homepage

Most famous sports athlete by country?

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 10:43 AM

Who would you say is the single most famous and well known sports athlete for your country? An athlete which has become so iconic that even people who don't follow the sport know who they are?

For my country I'd say it has to be Babe Ruth.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 12:49 PM

Roger Bannister maybe? First 4 minute mile.
Posted By: DBond

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 12:54 PM

USA I'd say it's Tiger Woods.

No disrespect to Mr Bannister, but I can't imagine it's him. Not so long ago Gareth Bale was the most famous British sportsman if we include the isles and not only England.

For the English I'll say David Beckham or maybe Lewis Hamilton.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 01:01 PM

Yeah, I was going to add some more sportsmen/women of more note. As far as I'm aware that's all he did so probably not the most famous in that respect.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by DBond

I'll have to kindly disagree with you on this one. It's my firm belief that very few Americans will remember who Tiger Woods was 50 years from now while Babe Ruth will still be remembered.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 01:15 PM

I think the question also has a timeliness factor to it. In the 70s Bannister was a household name, but I'm judging it based on today.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I'll have to kindly disagree with you on this one. It's my firm belief that very few Americans will remember who Tiger Woods was 50 years from now while Babe Ruth will still be remembered.

OK, but the question was who is most famous, not who will be remembered in 50 years. Different questions I think.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 01:37 PM

Will Tiger Woods be remembered for his golf or his other 'shenanigans'?

Any names I add will be from the era when I was interested in sport so you are right DBond. Names like Seb Coe, Steve Davis and Frank Bruno are more likely to appear. Apart from Snooker, I have zero interest in modern sport.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chucky
Will Tiger Woods be remembered for his golf or his other 'shenanigans'?

I would strongly argue the latter especially since his peak of success in golf was well over 10 years ago.
Posted By: Wigean

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 02:07 PM

Norway I`d say Grete Waitz.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wigean
Norway I`d say Grete Waitz.

I just read her Wiki page. She had so many amazing accomplishments indeed!
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 03:10 PM

Who would you say is the single most famous and well known sports athlete for your country? An athlete which has become so iconic that even people who don't follow the sport know who they are?

For my country I'd say it has to be Babe Ruth.

by country ? for every country its Pele. the only person who didnt hear about him was here at simhq.
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 03:43 PM

For the US, I would say Muhammad Ali. He was famous worldwide.
Canada it would probably be Wayne Gretzky.
England, maybe David Beckham ? I could be way off base here.
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 04:31 PM

I wonder if "most famous" could have different meanings, and by that I mean inside the country vs globally. For example, maybe people in one country know a certain athlete, maybe historical to their nation, but people outside that country know of another. I think Babe Ruth might be a good example - most people in the US know the name, but I'm not sure if he's as well known outside the US, whereas Muhammad Ali, as WangoTango points out, was famous worldwide.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 04:37 PM

but was ali famous worldwide inside the ring or for his fight outside it ? i think its the later honestly. most people never even saw a match of him. and boxe is not a popular sport, never been.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Arthonon
I wonder if "most famous" could have different meanings, and by that I mean inside the country vs globally. For example, maybe people in one country know a certain athlete, maybe historical to their nation, but people outside that country know of another. I think Babe Ruth might be a good example - most people in the US know the name, but I'm not sure if he's as well known outside the US, whereas Muhammad Ali, as WangoTango points out, was famous worldwide.

Both Pele and Ali no doubt had worldwide fame but the point of my post was to see which athletes were considered to be the most iconic/famous for individual countries so hence my thread title. This is why I found the post from Wigean to be quite interesting because based on what I read on her WIKI page I could clearly see why she is an icon in Norway.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
but was ali famous worldwide inside the ring or for his fight outside it ? i think its the later honestly. most people never even saw a match of him. and boxe is not a popular sport, never been.

