homepage

Hurricane Ian

Posted By: oldgrognard

Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 04:49 PM

Thought to open its own thread.

Couple members are in Florida.

Me, CyBerkut, Nixer, Panzer. There are at least two others. I’m closest to the projected landfall. If it goes in as projected, I will be on the north eye wall. I have boarded up my house, filled the cars with gas, gotten a bit more water and propane, got more batteries for flashlights, moved all the patio furniture into the house, etc.

Very conflicting info on expected wind speed.the tv is saying 90 plus for my area, but my aviation weather says under 50. My thoughts are that the aviation is going to be more correct and that the tv numbers are hyped. Storm surge shouldn’t affect me even though I’m very near the coast.
Posted By: RossUK

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 04:52 PM

Good luck. Is it standard to prepare like you have and are there people that are ignorant to it? We rarely have that sort of weather. Are your home's built with things built in to help?
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 04:56 PM

Stay safe everyone in Florida! We'll get the leftovers in Georgia.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 05:23 PM

Looks like KRT_Bong is going to be in the worst of it. Pretty much in the eye of it.
Posted By: Wigean

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 05:38 PM

I have a forecast here that says 35kts and 15 inches of rain in your area on thursday.

I hope you guys manage with no damages.
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 05:40 PM

Hitting as a Cat 1 or less (hopefully) and not a 4 ...... thank the good Lord for small favors !
Posted By: ebud

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Thought to open its own thread.

Couple members are in Florida.

... If it goes in as projected, I will be on the north eye wall...

We are over here east side of Orlando and hoping for the best...good luck all! Gonna be an interesting couple of days.
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 05:43 PM

I will pray to God for all of you. Hope you got extra batteries for your cell phones.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 05:54 PM

For my area the NOAA is predicting tropical storm conditions. In other words I have nothing to worry about. I just hope the Tampa Bay area doesn’t get hit as hard as is being predicted.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wigean
I have a forecast here that says 35kts and 15 inches of rain in your area on thursday.

I hope you guys manage with no damages.

Which area are you referring to ?

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 06:29 PM

It now appears that it could hit Sarasota County coastline as a Cat 3 before moving north.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 06:37 PM

Go away Ian. No one wants you!

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/161142.shtml?cone#contents
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 08:53 PM

Excellent article here: Eye on the Storm

Detailed but not so technical I can't get the main points. Interesting thoughts on Storm Surge, at least to me as I never have had to deal with it coming in from the back side of a storm. The cold front that is turning this beast easterly seems to have stopped moving southward and is sitting still just north of me. Looking a numerous radars this thing 30 minutes ago was stretching from west of Havana, Cuba to over 50 miles offshore of Cape Canaveral.

Predicting 10" to 15" of rain in my area, heck in everybody's but Panzer's area. Staying at my place tonight and maybe till after the rain if we only get tropical storm winds. Tonight I am going to waterproof my art supplies stash that I have been accumulating for the past few years with extra college funds. Good watercolors, brushes and especially the excellent imported paper has doubled in price in the last couple of years, even tripled in a couple cases.

Waiting on the 1700 update now. My old butt is worn out, been at it since 0630. Beer time.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 09:10 PM

NHC ..... "The new forecast is near the last one, a little higher than the consensus.
I should note that whether Ian comes ashore as category 4 hurricane
or a large category 3 after an eyewall cycle, avoiding a large and
destructive hurricane for Florida seems very unlikely"

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 10:41 PM

It is indeed a LARGE hurricane. Ian is doing a couple of things that vex me a bit.

Firstly, it may be the most "lopsided" hurricane I have ever seen, or at least recall. Most hurricanes are "heavy" in the east side compare to the west, this one just seems extra lopsided. Hurricanes are always more violent east of the eye and have more rain, wind and especially storm surge. This is why I was very happy when CyBer informed me it was now predicted to pass EAST of us, putting us west of the eye.

Here's what I mean about lopsided as of now as I type this. This is Key West Radar

Notice how little activity there is in the NW, W, and especially the SW quadrants.

Now click the other FL radars, if you are interested. Melbourne especially shows how far into the Atlantic this beast extends. Just seems extra lopsided to me, and being on the predicted west side of the eye, that makes me less nervous about this.

Now secondly, the cold front over north central FL, which according to the MyRadar pro app, has been sitting right on top of my head for the last three hours. I don't usually plug apps but if you live in hurricane zones its a huge winner. The app is free and the hurricane addon was a few bucks one time cost. Anyway it is so weird for me to watch the northern rain bands of Ian literally bouncing off that front while moving east to west. Storm front associated with northern hemisphere cold fronts always move west to east (clockwise), EXCEPT hurricanes moving counter clockwise. I have never seen a cold front, and it's associated wind shear acting like a barrier. I just which it would get off my house and head a little further south!

Ok, I'll shut up now. yep

edit: The radar stuff I linked was as of 1830 Tues 27 Sep. If you are looking at it tomorrow it may be completely different. Oh and you can't see the cold front I am talking about unless you have the MyRadar app.

re-edit: at 1845 the MyRadar folks changed that front on my head from a cold front to an occluded front, a stationary front. How that affects the wind shear and turning I don't know.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 10:57 PM

There has been a slow but steady drift to the south and landfall is now a good bit south of Tampa. Good news for me, Cyber and Nixer. Not so good for Sarasota, Naples, and Venice. That is the sad thing about these; good news for some means bad news for others. There are no winners unless it stays out to sea and dissipates before any landfall.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by RossUK
Good luck. Is it standard to prepare like you have and are there people that are ignorant to it? We rarely have that sort of weather. Are your home's built with things built in to help?

