homepage

Question to Americans and maybe germans

Posted By: Blade_RJ

Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 03:48 PM

ive seen this more than once, so i guess there must be some truth in it. why is ketchup considered for kids ? is it some old marketing campaign that stuck on people minds ? and what is the condiment for adults ?
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 03:56 PM

Ketchup is full of sugar.
As for condiments for adults, it depends on what you are eating.
A hotdog, I like mustard and onions. Sandwiches (meat/cheese) mayo and mustard. Hamburger, mayo, mustard , onions and dill pickles.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 04:04 PM

Well, this 'kid' always has a bottle in the fridge. Yeah, I keep it in the fridge smile

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chucky
Well, this 'kid' always has a bottle in the fridge. Yeah, I keep it in the fridge smile

We have it in the fridge too. Always have.
I almost forgot Tabasco sauce is great on eggs.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
ive seen this more than once, so i guess there must be some truth in it. why is ketchup considered for kids ? is it some old marketing campaign that stuck on people minds ? and what is the condiment for adults ?

Ketchup is most often associated with fast food in the US and I'd say a good half or more of the fast food commercials are geared at kids. It mostly comes down to marketing tactics. It's the same dynamic behind why most beer commercials in the US are aimed at men rather than women.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by WangoTango

i use cinnamon powder on pan fried eggs and omelets.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 04:22 PM

Is that a Brazilian thing or just a Blade thing? biggrin

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 04:27 PM

Interesting. As kids, Mom would make cinnamon toast. Buttered toast, with a cinnamon and sugar mix.
It was a treat.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Is that a Brazilian thing or just a Blade thing? biggrin

pretty sure blade thing, brazilians are not as fan of cinammon unless its sweeties, like cake (Banana and cinnamon) or what we call here as rain little cakes or wind little cakes, wich is basically fried dough with cinamon and sometimes some sweet filler or nothing hence the wind part of the name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolinho_de_chuva

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 04:42 PM

Yup, I would definitely eat that! Hmmm..maybe even dip those in sweetened condensed milk.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 04:46 PM

Yup, I would definitely eat that! Hmmm..maybe even dip those in sweetened condensed milk.

i thought america didnt have condensed milk it was really hard to find it in europe (mainly portugal though), we use it a lot here in brazil, for cakes and sweets and it has to be Leite Moça brand, all others just....urk, the end result doesnt turn the same

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 05:01 PM

We have new Greek Bakery near by. They makes these things called Loukoumades. They are sprinkled with cinnamon. Absolutely delicious. They only make them on Saturdays, which probably a good thing.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 05:10 PM

We have new Greek Bakery near by. They makes these things called Loukoumades. They are sprinkled with cinnamon. Absolutely delicious. They only make them on Saturdays, which probably a good thing.

just looked it up, its basically the greek version of bolinho de chuva. my mom always made these when we were kids on sundays because it was the only time my dad would be home all day

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 05:16 PM

i thought america didnt have condensed milk it was really hard to find it in europe (mainly portugal though),

You'll find it in most US supermarkets but I will also say that it is more commonly used by the Latino community in South Florida. For Europe I would think you could find it in Spain in addition to Portugal.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 05:53 PM

just looked it up, its basically the greek version of bolinho de chuva. my mom always made these when we were kids on sundays because it was the only time my dad would be home all day

They are a nice treat.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 06:11 PM

I love condensed milk on my porridge. It's always available here in the UK. I don't buy it much because sometimes I just spoon it out of the tin straight down my gob.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 06:19 PM

I don't buy it much because sometimes I just spoon it out of the tin straight down my gob.

Ha! I am also a former member of that club. Used to do that quite often well into my teenage years.
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 08:30 PM

I saw a reference to drinking condensed milk in Batman Begins and never understood it, but after reading stuff here, I guess it's a thing.
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 09:30 PM

I heart white rice with ketchup

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

Sounds horrendous.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Arthonon
I saw a reference to drinking condensed milk in Batman Begins and never understood it, but after reading stuff here, I guess it's a thing.

I remember having condensed milk on toast, as a kid. Very sweet.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 09:55 PM

Do you remember if it was Carnation or Borden brand? That could make a significant difference to the joke!
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 09:56 PM

Very sweet, not a very nice or sophisticated taste for most adults. It is also bland. And that is why children seem to like it.

As a general rule other sauces typically taste better. Barbecue sauce is similar, and there are more varieties although even the sweet barbecue sauces are better than ketchup.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 10:05 PM

Sounds horrendous.

Ketchup adds flavor .

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 10:38 PM

Sounds horrendous.

Ketchup adds flavor .

I'll take your word for it.
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 11:00 PM

Do you remember if it was Carnation or Borden brand? That could make a significant difference to the joke!