It might be the later, for those that never saw him fight. Ali is more famous for his skill, than dodging Vietnam. True many did not see him fight, but it was a different time. TV broadcasts were not at our fingertips, in an instant like now.
To this day, people consider him the greatest heavyweight of all time.
Posted By: RossUK

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 05:29 PM

Mike Tyson is easily the best heavyweight boxer of all time. In his prime he would of destroyed Ali in round one or two at best. He couldn't defend the initial onslaught of Tyson.

Argentina = Messi

Brazil = Ronaldo

Germany = Schumacher

UK = Ronnie O'Sullivan, wild card there but the best snooker player ever.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by RossUK
Mike Tyson is easily the best heavyweight boxer of all time. In his prime he would of destroyed Ali in round one or two at best. He couldn't defend the initial onslaught of Tyson.

Argentina = Messi

Brazil = Ronaldo

Germany = Schumacher

who the hell is ronaldo ? do you want to be dragged in the streets ? AFTER the king just died? also just so you know there are two ronaldos (gaucho aka ronaldinho, and nazaro aka fenomeno) so wich one do you mean.
also does sport media abroad also use nicknames or is this a brazilian thing ?
Posted By: mikew

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 05:41 PM

Unfortunately, being good at sport is not enough, and some other angle is needed for true fame.

This guy should be the most famous British sportsman with this 'Ripping Yarns' biography.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Woosnam

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 05:43 PM

Argentina = Messi

Brazil = Ronaldo

Germany = Schumacher

I agree about Tyson. I should have said "many" people consider him the greatest heavyweight of all time.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 05:44 PM

Oh, it's definitely not just a Brazilian thing. smile

A few examples:

"The Rainbow Warrior" - Jeff Gordon

"A-Rod" - Alex Rodriguez

"El Papi" - David Ortiz

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by mikew
Unfortunately, being good at sport is not enough, and some other angle is needed for true fame.

This guy should be the most famous British sportsman with this 'Ripping Yarns' biography.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Woosnam

Wow, very talented man.
Posted By: RossUK

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 06:09 PM

Argentina = Messi

Brazil = Ronaldo

Germany = Schumacher

who the hell is ronaldo ? do you want to be dragged in the streets ? AFTER the king just died? also just so you know there are two ronaldos (gaucho aka ronaldinho, and nazaro aka fenomeno) so wich one do you mean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronaldo_%28Brazilian_footballer%29?wprov=sfla1

This one.

Though Ronaldinho was superb too.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/29/23 06:28 PM

i think ronaldinho played more than ronaldo, who had more fame than anything.
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 12:34 AM

Is Arnold an athlete?

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Is Arnold an athlete?

Good question. If golfers can be considered athletes, a bodybuilder should be.I would says yes. That covers Austria.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 01:31 AM

Tyson struggled against elite "outside" fighters, and your're not going to find too many outside fighters in any era who was better than Ali.

Ali was also a master at mind games and would have a foeld day toying totally triggering the mentally unstable Tyson.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 02:02 AM

Is Arnold an athlete?

bodybuilding has an association, and competition, so yes. its an sport and the competitors are athletes not models. though some people diverge because of the use of steroids

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 02:29 AM

Is Arnold an athlete?

bodybuilding has an association, and competition, so yes. its an sport and the competitors are athletes not models. though some people diverge because of the use of steroids

Great points.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter

Tyson struggled against elite "outside" fighters, and your're not going to find too many outside fighters in any era who was better than Ali.

Ali was also a master at mind games and would have a foeld day toying totally triggering the mentally unstable Tyson.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If only it could have happened.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chucky
Roger Bannister maybe? First 4 minute mile.

Showing yer age there Chuck smile
Of course the answer would also have a generational aspect to it.
Most mentioned in my younger days was a racing driver. When stopped for speeding, Rozzers would ask the offender: "'Oo do yoo think you are then Sunshine, Stirling Moss?"
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 11:05 AM

Australia, Don Bradman, easily.

World sport context

Wisden hailed Bradman as "the greatest phenomenon in the history of cricket, indeed in the history of all ball games". Statistician Charles Davis analysed the statistics for several prominent sportsmen by comparing the number of standard deviations that they stand above the mean for their sport. The top performers in his selected sports are:

Athlete Sport Statistic Standard deviations
Bradman Cricket Batting average 4.4
Pelé Football Goals per game 3.7
Ty Cobb Baseball Batting average 3.6
Jack Nicklaus Golf Major titles 3.5
Michael Jordan Basketball Points per game 3.4

The statistics show that "no other athlete dominates an international sport to the extent that Bradman does cricket". In order to post a similarly dominant career statistic as Bradman, a baseball batter would need a career batting average of .392, while a basketball player would need to score an average of 43.0 points per game over their career. The respective records are .366 and 30.1

Bradman's career Test batting average of 99.94 has been claimed by Brett Hutchins to be the greatest achievement by a sportsman in a major sport.

For America it has to be Tyson, not as great as Ali and probably would have got done by a prime Larry Holmes, Lennox and possibly even Foreman and Smokin' Joe. Dude was magic for a few years and left a massive impression though. Still a huge name and talking point. One of the greatest what ifs in any sport.

Peter Brock would be up there for us Aussies as well, King of the Mountain, Bathurst. Iconic name in motor racing and Aussie high performance road cars. Think Richard Petty and give him an Aussie accent.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 11:30 AM

Not a pro athlete but Terry Fox in Canada. Over 60 countries have one day cancer fundraiser runs named after him.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Not a pro athlete but Terry Fox in Canada. Over 60 countries have one day cancer fundraiser runs named after him.

Good one KK. He ran a marathon a day, for 143 days, with one leg. Unfortunately cancer ended his goal. Possibly more a hero than an athlete.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: wormfood

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 05:15 PM

My flippant answer is Rocky Balboa.

20 or 30 years ago I would have said Michael Jordan.

Problem is they kinda come and go and get forgotten. These days, maybe Tom Brady.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by wormfood

Problem is they kinda come and go and get forgotten. .

That's a valid point. I would be most curious to see a poll of Americans under the age of 25 who are asked if they know who Babe Ruth, Bill Russell and Jim Brown are.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ajay

im not saying this because im brazilian buuuut. a lot of people foreigners and new generation compare pele to messi and neymar for goals. there is a huge difference, pele made the most goals in less matches than both of them.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ajay

im not saying this because im brazilian buuuut. a lot of people foreigners and new generation compare pele to messi and neymar for goals. there is a huge difference, pele made the most goals in less matches than both of them.

incredible stat, for a low scoring sport.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by WangoTango

incredible stat, fo a low scoring sport.

It would be, but that's not what you are seeing. That is standard deviation the author of the study used to compare athletes of different sports. Pele averaged just under one goal per game throughout his career in all competitions.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 06:31 PM

That's a claim that is generous to Pele, and anyway, of his 1200-odd goals he is credited for, 757 came in competitive matches. Both Ronaldo and Messi have more in competitive matches (club and country). So do Bican and Romario for that matter.

Those extra 500 goals came in all sorts of games, including exhibitions, testimonials and friendlies, and most observers (and FIFA) consider 757 his tally. For what it's worth the man himself claims 1,283.

So while there is room for arguing that Pele is the all-time high scorer, some, including me, consider Ronaldo to be the all-time goal scoring leader. I'm not saying Blade is wrong, but that he is using a very loose definition that few others use.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 10:09 PM

incredible stat, fo a low scoring sport.

It would be, but that's not what you are seeing. That is standard deviation the author of the study used to compare athletes of different sports. Pele averaged just under one goal per game throughout his career in all competitions.

Still very good for football. It's impossible to compare different sports, and come to a definite, absolute conclusion. SimHQ is a very international collection of members. I get that the majority of the world does not understand hockey (I hate saying ice hockey). But I have talked to guys from the UK, when on vacation. They say hockey is a girls game (field hockey) I say football is boring. The highlights never look impressive to me, the net is so d@mn big. Cricket ? I have no clue, but in some parts of the world, it is the major sport. I have watched some Rugby recently, now those are some tough MF'ers. I do not know the rules, but I think I could get into it. The NFL, I might care if Toronto had a team.
Canada, USA, Russia, Czech, Slovak and the Nordic countries, hockey is extremely popular. Probably due to climate, we had to find a way to stay warm, and release our pent up anger.
Different generations will have varied opinions too.
One thing for sure, I am glad for sports. It is the real reality TV.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 10:11 PM

Running, everyone can do that right ?

Wayne Gretzky vs Björn Borg vs Pele vs Sugar Ray Leonard in 1982 RUN 60m DASH. I have no idea of the variance in age here.

Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 10:18 PM

Tom Brady - USA

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 11:11 PM

Some parts of the USA would say Dale Earnhardt. Some would say Jordan.
Rocky Marciano 49–0–0
Floyd Mayweather Jr. 50–0–0
both deserve mention.
Very debatable topic.

BTW, I did not show the video of the race because a hockey player won.
Despite the fact Wayne Gretzky grew up around the corner from my Grandparents. My Aunt went to high school with him.
I was never a Gretzky fan. He had mafia like protection on the ice. Nobody was more sheltered from the physical aspect of hockey.
I never liked that. Guys today, like Crosby take constant abuse, crosschecking to the back. Wayne did not have that.

And if anyone wants to come at me and say Crosby is a cry baby.....yes he was, when he 18 and 19 years old. He stopped that sh*t. You still think he's a baby ? I say you don't watch him play. Or your a Flyers fan hahaha

Just recently Crosby became the first player in NHL history to record a 30-goal season at age 18, and again at 35. Not even Wayne did that.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/30/23 11:46 PM

After the 2009 Finals I am hard wired to hate Crosby. You're right, after the first few years he started acting like a big boy. I respect his game. The dude's the real thing. I always hated all the hype about him though. It was nauseating to watch a game were the network announcers just gushed over him like teen aged girls. I always hated the league/Betman protection he got/still gets more than all the physical protection Gretzky got. That's how the game was played in Gretzky's day. I'm not really a fan of Gretzky's after ice career. He just comes off as creepy. Let's face it, Gretzky changed the way the game was played. Lemieux did in some ways too. Crosby was able to dominate the game it already was, he didn't change it. For me, Selanne, Bure, and Mogilny were the most exciting players to watch during their era. Today guys like McDavid , Matthews, Kiprusoff, and MacKinnon are fascinating to watch. We all can disagree about players, the game is a beautiful thing.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 12:04 AM

Or you are a Red Winds fan, I knew I should have added that. No chance in hell Crosby gets more protection than Gretzky did. That's 2009 talking.

Nobody is better at playing hockey down low, than Crosby. if you don't agree, you don't watch him play, or you are pissed at him beating your team.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 12:14 AM

Well, I am pissed at him beating us in 2009. You're right, Crosby does not get the protection on the ice like Gretzky did. Crosby's down low game is the best. He gets protection from the refs just like LeBron gets on the court. That's a league decision.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 12:15 AM

NHL refing is very questionable these days. I just hope it doesn't have a major impact at playoff time.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 12:19 AM

NHL refing is very questionable these days.

You got that right. I'm almost afraid of what it's going to look like in the playoffs. I think it's more the league then the refs. They are making it too much like the NBA. One set of rules for the elite players and favored teams and another for the rest. There are a lot of new refs and linesmen this year. They know they have to call games this way if they want to keep their jobs. It's not good for the game.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 12:20 AM

I don't really have a favorite player, but I sure like watching Mitch Marner play. Complete 200 foot game.
One of my all time favorite players was Owen Nolan. Score, yep, hit, yep, fight, yep. great Captain. One of the first players Gretzky picked, as GM, for Canada's 2002 Olympic team.