Level of prep varies. I would say that I do more than average. There are only a couple houses in our development that have boarded. I am the only on one on my block. But it is easy for me. I have the studs permanently in my walls and have room in my hangar for the plywood sheets. Mine are pre-cut and drilled, so in about 40 minutes I have them up. Helps that I have them clearly labeled so I know where they go and which way to hang them.

A few others have installed generators (some very nice whole house automatic ones) so they can have power for about 5 days with their underground tanks, or the stand-by generators that run on either gasoline or propane. Nice, but I haven’t done that.

A very few houses were built with hurricane shutters that roll down over the windows. Very nice, but very expensive.

Fortunately building codes have improved requiring better construction and materials that help hold-up against storms. That has been improving for the last 25 years of construction. But there is the majority built before better code requirements. And then there are the trailer parks and RV sites. They generally just disappear when hit. Those are the people who go to the established government shelters as it approaches.

So there are several different ways to approach the issue. Sadly many (maybe most) do nothing. Don’t even lay in food and water. Or batteries. They are the ones who scream loudest for emergency government assistance.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/27/22 11:54 PM

Looking at this https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/161142.shtml?cone#contents in last 5 hours, looks like its turning more NE

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 12:29 AM

More from the educated, and also smart guys at Eye on the Storm. An update:

"Hurricane warnings were extended southward along Florida’s southern Gulf Coast late Tuesday afternoon, encompassing the Naples area and Marco Island, as category 3 Hurricane Ian steadily intensified. An eastward jog in Ian’s track on Tuesday has resulted in some major shifts in where and when Ian could make landfall. Regardless of its landfall point, Ian will bring destructive hurricane impacts to large parts of Florida, including torrential rains and flooding, dangerous storm surge, and high winds."

Good Info

These two guys have been my go to guys for hurricane info for almost twenty years. They were originally a team at Weather Underground, which was bought out by Big Blue. They moved to that new place. Smart guys.

The main guy Jeff Masters, had a near death experience on a hurricane hunter and said...Nahhhh

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 01:14 AM

This is crazy scary. It wants to take entire Florida out.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/220203.shtml?rainqpf#contents

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 02:19 AM

It's a plot by all those lawn guys... they are controlling the weather...LawnCorp!

The rain, in most cases, is a minor component of the devastation caused by hurricanes, unless you have no roof.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 02:31 AM

Oh wow. like I said it's a BIG storm. Hollywood, FL, on the opposite coast Ian will make landfall. I love the "possible" tornado line...that or a 140 kt gust!

Twitt Land don't know if it will work

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 03:05 AM

"All signs indicate we may be about to witness one of the worst weather disasters in U.S. history unfold in the next 72 hours." Likely another $100+ billion dollar storm. Some maps are no longer showing the number 3 anymore at landfall ....but have replaced it with a 4.

NHC .... "However, it is expected that this large system will be fairly resilient to the shear and dry air before landfall.
Therefore, the official intensity forecast continues to show Ian reaching the coast with category 4 intensity. Since radar imagery
indicates that an eyewall replacement is probably underway, this could result in a larger eye evolving overnight. Interests along
the Florida west coast in the Hurricane Warning area should be prepared for a large and destructive hurricane"

Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nixer
It's a plot by all those lawn guys... they are controlling the weather...LawnCorp!

Yeah... Big Grass, the bastages!
Posted By: The Nephilim

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 05:39 AM

Well Prayers out for all thos effected by Ian.. Stay Safe!!

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 06:09 AM

[Linked Image]

Attached picture FB_IMG_1664343340753.jpg
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 11:18 AM

Latest is that it is almost a Cat 5 but the eye will pass south of Tampa and head inland. Some area will have a 12ft storm surge and up to 20" of rain.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 11:52 AM

Good one CyBer.

Light rain here and some light wind. Most forecasts for my neck of the woods are a bunch of rain and maybe some 50mph gusts. So far gonna ride it out in my tin can. Fingers crossed for power. I am around a half mile from the hospital, courthouse, city hall and the main sheriffs office, priority spots for power restoration.

If I go out to my friends at best I'll be trapped there for days just by the impassable (for me) roads. In Irma, his power was out almost two weeks, I never lost power. He has lots of big old trees everywhere, mine are out of range to drop on me.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 11:57 AM

Thanks for the chuckle this morning CyBerkut. The last image is pretty much the best thing to do ..... get your family and whatever valuables you can carry in the car if you're anywhere near the coast and go to a shelter or a friends house further inland. This won't be pretty. I told my older son to not show his face in Florida for the next several years - his name is Ian.

It is expected to make landfall just south of Venice and north of Charlotte Harbor in the early afternoon Wednesday

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 12:23 PM

The time to evacuate is past. Roads are so congested you won’t make any progress and will get caught on the road by the storm.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 12:40 PM

It's looking pretty bad. Tonight to tomorrow is what weather people are calling
one of the worst weather events they’ve ever seen. a dangerous, damaging, generational storm

I pray for everyone who didn't get out and pray for everyone who did. I cannot even imagine what they will find when they return after the hurricane is over.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/28/weather/hurricane-ian-florida-path-wednesday/index.html

To the members here who are in the path of Ian, I hope you are not near the ocean and are miles inland.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 01:23 PM

I’m on the coast.
Posted By: KRT_Bong

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 02:18 PM

I'm in Manatee county now, Bradenton Fla. It's looking like its going towards Punta Gorda about 1.5 hours south, Jim Cantore left Clearwater to go there so I've got my fingers crossed. If the power would stop blipping I might get through this post. We got shutters up, theres lots of small debris leaves twigs and dead palm fronds but it's not to bad, typical of any Florida storm and I'm on high ground Evac level E. I actually was supposed to pick up a friend last night from the Airport and of course they cancelled all flights so it's rescheduled to Friday, hopefully.
So Far So Good thumbsup

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 02:21 PM

Good to hear from you KRT_Bong.

