

Well it is on hold for me as I just checked and nobody seems to have the prescription lenses for the Crystal Light. One company had the lenses for the Crystal but not the Wide FOV Lenses which I think the crystal uses?.

I wear contacts wink

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/18/24 02:23 AM

I wear contacts wink

How does that work out with using VR? Do you get dry eye more when using VR and the contacts?

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/18/24 09:06 AM

How does that work out with using VR? Do you get dry eye more when using VR and the contacts?

Not that I have noticed

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/18/24 10:19 AM

One thing to consider with the Crystal Light is you also have to have the Lighthouse trackers, it has no internal tracking capability. So that's another $200 or so

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/18/24 05:25 PM

One thing to consider with the Crystal Light is you also have to have the Lighthouse trackers, it has no internal tracking capability. So that's another $200 or so

That is not what I read. let me go look smile

No neither the Crystal or Crystal light requires the light house and both have inside out tracking. but if you want more accurate tracking you can add an optional lighthouse..

Attached picture Pimax Crystal light.jpg

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/18/24 05:36 PM

No neither the Crystal or Crystal light requires the light house and both have inside out tracking. but if you want more accurate tracking you can add an optional lighthouse..

Yep, I forgot about Lighthouse being optional.

But it does make me wonder about the quality of the inside out tracking, if it's default tracking were as good as that on my Quest 2 or Quest 3 there would be zero need for a Lighthouse option.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/18/24 09:29 PM

But it does make me wonder about the quality of the inside out tracking, if it's default tracking were as good as that on my Quest 2 or Quest 3 there would be zero need for a Lighthouse option.

Well if it is as good as the G2 it should be pretty decent at Least I hope it will be. never had any issues with the tracking with the g2..

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/18/24 10:13 PM

Well if it is as good as the G2 it should be pretty decent at Least I hope it will be. never had any issues with the tracking with the g2..

Nor have I.

But to reiterate my point IF the Crystals inside out tracking were as good as a G2 there would be no need for the lighthouse addon. And the fact that people are paying $200 for that addon tells me that the Crystal needs it.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/19/24 08:00 AM

I might suggest that the optional lighthouse would be beneficial for tracking handheld controllers when they go outside the comfortable camera angles. I often find this with archery, or some activity that requires me to look one direction while trying to hold something the opposite direction.

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/21/24 04:55 AM

Well after some thought I do think I am going to try and get the Crystal light.. I might wait until it is officially released to get a better idea about it and some of the features like the light dimming.. I do know I should get one when it is released.. but I am not going to preorder..

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/22/24 12:59 PM

Well after some thought I do think I am going to try and get the Crystal light.. I might wait until it is officially released to get a better idea about it and some of the features like the light dimming.. I do know I should get one when it is released.. but I am not going to preorder..

When is release?

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/22/24 09:50 PM

When is release?

I just checked the pimax website but it was all in Chinese?? Translator broke?? but I think I remember it saying around may 24th is when it will start being shipped to the preorders.

EDIT: I just looked back at the Pimax website and did not see any official word perhaps it was a sweviver video that stated that date.. I guess we will find out soon enough. it will give me some time to save some pennies for the order..

Re: Thinking of finally going VR - 04/25/24 03:16 PM

Oculus/Meta just announced that they are going to start licensing their VR software to other manufacturers. This could be HUGE. Other companies like Pimax can concentrate on hardware, headets should get significantly cheaper in a few years.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...em-third-party-device-makers-2024-04-22/
© 2024 SimHQ Forums