Sadly, hitting is becoming more rare, fighting as well.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by LB4LB

You got that right. I'm almost afraid of what it's going to look like in the playoffs. I think it's more the league then the refs. They are making it too much like the NBA. One set of rules for the elite players and favored teams and another for the rest. There are a lot of new refs and linesmen this year. They know they have to call games this way if they want to keep their jobs. It's not good for the game.

Refs should be interviewed like players are, after games. Bettman does protect them too much. Hell, you get fined if you dare question them in the media, after a game.

Refs should be fined for terrible calls.

The amount of sudden legal sports betting in Canada is a concern too.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 12:39 AM

Refs should be interviewed like players are, after games. Bettman does protect them too much. Hell, you get fined if you dare question them in the media, after a game.

Refs should be fined for terrible calls.

The amount of sudden legal sports betting in Canada is a concern too.

Bamn! You nailed it. In their defense, I will say that reffing a game that is that fast has got to be extremely difficult. I would say that using technology to aid in calls would help, but some of the worst calls are being made from the league command center in Toronto.

Owen Nolan was a very solid all around player.

Hitting is down to the point were guys get angry when someone does get hit. I remember the days when someone smoked you with a good hit, the lesson was keep your head up. Not have your teammates group hug the guy. The fighting is down not only because the refs step in too early, but both teams all jump in for a group hug. Drives me nuts. I know the grab the guy in close all started to stop from getting a jab to the face, but it's ridiculous now. I'd like to see the PA start playing the Waltz when this happens. because they are basically just dancing with each other at that point.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 12:58 AM

Maybe linesman should have to power to make a penalty call. That would make 4 sets of eyes on the ice.
The control center in Toronto should be able to call out a ref for a bad call. The problem is it could slow down the game. Like the offside challenge.
IMO, the game changed drastically when they took out the 2 line pass rule. The game became wide open, faster. You can pass from the goal line, in your own end, up to the opponents blue line now. Big tough guys got phased out, due to being a liability in a fast paced games. I still watch, because it's the only sport I really like. But yeah, I'm the old man yelling at the cloud guy now. It use to be better when ......
I hear the Blue Jays have a great team this year, I may watch some games.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 01:40 PM

Or your a Flyers fan

He's a cry baby. Cryin' Sid, the sad, sad, kid.

I've talked about it plenty of times before here in our sporting discussion, how I need my villains. Crosby serves that role nicely. In reality I have massive respect for his game, He's been a Flyers killer for a generation it seems. So it's just banter. Although Tie Domi really did suck biggrin

Selanne, Bure, and Mogilny were the most exciting players to watch during their era

+1. Pavel Bure was amazing. All three were, but the Russian Rocket was thrilling to watch.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 03:05 PM

Crosby's individual NHL honours include: 3 Stanley Cups (2009, 2016, 2017), 2 Conn Smythe Trophies (2016, 2017), 3 Ted Lindsay Awards (2007, 2013, 2014), 2 Hart Memorial Trophies (2007, 2014), 2 Art Ross Trophies (2007, 2014), 2 Maurice Richard Trophies (2010, 2017), and 1 Mark Messier Leadership award. 2 Olympic Gold Medals. He's not crying.
Hate him all you want. He matured greatly after his first 2 seasons. They hate you when you are great.

Bure was great, but had a short injury riddled career. Didn't see a lot of Bure as he played on the west coast. Selanne's 76 goals as a rookie will probably never be touched. Mogilny was incredible. But none of the 3 come close to Crosby's accomplishments.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 03:20 PM

Where banter goes to die....

This was fun.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 03:24 PM

Where banter goes to die....

This was fun.

Ok then.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 10:03 PM

Crosby is a dirty player, like cheap shots to the calves with the stick.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Crosby is a dirty player, like cheap shots to the calves with the stick.