I don't know, but Alfred always kept it on the top shelf to keep the kids from getting into it...

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/28/23 11:37 PM

'if you like it that much maybe try making your rice with tomato sauce or tomatoes. i know portuguese people have some dish like this. but if you are single, make small portions ,as it spoil quick.

what condensed milk is this that you drink ? the ones i know are very thick, almost like a more solid honey. look here [video:youtube]https://youtu.be/XAU1wx2PPSE?t=89[/video]

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/29/23 01:59 AM

At Chinese buffet I get steam rice and I put catsup on it cos it has no flavor. My sisters soak the rice with soy sauce and sriracha.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/29/23 02:47 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/29/23 03:08 AM

the only thing i use soy sauce is meat, and not the raw japanese one. cooking beef on it addes flavour, i dont know wich one yet, but it does

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/29/23 07:12 AM

I have used soy sauce on fried eggs, eggrolls, dumplings and any food that needs more flavor.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/29/23 09:51 AM

That is the stuff Blade. I should clarify that I don't drink it, just take a spoonful before adding some to my porridge.

It was given to us as kids and it's a taste that has always evoked memories of those Sundays when dad would make a huge saucepan of thick porridge for breakfast for the family.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/29/23 10:21 AM

At Chinese buffet I get steam rice and I put catsup on it cos it has no flavor. My sisters soak the rice with soy sauce and sriracha.

"Catsup" now? Did you suddenly turn Mid-Western on us?

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/30/23 12:36 AM

You say ketchup I say catsup. You say potato I say potato.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/30/23 02:32 AM

You say ketchup I say catsup. You say potato I say potato.

But you said ketchup earlier, now it's catsup. Most people stick with one.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/30/23 08:35 AM

Just intrigued to why the question is addressed just to " Americans and maybe Germans" smile

Fried egg, bacon, & sausage 'Banjo'* with ketchup (more often just called 'tomato sauce' here) from a roadside trailer is a staple in the UK. Though Real Men eschew ketchup and slaver the wad with brown sauce.

*So named because as the runny contents inevitably squirt onto the eater's front, they will brush at the besmirchment with one hand whilst holding the offending sandwich at arm's length therefore adopting the stance of a banjo player. The term originally coined by Squaddies.
Posted By: DM

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/30/23 08:43 AM

HP Sauce all the way for me. Except for hotdogs, got to be ketchup + mustard for hotdogs.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/30/23 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by BD-123
Just intrigued to why the question is addressed just to " Americans and maybe Germans" smile

Fried egg, bacon, & sausage 'Banjo'* with ketchup (more often just called 'tomato sauce' here) from a roadside trailer is a staple in the UK. Though Real Men eschew ketchup and slaver the wad with brown sauce.

*So named because as the runny contents inevitably squirt onto the eater's front, they will brush at the besmirchment with one hand whilst holding the offending sandwich at arm's length therefore adopting the stance of a banjo player. The term originally coined by Squaddies.

I learn something new on SimHQ pretty much every day. Thanks for that interesting background history on the "Banjo". smile

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/30/23 10:55 AM

The 'banjo' often got a mention in the TV show 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' and at the time I didn't know what it was. It was eventually explained to me by my ex-Royal Navy friend, plus the term 'in the barrel' hahaha

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/30/23 11:00 AM

plus the term 'in the barrel' hahaha

Let me guess, there's some sexual innuendo involved here? biggrin

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/30/23 11:13 AM

I think in general it means being given an unpleasant task, but of course you can read into that what you want smile

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/30/23 02:56 PM

Interesting origin of the name. By brown sauce, are you referring to HP sauce ?

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/30/23 03:53 PM

I would say that he is. I always refer to it as 'brown' sauce rather than HP.

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/30/23 04:07 PM

I would say that he is. I always refer to it as 'brown' sauce rather than HP.

It's good stuff. I thought he might mean Worcestershire sauce. Also great, but I wouldn't put it on a sandwich. Too messy, but it may cause you to play the banjo hahaha

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/30/23 08:06 PM

americans because its the focus of the ketchup is for children thing i wanted to verify, and germans because of the sauce know how

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 03/31/23 12:08 AM

Germans, the first condiment that comes to mind is mustard. For Bratwurst. I did live there 4 years, as a child.
Posted By: Wolfstriked

Re: Question to Americans and maybe germans - 04/07/23 06:45 AM

Seems to me like a marketing ploy like from a competing condiment like a hot sauce manufacturer.All you need is one person to start something and it goes viral and then the whole world believes.Ketchup is for kids and is low class but yet EVERYONE loves it.You are ridiculed if you have it at the table BUT you bring a hot sauce and "nowadays" you a man of the times!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums