homepage

World Cup 2022

Posted By: DBond

World Cup 2022 - 11/17/22 01:23 PM

Another four years have gone and even though it's winter, the World Cup is here again.

Qatar was always a crazy choice, but massive money's been spent to transform the nation and build the infrastructure necessary to host the event. Off-pitch issues may arise, especially in terms of accommodations and travel, and the cultural issues and human rights will be hot topics, but I ask that those things be discussed elsewhere if needed and we focus on the sporting side in this thread.

The US has a shot at making it out of the group, but it's not a sure thing. Group B is a tricky one. The roster was announced a week ago and while there were few surprises, keeper Zach Steffen was left out entirely, which was a big shock considering he was essentially 1A to Matt Turner's 1B all through the qualifying cycle. To not even be named to the squad is a big surprise. The US has a good midfield, and Turner's a steady pair of hands. The backline is solid too, but striker is a question mark, and I have zero faith in Berhalter's ability to adapt tactics and formations to counter and exploit the opposition. If plan A works they'll be fine. If they need a plan B they're in trouble.

So who ya got? What are your predictions?

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/17/22 01:33 PM

I'm a very casual soccer fan and I only follow the WC if the US team is in it. Maybe the US team will make it as far as it did back in 2014 when they played Germany in the semi-finals. I believe that was also the year when they tied England 1-1 in their match. I remember some of our UK SimHQ members being "miffed" by that. biggrin
Posted By: WhoCares

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/17/22 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I'm a very casual soccer fan and I only follow the WC if the US team is in it. Maybe the US team will make it as far as it did back in 2014 when they played Germany in the semi-finals. I believe that was also the year when they tied England 1-1 in their match. I remember some of our UK SimHQ members being "miffed" by that. biggrin

In 2014 semifinal, Germany defeated Brasil in Rio de Janeiro 7 - 1, to become champion, defeating Argentina 1- 0. Just to be kicked out in the group phase in 2018 banghead

I think you are thinking of the worldcup 2010, where the US team indeed tied against England, to be kicked out by Ghana in the next stage. In turn, in 2014 you defeated Ghana in the group phase, and again were kicked out in the next stage, this time by Belgium.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/17/22 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by WhoCares

I think you are thinking of the worldcup 2010, where the US team indeed tied against England, to be kicked out by Ghana in the next stage. In turn, in 2014 you defeated Ghana in the group phase, and again were kicked out in the next stage, this time by Belgium.

Thank you for that correction. Yeah it was in 2010 that the US tied England.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/17/22 03:47 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Snow46

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/17/22 04:15 PM

I see the games start on Sunday 20 November, but really get going on Monday. Any idea where they will be televised?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/17/22 06:03 PM

In the US, Fox and FS1 will carry the broadcasts I believe.

So no predictions?

I'll step out.

Brazil.

Yeah I know, quite a stretch right? After all, they've won it five times. But they have not done in 20 years. This however is going to be star number 6. The roster's strong in all phases, with an embarrassment of riches in certain positions. KK kindly put up the groups above, and Brazil's Group G is one of the weakest. Brazil will cruise to the top of the group, this will set up a round of 16 match against the second-placed team form Group H, let's say South Korea (Son runs wild). Win that and it's Spain in the quarters, Argentina in the semis (sad for Messi), and they win the World Cup final against Germany.

I always pick a dark horse too, an unfavored side to make some noise. For the past six major tournaments I've picked Belgium to be this team, and this feels like the last real shot for their golden generation.

My prediction for the US is to make it out of the group in second place where they lose to Netherlands in the round of 16. But you never know!
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/17/22 10:53 PM

Who decided to have it in Qatar?

Gonna be a lot of folks in jail https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-fans-jail-shoulders-28511867

Many or all these girls from 2018 would be in jail if they were in Qatar

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/18/22 02:54 AM

My prediction for the US is to make it out of the group in second place where they lose to Netherlands in the round of 16. But you never know!

Only if they get win against Wales.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/18/22 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

Gonna be a lot of folks in jail https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-fans-jail-shoulders-28511867

Many or all these girls from 2018 would be in jail if they were in Qatar

Indeed, and there has been woke-triggering here in England as gay fans were advised not to be too gay during their stay in Quatar.
Posted By: RossUK

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/18/22 11:28 AM

England could do it. But they won't! Germany always a possibility though.

I'm rooting for USA to get past Wales, more keen to watch that than England's first to be honest.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/18/22 11:29 AM

The FIFA Committee. And why Qatar? Because Qatar offered a CRAP load of money.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/18/22 02:04 PM

The FIFA Committee. And why Qatar? Because Qatar offered a CRAP load of money.

Lots of fans going to be upset with no booze sales.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/18/22 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK

No doubt about that but I'm certain some closed door negotiations were made between FIFA and Qatar to make up for that lost liquor revenue.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/18/22 03:09 PM

No doubt about that but I'm certain some closed door negotiations were made between FIFA and Qatar to make up for that lost liquor revenue.

I am waiting for Budweiser to pull their sponsership.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/18/22 03:20 PM

I am waiting for Budweiser to pull their sponsership.

I just can't fathom why so many people still drink that piss water.
Posted By: mikew

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/18/22 03:55 PM

Yep, my theory is that despite it being the only beer available, they didn't actually sell any.....hence this cover story. biggrin

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/19/22 03:22 PM

Now Qatar has decided that no alcoholic beverages are to be served!
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/19/22 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Snow46

What a buzz kill...literally. I imagine many fans have travelled from other countries, to see their teams play. Party poopers.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/19/22 03:37 PM

This isn't true I don't think, restricted 'around the stadiums', meaning the stadium perimeter only, unless they change it again. It will still be served in the stadiums and fan zones according to the latest. But another backpedal may be coming.

Anyone have any thoughts on the football side of things?
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/19/22 03:59 PM

Can't imagine football fans from any part of the UK or Ireland wanting to go to a game without beer smile

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/19/22 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by DBond

This isn't true I don't think, restricted 'around the stadiums', meaning the stadium perimeter only, unless they change it again. It will still be served in the stadiums and fan zones according to the latest. But another backpedal may be coming.

Qatar bans sale of beer at World Cup stadiums in about-face
https://www.cp24.com/sports/qatar-bans-sale-of-beer-at-world-cup-stadiums-in-about-face-1.6158570?cache=yes%3FclipId%3D68597

DOHA, Qatar (AP) - Qatar banned the sale of beer at World Cup stadiums on Friday, a sudden U-turn on the deal the conservative Muslim emirate made to secure the soccer tournament with only two days to go before the opening game.

The move was the latest sign of the tension of staging the event, which is not just a sports tournament but also a monthlong party, in the autocratic country where the sale of alcohol is heavily restricted. It's also a significant blow to World Cup beer sponsor Budweiser and raised questions about how much control FIFA retains over its tournament.

When Qatar launched its bid to host the World Cup, the country agreed to FIFA's requirements of selling alcohol in stadiums - but the details were only released in September, just 11 weeks before the first kickoff, suggesting how fraught the negotiations may have been. Friday's statement from FIFA said non-alcoholic beer will still be sold at the eight stadiums, while champagne, wine, whiskey and other alcohol will be served in the luxury hospitality areas of the arenas.

So the peons can't have booze.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/19/22 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by No105_Archie
Can't imagine football fans from any part of the UK or Ireland wanting to go to a game without beer smile

Exactly my thought. What a bloody joke. As a host county, know the fanbase that will be visiting. It's ridiculous. Keep your religious beliefs out of an international event.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/19/22 04:59 PM

Qatar bans sale of beer at World Cup stadiums in about-face
https://www.cp24.com/sports/qatar-bans-sale-of-beer-at-world-cup-stadiums-in-about-face-1.6158570?cache=yes%3FclipId%3D68597

DOHA, Qatar (AP) - Qatar banned the sale of beer at World Cup stadiums on Friday, a sudden U-turn on the deal the conservative Muslim emirate made to secure the soccer tournament with only two days to go before the opening game.

The move was the latest sign of the tension of staging the event, which is not just a sports tournament but also a monthlong party, in the autocratic country where the sale of alcohol is heavily restricted. It's also a significant blow to World Cup beer sponsor Budweiser and raised questions about how much control FIFA retains over its tournament.

When Qatar launched its bid to host the World Cup, the country agreed to FIFA's requirements of selling alcohol in stadiums - but the details were only released in September, just 11 weeks before the first kickoff, suggesting how fraught the negotiations may have been. Friday's statement from FIFA said non-alcoholic beer will still be sold at the eight stadiums, while champagne, wine, whiskey and other alcohol will be served in the luxury hospitality areas of the arenas.

So the peons can't have booze.

So people in luxury suites can drink ? Man I would be pissed off if I planned a trip to the World Cup. (and I don't even drink anymore) But beer and Football just go together.

PS, had to Google "Peons" I learnt a new word today.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/19/22 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by WangoTango
So people in luxury suites can drink ? Man I would be pissed off if I planned a trip to the World Cup. (and I don't even drink anymore)

Ontario is opening pubs extra early so you can have a beer for breakfast instead of orange juice.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/19/22 05:18 PM

So people in luxury suites can drink ? Man I would be pissed off if I planned a trip to the World Cup. (and I don't even drink anymore)

Ontario is opening pubs extra early so you can have a beer for breakfast instead of orange juice.

Canada does understand the importance of beer.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/19/22 05:29 PM

That's a bit of a secondary consideration as the whole point of going to these things is a few weeks of heavy drinking in the sun away from the wife.

But, if you really want to discuss that, I suppose the first big event to interest this forum is the USA-Wales clash.
I'd say Wales are strong favourites, especially if Gareth Bale is playing.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/19/22 07:03 PM

I’ll definitely be watching the USA vs Wales match.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/19/22 08:42 PM

Budweiser paid $75 million. Who got that money, need to pay it back.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/19/22 08:43 PM

You betcha!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/20/22 08:43 AM

This guy is the head of World Cup.SMDH!

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/infantino-double-standard-world-cup-critics-93605130

USA & Wales tomorrow. USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!!

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/fi...vs-wales-nov-21-2022-game-boxscore-97041

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 12:18 PM

Game starts at 2:00 pm EDT today. The smack talk will start in a few hours. smile

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 01:25 PM

The US has every chance of winning this match. The team does not come in to the World Cup on the back of a string of good results. But they're fit and will have the full roster to select from. Due to injuries and suspensions the United States has very rarely gotten all of their first-choice eleven on the pitch at the same time, so we really don't have much to judge them on. Berhalter's formation will be key, as the US will look to control the midfield and play the ball out of the back, which honestly doesn't really suit them, but there are some managers who shape the tactics to the players, and others who shape the players to their tactics. Berhalter has his vision and sticks to it, often in spite of the suitability of the players at his disposal or the effectiveness of his tactical plans.

I'd like to see some variation of a 4-5-1 with probably Ferreira up top. Not sold on him if I'm honest but he's got a good turn of pace and if the US can give him service they could spring a surprise or two. Matches are often won and lost in the midfield and I think this is the strongest part of the US squad. They have industry, pace and technical ability, but are a bit lightweight. Tyler Adams is the pivot and he'll be tasked with breaking up the opposition's attacking moves. He's really good in this role, but lacks the size and strength to be the midfield destroyer often needed in these sorts of matches. But he has a motor and will pop up all over the pitch.

In players like Pulisic, Aaronson and Reyna they have plenty of pace, skill and creativity in the center of the park if they're on song. This will be the key for the US hopes, that these players play well, control the tempo and get the ball in to dangerous spots. The US also is handy on set pieces. For the first time in forever I like the US fullbacks, Robinson having grown in to a fine player. Dest can be great on his day, but runs hot and cold and is always near an injury it seems. The centerbacks are solid but lack pace, and Turner should get the nod in goal with Steffen at home.

In their last meeting, these teams produced a scoreless draw. Wales are a difficult prospect, and I reckon this match could go either way. The key for the US will be to control the midfield, break at pace and get the ball forward for their attackers to run on to. They aren't very effective with all eleven defenders to break down, and lack the prototypical back-to-the-goal striker. So they'll look to be dangerous in transition and counterattack, and play for corners and free kicks. If they can finish off their chances they'll be in with a shout today.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 02:31 PM

Whatever.

I feel obliged to support Wales since that was the patch of dirt I hit when I vacated my mother's uterus.
Wales were really good 5 or 6 years ago with some key players who are probably past it by now, so not getting my hopes up.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 02:56 PM

England cruising. Had 82% of the ball in the first half. And this is WITH Maguire on the pitch biggrin

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 02:59 PM

They have impressed me. Bellingham is seriously talented.

I'm hoping they get to 6 before the whistle..

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 03:01 PM

And Grealish granted my wish!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 03:02 PM

Bellingham is going to be sold at the end of the season and they're talking about 150 million transfer fee. He's good. Liverpool are keen, as well as most of the top teams. Dortmund just keep printing it.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 03:04 PM

Wow England is demolishing Iran.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 03:12 PM

They sure are and the US didn't need England finding confidence ahead of their match. This result will do wonders for them, after so many questions heading in to the tournament.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 03:21 PM

They sure are and the US didn't need England finding confidence ahead of their match. This result will do wonders for them, after so many questions heading in to the tournament.

Any predictions for USA? 1-1 for me.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 03:29 PM

Well, let me see how the US looks against Wales. Like I said we've not really seen the first eleven on the pitch together at any point during the qualifying cycle.

I assume Ross you're asking about US-England? I'll say 2-1 England if forced to predict it now. England have more firepower than the US, but you never know and it wouldn't be the first time the US got the better of them. They CAN win, but on balance I think England have more. Of course anything can happen.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 04:30 PM

I meant against Wales v US really and agree too early to tell. Either way, wish your team good luck!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 04:33 PM

I noticed on Wednesday Germany plays against Japan. What's this? Former allies going against each other? duck

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by RossUK
I meant against Wales v US really and agree too early to tell. Either way, wish your team good luck!

I see, I misunderstood. Honestly I don't know which team shows up today. See, I have zero faith in the gaffer, a man who's head is shaped like an egg and yet he's a blockhead at the same time. Quite the trick actually.

But seriously I don't know. Qualifying was fraught with peril and poor performances. I don't know how many lineups they used through the cycle but it had to be twenty at least. The side I expect to step on the pitch today has had little time to gel, and like I said I don't think the personnel is suited to the way Berhalter wants them to play. The US should be direct, long diagonals, balls over the top, sitting deep and countering, through balls for the attackers to run on to. But they insist on trying to be a possession team, playing out of the back without the players to do it well. It's as if direct play is beneath Berhalter's lofty vision. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the manager. It took two years to name the new boss, and this is the best they could do?

Fitness, athleticism and application have always been the way forward for the United States, who aren't going to beat the best teams with technique, triangles and tactics I don't think. Play to your strengths.

I hope the US does well in spite of him, and who knows, maybe he'll surprise me with his tactical nous. I had better hope so.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 06:15 PM

Good result for Netherlands, in group A, beating Mane-less Senegal 2-0. That 3-4-1-2 formation doesn't fit them I don't think. De Ligt seems miscast in a back three. But even without Mane, Senegal is a good side, so the result is a good one. I don't think they'll have trouble with either Ecuador or Qatar, so the hard work in the group stage is done. Now to see who finishes second I reckon.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 07:27 PM

The United States should have to start down a goal just for those shirts.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 07:39 PM

Great first goal, been coming for twenty minutes. Outplaying Wales so far.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 07:45 PM

Yeah, good start, good possession, in a 4-3-3. Great goal, through ball and outside of the boot. Long way to go.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 09:50 PM

Game can end in tie?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 09:58 PM

Game can end in tie?

Yes. Later games in the next round, NO. 30 minutes OT and if still tied penalty kicks till one sides gets more goals 5 shots per team to start.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 10:06 PM

Thank you KraziKanuK.

I did not watch games today. Was at work. Just saw today's scores. England killed it. 6 goals!!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/21/22 11:03 PM

Bah! So Wales tied it 1-1 near the end.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 07:50 AM

Game can end in tie?

Yes. Later games in the next round, NO. 30 minutes OT and if still tied penalty kicks till one sides gets more goals 5 shots per team to start.

No sport should be decided with penalty kicks/shots. Sudden death is the way to go.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 11:47 AM

Bah! So Wales tied it 1-1 near the end.
Strange game. It seemed like the Wales tactic was to let the USA do what they wanted in the first half and tire themselves out..
Now it's a case of who scores the most against Iran or loses the least against England which determines who goes through.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 12:03 PM

Shock result brewing for Argentina.

The United States will feel it's two points dropped, although a draw in this match isn't the worst result. They played well enough to win, but didn't match Wales when they changed things up and it was a game of two halves. Berhalter lacks the ability to make the right tweaks to react to and exploit the changes the opposition make. If plan A works, great. But as soon as it doesn't they get caught out.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 01:24 PM

Shock result brewing for Argentina.

I see Saudi Arabia won 2-1. That's definitely a big upset.
Posted By: Johan217

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 02:07 PM

Apparently Budweiser announced that they will be giving away the unsold beer to whoever wins the Cup. Hope it's not us, we don't need that **** here cheers

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Johan217
Apparently Budweiser announced that they will be giving away the unsold beer to whoever wins the Cup. Hope it's not us, we don't need that **** here cheers

Offering Budweiser to a Belgian would be like offering Kraft Singles "cheese" to a Frenchman.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 02:23 PM

Belgians tend to get too chauvinistic over their beer while there are plenty of fine beers to be found in other countries. And many Belgian beers are mediocre at best... the most mediocre of them is actually the official sponsor of the national team LOL

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 02:26 PM

the most mediocre of them is actually the official sponsor of the national team LOL

Ah you mean Stella Artois? Apparently in the UK it's nicknamed the "wife beater".

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 03:06 PM

No, Jupiler. If you never heard of it, don't bother, it's not worth it.

At home it's my wife who's into football, for me it's just an excuse to sit on the couch with beer and pretzels :-)

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 05:20 PM

Ah so I see England plays against USA on Friday. I'll be watching that!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 06:38 PM

the most mediocre of them is actually the official sponsor of the national team LOL

Ah you mean Stella Artois? Apparently in the UK it's nicknamed the "wife beater".

Can confirm that's it's old nickname. But they lessened the percentage so it's actually just a nice easy drinker nowadays.
Posted By: Wigean

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 07:12 PM

Wowsy,
What a nice aussie goal!!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wigean
Wowsy,
What a nice aussie goal!!

That lead didn't last very long!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 07:49 PM

Two games today ended 0-0. Normal or unusual?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 07:50 PM

Even for soccer, 0-0 games are the exception and not the norm.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 07:55 PM

I love the World Cup, mainly because it keeps my hyper and annoying Italo-Brazilian girlfriend out of my hair for a few days.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 08:22 PM

If a tree falls in the forest........

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 09:05 PM

The French are good at something.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 09:13 PM

The French are good at something.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/22/22 09:19 PM

Democracy was invented by ancient Greece.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 02:51 PM

Oops.
Japan - Germany 2-1.
6 minutes to go + extra time.

Another upset?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 02:55 PM

Oops.
Japan - Germany 2-1.
6 minutes to go + extra time.

Another upset?

Oh wow. If Japan pulls off this comeback upset win that will be huge news.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 02:55 PM

Democracy was invented by ancient Greece.

I guess that wasn't factored in to the qualifying cycle?

Yeah, Germany on the ropes.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 03:07 PM

Germany lost.
They face Spain on Sunday.
That`s a must see game for me. smile

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 03:15 PM

They had games at 1 am and 4 am. Who is awake to watch them!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 03:31 PM

They had games at 1 am and 4 am. Who is awake to watch them!

Hardcore soccer fans.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 04:13 PM

NFB's notion is that everyone is in the same time zone

Some more related NFB gems when he explained the sport to us. This was a 'Football Thread" I tried to get off the ground a couple years ago. After being informed he was talking about the wrong sort of football, he laid insight like this on us, and it came to an end as what more is there to say?

"Only 3 substitutions are allowed in soccer matches per team and it's only to replace an injured player." Not true. Of course.

"Football players are the one who are the wimps, not the soccer players." Are you certain about this?

"Soccer players play the entire game, 60 minutes or 45 minutes, with only a break at halftime." The games are 90 minutes plus stoppage, but sure, they play a full game for 45 minutes. Or is it 60 minutes? Maybe it's three hours. Who knows!

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4497385/re-the-football-thread#Post4497385

It has to be a parody account and someone's having a laugh.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 05:17 PM

What a result for Japan. I have Germany in the finals, and not on this evidence. Shocker, but then again Japan is a good side, and they've done damage in World Cups before. These sorts of results are great any time, but especially on the biggest stage. THis event could use some shaking up because the atmosphere in some matches has been rather embarrassing, hasn't it?

Belgium-Canada in a little bit. Belgium's my dark horse and let's see if they can extend their streak of disappointments. Spain having no trouble with Costa Rica, 3-nil at the mo.

In some news for Friday's US-England clash, Harry Kane is in for scans and we'll see if that has an impact on the match. England still have some good strikers, Wilson and Rashford can do the job. But Kane is great at both banging them in and spreading it around, the sort of versatility they'll miss if he is out.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 05:34 PM

That was a clear example of a coach making the right moves to change a match. They changed their tactics, from sitting deep and countering, to pressing with their subs, who brought plenty of energy. Germany didn't have an answer.

And to make Japan look even better, their fans stayed after the match to help clean up the stadium.

Winners!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 05:36 PM

And to make Japan look even better, their fans stayed after the match to help clean up the stadium.

Winners!

Based on what I've learned about Japanese culture that doesn't surprise me one bit.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 05:42 PM

Wow. Spain is just CRUSHING Costa Rica.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 06:35 PM

I missed that match. smile
Had to do stuff.
Let`s see what Belgium can do.
Belgium is ranked #2 and Canada #41.

It`s hard to predict another upset, but as we say here in Norway: The Ball is Round. (whatever that means.) dizzy

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 06:37 PM

but as we say here in Norway: The Ball is Round. (whatever that means.) dizzy

I'm guessing the meaning gets lost in translation. smile

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 06:46 PM

I believe such a phrase is said because a round ball favors no side? Chances are level. Of course such a phrase ignores the quality of the players kicking that impartial sphere. But in such things we find solace and hope. Or Canada does, I guess.

The way this tournament is going, results are in the air, round ball or not.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 06:47 PM

but as we say here in Norway: The Ball is Round. (whatever that means.) dizzy

I'm guessing the meaning gets lost in translation. smile

Yup.
As several of my posts tend to do. biggrin

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 06:51 PM

I believe such a phrase is said because a round ball favors no side? Chances are level. Of course such a phrase ignores the quality of the players kicking that impartial sphere. But in such things we find solace and hope. Or Canada does, I guess.

The way this tournament is going, results are in the air, round ball or not.

Yeah.
We`ve seen that already haven`t we.
Qualty sometimes get unexpected and surprising results.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 07:26 PM

What a result for Japan. I have Germany in the finals, and not on this evidence. Shocker, but then again Japan is a good side, and they've done damage in World Cups before. These sorts of results are great any time, but especially on the biggest stage. THis event could use some shaking up because the atmosphere in some matches has been rather embarrassing, hasn't it?

Belgium-Canada in a little bit. Belgium's my dark horse and let's see if they can extend their streak of disappointments. Spain having no trouble with Costa Rica, 3-nil at the mo.

In some news for Friday's US-England clash, Harry Kane is in for scans and we'll see if that has an impact on the match. England still have some good strikers, Wilson and Rashford can do the job. But Kane is great at both banging them in and spreading it around, the sort of versatility they'll miss is he is out.

This guy knows UK football, I agree with everything you say. Though I think they'll keep Kane on the benches. I think they'll assume they can take USA without him and let him rest. After USA first game I'm not so sure that's wise. Both attacking sides and lets face it, the game is about number of goals in the end.

I'm getting the beers (not Bud!) ready for it. I want a clean game as respect both.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 07:35 PM

Canada though!? Keep going, you can do this 🤞

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 07:47 PM

Just when the commentators wondered if there was something wrong with the Belgian team. BOOM! biggrin

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 09:51 PM

I just look at scores. Costa Rica!! Did the lack of beer effect their game play?
Posted By: Patrocles

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 11:50 PM

I always support Spain and Germany. Both countries usually start a World Cup on a weak note and improve through the tournament. Germany is on par after the upset! haha Wow! WTF was up with Spain scoring 7 goals! That goes against precedence! haha

That second goal by Japan to defeat Germany was beautiful! And I can see why they call Soccer/Football, 'The most beautiful game.' yep

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/23/22 11:55 PM

Canada though!? Keep going, you can do this 🤞

Canada did well in dominating first half of the match against Belgium. However, after that you can tell the Canadian national team has no effin' clue what they are doing on the pitch based on the stats! Canada will not keep going and fall to the wayside with all the others.
Posted By: wormfood

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/24/22 01:20 AM

[Linked Image]

Yes, I know neither Austria or Hungary are in it, but I'm not gonna let facts get in the way of memes!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/24/22 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by wormfood
[Linked Image]

Yes, I know neither Austria or Hungary are in it, but I'm not gonna let facts get in the way of memes!

Where is this Austria and Hungary you speak of? I never heard of these countries in the World Cup venues! haha

neaner

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/24/22 10:58 AM

Switzerland & Cameroon 0-0 half

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/24/22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Patrocles
[Linked Image]

Where is this Austria and Hungary you speak of? I never heard of these countries in the World Cup venues! haha

neaner

haha, missing a very important, NOT in it. That's why I'm not a professional editor.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/24/22 11:31 PM

Everyone knows Austria-Hungry lost their soccer team as part of the conditions of the Treaty of Versailles. Sheesh.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 12:13 AM

England fight USA tomorrow. USA will win.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 12:27 AM

I don’t share your over-confidence but upsets can and do happen from time to time.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 11:48 AM

Why is Wales with 10 men team?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 12:03 PM

Dang, Wales. You let Iran score twice in 2 minutes.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 01:07 PM

That's not a good result for the US, who would have been hoping for a draw. With Iran now on three points the US will have to win a game, and probably need at least a draw out of the England match and a solid win against Iran to advance.

I sense discontent in the US camp after their performance against Wales. The fact that Reyna was overlooked despite being fit is an issue, but there are only so many places in the starting eleven and subs. Maybe he gets a start today.

The US-Wales match was a big disappointment, but I could see it coming a mile away. Plan A worked great in the first half, the US controlled the play and the midfield was excellent. But Wales aren't stupid and changed tactics, brought on the target man to start playing the ball over the top of the press. At this point you need your manager to recognize how the match has changed, and in turn make his own adjustments to counter and exploit. Berhalter was all like 'duh' and the game turned on its head and he was shown to be be ineffective in managing a match. He can come up with a plan after watching tape for six months. But if and when that plan stops working there's no ability to correct course.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 02:16 PM

That goal by Senegal was fricking mind blowing.

Just to think that the player has to have an amazing spatial ability to generate a mental picture of what is behind him in order to make a head shot goal like that. It's really dumbfounding.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 06:37 PM

Lineups submitted. The US with no changes, aside from Haji Wright getting the nod at center forward over Sargent. The US has no clear-cut first choice in this position and it's a weakness. Wright is a good choice (and Ferreira would have been too) because his pace should trouble the slow-footed England centerbacks (Maguire and Stones). But Wright also offers more of an aerial threat, and it's an interesting selection. He was no-where with the US squad throughout qualifying, was a surprise selection to the final roster and now gets a start in a massive game. That's a tough ask, but I'm hoping he takes it with both hands.

England are unchanged from the demolition of Iran.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 06:39 PM

20 minutes until kick off! I'm psyched but I'm also realistic about the US's chances. smile

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 06:50 PM

USA! USA! USA!

Haji Wright starting instead of Sargent.

Kane passed the physical, but that does not mean he is at full-strength.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 06:59 PM

Fight ? hahaha

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 07:31 PM

USA playing well. England struggling to deal with their style I think.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 07:55 PM

0-0 at halftime and the US looks quite energetic on the field but it will take more than that to win!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 08:04 PM

Yeah, the US looked more dangerous but nil-nil. England seemed befuddled by the Americans' formation, but expect some tactical changes for the second half. This is what we pay you for egghead. And you couldn't afford a suit jacket or a shirt with a collar or buttons?

A draw here is fine for the US. A win would be better of course. But a draw means the US advances with a win at any scoreline against Iran.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 08:58 PM

Good result for the US. I thought they played well enough to win, but a draw is a good result and their fate is in their hands. Win and move on.

Not sure what the US is doing on corners. They got a lot of them but nothing came out of it at all. Why is there no one on the near post? The area looks barren with most of the team standing outside the box. Clog that sh!t up!

England looked bereft of ideas and their performance surprised me off the back of such a comprehensive win. I reckon whatever good vibes they had from the first game are long gone after this result. They created virtually nothing, nor did the US for that matter, but I expected more out of England in this match. Both sides lacked any sort of threat in the final third.

Good result for the US if they can build on it.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 09:18 PM

I agree with you Dbond, but USA played better. They deserved a win.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/25/22 09:30 PM

Foden should be starting every match for England.

I'm really surprised at what I saw out of England today. Not at all the sort of performance I expected. Kane hardly touched the ball and had to come very deep to get some touches. Maguire and Stones are not good on the ball. The US were no better, mind, but everyone expected England to be the better side here, didn't they?

Southgate is a perpetual tinkerer, and it always feels like every match is an experiment, rather than identifying the best players and formation and going with it. Foden has to play more, doesn't he? I'd start him over Mason Mount anyway.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/26/22 01:32 AM

Did I hear right? In their game against Wales, one of Iran's player is ejected from playing in the next match? I hope that helps USA.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/26/22 06:23 PM

Another win for France. Amazing.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/27/22 03:34 AM

So the US plays Iran on Tuesday. I'm sure the media coverage for that game will be quite interesting.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/27/22 06:25 PM

Really disappointing from Belgium today. There's no way that a side with De Bruyne, Hazard (even this version), Courtois and Lukaku should be this poor. It was a golden generation and it's all been wasted. So much for a dark horse, and they've done next to nothing at all the recent major tournaments. Not sure why I keep thinking this one will be the one. Croatia doesn't have better players than Belgium, but they play so much better.

The Martinez era has to end now, I think. He has a reputation that outstrips his accomplishments. He did OK at Championship side Swansea then went to Wigan. His Wigan teams weren't all that good, but there was one spring, I think it was 2012 or 13 where they were bad enough all year to be in the relegation zone and suddenly starting winning, beating Liverpool, United and some others in the final weeks to avoid relegation. Yeah, it was good stuff, but ignores the position they were in before. Yet that seemingly made his reputation.

He went to Everton after steering Wigan to relegation the next season and did little there before being named Belgium coach and he's had some success. Third in Brazil and top of the world rankings for a time. But all this without winning anything. Time for a change I think.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/27/22 06:46 PM

Giving all the Canadian a big hug. You can win Thursday.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/27/22 08:34 PM

Giving all the Canadian a big hug. You can win Thursday.

Most Canadians only care about one World Cup (next one in 2025). That and the Olympics.
[Linked Image]

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/27/22 09:19 PM

Really disappointing from Belgium today. There's no way that a side with De Bruyne, Hazard (even this version), Courtois and Lukaku should be this poor. It was a golden generation and it's all been wasted. So much for a dark horse, and they've done next to nothing at all the recent major tournaments. Not sure why I keep thinking this one will be the one. Croatia doesn't have better players than Belgium, but they play so much better.

The Martinez era has to end now, I think. He has a reputation that outstrips his accomplishments. He did OK at Championship side Swansea then went to Wigan. His Wigan teams weren't all that good, but there was one spring, I think it was 2012 or 13 where they were bad enough all year to be in the relegation zone and suddenly starting winning, beating Liverpool, United and some others in the final weeks to avoid relegation. Yeah, it was good stuff, but ignores the position they were in before. Yet that seemingly made his reputation.

He went to Everton after steering Wigan to relegation the next season and did little there before being named Belgium coach and he's had some success. Third in Brazil and top of the world rankings for a time. But all this without winning anything. Time for a change I think.

Couldn't say any of that better myself.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/27/22 09:19 PM

I was fully expecting Spain to shellac Germany but it ended up being a 1-1 tie.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/28/22 09:53 AM

I was fully expecting Spain to shellac Germany but it ended up being a 1-1 tie.

With the surprising defeat of Japan by Costa Rica, both teams had more to lose than to gain from an over-agressive posture.
As it stands now, if Spain wins vs. Japan, a German victory is enough to advance, and if Spain draws the German victory needs to be with a +2 or better score. Even with a Japanese victory the German could still afvance (in this case over Spain) - the score just needs to be +8 or better ar15 (as said earlier, they gave Brazil 7 in the semifinals 2014...)

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/28/22 11:36 AM

Cameron and Serbia 3 all 71 minutes

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 02:15 AM

4 matches daily at 4 am, 7 am, 10 am, 1 pm. This week schedule, it's 2 matches at 9 am and 2 matches at 1 pm. Why the change.
Posted By: Roudou

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 05:20 AM

The reason of the change is the match Austria-Germany in FIFA World Cup1982, known as the Disgrace of Gijon. Playing the last two games of each group simultaneously avoid some agreements before the game has started.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 05:49 AM

Thank you Roudou. I Google it. There is no honesty.

tinyurl.com/frjzm7rj

(that is a WIKI link. The WIKI link had strange characters and it will not work after I pasted it here)
Posted By: Ajay

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 09:17 AM

Aussie v the Danes soon. Should be interesting as my daughter has been going out with a Danish lad for about a year now.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ajay
Aussie v the Danes soon. Should be interesting as my daughter has been going out with a Danish lad for about a year now.

Good luck to Australia!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 01:27 PM

My predictions for today's games:

USA over Iran
Netherlands over Qatar
England over Wales
Senegal over Ecuador

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 01:44 PM

Looks good Panzer, but a Wales win or draw would be good and give the US a shot at topping the group. Come on Wales!

What a massive game for the US. Win or go home. There are so many subplots here, but from a sporting point of view it's a big test. Iran are a quality side, and could give the US fits. We've gotten nothing at all out of the striker position so far, they've hardly touched the ball. There has to be better service from midfield and better off-the-ball movement and positioning from the center forward. And who will Berhalter pick? Could he not pick a striker at all, put someone like Reyna in and play a false nine?

I said before the tournament that I wanted to see the US in some version of a 4-5-1. This was for two reasons. one, the US strength and depth is in their midfield, so get more of them on the pitch. And two, because matches are usually won and lost in the midfield, and this formation, or versions of it, allows for better midfield control and prevents getting overrun by better teams. The US has been in a 4-3-3, which when you think about it is a 4-5-1 when they don't have the ball. When they do, the wingers push further up the pitch and then it's a 4-3-3. So essentially it's the same formation with different wing instructions. And it's really worked well for them. In both of their games the US midfield has played well. For three halves out of four (excluding Wales second) they have won this battle. That they haven't turned that good play in to goals is a big problem, and they'll have to hope they find some answers today. They have to score to win.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 04:52 PM

Netherlands 2 Qatar 0 90+3 min. Is is the end of Qatar if they lose?

added::

Qatar loses and is eliminated. Ecuador loses and is eliminated. I think someone in Qatar will lose their heads. For the host nation to lose all 3 games and not advance, that's a big loss of face.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 05:11 PM

Ah so I see I'm 2 for 2 so far with my predictions biggrin
Posted By: Chucky

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 09:02 PM

Did you put a bet on that Panzer? You should have done smile

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 09:05 PM

USA wins 1-0. Iran is out. Iran was cheating. Cheaters are never winners.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 09:12 PM

Congratulations to the US.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 09:22 PM

This is a great day indeed. Looking forward to see which country the US plays next.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 10:24 PM

Iran didnt care how they would win, they just wanted to defeat the USA. It was a great game to watch! GO USA!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 10:44 PM

Looking forward to see which country the US plays next.
That would be The Netherlands.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/29/22 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by mikew

Oh boy. I see the US team has its work cut out for them!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/30/22 04:37 AM

9 am Saturday.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/30/22 11:24 AM

9 am Saturday.

Perfect time for me. I'll be watching the game live.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/30/22 12:53 PM

I will be slumbering.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/30/22 01:02 PM

Great result for the US obviously. Netherlands is the reward.

It's a glass half-empty, glass half-full sort of thing.

One one hand, the US didn't lose a game in the group stage, and only conceded once, a penalty.

On the other hand they only scored two goals and created few real chances. Despite the possession and application, there's not much cutting edge in their attack. Set pieces, which I thought would be a strength, have instead been abysmal, and it's hard to believe that their corner routine is intentional.

But through they are, and credit to the team for playing with such determination. I don't expect a win against the Oranje, but you never know. The ball is round as they say in Norway.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/30/22 02:51 PM

Predictions for today:

France over Tunisia
Mexico over Saudi Arabia
Argentina over Poland
Denmark over Australia

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/30/22 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chucky
Did you put a bet on that Panzer? You should have done smile

Unfortunately I don't have a bookie in Vegas!
Posted By: rollnloop.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/30/22 05:00 PM

GL to US team next game, and bravo for beating Iran.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/30/22 05:06 PM

Holy smokes. I was wrong with picking France and Denmark to win.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/30/22 05:52 PM

I pick France too. Just now seeing the score online. What happened, France?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/30/22 06:06 PM

They made nine changes to their starting eleven since they had already qualified. Even so, France's B team should prevail against Tunisia. In the end it didn't matter, but they could have lost the top spot, claiming it in the end only on goal difference over Australia after they beat Denmark. They still cleared it by four goals, so it wasn't really in doubt, was it? But there's also something to be said for continuity and momentum in knock out tournaments. This loss shouldn't dent France, but the football gods are fickle.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/30/22 06:58 PM

I think that's good, this way they won't think they're invincible and get complacent ,as previous WC winner french teams tend to be.

And that's a good consolation prize for Tunisia who's out.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/30/22 07:05 PM

I'd agree with that if the first eleven had suffered this loss. As it is, those players had little to do with it and I reckon won't be affected. But that's sports and anything could happen.

You could be right and it's the wakeup call they didn't know they needed. France are strong enough to shrug it off and deliver on the pitch. Too much quality all over.

Do they get the second-placed team from group C? That could be Argentina or Poland. Or Mexico. Hell even the Saudis. That group is still all to play for.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 11/30/22 07:21 PM

France has a large tunisian population.
May be that was in play as well?
If France had won and Tunisia was kicked out I`m sure I wouldn`t want go out on the streets of Paris tonight.

Not surprising or novel.
I remember a match between Germany and Austria where most of the action happened around the mid circle.
Both teams went further in the cup.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/01/22 11:38 AM

Mexico wins but is out of the World Cup. For one goal? https://nypost.com/2022/11/30/mexico-eliminated-from-2022-world-cup-on-crushing-tiebreaker/

The total goals each team is scored in all the games they played are counted. I just learn something new.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/01/22 11:44 AM

Yup, that's how it has worked in the World Cup tournament for a long time. Needless to say, there were many people at my office yesterday who were disappointed and saddened.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/01/22 04:48 PM

Let's go Canada! You can do it. Kill Kill Kill!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/01/22 05:36 PM

It`s football ....

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/01/22 10:11 PM

Aussies v Argentina 5am here on Sunday. The whole country is going to be awake early.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/01/22 10:33 PM

... and Germany is out - and we almost took Spain with us. For a few minutes it was Japan & Costa Rica to go on, but then Germany scored again, allowing Spain to make the cut, despite their defeat against Japan..

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/02/22 02:10 AM

Netherlands USA, France Poland, Australia Argentina, England Senegal, Japan Croatia, Morocco Spain. https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/2022-fifa-world-cup/scores

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/02/22 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by WhoCares
... and Germany is out - and we almost took Spain with us. For a few minutes it was Japan & Costa Rica to go on, but then Germany scored again, allowing Spain to make the cut, despite their defeat against Japan..

I still don't quite understand how the rationale works with which teams progress and which ones don't. It should just be based on simple wins and losses in my opinion.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/02/22 01:51 PM

High drama yesterday, with Japan through and Germany out. That was a difficult one to take I am sure, but they didn't do enough to advance. That's two straight World Cups where the Germans failed to advance from their group. That fifth star will have to wait.

I still don't quite understand how the rationale works with which teams progress and which ones don't. It should just be based on simple wins and losses in my opinion.

There has to be tie breaker, or count back as I think they say across the pond. Imagine a scenario where each team in a group goes 1-1-1. Who advances? So the tie breakers determine who goes through in the event more than one team has the same number of points after the three group stage matches. In the World Cup these are

1. Goal Difference
2. Goals scored
3. Head to Head
4. Head to head goal difference
5. Head to head goals scored
6. Disciplinary record (yellow and red cards)
7. Coin flip (actually, drawing lots)

Spain's 7-0 win in the first round doomed Germany and they were eliminated on goal difference. In Russia in 2018, Senegal were sent home after being eliminated by the sixth tie breaker, disciplinary record, and are the only team ever to have suffered this fate.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/02/22 02:04 PM

Thanks for that great explanation DBond.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 02:37 AM

Uruguay will not be in next World Cup. No manners. https://www.foxnews.com/sports/2022...sly-chase-referees-following-elimination

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 02:17 PM

Massive match for the United States today against Holland, the Dutch the Netherlands. The Netherlands are a good side, but perhaps not quite the juggernaut they've been in the past. The total football image doesn't apply to the current team I don't think, where defense might be considered their best asset. Up front there are questions, with the lineup seemingly in flux and the players not picking themselves as they might have done in the past. It will be interesting to see who Van Gaal names to the starting eleven. De Jong's been a standout in the midfield so far, but the rest of the midfield has not matched his heights.

Even so, they will be favorites against a US squad who play with conviction but little cutting edge. The US needs a much better final ball, for all of their application and hustle there's little end product. The midfield and fullbacks have been really good through the tournament I think, but clear cut chances have been scarce. If the US plays to their potential there's every chance to win this match today, but they'll need to be at their best. And we need someone to clinically finish the chances that come. And too, we could use some proper managing, with effective adjustments as the game inevitably changes, and I just don't have faith in the manager to be able to do this.

Lineups are in and it appears the Netherlands will go with their funky 3-4-1-2 formation with Depay and the in-form Gakpo up top. The US are mixing things up. Same 4-3-3, but with Pulisic on the left, Weah in the center and Ferreira gets his first action on the right. That's a lot of pace up front for the US and they'll be hoping to sit on shoulders and run in behind the back three of the Netherlands. Interesting tweak here by Berhalter and I rather like it. A back three can be exploited with overlaps from the fullbacks and I think the US will look to take advantatge here.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 02:40 PM

bad news for Netherlands https://nypost.com/2022/12/02/netherlands-battling-flu-ahead-of-usmnt-world-cup-showdown/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucel...rld-cup-match-versus-us/?sh=10fcd9fe6188

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 03:01 PM

Game starting. Go USA!!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 03:13 PM

Ah fuk. Netherlands got a goal.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 03:19 PM

Massive match for the United States today against Holland, the Dutch the Netherlands. The Netherlands are a good side, but perhaps not quite the juggernaut they've been in the past. The total football image doesn't apply to the current team I don't think, where defense might be considered their best asset. Up front there are questions, with the lineup seemingly in flux and the players not picking themselves as they might have done in the past. It will be interesting to see who Van Gaal names to the starting eleven. De Jong's been a standout in the midfield so far, but the rest of the midfield has not matched his heights.

Even so, they will be favorites against a US squad who play with conviction but little cutting edge. The US needs a much better final ball, for all of their application and hustle there's little end product. The midfield and fullbacks have been really good through the tournament I think, but clear cut chances have been scarce. If the US plays to their potential there's every chance to win this match today, but they'll need to be at their best. And we need someone to clinically finish the chances that come. And too, we could use some proper managing, with effective adjustments as the game inevitably changes, and I just don't have faith in the manager to be able to do this.

Lineups are in and it appears the Netherlands will go with their funky 3-4-1-2 formation with Depay and the in-form Gakpo up top. The US are mixing things up. Same 4-3-3, but with Pulisic on the left, Weah in the center and Ferreira gets his first action on the right. That's a lot of pace up front for the US and they'll be hoping to sit on shoulders and run in behind the back three of the Netherlands. Interesting tweak here by Berhalter and I rather like it. A back three can be exploited with overlaps from the fullbacks and I think the US will look to take advantatge here.

I predicted 2-1 USA and even though Netherlands just scored I stand by it fingers crossed. Really like the current USA team. Pulisic is brilliant when he gets the chance.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 03:50 PM

Well that's sealed it. Gutted for them as they play so well.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 03:51 PM

Oh sheet! The US goalie didn't even try to block it. He stand there looking at it go by.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 04:08 PM

Good effort Team USA. Maybe next time.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 04:10 PM

With the US out, I'll be rooting for England!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 05:10 PM

Poor result today, and a round of 16 exit was probably about right. Disappointing, but objectively i didn't expect the US to get a win today. You're not going to win too many matches against quality opposition with that sort of defensive positioning. Pulisic should have done better with that early chance, but otherwise they again had too few chances from all that hard work and good play. They rarely look dangerous in the final third.

Hopefully this is the end for Berhalter.

Congrats to Netherlands.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 06:16 PM

Go Australia??

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 06:40 PM

I had to sleep on the couch because Brazil lost yesterday.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter

?????

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 08:30 PM

Australia losing. I chose two losers today.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 08:58 PM

Australians were total heroes. Best game I've seen so far.

Sorry they are out.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/03/22 09:18 PM

USA and Aussies out, i gotta get back to bed now biggrin

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/04/22 04:53 AM

?????

Do you even Brazilian mulher, bro?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/04/22 01:32 PM

?????

?????

Do you even Brazilian mulher, bro?

?????? Not understand.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/04/22 02:07 PM

Tente o Google .

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/04/22 05:07 PM

France wins 3-1 against Poland. Oui Oui!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/04/22 05:18 PM

Well that's sealed it. Gutted for them as they play so well.
'

We appreciate the support. Yeah, it's too bad. I think the US played well enough to show the world we have good players. But we are still some way from being a team that can contend on the international stage. Hosting the tournament in 2026 is a great chance for this squad to make that next step. Another cycle, and four years to find the striker we need so desperately. Strikers score goals, and the US can use some of that. But aside from banging them in, a top class center forward also impacts the match off the ball with movement and well-timed runs, and leads the press. A good center forward will create more scoring chances and open up space for other attackers by drawing defenders out of position. We really had none of this in Qatar. All the good midfield play resulted in so little end product, the possession coming to an end when they just appear to run out of space or run in to dead ends.

This US squad was the second-youngest US WC squad ever. We have four years to fill the holes and show up as hosts in 2026 with a real shot at doing some damage with a player core in their primes.

Back to the World Cup. Congrats to France who are looking like the best side in Qatar. They suffered so many injuries in the run up to the tournament (Kante, Benzema, Pogba, Nkunku, Kimpembe, etc) that I thought they would suffer. But man, what depth. They haven't missed a beat, and are flying. it helps to have players like Mbappe of course, but what about Giroud? Everywhere he goes he scores goals, yet has always been underrated. And now he is France's all time leading scorer, passing Thierry Henry in the record books. That's remarkable for a player who no one seems to rate. Congrats to him. What an achievement.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/05/22 09:26 AM

I will support our England neighbor for the rest of the World Cup.

England fights France 12/10 1 pm.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/05/22 01:12 PM

That was a good performance from England. I said earlier that Foden should be starting every game, and they sure look more dangerous with him on the pitch. The match with France should be a good one. I think France have a little more, but if England play like they did yesterday you never know. Senegal were disappointing after the first ten minutes, but that doesn't take away from the England performance. Getting to the quarters would have been the minimum expectation and it gets much harder from here.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/05/22 01:20 PM

So it's England vs. France. I will not miss that game!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/06/22 07:42 AM

Brazil punish South Korea 4-1. Brazil plays Croatia Friday 9 am

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/06/22 10:18 AM

No couch for CH this time eh ? rofl

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/06/22 11:36 AM

Brazil is looking mighty strong. I think they will go all the way.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/07/22 10:35 AM

Maybe England and Argentina will play again.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/07/22 01:59 PM

Congrats to Morocco.For a scoreless match that was some high drama.

Spain were shockingly disappointing, but they have four years to work it out now. The Moroccan fans have been amazing in Qatar, the team plays with determination and not a little skill and that was great to watch.

Dropping Ronaldo to the bench was brave from the Portgual boss. But after his tantrum and poor play, the move was self-evident. It still took guts, and I won't go so far as to say the way Portugal played yesterday was because Ronaldo was not in the side. But I can suggest it haha. Regardless of whether their improved play was because of his absence, it will be difficult to bring him back in after such a display. They were rampant, and suddenly look like serious contenders.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/07/22 02:10 PM

Really hoping the Netherlands spanks Argentina.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/07/22 02:40 PM

I am new to soccer. I've watched a few games this year on FOX and there were occasions where I thought what the Fuk the announcers are saying or shut up so we can concentrate on the play on the field. During the US Iran game one of the announcer blabbered on and it muted out the game play and the crowd noise and the play by play call. Or when they cut to the lady reporter on the sideline to get her report on interviewing the players and coaches at half time and she also blabbered on and the camera is staying on her instead of on the game that's going on behind her.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/05/fox-sports-us-world-cup-coverage-tv-soccer

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/07/22 03:20 PM

Harsh, but true.

The announcers are trash. That article spared Mo Edu, and good thing, because I was getting ready to defend him after reading the piece, but he was not singled out. He's good and I like him.

"delivered his signature rants with all the enthusiasm of someone who’s blown past the discomfort of knowing that no one else on set finds him interesting or funny"

Bang. I know Alexi Lalas. We both attended Rutgers University at the same time, ran in the same circles and hung out at the same parties and frat houses. He was a d-bag then, except with much worse hair. He doesn't belong on our broadcasts, but there he is every time. Why, exactly, do they keep bringing him back?

Dellacamera has a very annoying habit of over-pronouncing anything that isn't American. Adding syllables and inflections to sound worldly. It fails.

I also know Stu Holden. I used to date a girl who lived in Sugarland, Texas, and Stu was her neighbor. Nice guy. Was playing for Bolton at the time and had broken his leg. But just non-stop jabbering through the match. Hard to dislike the guy, but I don't want to listen to him when watching footie.

Give me Sky's football coverage every time over the nonsense the US broadcasters serve up.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/07/22 04:00 PM

Harsh, but true.

The announcers are trash. That article spared Mo Edu, and good thing, because I was getting ready to defend him after reading the piece, but he was not singled out. He's good and I like him.

"delivered his signature rants with all the enthusiasm of someone who’s blown past the discomfort of knowing that no one else on set finds him interesting or funny"

Bang. I know Alexi Lalas. We both attended Rutgers University at the same time, ran in the same circles and hung out at the same parties and frat houses. He was a d-bag then, except with much worse hair. He doesn't belong on our broadcasts, but there he is every time. Why, exactly, do they keep bringing him back?

Dellacamera has a very annoying habit of over-pronouncing anything that isn't American. Adding syllables and inflections to sound worldly. It fails.

I also know Stu Holden. I used to date a girl who lived in Sugarland, Texas, and Stu was her neighbor. Nice guy. Was playing for Bolton at the time and had broken his leg. But just non-stop jabbering through the match. Hard to dislike the guy, but I don't want to listen to him when watching footie.

Give me Sky's football coverage every time over the nonsense the US broadcasters serve up.

Dbond,

I know the BBC are quite dividing but their sport coverage is pretty good.

Gary Lineker is pretty good at presenting.

Not sure if you can get via VPN or BBC America but maybe worth a shot. ITV is also pretty sound for world cup coverage.

We have poor coverage of American Football over here. Shame as love the game.

FIFA World Cup 2022, The Best Matches So Far: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0dm4z83 via @bbciplayer

Worth a try at least?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/07/22 04:20 PM

Thanks Ross. Thing is, I want to watch it on my brand new OLED. Maybe I could use the smart side of the TV to find alternative coverage, and I don't want to watch the matches streamed on the PC. That's a 32" curved display, which is pretty nice, but half the size of the TV.

And besides, I could then not complain about the broadcasting team biggrin

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/07/22 04:24 PM

If you want the ultimate example of over the top soccer commentators look no further than Telemundo. Living in Miami it's unfortunately impossible to stay away from that network if you have any interest in the sport.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/07/22 04:26 PM

I watch the Champion's League in Spanish and hardly understand a word of it. No english-speaking channel carries the UCL anymore on my FIOS. So I watch the spanish channel. I don't need to understand them anyway, and even if I did I would probably just complain about how bad they are.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/07/22 09:57 PM

This pick Brazil as best semi final team

https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/12/07/world-cup-quarterfinals-power-rankings-brazil-france-england

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/09/22 04:23 PM

Croatia Brazil 0-0. I feel a slumber hitting me.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/09/22 05:15 PM

GOAL for Brazil!!!!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/09/22 05:49 PM

Brazil lost!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/09/22 05:53 PM

Wow. What an amazing comeback win by Croatia. Well done Croatia!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/09/22 05:53 PM

My brackets are shattered. That's why we play 'em!

Well done to Croatia. They've proved 2018 was no fluke. Modric is a phenomenal footballer. Metronomic.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/09/22 06:00 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/09/22 11:52 PM

Argentina nukes Netherlands and will fight Croatia next Tuesday.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 12:25 AM

They did? The Dutch tied the game in reg time and had to go to shoot out.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 01:28 PM

DBond,

Predictions for England vs France later?

I'm going for 2-1 to France. I so hope I am wrong.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 01:31 PM

DBond,

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 01:57 PM

France is indeed the favored team but then again Spain and Brazil both lost their matches.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 01:57 PM

DBond,

If I were putting money on it I'd agree and go with France. They play a more expansive football, higher tempo. I think England might have problems containing the French attack. I expect Mbappe to gives a Stones/Maguire pairing fits. As good as Mbappe has been, two other players have really impressed me in this WC for France. Rabiot and Griezmann. Rabiot has taken his chance with both hands after Kante and Pogba were ruled out. And Griezmann has looked a new player, even in this new role. Lloris though is always near a howler so we will see.

Knockout games are usually won and lost in the midfield and this battle could go either way. Bellingham has had a fantastic tournament and his price tag is rising with every match. So for me it will be down to tactics and being clinical with the chances that fall. Let's see who Southgate names in the starting eleven. Foden has to start. But the midfield is up in the air I think.

I'll say 3-1 France.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 03:28 PM

I choose England

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 03:50 PM

You really need to look up the meaning of the word "fight". You keep using it, and does in no way apply to soccer.
Do you describe a tennis match as a fight ?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 04:33 PM

Another upset in the making? Morocco up 1-0 against Portugal.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 04:38 PM

You really need to look up the meaning of the word "fight". You keep using it, and does in no way apply to soccer.

I think he means the fans afterwards, or maybe during....or both.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 04:50 PM

I was afraid the Dutch were invading the Balkans. It's not that?

Smash and grab for Morocco? Less than 30% of the ball and the lead. This is why we play 'em! Hakimi has been excellent all tournament. Morocco's just a plucky underdog that doesn't quit. Still time, but what a result this would be, Morocco in the semis! Their fans deserve nothing less.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 05:13 PM

And Morocco pulls off the upset!! Congrats to Morocco!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 05:18 PM

I think he means the fans afterwards, or maybe during....or both.

That would make more sense haha.

Speaking of which, looks like there was some shenanigans in Boston last night. Turn on sound. Take note of the 17 second mark. BTW, the guy in the higher seats always has a massive advantage.Boston Bruins fan fight

Now back to World Cup. I'm not looking to derail.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 06:01 PM

I am watching Tik Tok live feed of fans celeberating Morocco win.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 07:51 PM

England 0 France 1 at half

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 07:59 PM

Go Frogs go!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 08:15 PM

1-1 !!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 08:40 PM

oh no France scores

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 08:42 PM

Nasty penalty by France.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 09:02 PM

#%&*$# it England! You let me down!

Go Frogs go!

Frogs have one purpose

[Linked Image]

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 09:12 PM

DBond,

My two boys literally cried.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 09:18 PM

That final penalty kick was SO close. This was a truly epic game.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 09:22 PM

No major sporting event should be decided by a one man, skills competition.
Sudden death overtime. It's a team sport.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 09:23 PM

Well, you nailed the prediction if it's any consolation.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 09:31 PM

Well, you nailed the prediction if it's any consolation.

I'll pass that on to them 😂

I predict France to win. Their overall game is too strong.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 09:45 PM

My condolences to English football fans. I'm not a football fan, but I know how much it means to them. On par to what hockey means to Canada I'm sure. ( I refuse to call it ice hockey)
My Great Grandfather was born in London, England. In the district of Poplar. From what I can gather, it was a pretty rough area back then. He fought in the first World War, but he was a Canadian by that point.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 09:52 PM

My condolences to English football fans. I'm not a football fan, but I know how much it means to them. On par to what hockey means to Canada I'm sure. ( I refuse to call it ice hockey)
My Great Grandfather was born in London, England. In the district of Poplar. From what I can gather, it was a pretty rough area back then. He fought in the first World War, but he was a Canadian by that point.

Your great grandfather did well to get out of Poplar back then! It's a bit better now. Very expensive place to live.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poplar,_London

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 10:07 PM

Your great grandfather did well to get out of Poplar back then! It's a bit better now. Very expensive place to live.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poplar,_London

I was curious one day, what football club would be closest to my roots. Would it be West Ham United F.C. ?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 10:16 PM

They say England won World Cup only once in1966. 14 World Cup since 1966 and England advance to semi-finals only 5 times in those 56 years.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 10:24 PM

They say England won World Cup only once in1966. 14 World Cup since 1966 and England advance to semi-finals only 5 times in those 56 years.

Reminds me of my Toronto Maple Leafs.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/10/22 10:44 PM

If Morocco beats France that will send shockwaves throughout the sport.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/11/22 02:09 AM

A hot goal tender is always a bonus in a win or go home playoff game. |France had one of those today.
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/11/22 09:51 PM

Kane’s 2nd penalty kick would have been a beauty had it been a rugby game biggrin

Cheers,
Slug

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/11/22 11:15 PM

The Brazilian national coach is not a popular guy right now among Brazilians, I can tell you that much.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/12/22 12:20 AM

Argentina Croatia 1 pm Tuesday.

France Morocco 1 pm Wednesday.

Winners play in the Super Bowl of Soccer.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/12/22 11:33 AM

I think it would be totally awesome if the championship ends up being Croatia vs. Morocco.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/12/22 02:05 PM

Argentina Croatia 1 pm Tuesday.

France Morocco 1 pm Wednesday.

Winners play in the Super Bowl of Soccer.

December 18th 9 am is the Super Bowl of Soccer.

Losers play for 3rd place December 17th 9 am.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/12/22 02:23 PM

Dis is accurate. I see those players falling down faking injury. They look around for the ref to foul the opponent and when there is none, they stand up and I am okay now, it was nada. BS! 1 minute ago you were rolling on the ground with painful face and screaming like your leg is broken in 10 parts. Players who do that should get a yellow card each time and the rules should be the same, 2 yellow cards = ejection.

Posted By: Chucky

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/12/22 03:05 PM

This is why I stopped watching (and caring) about the men's game. I wouldn't have watched England even if they had made it to the final.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/12/22 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chucky
This is why I stopped watching (and caring) about the men's game. I wouldn't have watched England even if they had made it to the final.

It really does damage the image of the sport.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/12/22 04:42 PM

The Iran USA game, the Iranians did it often. Dad and I we were screaming at TV.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/12/22 06:21 PM

Dis is accurate. I see those players falling down faking injury. They look around for the ref to foul the opponent and when there is none, they stand up and I am okay now, it was nada. BS! 1 minute ago you were rolling on the ground with painful face and screaming like your leg is broken in 10 parts. Players who do that should get a yellow card each time and the rules should be the same, 2 yellow cards = ejection.

Some leagues have started giving yellows for simulation.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/12/22 06:57 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/12/22 07:16 PM

Thank you Crane for the good laugh.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/12/22 11:29 PM

France vs Morocco today,one of my fav teams will make it to final woohoooooooo copter

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/12/22 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by rollnloop.
France vs Morocco today,one of my fav teams will make it to final woohoooooooo copter

Morocco?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/13/22 12:29 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On the other end of the spectrum, you have Duncan Keith who had 10 teeth knocked out, and he kept playing.

LINK

edit _ I had no idea he was called Duncan Teeth after that , haha.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/13/22 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by rollnloop.

Morocco?

Why not ?

They play a very similar game to what France played in 2018, they have the highest motivation.

France can win by a margin if there's an early goal , or lose on a counter attack, or at penalty kicks.

A large morocco victory would be a surprise but who knows ?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/13/22 01:55 PM

So Argentina vs. Croatia today. Any predictions?

I'm rooting for Croatia.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/13/22 02:19 PM

I have no clue. Aren't they underdogs that no one thought would get very far?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/13/22 03:14 PM

Considering that they came in second in the last world cup 4 years ago I wouldn't see Croatia complete underdogs. But it's one of those "golden generation" kinda teams around Luca Modric, with that generation getting kinda old.
But to some extend that could aslo be said of Argentina, with the likes of Di Maria and Messi. But then Messi gets the ball and they become favorites, at least for that match wink

For the tournament, with the limited amount I have seen of the various matches, I'd consider France showed the most convincing performance overall.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/13/22 07:42 PM

39 minutes, Argentina leading 2-0. Can Croatia rebound from behind?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/13/22 07:44 PM

Can Croatia rebound from behind?

Maybe but I wouldn't bet on it. There have been a couple of games this tournament where a team came back and won from a 2 goal deficit but it's definitely not a common thing.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/13/22 08:30 PM

Croatia done. 3-0.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/14/22 11:46 AM

I have a feeling that France will be winning today so the WC championship will be a battle between two titans.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/14/22 01:08 PM

Clinical win yesterday for Argentina, with a Messi masterclass for good measure. A World Cup win for him is what I want to see. No career deserves it more, and I hope when he hangs up his boots he can count the 2022 WC among his trophies. He's carried them this far, and whether they can't get over that final hurdle remains to be seen. Argentina has failed to deliver throughout Messi's career, but that Copa win maybe was the thing that convinced them they could do it. France or Morocco will have something to say about it.

That was a thumping penalty Messi hit yesterday too.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/14/22 01:28 PM

I have a feeling that France will be winning today so the WC championship will be a battle between two titans.

As it should be. Upsets and underdogs are fun, but for the final match don't you want to see the very best play each other for that #1 spot?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/14/22 07:07 PM

WOW! 5 min in and France scores.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/14/22 08:41 PM

France 2-0. Their player just came on substitution and in less than 1 minutes he scores.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/14/22 08:59 PM

France wins 2.0 and go on to play Argentina on Sunday in the Final. France is the first team to appear in successive World Cup final. Soccer fans are fully dedicated. The Morocco fans were crying. I seen 1000 American NFL and College football and can't remember seeing crying fans even when their team is losing in the Super Bowl or Rose Bowl.

Saturday 9 am Croatia Morocco for 3rd place

Sunday 9 am Argentina France for Championship.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/14/22 09:47 PM

Italy was the first to win two world cups in a row.

Let's hope France will join sunday, but Argentina will be a tough nut.

Sad for Morocco, there was an immense display of respect between players and coaches after the game. They were a great opponent, somewhat unlucky.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/15/22 08:39 AM

Respect fot Morocco, very good performance in which they showed that they were not just lucky but deserved to play that semi-final. Might have been, that the early French goal forced them right away on a more offensive stance than likely planned, but they perfomed well in that role.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/15/22 11:39 AM

Don't really care who wins on Sunday but I'm looking forward to seeing some crying fans of whichever team loses. biggrin

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/18/22 04:47 PM

It's 2-2 at 81 minutes. France scores 2 goals in 1 minute 35 seconds. WOW!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/18/22 05:06 PM

Go Frogs!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/18/22 05:39 PM

Dang! 3-3 in Extra Time with 2 minutes left.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/18/22 06:06 PM

That was exciting Final.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/18/22 06:08 PM

WP argentina, well deserved and a nice career end for Messi.

Nice match to watch too, from 70th minute onward.

Mbappé and the other youngsters fought hard, made us proud.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/18/22 07:49 PM

Best team won. Though France were totally brilliant also. Penalties are not the best way to decide the winner, though Argentina would of won in any case I believe.

Well done Argentina.

Commiserations to France, you will come back I'm sure.
Posted By: Phoenix54C

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/18/22 08:29 PM

Great match,

Kudos to both teams...
Posted By: bones

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/18/22 08:45 PM

I have waited soooo long for an Argentina World Cup win with Messi. I've had so many heatrbreaks over those years, especially the Argentina V Germany match in 2014. Seeing Messi's penalty kick soar over the post and essentially lose the World Cup was heartbreaking, then there was Copa America, then his retirement from international play in 2016, then with his return, getting knocked out of the 2018 World Cup. Things seemed to pick up with a Copa America win, but then there was the trade to PSG. WOrld Cup came again, and there was that shicking loss to Saudi Arabia. But they kept going until today.

And along with my past heartbreaks, there was my heart skipping beats and stopping several times this morning with my blood pressure being taxed! COuld the match have gotten any nail biter? At 2-0 I was like, they might actually do it this time! But I didn't want to believe it lest I set myself up for disappointment. I just wanted them to keep going and to not give anything away.

France's 1st goal, and then the 2nd right after it was a heartbreaker and knocked the wind out of me. Hats off to Mbappe on those. But when it went to extended time, and so many goal attempts almost avoiding that, I was really getting anxious. The 3rd goal by Messi should have been it, but France played on and again hats off to Mbappe, in both ways, with that hat trick! BUt that again for me to the point of shivering (although it is cold here in Chicago).

When it went to penalties, now I felt like I was on the precipice. Pucker factor way up, even after their leading goals and France's misses. Anything could have still happened, but it was so hard and so close that when Argentina finally got the winning penalty kick, I think the team was shocked as much as I was. No one ran out to the goal in a mad frenzy of celebration--I think they were just dumbfounded, and so was I. I was like, "Did he make it? Did we win?" and then when his shirt came off it dawned on me and I managed a yelp and a jump but still being in overly-cautious-don't-jinkx=it mode, I was undure if I could continue. I think the rest of the team was the same way.

When I saw his shirt come off, one of the men who had the best view to see if they had won or not, I then know it was for real.

I still can't believe it, and I was shaking from joy. What a fine way for Messi to end his career, which to me is bittersweet, but I am so happy for him and for ARgentina, he and they really earned it.

Mbappe: I feel really bad for him, I do, and he did play VERY well. But Mbappe, you are young and have a whole career ahead of you and I am certain that Messi's torchwillbe passed to you and you will be one of the best if not the greatest player of your time and I look forward to seeing your career develop!

Well played, France, you did fight hard and well.

But congratulations Argentina, I'm so happy and so happy for you, especially Messi!

v6,
boNes

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/18/22 10:02 PM

That French player kicking the ball wide of the goal. SMDH!

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/18/22 10:40 PM

It would be nice if the game could be decided in extra time. /maybe take 2 players from each team to open up the field. Was a great game, congrats ARG.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/19/22 02:05 AM

Got to admit it was a great game! While I wasn’t a big fan of Argentina, I was even less if a fan of France, was sitting on the pier in Southern CA eating my breakfast and drinking my first Irish coffee of the day and watching the game on a huge TV. It was as much fun watching the people in all colors and all states of dress. While I hate the politics, this is a fun place to spend the winter. By the way it was freakin cold at home today.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/19/22 03:53 AM

Congrats to Argentina! The French team put up a great fight.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/22/22 02:56 AM

I'm a little concerned about you soccer fans...

[Linked Image]

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/29/22 09:58 PM

Just see this. The story says he is one greatest soccer player

https://www.espn.com/soccer/brazil-bra/story/4840126/peleking-of-beautiful-game,-dies-aged-82

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/30/22 11:46 AM

Just see this. The story says he is one greatest soccer player

https://www.espn.com/soccer/brazil-bra/story/4840126/peleking-of-beautiful-game,-dies-aged-82

You've not heard of Pele before you read that article?

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/31/22 12:05 AM

No.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 12/31/22 04:20 PM

Don't blame, I don't know any US football player but Tom Brady (not even sure of spelling) 🤣, had he not been still famous this or last year, wouldn't even have heard of him.

Yes Pelé was nicknamed "the king" for a reason, and Brasil refers him more than any player since I think.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 01/01/23 12:47 AM

Unlike Tom Brady, Pele was known worldwide.

Re: World Cup 2022 - 01/02/23 03:53 PM

Wow he is like their Queen Elizabeth.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/02/football/pele-wake-santos-urbano-caldeira-stadium-spt-intl/index.html

Re: World Cup 2022 - 03/23/23 01:50 AM

mayeb a new record

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2023/0...ccer-goal-Leandro-Requena/8541679507456/

© 2024 SimHQ Forums