Just took a drive to check on a friend. I literally passed more Sandhill cranes then cars! 4 vs 3. Calm before the storm here.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 02:33 PM

Good to hear from you KRT. That 1.5 hours you mentioned is about 65 miles so everyone understands. That should put you out of the eye wall but still in hurricane force winds.
Posted By: DBond

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 02:53 PM

Who you foolin' OG? I've been to Florida and at the speeds people drive there an hour and a half is 165 miles, except near Tampa where it's about 4.

Stay safe

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 02:58 PM

This storm keeps making me scratch my head and go Huhhh. duh

Every major cane I have dealt with had rapidly spinning, small tight eyes. I always surmised that is how they spawn all those tornadoes in the eyewall. In fact an eyewall producing CAT IV or V winds is theoretically one freaking giant EF 3 tornado! This one is maybe double or even triple the size I would expect from a major cane.

You guys seen the pictures of Tampa Bay with all the water sucked out?

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 03:04 PM

No, any links to the pictures of that ?

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 03:09 PM

A pic and some video here:

Link

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 03:23 PM

Idiots out walking where the water usually is.. I would be expecting them to come back at any time
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 04:10 PM

Saw one photo of that on a restaurant wall in St Pete once.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 04:15 PM

Just checking on you guys...

My niece lives in North Port (close to parents of Brian Laundrie, the guy who killed girlfriend Gabby Petito and them himself, I think) and they've lost some roofing tiles already. I'm surprised they didn't wait it out in Miami where her husband's family lives (of Cuban descent).

Stay safe.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 04:31 PM

Go to Gulfster.com

Select Cams

scroll to bottom to Naples Pier, which is normally 20' off the water. Be afraid.

Can't direct link, won't work.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 04:36 PM

Correction the pier is normally about +12' above sea level.

This is why you leave if you are on the coast. Don't wait for the government to tell you, just go.

It's gone, the cam I mean. It was an amazing view.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 04:39 PM

I went to the site but couldn’t get that camera to open. Says no camera.

https://www.surfline.com/surf-repor...6a7708b16?camId=59b223cca336735a6a5a9f83

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 04:51 PM

It lasted like 2 minutes for me, went to stir my chili and it died. Pure, Raw power.

Here's another, soaking wet though.

https://www.pureflorida.com/beaches/live-beach-cam/

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 05:06 PM

Thanks Nixer ..... i have to wonder how long before the cam is also gone with the wind

12:26 CST here can no longer see through the cam ....too much rain

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 05:21 PM

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/florida/tampa/?cam=tampa

https://www.pureflorida.com/beaches/live-beach-cam/

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by MarkG

My niece lives in North Port (close to parents of Brian Laundrie, the guy who killed girlfriend Gabby Petito and them himself, I think) and they've lost some roofing tiles already. I'm surprised they didn't wait it out in Miami where her husband's family lives (of Cuban descent).

Stay safe.

North Port is in the direct path. Looks like the eye will cross over there. I hope she is OK. They are going to get hammered. Going to be a long recovery.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 06:04 PM

Here's an interesting cam. Water seems to being blown out vs blown in. I wish it had a map also, to try and sort out what is happening. Sailboats are aground I think.

Charlotte harbor cam

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 06:24 PM

Stay safe.

North Port is in the direct path. Looks like the eye will cross over there. I hope she is OK. They are going to get hammered. Going to be a long recovery.

Their power is out, losing some siding now, texts not getting through, but my brother (her father) is still in communication via something called WhatsApp. They're already barricaded in a closet and the eye is still two hours away! eek

Their decision to shelter in place...I dunno. nope

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 06:29 PM

Yeeesh, from the looks of this storm this is not one you want to ride out, given the choice. May God be with them.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 06:49 PM

All the webcams are going down in the main impact area.

Naples is under water from what I can see. As of around 1230 a webcam showed this:

Link to last cam shot

High tide around 1730 I believe.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 06:50 PM

Also, lots of bankrupt/bailed out insurance companies on the menu.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 07:08 PM

What was the worse hurricane in US? Katrina? I hope Ian won't be worse than Katrina.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 07:20 PM

No, any links to the pictures of that ?

https://www.tiktok.com/@nbclx/video/7148478366339943722

Those people are walking on it? Doesn't the water returns in a massive wave?

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/28/1125603819/hurricane-ian-sucked-water-away-florida

https://www.fox13news.com/weather/hurricane-ian-drains-water-across-tampa-bay-area

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 07:23 PM

Much more populated areas affected than Katrina, Katrina's major storm surge mainly affected, and killed people in rural areas in MS, and trashed Biloxi. New Orleans was just good old flooding because it is BELOW sea level and the levees were "neglected".

There will be a million plus people without power by tomorrow morning, bet on it. Don't even want to think about deaths, but numerous for sure. Property damage in the mega-billions.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 07:26 PM

I am not in Florida or near the hurricane, just seeing the news so far and thinking about what is still to come, I want to cry.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 07:53 PM

Here's an interesting cam. Water seems to being blown out vs blown in. I wish it had a map also, to try and sort out what is happening. Sailboats are aground I think.

Charlotte harbor cam

Depends on the wind direction On the south side the wind is driving the water in while on the north side the wind is driving out the water out.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 08:19 PM

Fox just said we are already over 1,000,000 w/o power (including my friend I was gonna go stay with!). At this point, this early after landfall, gonna be multi-millions w/o power. Many MIA for sure.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 08:27 PM

Stay safe.

Their power is out, losing some siding now, texts not getting through, but my brother (her father) is still in communication via something called WhatsApp. They're already barricaded in a closet and the eye is still two hours away! eek

Their decision to shelter in place...I dunno. nope

At least the eye is going to miss them and pass just to the East. A small blessing.
Posted By: wormfood

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 08:41 PM

I fear Nixer is right, and this is gonna be ugly.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 09:04 PM

Here is an article with some great info and pictures. This will only be the start of it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Category-1-hurricane-nears-Cuba-NHC.html
Posted By: rollnloop.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 09:20 PM

That is quite sobering, hope you'll all be safe.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 09:27 PM

I took a flight through Tampa and the eye wall this afternoon in MS Flight Simulator and the experience was quite something. There were a lot of users online flying there, too.

The outer edge of the eye wall:
[Linked Image]

So deep:
[Linked Image]

The inner eye wall:
[Linked Image]

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 09:34 PM

What? The game updates to use real satellite images?

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 09:39 PM

Yes, the sim models weather in real time using global weather measurements.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Yes, the sim models weather in real time using global weather measurements.

Like How you corrected "game".

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 09:52 PM

Incredible!

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 10:08 PM

Scroll down to the shark swimming down the street and the scary Marina vid after it. God help those people.

Link

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 10:13 PM

I just saw a live Tik Tok. Someone in a condo tower who stay put and she was looking out of the window at the high water and cars floating away including hers.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

Those people are walking on it? Doesn't the water returns in a massive wave?

Tsunami tides come back in quickly. I don't know about hurricane driven waves, but with it being a different mechanism, I'd guess the return / surge would be somewhat slower than what you see with tsunamis. That's just supposition on my part, though. I sure wouldn't walk out very far into it... moving water is powerful stuff and needs to be respected.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 10:22 PM

Sucked the water out of Tampa Bay ..... that's crazy !

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 10:31 PM

What was the worse hurricane in US? Katrina? I hope Ian won't be worse than Katrina.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...ing-hurricanes-in-us-history/ss-AA12lC6W

https://news.yahoo.com/10-worst-hurricanes-hit-us-190232409.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...ory-before-and-after-pictures/ss-AAWwp75

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 10:47 PM

My guess is economically this will be the most devastating hurricane in history.

Loss of life wise remains to be seen, and I sincerely hope it is not even close. Wouldn't bet on it though.

It's certainly educating the younger generation of Florida residents and all our new "imports" what storm surge is. IF they are paying attention.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/28/22 11:34 PM

a lot or most of the impacted communities I'm guessing are at or not many feet above see level so with an 18 ft storm surge i'll guess and say more $ loss will be from the ocean surge than the wind ?

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 12:11 AM

Affirmative Hag, loss of life too. In the midst of all this human and property tragedy, I just saw something that kinda made my brain boil. Some rocket scientist in the Naples FD decided it was better to have his equipment available to travel underwater to fight a underwater fire, then you know like...maybe save the equipment to fight future fires, Absolutely unfreakinbelievable/

We live in unique times.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 12:38 AM

Watch Tik Tok for 2 hours now. It's worse with each new video I see. I am very depressed now. There will be countless deaths.

https://www.tiktok.com/@alexa_santucci/video/7148515624795376938

https://www.tiktok.com/@mamaproducts17/video/7148491776213519658

https://www.tiktok.com/@mamaproducts17/video/7148534146401619246

This poor lady, 3 hours ago

https://www.tiktok.com/@bigbe44/video/7148535339756571950

1 hour ago

https://www.tiktok.com/@bigbe44/video/7148574093640699182

now, to be in the dark, in her home destroyed by water, there could be snakes, gators in the water, I can't even fathom the fear. You can't do anything. You can't even sleep. Every noise you hear it's scary.

https://www.tiktok.com/@bigbe44/video/7148589518688390442

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 12:47 AM

I know there have been times in Galveston when the police took peoples names or told them to leave an ID on them so their bodies could be more quickly identified because they refused to leave.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 12:55 AM

Several of the airfields in the hurricane area are no longer reporting data. I was watching METARS then they started going down. Punta Gorda was reporting winds of 125 and then it went dead.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 01:06 AM

KRT, what’s your status ?

Still have power ?

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 02:58 AM

Just on TV now: Ian is now a category 2 hurricane. That's good news. Bad news is 1.7 million without power and worse to come cos now it's going to move slow over land and keep raining on everywhere that is underwater.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 03:13 AM

Fort Myers flooding timelapse

https://www.tiktok.com/@floridahurricanetok/video/7148572957516877102

Shark in water

https://www.tiktok.com/@floridahurricanetok/video/7148569274418728238

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 09:47 AM

Woke up at Oh dark hundred to power still on, light rain and a light breeze.

I am good, as soon as I have a big celebratory breakfast I'll start looking at the bad news.

edit: Maybe some 20 mph gusts now that I am awake, and still raining. Just on the last gasp of the west edge of the storm.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 10:29 AM

I'm glad to hear you are ok Nixer. All I thankfully got in the Miami area was some rain in the morning and then some light wind gusts in the afternoon. That's it.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 11:58 AM

Hurricane is by me and I am blessed with no damage and surprisingly have power. For me it has become a non-issue event. Not so for others.

Millions of people have had their lives disrupted and their futures changed. And sadly some have lost their lives.

It will be a long recovery. Some areas will never fully recover.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 12:08 PM

Millions of people have had their lives disrupted and their futures changed. And sadly some have lost their lives.

Right now the death toll in Lee County is being cited as "in the hundreds". Horrible.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 12:22 PM

Thanks Panzer, glad you guys missed it also. OG that sounds good. CyBer ??? Bong???

I had steady light rain since around noon yesterday. Max gusts of maybe 20 kts earlier, now a breezy 10 kts or so with higher gusts out of the NNE and nice and cool, like mid sixties. I have all my windows open and airing the place out.

Dodged the bullet again. another 10 to 15 degrees more north in direction and it would have been bad here, not SW FL bad but bad.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 01:17 PM

I am hoping the feared number dead is just media sensationalism. I know there is a great deal of suffering going on down there right now. I wish you all luck.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 01:22 PM

I think that may be the case.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 01:56 PM

Thanks Panzer, glad you guys missed it also. OG that sounds good. CyBer ??? Bong???

Same as oldgrognard. I'm a bit further north, so Ian's eye passed even further away from my location. Glad to see you and Panzer are OK. Hopefully Bong is too.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 02:27 PM

My brother is in Western Daytona beach, about 2 miles NW of the speedway which is underwater!

His street is flooded up to his knees, which means about a foot and half more and it's at slab level. He said he tried to unclog the drain in the street but no joy, probably wherever it drains to is underwater also. He's had no power since around midnight.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 02:33 PM

Any word ebud ?

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 02:36 PM

My brother is in Western Daytona beach, about 2 miles NW of the speedway which is underwater!

His street is flooded up to his knees, which means about a foot and half more and it's at slab level. He said he tried to unclog the drain in the street but no joy, probably wherever it drains to is underwater also. He's had no power since around midnight.

Daytona was hit really bad. I'm really sorry to hear that about your brother but most importantly he's physically ok.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 03:06 PM

Wow, western Daytona is underwater? O_O I know the town very well, and that's nuts.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 03:34 PM

Good to know the lot of you are okay. Every member residing in Florida have checked in?

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 04:28 PM

That pier in Naples I tried to link the cam for you guys yesterday...It is reported MIA!

A big modern concrete pier!

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 04:35 PM

Good to know the lot of you are okay. Every member residing in Florida have checked in?

Waiting to hear from KRT and ebud.

Wonder if an old member, Magnum, is still living in Naples. Haven’t heard from him in a couple years now.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 04:53 PM

^ EDIT: I was thinking of former posters and I think Streakeagle is in Tampa, which we know was spared from the worst.

++++++++++

Got word from niece and husband who are shaken but fine. The house they rent, not so much. Plenty of water damage (bedroom and bathroom flooded), roof damaged and hole in side of house (???) They can't leave their home yet due to flooding, but are in good spirits just to be alive. Doubt they'll stick around if there's a next time.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 04:59 PM

Wonder if an old member, Magnum, is still living in Naples. Haven’t heard from him in a couple years now.

I have him as a friend on Steam so I'll see if I can contact him.

edit: I just sent him an offline message so hopefully he will see it when he logs into Steam again.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 05:15 PM

I will pray for their safety .

Last Tik Tok video I saw at 2 am was a girl in a parking garage. She didn't say if she was there with others or alone. She didn't say how she got there but she was soaked, only explanation is she walked there in the storm in the dark in high water. She said her home is gone, her neighbors are gone, her entire neighborhood is gone. She didn't say what city she was in. She said I am at the parking garage across from (couldn't hear it from the noise), someone please come help me.

Then her feed went off. I have been thinking about her all night and today. I hope she is still safe in that parking garage and she is with others. I can't imagine in that garage in the dark cold wet hungry scared alone.

I search for her feed and account but her name was Ana and there are too many Ana on Tik Tok. Then the hurricane Tik Tok were less and less. None this morning. I think cell phone service are out or many folks cell phones batteries are dead.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I have him as a friend on Steam so I'll see if I can contact him.

edit: I just sent him an offline message so hopefully he will see it when he logs into Steam again.

Say hello for me and tell him I was thinking of him.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 05:27 PM

Say hello for me and tell him I was thinking of him.

Will do OG!
Posted By: ebud

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 05:56 PM

Any word ebud ?

Thanks for asking smile I slept like a baby but the wife was up freaking out all night. We did not lose power, don't live near any flood areas, all of the trees around us blocked a lot of the wind...no downed trees on the property... we got really really lucky. We live between Orlando and Oviedo in an unincorporated area so we have to deal with the trees down on our private road, but between myself and my 2 neighbors on our road we can make short work of them tomorrow. All good. I feel bad for even people I know just a couple miles away sitting in a flooded area.

Pics from this morning.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YSJ6GLDLsErsA8GY9

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/29/22 06:44 PM

Glad all you guys are ok ..... that was one ugly experience for many, many people to go through. Let's hope the early reports of the number of people who didn't make it is way off. On the property damage end of things its being reported that only around 19% of those people even had National Flood Insurance.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/30/22 12:55 AM

How did humans live before electric service

Customers Tracked: 11,125,208
Customers Out: 2,345,136

https://poweroutage.us/area/state/florida

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurric...ical-storm-damage/?intcid=CNI-00-10aaa3b

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/30/22 10:33 AM

Um...very sweaty and smelly?

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/30/22 11:11 AM

They zapped themselves to get rid of sticky and smelly?

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/30/22 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK

They zapped themselves to get rid of sticky and smelly?

No A/C and no electric fans means that during the summer time most people were sweating profusely especially in that ridiculously stifling Victorian and Edwardian era clothing. Lots of sweat also equates to bad body smells.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/30/22 12:32 PM

Now the entire South Carolina coastline is under a hurricane watch.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/30/22 02:13 PM

Lets hope its not Charleston, they see tidal flooding every 4 or 5 days

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/30/22 02:52 PM

Big RED/yellow rain bands hitting Charleston right now...

along with the rest of South Carolina, most of North Carolina and parts of Virginia! The monster lives! 85 mph winds with some storm surge predicted.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/30/22 04:28 PM

Peasants in the middle ages were lucky to bathe once a month.

Royalty often bathed in flower petals to mask their smell. Then again, most of North America's descendants came from a higher latitude so the weather was a bit cooler, generally, than the south.

There's a reason most of us don't camp during the summer months, after mid-May...

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/30/22 04:58 PM

I bath about once per week - it keeps the mosquitoes away

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/30/22 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Haggart
I bath about once per week - it keeps the mosquitoes away

And besides, natural body oils mixed with dirt can make you waterproof. That can come in handy.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/30/22 06:20 PM

absolutely !

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/30/22 10:21 PM

If I was told to go to work and make waffles, it's NO!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/30/fema-waffle-house-index-hurricane-ian-makes-landfall-again.html

https://abc11.com/waffle-house-index-open-hurricane-food/12282129/

https://www.wafflehouse.com/how-to-measure-a-storms-fury-one-breakfast-at-a-time/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/waffle-house-hurricane/

https://thetakeout.com/waffle-house-index-hurricane-ian-florida-disney-world-1849598747

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...e-still-closed-because-of-hurricane-ian/

Re: Hurricane Ian - 09/30/22 11:59 PM

42 lives lost frown https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/30/weat...path-florida-aftermath-friday/index.html

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/01/22 10:31 AM

Many of the lives lost were in Lee County and from what I've read it appears those responsible for calling evacuation of that county called it too late when other counties/areas already had

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/01/22 03:26 PM

Where are you coming up with that Haggart ?

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/01/22 03:55 PM

just google it you'll see it in several places

Here's one: https://www.tampabay.com/hurricane/...a-scrambled-was-there-enough-time-leave/

from that article ...." When Lee County ordered evacuations on Tuesday morning, she had an instant reaction: Why did they wait so long? Morong said she had been ready to go earlier but the timing of the order meant that she and her neighbors had to leave when it was already storming outside, and it was too late to find an available room out of harm’s way. She ended up at an AirBnB in Southeast Florida.

“It doesn’t make sense,” she said. “We were always in the zone.” Morong said she felt more informed by local weather reports by news stations than by her county’s officials. “I may not have evacuated if it had not been for the news reports,” Morong said. “They were the ones who told us of the severity of the storm surge and the danger.”

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/01/22 05:28 PM

"Morong said she had been ready to go earlier but the timing of the order meant that she and her neighbors had to leave when it was already storming outside,...."

So why didn't she go? Why did she need a government order to do what she was,already prepared to do and knew she should do?

Adults need to take personal responsibility and stop looking to government agencies as "mommy and daddy" telling them like little children how to live their lives.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/01/22 05:42 PM

Timing of evacuations is part of the planning so that not everyone goes at once creating a huge bottleneck on the roads .... that's why evacuctions need to be planned and people should go when instructed to do so. However it appears that Lee County officials called the boat away a bit too late for people who were already in high risk areas.

"some residents recalled that they had little time to evacuate. Dana Ferguson, 33, a medical assistant in Fort Myers, said she had been at work when the first text message appeared on her phone Tuesday morning. By the time she arrived home, it was too late to find anywhere to go"

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/01/22 06:58 PM

The hurricane track changed. If you are being fair and realistic you have to see that.

Earlier evacuation orders were issued in Tampa and my area. We then didn’t need to. Before Tuesday they were not in the expected landfall area. Then they were.

Are you expecting them to know exactly ? And if they issue larger areas the congestion is worse, the shelters get swamped, gasoline runs out everywhere and no one can move. Also larger areas of evacuation orders cause people to take them less seriously. “They told us to evacuate last time and it was nothing; so I’m ignoring it this time.”

The persons in that are just looking to be victims and blame others. The one claiming that she saw they were always in the possible danger area; if that is what she believes then why didn’t she go ? You can always find those wanting to pin the blame on anyone but themselves.

Perfection is unobtainable.

Unless you are just trying to make a mountain.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/01/22 07:23 PM

this was posted Monday by NHC at 11:00 am

https://www.klove.com/news/tech-sci...-a-major-flood-concern-for-florida-36537

As you can see from the map ..... the storm surge potential of 9 feet goes all the way to Bonita Beach. Lee County officials new the risks but decided not to issue evacuation for parts (maybe zone C) of Lee County until Tuesday. Also those counties from Lee to north of Tampa were likely in the potential hurricane strike zone as it's not always possible to accurately predict which county the storms eye will actually pass over.until the last day perhaps.

[Linked Image]

that purple includes Lee County

orange is zone B, yellow is zone C
https://www.pineisland-eagle.com/20...for-all-of-evacuation-zone-a-parts-of-b/

from Lee County website on evacuation:
https://www.leegov.com/publicsafety/Documents/Emergency%20Management/ZONE%20C.pdf

"While the risk is less, Zone C is still vulnerable to potentially fatal levels of storm surge flooding. When Will I Be Ordered to Evacuate?
Zone C will be evacuated later than Zone A or Zone B. This will allow decision makers more time to safely evaluate options to either evacuate or hunker down. Even though later in timing, weather will still be calm and time will be sufficient to move to safety if you are prepared"

Well that strategy didn't work out too well regardless of which zone went first or last. Kevin Ruane, a Lee County commissioner and a former mayor of Sanibel, said the county had postponed ordering an extensive evacuation because the earlier hurricane modeling had shown the storm heading farther north. Well, i guess all those purple and red colors on the storm tropical force wind map didn't mean much to them. Lee County was only a little over 100 miles away from the Tampa area and was already by the 26th on a tropical storm watch. This was almost a Cat 5 storm ....no time to take chances. NHC isn't always dead on with which county the Hurricane will hit first. Lee County messed up and it may have cost some folks their lives.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/01/22 07:31 PM

Your link makes it clear that it was still tracking North to Tampa.

Yes, pretty much the whole west coast of Florida was on hurricane watch or warning and surge flooding was predicted for long stretches. Look where the red was. But it changed.

So what.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/01/22 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4
So why didn't she go? Why did she need a government order to do what she was,already prepared to do and knew she should do?

Adults need to take personal responsibility and stop looking to government agencies as "mommy and daddy" telling them like little children how to live their lives.

I agree with you, F4UDash4. One week of time before Ian landed and peeps wait until last minute to go to store causing chaos and hours long lines.

Also if you live in Florida with yearly hurricane season: water, batteries, flashlight, canned food should always be in the house. Same for wooden boards. You use it to cover the windows in one of the other year, you don't throw them away. Put them somewhere for future needs.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/01/22 07:59 PM

.. just looking to be victims and blame others.

That's modern man in a nutshell.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/01/22 11:32 PM

Situation is going worse (cries) https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...lorida-south-carolina-virginia-rcna50312

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 06:19 AM

Hurricane Ian: They stayed for the storm - what happens now?

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 01:27 PM

Babcock Ranch. A Solar community in Florida that made it through Ian

“It’s a great case study to show that it can be done right, if you build in the right place and do it the right way,”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/02/us/solar-babcock-ranch-florida-hurricane-ian-climate/index.html

An interesting note: Hurricane Orlene on Mexico's west coast went from a Cat 1 storm to a Cat 4 in roughly 12 hrs. That's crazy!

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 02:15 PM

“It’s a great case study to show that it can be done right, if you build in the right place and do it the right way,”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/02/us/solar-babcock-ranch-florida-hurricane-ian-climate/index.html

The solar array alone cost between $300-400 million. At $350m that is $175,000 each for the 2000 households. Just for the solar farm.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 02:19 PM

The solar array alone cost between $300-400 million. At $350m that is $175,000 each for the 2000 households. Just for the solar farm.

Babcock Ranch recently earned a spot on RCLCO Real Estate Advisor's top 50 list, ranking 39th among the country's top-selling master-planned communities.Nov 10, 2020. Houses go from 200K to 1 million.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 02:36 PM

Babcock Ranch recently earned a spot on RCLCO Real Estate Advisor's top 50 list, ranking 39th among the country's top-selling master-planned communities.Nov 10, 2020. Houses go from 200K to 1 million.

To my point, rich folk can afford this. Not the masses.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 02:43 PM

Well I could afford a 200K house and I'm not wealthy and most people don't pay out 200K ....they pay it out over 15 to 30 yrs.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 02:54 PM

Well I could afford a 200K house and I'm not wealthy and most people don't pay out 200K ....they pay it out over 15 to 30 yrs.

If they are paying it out over 15 to 30 years, they are paying out a lot more that 200K.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by CyBerkut

If they are paying it out over 15 to 30 years, they are paying out a lot more that 200K.

Yea like most loans but unless the annual homeowners fees to live in this neighboorhood in Florida are huge .... most Americans who are looking for a home to buy can get in on the 200K homes. HOA fees are $140/month and ISD fees are $375/annual. ISD fees are really low ..... our ISD fees here are closer to $2,500/yr

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 04:09 PM

HOA fee of $140/month. eek

Mine is about $100/year.

I'm sure they are getting more services for that, but yikes! No thanks.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 04:18 PM

HOA of 140 per month is nothing! My mom pays 300 per month HOA for her one bedroom condo in Miami.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 04:19 PM

I can too but I can't afford (or at least choose not to) a $200k house AND a $175k share of a solar farm.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 04:52 PM

Just a quick update.
Magnum, Chipwich, Navynuke99, and piper weathered the storm.

Magnum:
Originally Posted by "Magnum50"

Code
https://forums.mudspike.com/t/hurricane-ian-thread/14491/25?u=wheelsup_cavu

Thanks, I'm good... for once glad I can't afford to live near the beach.

Wind and rain, no damage or flooding here since I live 5 miles inland. Had no power for 24 hrs but up and running now.

After the last major hurricane, Irene 5 yrs ago, did so much damage to us, and lost power for 10 days I prepared, new roof, new windows etc etc and a nice generator... which all paid off for me. Didn't even get to use it long, which I'm glad of.

Thanks again.

chipwich:
Originally Posted by "chipwich"

Code
https://forums.mudspike.com/t/hurricane-ian-thread/14491/28?u=wheelsup_cavu

A neighbor just sent a photo. The main dock looks intact and the floating dock is hung up on the left side. But it could have been far worse. We can fix this.

![image|375x500](upload://hM5SYGDHua3bEISa73BpWNOLhad.jpeg)

Navynuke99
Originally Posted by "Navynuke99"

Code
https://forums.mudspike.com/t/hurricane-ian-thread/14491/30?u=wheelsup_cavu

@piper, how are you doing? I'm not sure which parts of town are still without power at the moment.

piper:
Originally Posted by "piper"

Code
https://forums.mudspike.com/t/hurricane-ian-thread/14491/32?u=wheelsup_cavu

I'm fine. Thanks for asking.
Neighborhood is a mess from all the wind, but I have power so all is good.

Except for Magnum who posted early in the morning of October 01, California time, all three of the others I mentioned have posted within the last 24 hours.

Wheels

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 05:12 PM

Thanks for that update.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 05:54 PM

smile excellent !

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 09:40 PM

Other than the Naples airport, all the METARS reporting stations are down through that area.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 10:36 PM

Sanibel Island

https://www.tiktok.com/@fl_aircraft_mechanic/video/7149913417556512043

Sanible Causeway

https://www.tiktok.com/@fl_aircraft_mechanic/video/7149724484897901866

Fort Myers

https://www.tiktok.com/@fl_aircraft_mechanic/video/7149723152443149614

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/02/22 11:53 PM

As I was taking a shower I thought of the hundreds of thousands of people who can’t do such a simple thing. Fortunately it has not been raining following the hurricane. So they have been spared that additional scourge.

Think of your blessings and be thankful.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 12:40 AM

Tampa Bay playing foortball right now in Tampa Bay. Didn't they had a hurricane? Millions without electric. Millions folks affected. How the stadium has electric. Why they didn't cancel the game.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 12:58 AM

What do you mean “How the stadium has electric.” ?

That is very unclear to me.
Posted By: wormfood

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 03:20 AM

300 a month in HOA fees is about average around here. Most single family houses don't and if you're in a town home or condo it can be upwards of 600-700. That's how they get ya, try to save money buying a "cheaper" townhome and they slap you with hefty HOAs.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 05:11 AM

Whaaa ?
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by wormfood
300 a month in HOA fees is about average around here. Most single family houses don't and if you're in a town home or condo it can be upwards of 600-700. That's how they get ya, try to save money buying a "cheaper" townhome and they slap you with hefty HOAs.

Yep the HOA fees make most Condo's and Townhomes prices unattractive out here too.

Whaaa ?

I am guessing this was about the HOA fee?
I know that my friends mom was paying $760 a month in HOA fees on her place just last year. One of the reasons they sold the place was that the fees were going to go up again. Quite frankly I was flabbergasted that anyone bought it.

Wheels

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 10:32 AM

Whaaa ?

Yup. The difference in the cost of living between North Florida and South Florida is staggering.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 02:56 PM

As I was taking a shower I thought of the hundreds of thousands of people who can’t do such a simple thing. Fortunately it has not been raining following the hurricane. So they have been spared that additional scourge.

Think of your blessings and be thankful.

thumbsup

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 03:02 PM

Whaaa ?

Yup. The difference in the cost of living between North Florida and South Florida is staggering.

So lets say you bought a 1500 sq ft house ....... on average what would be a realistc price difference that someone would pay for the house in N. Florida vs S. Florida ? (assuming lot size the same, and no significant differences in school districts, same bulding materials and interior, etc ). Or is only cost of living that excludes housing prices the big difference ?

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 04:18 PM

Or is only cost of living that excludes housing prices the big difference ?

Both housing and cost of living are very different but it's more pronounced with housing. In my area, a 1500 sq foot house will run you between 350-400k. In northern Florida that same house would would probably sell for about 200k.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 04:29 PM

Or is only cost of living that excludes housing prices the big difference ?

Both housing and cost of living are very different but it's more pronounced with housing. In my area, a 1500 sq foot house will run you between 350-400k. In northern Florida that same house would would probably sell for about 200k.

eek

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 05:15 PM

Hag, another big difference is property tax, local fees, and insurance. Much higher in South Florida.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 05:16 PM

Hag, another big difference is property tax, local fees, and insurance. Much higher in South Florida.

Excellent points indeed and especially concerning the homeowner's insurance. The rates in South Florida have really reached absurd levels.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 07:16 PM

I have been hearing that MANY people don;t have insurance because it is too expensive and that many insurance companie have pulled out of the house insurance business in Florida.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/03/22 08:03 PM

Excellent points indeed and especially concerning the homeowner's insurance. The rates in South Florida have really reached absurd levels.

And now after this hurricane its only going to get worse, yikes

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/04/22 01:17 AM

I lost power at 4pm on Wednesday and that came back on at Noon Friday and we got internet and cable back at 6 on Monday, people on streets a block away had power.. Many Traffic Lights out managed to claim a few idiots, lots of tree limbs and palm trees down. We were extremely lucky.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/04/22 01:29 AM

Glad to hear u okay KRT and have power. I've been through a some ugly storms myself on the Texas coast & have no desire to repeat any of them.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/04/22 10:33 AM

Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing but I've got my eye on two disturbances down south near South America and Africa.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/04/22 07:01 PM

Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing but I've got my eye on two disturbances down south near South America and Africa.

the first disturbance (orange-colored X) looks to be the greater threat so far as the second disturbance is heading NW direction

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/04/22 07:05 PM

the first disturbance (orange-colored X) looks to be the greater threat so far as the second disturbance is heading NW direction

Agreed. Let's just hope that closer system by Venezuela fades away.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/05/22 10:34 PM

The deaths continues https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/10/05/hurricane-ian-florida-victims/

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/06/22 06:12 PM

Most of the airfield METAR stations are operational now.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/06/22 06:21 PM

Just got the latest update from NOAA:

Tropical disturbance #13 is tracking to go to Central America while Tropical depression #12 is still way out in the middle of the Atlantic and it's still too early to track with any accuracy.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/06/22 06:25 PM

I find BoatUS is a good site for info. Right now there are no active Storms that it s tracking.

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advic...edium=redirect&utm_campaign=redirect

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/07/22 10:54 AM

Tropical depression #12 has dissipated but Tropical depression #13 is still heading for Central America. Hopefully that one will dissipate as well.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?start#contents

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/07/22 12:54 PM

Add traffic, percentage of rude, obnoxious people in public (mostly from places having names that begin with New), and the fact I take take a walk at 10'oclock at night in poorly lit streets and not be worried about it. Oh, and I have locked my doors less than five or six times in the over 6 years I have lived here. reading

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/07/22 01:05 PM

Nixer's post is 100% on target.

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/08/22 11:22 AM

Several times I've threatned Panzer with moving in next door biggrin

Re: Hurricane Ian - 10/08/22 01:15 PM

Several times I've threatned Panzer with moving in next door biggrin

Now, now... Let's not force this into pweC territory! winkngrin
© 2024 SimHQ Forums