If you took the wacks and slashes he does, you would too.
He's no Brad Marchand. Or the dirtiest player Of the last 2 decades, Chara.
Crosby battles hard, he gives what he gets.
First ballot Hall Of Famer.
Playoff rivalries build hatred. You make enemies on your way to the top. Yadda yadda yadda.

All the bullet points hahaha

Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 03/31/23 11:58 PM

Wayne Gretzky for Canada, in his heyday at least.

I dunno about now, probable some "E-sports" gamer bro I've never heard of.
Posted By: WhoCares

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 04/13/23 12:35 PM

As for Germany, Michael Schumacher has been suggested, and is certainly not a bad pick. Alternatives would be Fritz Walter (football captain of the 1954 world champion team), or Franz Beckenbauer (1974 world champion), Boris Becker & Steffi Graf, Dirk Nowitzki.
Maybe it is also worth differentiating between "for the country" as put in the original post, or "in the country", like in Germany those football icons have a higher standing than they might have outside, while a Dirk Nowitzki rose to his ultimate fame un the USA...

As for Austria, Arnold Schwarzenegger has been suggested, I'd contest with Niki Lauda. Or some ski pro like Hermann Maier.

For the USA you mostly referenced stars for US-specific sports (baseball, American football) like Ruth and Brady - speaking of international sport stars from the USA, maybe some stars of Olympic fame, like Michael Phelps, or Carl Lewis. Muhammed Ali for me would have the more iconic standing, compared to Mike Tyson.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 04/13/23 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by WhoCares
As for Germany, Michael Schumacher has been suggested, and is certainly not a bad pick. Alternatives would be Fritz Walter (football captain of the 1954 world champion team), or Franz Beckenbauer (1974 world champion), Boris Becker & Steffi Graf, Dirk Nowitzki.
Maybe it is also worth differentiating between "for the country" as put in the original post, or "in the country", like in Germany those football icons have a higher standing than they might have outside, while a Dirk Nowitzki rose to his ultimate fame un the USA...

As for Austria, Arnold Schwarzenegger has been suggested, I'd contest with Niki Lauda. Or some ski pro like Hermann Maier.

For the USA you mostly referenced stars for US-specific sports (baseball, American football) like Ruth and Brady - speaking of international sport stars from the USA, maybe some stars of Olympic fame, like Michael Phelps, or Carl Lewis. Muhammed Ali for me would have the more iconic standing, compared to Mike Tyson.

Good post WhoCares and yes I meant to say which sports athlete is the most famous WITHIN each individual country.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 04/13/23 04:29 PM

Within Canada, It has to be Gretzky, whether I like it or not. Canada is a hockey country first and foremost.
I remember when Dale Earnhardt died at Daytona in 2000.
When I explained it to my wife (not a sports fan) I said it would be like Wayne Gretzky dying for Canadians.
I know NASCAR is really only popular in certain sections of the US, but Earnhardt was massively popular.
And I am one of those people who consider auto racers as athletes. It's motorsports, so still a sport.

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 04/14/23 11:26 AM

How about countries like Andorra, Luxembourg and Djibouti? I haven't seen any famous athletes mentioned for those countries yet. wink
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 04/15/23 09:51 AM

If we are going to narrow it down to local; Zac Warren, 3 times World Champion in Shin-kicking at the Cotswold Olimpiks (correct spelling. Originated in 1621 well before the Modern Olympics)
Posted By: WhoCares

Re: Most famous sports athlete by country? - 04/17/23 11:17 AM

How about countries like Andorra, Luxembourg and Djibouti? I haven't seen any famous athletes mentioned for those countries yet. wink

Well, of recent fame, Luxembourg has the Schleck brothers, competing in cycling, with Andy Schleck winning the 2010 Tour the France in 2012 (doping suspension of Contador).
A bit of googling also brought up another that I remember: Marc Giradelli, winning some world championships and world cup seasons in various skiing disciplines.

Didn't trouble myself with Andorra or Djibouti...
© 2024 SimHQ Forums